Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

The Ape of Naples posted:

To be fair, just because he has a Facebook post saying he was at the ranch I wouldn't trust that that was true.

EDIT VVVV That's true. Whether they were there or not, It still shows allegiance.

There's a video of "Jarad Miller" being interviewed at the ranch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6b2y9jVkAo&t=40s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fandyien posted:

This guy was a tremendous rear end in a top hat murderer but I do think that infowars post points to a lot of the serious issues with the way a single weed charge can straight ruin someone's life. Granted, his life wouldn't be as hosed if he didn't react in such an insane way and fixate on being able to keep his guns, but its bullshit he was ever treated that way for reefer.

That's a different crazy person, that was a 'sovereign citizen' who tried to storm a courthouse, these two were teabagger revolutionaries.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Goddamn so many shoes dropping on this poo poo I'm half expecting to find out he was writing articles on Fox Nation, interned at Bain Capitol, mowed Sarah Palins lawn and is a bastard Bush son.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

Welp. There you go.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Waaahhhh, I got busted for dealing an illegal drug why can't I have guns?

Seriously, dude was selling drugs and is upset that he was on probation? If you're going to be angry at the government, at least make it for doing something that is actually legal. Actively breaking the law and then killing cops because you got caught is ridiculous.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

JehovahsWetness posted:

drat this dude is really deep cover!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does being on probation revoke your gun rights? Because they seems like a completely appropriate punishment for disturbing the peace by terrifying a Chili's.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

moths posted:

Does being on probation revoke your gun rights? Because they seems like a completely appropriate punishment for disturbing the peace by terrifying a Chili's.

Depends. Most states revoke some of your civil rights (voting, right to own a gun) if you're a convicted felon, but probation restrictions are usually up to the judge.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Waaahhhh, I got busted for dealing an illegal drug why can't I have guns?

Seriously, dude was selling drugs and is upset that he was on probation? If you're going to be angry at the government, at least make it for doing something that is actually legal. Actively breaking the law and then killing cops because you got caught is ridiculous.

Yeah, why would someone be angry over getting arrested and hounded for a year by the legal system over something as awful as marijuana possession?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Was it dealing or possession?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Fandyien posted:

Yeah, why would someone be angry over getting arrested and hounded for a year by the legal system over something as awful as marijuana possession?

You can be angry about it but it doesn't change the consequences. I'm a WA resident who smoked pot for years before I-502 and I wasn't under any notion that marijuana laws being dumb was going to save me if I got caught somewhere with it on me, so I was careful about all my dealings and rarely smoked away from home. I think they're all just as bullshit as the next burnout but that doesn't mean I'm going to blame someone else if a fed catches me tomorrow.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fandyien posted:

He was a drug dealing meth head with an arrest record, a pile of guns, and a fixation on fringe-y right-wing politics. Whether or not you agree with weed laws, you have to admit that the cops wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't keep a close eye on that dude.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You can be angry about it but it doesn't change the consequences. I'm a WA resident who smoked pot for years before I-502 and I wasn't under any notion that marijuana laws being dumb was going to save me if I got caught somewhere with it on me, so I was careful about all my dealings and rarely smoked away from home. I think they're all just as bullshit as the next burnout but that doesn't mean I'm going to blame someone else if a fed catches me tomorrow.

Zeroisanumber posted:

He was a drug dealing meth head with an arrest record, a pile of guns, and a fixation on fringe-y right-wing politics. Whether or not you agree with weed laws, you have to admit that the cops wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't keep a close eye on that dude.

I don't disagree with you guys. I just really didn't like the tone of that post and the notion that you don't have a genuinely good reason to be angry over a marijuana arrest.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Fandyien posted:

I don't disagree with you guys. I just really didn't like the tone of that post and the notion that you don't have a genuinely good reason to be angry over a marijuana arrest.

You are literally defending the anger of a lunatic who killed police. Yea I know weed laws are bad, but you don't go loving kill people because of it. Try to see the forest through the trees a little

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I disagree, it's perfectly legitimate to blame the government if you're arrested under drug laws because those laws were made on behalf of the government to serve the government (aka funnel money to law enforcement to use for cool new paramilitary toys) to the detriment of everyone else. That doesn't mean you don't take steps to avoid risk and avoid doing anything likely to get you caught, but I refuse to lay blame on people who did absolutely nothing wrong.

