Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is the best way to get Research and unlock planes? Is there a better game mode for it? I see that some planes give you extra research points. Is this just for parts or for the researching of other planes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The internet Nazis are really up in arms over at the official forums. They seem to think Gaijin is running some massive Russian propaganda job on German tanks. For all these losers claim to know about history, they should realize that German tanks never did well in close quarters and only dominated at long range. What a loving surprise, all of the maps but one are close quarters.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Dramicus posted:

The internet Nazis are really up in arms over at the official forums. They seem to think Gaijin is running some massive Russian propaganda job on German tanks. For all these losers claim to know about history, they should realize that German tanks never did well in close quarters and only dominated at long range. What a loving surprise, all of the maps but one are close quarters.

It's fun to remind them that history had a Russian bias :allears:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

YellerBill posted:

gently caress it, I'm just not going to play era 4 matches. I always end up fighting spitfires, which magically outturn my Zeroes at any speed, catch my Bearcats/P-51s in any dive, climb faster than any of my Germans, always manage to take out *my* spitfires without me having a chance to fight back... I'll just stick to low tier seal clubbing until they stop being the #1 best plane above Era 3 (read: never)

A spitfire shouldn't outturn your Zero. The Zero (and Spit IX) has combat flaps, use them. A P51 should be untouchable for a Spit. Just keep your E-state high. Usually a Spit IX will be higher (at the start of the match). Orient yourself 90° to them, once they turn towards you. Then they'll try to catch up, slightly dive away, the rate of closure will drop. As the Spit IX comes to your course, just start making small and soft adjustments to your course. Try to fly towards friendlies. The Spit IX will bleed a lot of energy due to these adjustments.

YellerBill posted:

The problem isn't even grifspits, that's what gets me. It's that loving Spit Mk IX that 3/5 nations in the game get, and I'm always fighting one of those three nations. I have not had a single match in recent memory where I fought against Japan or Germany. Instead I was either fighting Lend-Lease Spit IXs and P-63s, British Spit IXs and Typhoons, or American Spit IXs and P-51s.

The combination of Spit IXs with very good BnZ planes (P51, P-63 and Typhoons) is bad news. But the same could be said about Zeros + Ki-84s and N1ks.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The Zero (and Spit IX) has combat flaps, use them.

I'll edit this if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Spit IX only has landing flaps.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I shot off a KV-1's track as he crossed a bridge in the opening moments of a round on Jungle, causing him to spin out and wedge sideways on that little bridge over the water. just outside the Russian's western spawn.

There were at least 4 players bottle-necked behind him, and it turned int a shooting gallery for my F2 :getin:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This is from ~5 pages ago.

Azran posted:

Anyone knows if the WoL creator is still playing?

Wales Grey posted:

I don't think Dongington or ShanRevan play much anymore.

chairface posted:

To the best of my knowledge, I'm the remaining active leadership. God save us all.
I, too, do not think Donginton or Shan play much anymore (they are both Australian (I think?) so if they do play I have not seen them).

I also have the ability to accept people to the squadron but its not like WoL's original purpose (a WT squadron of MWO players) is even A Thing anymore.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Are 250 pound bombs enough to kill pillboxes?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Mickey McKey posted:

I also have the ability to accept people to the squadron but its not like WoL's original purpose (a WT squadron of MWO players) is even A Thing anymore.

rip rev's :10bux: spent renaming the squadron

also all the other dollars he spent on Charles Ponzi's Star Citizen

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Sorry, bomber gunners are just the stupid bullshit every fighter has to put up with.

Ya, but it's the A20 SPECIFICALLY that seems to have the ability to just snipe anyone with the first few shots. Other bombers I can deal with, but the moment I get in the rear firing arc of an A20, it's a bullet through my pilot's head.

Speaking of being sniped, I literally just got sniped by a stray bullet. Like, less than 30 seconds after entering the match, I get killed in a single shot and no enemy planes were anywhere near me. Gee loving gee.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wales Grey posted:

rip rev's :10bux: spent renaming the squadron

also all the other dollars he spent on Charles Ponzi's Star Citizen

I have a feeling Rev don't give a poo poo.

And I am not touching a star citizen comment.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

El Disco posted:

I'll edit this if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Spit IX only has landing flaps.

All Spit's only have landing flaps.

In Zero vs a Spit if they're out turning you you're going too fast.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Frijolero posted:

What is the best way to get Research and unlock planes?

Whatever mode you have the most fun in, plus a premium account.

For example, the fastest way to unlock the whole of russia up to the end of tier two is arcade sealclubbing in a premium chaika, but this quickly gets boring as hell, and 10000-30000 RP per match isn't really "fast" if you can only bring yourself to play once an hour.