Rexicon1 posted:

You are literally defending the anger of a lunatic who killed police. Yea I know weed laws are bad, but you don't go loving kill people because of it. Try to see the forest through the trees a little

No one is defending the guy at all, we're just saying that it's perfectly legitimate to be pissed at the cops and at the government if you're arrested for drugs.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

Show me where I did anything to diminish the murder of police officers? I'm just saying, smugly going "well yeah it's ILLEGAL, idiot!" is counterproductive and hella stupid. There are lots of people who do terrible things but are angry for non-stupid reasons.

ed: also maybe less people who are already inclined towards violent outbursts would actualize them if they weren't given a pretense as good as being unjustly persecuted for possession.

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 9, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Holy crap this story is Mickey and Mallory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH1QmfQnWbg

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 9, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fandyien posted:

ed: also maybe less people who are already inclined towards violent outbursts would actualize them if they weren't given a pretense as good as being unjustly persecuted for possession.
He was dealing marijuana. Probably a distinction without a difference ultimately, but just to clarify.

He said in one of his InfoWars comments that he was dealing to supplement his income (read: drug habit).

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fandyien posted:

While it is valid to be upset about being on probation for a harmless crime, the proper response is to thank your lucky stars you only ended up with probation and diversionary treatment. This guy's anger is completely disproportional to the outrage warranted when you get busted for a nonviolent but illegal act.

Jaywalking is a pretty bullshit crime but if I got a ticket for jaywalking, lost my mind about it and shot a cop it's not an argument in support of decriminalizing jaywalking.

MaxxBot posted:

but I refuse to lay blame on people who did absolutely nothing wrong.

I smell an insane amount of privilege on this guy that he got so upset about being on probation and having to piss in a cup after getting busted for selling weed. It's like starting fires in your kitchen because your parents took away your favorite toy.

Dude's a total manchild. He got charged with felony distribution and apparently avoided jail time, yet this was wasn't good enough for him because he wasn't able to keep guns in the house or smoke weed without risking jail. There's a lot to be said about police militarization and the total nonsense that is the drug war but this guy is a horrible example to demonstrate why those things have negative impact on people.

I agree that selling weed is 'doing nothing wrong' but the proper thing to do is lawyer up and protest, not turn yourself into a spiteful ball of ignorant sputtering outrage.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 9, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Fandyien posted:

These were dangerous, unhinged people. A parking ticket could have set them off.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fandyien posted:

This could easily be construed as not punishing people who feel like they are special above the law snowflakes because we don't want to antagonize them.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well you get into trouble when you engage in counter-factuals based on limited information. He might've radicalized into the anti-government movement anyways.

As an aside, I'm curious what happened to him at the Bundy Ranch. The Ranch people are saying he was asked to leave. They are assuredly covering their rear end on this, but it wouldn't be surprising if the Ranch militia wasn't radical enough for him.

Compare it to this: A lot of counter-terrorist researchers who study Islamist extremism say the dangerous guys are not the ones showing up to the mosque, but the ones who showed up and got asked to leave because they started making extremist statements / criticizing other worshipers as not being true Muslims / and so on. The organized right-wing militias in the U.S. are almost entirely defensive in nature. So when the people who want to kill cops show up, they get pressured out, and the result is them retreating into an isolated, inner world where the radicalization process accelerates into violence.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 9, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So here's some anecdotes:

quote:

The Millers went to Bundy’s ranch, about 80 miles outside of Las Vegas, in April, they said on social media sites. But the militiamen shunned the couple because Jerad Miller had prior felony convictions in Washington State.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/06/09/interior-secretary-jewell-connects-las-vegas-shooting-to-bundy-ranch/

quote:

Ammon Bundy told The Associated Press that Jerad and Amanda Miller were asked to leave his father's ranch after being there for a few days this spring.

He said that while details were still sketchy, the Millers' conduct was the problem. He called the couple "very radical" and said they did not "align themselves" with the protest's main issues.

"Not very many people were asked to leave," he said. "I think they may have been the only ones."

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/cliven-bundy-son-las-vegas-shooters-kicked-off-ranch-107624.html#ixzz34BLmOZ41

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

These people were all over the place, after drudging through their facebook for a bit.

On the subject of drugs:

quote:

Jerad Miller
October 27, 2012
So, my grandmother attempted to scold my about how i didnt like taking urine screens for the fascist probation department. I was harsh on her, but it was something she needed to hear. That the people she voted for, and the people her parents voted for ran under the principal that drugs were bad and drug users were criminals. They stood by while people were getting arrested when they havent touched a person or their property. Sure, some people get high and make stupid decisions. We should not however let them use that as an excuse and blame the drug. It may have been a bad decision to get high, but it sure was a bad decision to rob a bank. People need to be held accountable for bad decisions, yet behind closed doors more people are getting high on all sorts of things that are really bad for you only because its not legal and made by people who dont really know what they are doing. Its time to realize that American policies influence what happens around the world. The drug war has killed more people than afghanistan and iraq combined yet the issue is not addressed. Heres the thing, why not give it a shot. End the war on drugs and lets get out economy on the right track. When people arent lied to, oppressed and intimidated in thier daily life drug use goes down dramatically. So if we do things the right way and educate children about drugs instead of lying to them, they can make smart decisions in the future. But when children are told that drugs are taboo and told not to do them, many do out of spite. I did. Once I realized that pot wasnt this big boogey man i was told about I used other drugs. So we can head down this road where our government wants to line the pockets of their big pharma buddies and arm the drug cartels in Mexico so they can incarcerate innocent people, go ahead and vote for romney or obama and we can continue to watch people die and suffer under the drug war. Or you can vote for gary johnson and we can put an end to all this nonsense.
That's not the most crazy view of drugs I've seen. It's also from years ago, and he didn't go shooting anyone back then. All the bad poo poo you guys are talking about that happened to this guy happened a long time ago. He seemed to have his life more or less in order and a job he liked in Las Vegas dressing up as Marvel super heroes. His only recent anger at anything besides general gun rights stuff, was a result of the Clive Bundy thing.

Strange self-contradictory thoughts on benefits:

quote:

Jerad Miller
January 24, 2013
Well, people, I have been saying it for a little while. Others have been trying to warn us this day would come for a long time, maybe now people will listen a little bit more. Yesterday, while standing in line to receive food stamps, a brawl broke out over a spot in line. So many have become dependent on the nanny state, we are looking at a total breakdown of society because of the dependance on welfare in this country. Soon, and I do mean very soon, the government is going to cut budgets and begin austerity programs. Millions will be let off food stamps, HUD, social security, and disability. We have seen brawls over a spot in line at the welfare office, whats going to happen when the fed gov starts taking them away all together? Maybe thats why they are trying to disarm us, they are scared we may turn against them, instead of each other. That we all would realize, the government created these problems, and that we the people have to get rid of them to move forward. Happy hunting, God bless.
Almost literally, "Keep government out of my foodstamps!"

One things I keep hearing was that this guy was a racist. I wouldn't be surprised, but there's no evidence of it on his facebook at least. This at least seems strangely sympathetic to immigrants relative to your usual right winger:

quote:

Jerad Miller
June 2
Hello illegal aliens, you poor refugees. Sorry you were lied to about the state of our nation. Ours is no better than Mexico, I am sorry you were fooled into thinking we were a free country. If, however you seek justice, you may rise up with the patriots of this nation. You may make the ultimate sacrifice with us, and I will call you my brother in Liberty. All shall be free, first however, you have to recognize the chains that bind you. You have to accept the fact, the horrible truth, that you are indeed a slave. Then you can break those chains, then you can be free.

On the less political and just sad human interest side of things, his wife seemed to be a lot less politically crazy. She just liked Harley Quinn and cats a lot. Also guns. But anyway, one can infer that her parents didn't approve of his influence on her:

quote:

Jerad Miller
November 14, 2013
My wife, Amanda Miller is the best person I know. I'm lucky to have her love. I know there are those that believe I don't deserve her love. Perhaps there are reasons for their opinions. However, they do not know me like she does. She knows my darkest secrets, my desires and my ambitions. If they cannot trust her judgement, then shame on them for thinking her stupid. My name has been in their mouths for some time and like high school drama queens seek to cause discord among us. We are strong and grow in our love everyday and unfortunately are driving their daughter away from them. I wish they could see me as she does. I wish they could open their eyes and wake up to reality. Until they do, they can never understand. They will blame me for her decisions. I find this very sad, how they must hate me so. They only hurt themselves however, and perhaps they deserve it for their ignorance and assumptions. I hope they realize she loves them and I hope that they can accept her for the strength she has acquired. I love you with all my heart my beautiful wife and I'm sorry I cannot live up to their expectations while they have blinders on. Some day they will know the truth and see me for who I really am. I'm happy to know my wife is strong and can make her own decisions, and that she chooses to stand by my side, as will I hers, always.
That made me feel pretty bad for her parents...

In any case, while these people may not neatly fall neatly into a right-wing stereotype, and the guy has a bunch of crazy political beliefs (and it sounds like the Bundy people may have rejected them for their differences), it seems like he was mostly just generically anti-government leading up to their shooting, with a special emphasis on the Clive Bundy thing, and how it was going to be the start of a revolution. No way to know for sure what was going through their heads when they did it, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't mostly the revolutionary rhetoric around the Bundy Ranch incident that made them think this was a good idea.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
How loving crazy do you have to be to get kicked out of the Bundy militia?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Omi-Polari posted:

So here's some anecdotes:

Other Bundy says the opposite:

quote:

The rancher's wife, Carol Bundy, told FoxNews.com that no one was kicked out because of their beliefs.

"Our communication at the time was that everyone was welcome, and no one was asked to leave," Carol Bundy told FoxNews.com earlier Monday. "There was no one here who advocated anything like [white supremacy or killing police]."

Saying they were kicked out looks like rear end covering to me

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Eiba posted:

In any case, while these people may not neatly fall neatly into a right-wing stereotype, and the guy has a bunch of crazy political beliefs (and it sounds like the Bundy people may have rejected them for their differences), it seems like he was mostly just generically anti-government leading up to their shooting, with a special emphasis on the Clive Bundy thing, and how it was going to be the start of a revolution. No way to know for sure what was going through their heads when they did it, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't mostly the revolutionary rhetoric around the Bundy Ranch incident that made them think this was a good idea.
Yeah I have to agree. But I'd also speculate that being kicked off the ranch made him worse. He joins a cause, which turns out to be a disappointment (i.e. not as radical as it seemed to be / lots of standing around doing nothing), and is then given the boot. So he radicalizes further and becomes "more Bundy than Bundy" as it were.

His wife seems like she was along for the ride.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
If the Bundys think nobody advocated for white supremacy at the Bundy ranch, I am kind of curious what they think white supremacy is.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sleepingbuddha posted:

How loving crazy do you have to be to get kicked out of the Bundy militia?
Well, it's like the militia talks a big game but doesn't do anything. You just stand around for days and days playing war.

Good Citizen posted:

Saying they were kicked out looks like rear end covering to me
It could very well be, yeah. But if he was, it'd fit a pattern seen among other "lone wolf" terrorists (though his wife/girlfriend came along too in this case).

:speculate:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They didn't kick out the people who were bragging about the "line up the women and children so the feds shoot them first" idea so I really doubt they kicked out these people. Of course they very well might have, in a situation where everyone else there knows they're just playing revolutionary, but then the shooter shows up and they're like, holy poo poo, this guy means it. So they kick him out and go back to parading around with guns while ranting about how armed conflict with the government is going to be necessary any day now.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Bundy is on video tape claiming that blacks are better off as chattel slaves then being on foodstamps. How the gently caress is that not white supremacy.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So it turned out Megyn Kelly beat O'Reilly demo-wise for the first time ever last week

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/fox-news-megyn-kelly-tops-bill-oreilly-in-demo-for-first-time-1201216776/

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sharkie posted:

They didn't kick out the people who were bragging about the "line up the women and children so the feds shoot them first" idea so I really doubt they kicked out these people. Of course they very well might have, in a situation where everyone else there knows they're just playing revolutionary, but then the shooter shows up and they're like, holy poo poo, this guy means it. So they kick him out and go back to parading around with guns while ranting about how armed conflict with the government is going to be necessary any day now.
Yeah. And one of the reasons given was the guy had a felony record.

But the other thing is that the militias say crazy poo poo, but at the end of the day they're almost all defensive in orientation. They locked and loaded when the BLM came to seize the cattle, for instance. They're not actively going out in an organized group and killing police officers. If this guy came in there and started to agitate for that kind of strategy -- maybe he did maybe not -- then that might have crossed a red line.

It's the difference between "we'll shoot them if they try to take the cattle" and "why wait?"

I think the Bundy Ranch also had a split awhile back between two groups of militiamen, one less radical (and larger -- the Oathkeepers I think) and one more radical (and smaller), and the more radical ones left the camp. They even pointed guns on each other.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 9, 2014

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Axetrain posted:

Bundy is on video tape claiming that blacks are better off as chattel slaves then being on foodstamps. How the gently caress is that not white supremacy.

He didn't say "I am a racist" therefore it's not racism, you're racist for thinking black people need a handout from the government, etc., etc.

Vertical Lime posted:

So it turned out Megyn Kelly beat O'Reilly demo-wise for the first time ever last week

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/fox-news-megyn-kelly-tops-bill-oreilly-in-demo-for-first-time-1201216776/

quote:

“The Kelly File” averaged 413,000 adults 25-54

Is there not a finer grain demographics report? What's the reasoning behind grouping a fresh college grad in with his dad who's really interested in cholesterol medication?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah. And one of the reasons given was the guy had a felony record.

But the other thing is that the militias say crazy poo poo, but at the end of the day they're almost all defensive in orientation. They locked and loaded when the BLM came to seize the cattle, for instance. They're not actively going out in an organized group and killing police officers. If this guy came in there and started to agitate for that kind of strategy -- maybe he did maybe not -- then that might have crossed a red line.

It's the difference between "we'll shoot them if they try to take the cattle" and "why wait?"

Speculating, but it seems more likely that he got tired of the militia's lack of aggression and wandered off rather than the militia getting tired of him to the point where they ran him off.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

Is there not a finer grain demographics report? What's the reasoning behind grouping a fresh college grad in with his dad who's really interested in cholesterol medication?
Usually you have to pay for the detailed breakdowns.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Sharkie posted:

25-54, (or 18-49, however the gently caress you break it up) is used as the mark for disposable cash; TVIV can give you a better insight, but that's the gist. Like most things TV related it's an outdated metric, but there's massive feet dragging because the current method has been very profitable for a very long time, and change is hard.

For Fox it's actually total viewers that matters more (usually total viewers matter very little to not at all, demo is "king"), since old people are their intended audience, hence all the old person ads. Fox's average viewer is 68, and for Bill O’Reilly's show it's 72.

Also Toonami at 2 AM 3 AM 5 AM the entire time it's on beats all of the cable channels in that same demo with an average age of 22, which is funny to me.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 10, 2014

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

O'Reilly's gonna have to step up his game and start showing off those gams of his.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

fade5 posted:

25-54, (or 18-49, however the gently caress you break it up) is used as the mark for disposable cash; TVIV can give you a better insight, but that's the gist. Like most things TV related it's an outdated metric, but there's massive feet dragging because the current method has been very profitable for a very long time, and change is hard.

For Fox it's actually total viewers that matters more (usually total viewers matter very little to not at all, demo is "king"), since old people are their intended audience, hence all the old person ads. Fox's average viewer is 68, and for Bill O’Reilly's show it's 72.

Also Toonami at 2 AM 3 AM 5 AM the entire time it's on beats all of the cable channels in that same demo with an average age of 22, which is funny to me.
Well thanks to you I just learned that the average Bill O'Reilly viewer is older than Bill O'Reilly.

I don't know why this is funny to me, but it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Axetrain posted:

Because after his "let me tell you about The Negros" bit, he went on to praise Hispanics for being hard working and family oriented. If you listened to that whole speech he did, their were some definite groans from the Stormfront regulars in the crowd when he got to that part.

He's a Hispanic Supremacist.

And in a perverse way this is a thing on the right, and it comes up every time they scratch there heads over why they can't seem to get their votes. Also, with white being the "default" in the US, they criticize them all the time without outright saying "let me tell you about The Whites". All this talk about how "Americans won't do these jobs", or kids and their liberal arts degrees, or lazy hipsters, or a hundred other tropes that they may not consciously be aware of that are putting down modern White American culture.

While the right loves to play up the drug mules and anchor babies coming across the southern border, there is also a huge amount of what are basically Mexican rednecks. They love their cowboy hats and boots, pickup trucks, and their version of country music. It is an open secret in conservative rural America that these guys are great. And while listening to Rush and the like complain bitterly about them crossing the border, rural Americans employ huge numbers of them.

The right can be very bold, upfront, and arrogant about so many issues. But this one makes them squirm so much, and all the contradictions involved keeps them from ever really realizing why it makes them squirm.