If you stop paying attention to numbers going up and just focus on having fun, you'll find things unlock much quicker.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frijolero posted:

What is the best way to get Research and unlock planes? Is there a better game mode for it? I see that some planes give you extra research points. Is this just for parts or for the researching of other planes?

It really depends. In general, if you have a premium plane and it's not just some scrubby tier 1 plane, flying premiums is a really good way to earn RP unless you just don't gel with that premium plane at all. The debate over whether AB or RB is the best way to earn RP is really one of personal skill/enjoyment. On the one hand, in a great RB game I can pull in over 30,000 RP in one 20 minute match. On the other hand, sometimes you chase a bunch of jerks all over the map, then they all bail out and you get poo poo, which is just a thing that does not happen in AB. I'd say the number 1 rule is to avoid grinding RP for RP sake if it makes you fail to enjoy the game. For example, I know that if I just flew the Dora for a night or two straight, I'd have that fancy German Saber. But holy poo poo, I hate that Dora and can only bring myself to fly it for a match or two in a 24 hour period.

If playing RB, and your team has total control of the enemy team, you can switch to ground-pound mode while the last enemy AI/player tools about aimlessly to get more RP. I wouldn't really recommend just suicide crabbing like some people suggest. It's questionable in how profitable it is, it's less likely to earn you a victory, which is worth serious RP, and it leads to unlocking things that you don't have the skills to fly.

I could be wrong, but it seems like planes earn less RP for killing planes/tanks in CA than they do in regular air matches.

Geisladisk posted:

Are 250 pound bombs enough to kill pillboxes?

Yes. If you're careful.*

*I'm pretty sure. I could swear I've done it with 60 and 100 kg on a regular basis. Hrm... maybe some UK nerd will check for me.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 10, 2014

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Subyng posted:

Ya, but it's the A20 SPECIFICALLY that seems to have the ability to just snipe anyone with the first few shots. Other bombers I can deal with, but the moment I get in the rear firing arc of an A20, it's a bullet through my pilot's head.

Speaking of being sniped, I literally just got sniped by a stray bullet. Like, less than 30 seconds after entering the match, I get killed in a single shot and no enemy planes were anywhere near me. Gee loving gee.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the A20's main tail gun is a dual .50 cal, while a lot of planes have .30 cal or the equivalent for tail gun protection.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the A20's main tail gun is a dual .50 cal, while a lot of planes have .30 cal or the equivalent for tail gun protection.

They have twin fifties up top with a great firing arc and a single .50 sticking out the belly/tail that can shoot drat near straight back. IIRC, it's possible to fly where all 3 fifties can hit you. And when an A-20 is going fast, there's none of that crazy deflection poo poo going on. everyone ends up either in a headon or basically chasing you down, so you can aim at them very accurately.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

mlmp08 posted:

Yes. If you're careful.

Ahem, I think you'll find only 500 lb's and up can kill pillboxes. One at a time that is. Multiple 250's can.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 10, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
My friend is mistaken. Maybe only 500 and up can one-shot a pillbox. But double-tap that poo poo and it dies.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Heliosicle posted:

Ahem, I think you'll find only 500 lb's and up can kill pillboxes. One at a time that is. Multiple 250's can.

Are you sure smaller bombs don't just need multiple hits? At least light pillboxes are easy enough to kill.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Remmon posted:

Are you sure smaller bombs don't just need multiple hits? At least light pillboxes are easy enough to kill.

That edit speed that my friend above has:

this gif is weak, but seriously, the very first result had My Friend in it and I used that by chance in the post above, so how'm I not gonna post that?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Remmon posted:

Below 250lb/100kg you do no damage.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Renaissance Robot posted:

If you stop paying attention to numbers going up and just focus on having fun, you'll find things unlock much quicker.

This is really true. I don't play Britain that much compared to US/Japan, yet somehow it's the nation I'm furthest in (two planes until Era V)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

YellerBill posted:

This is really true. I don't play Britain that much compared to US/Japan, yet somehow it's the nation I'm furthest in (two planes until Era V)

You're in luck, because Britain has some really cool early jets.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Dramicus posted:

Their forums are so full of Wheraboos it's amazing.

Highlight is someone claiming that the Germans were the only side with trustworthy kill numbers because everyone else overly inflated their numbers.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

I think the design and flow of them is fine but it's still poo poo like "OK we'll design this overhang to counter the german side, but slop it and forget that since Russian tanks can't depress their guns, they can't even shoot back and it is a deathtrap"
The AB maps aren't designed with a faction in mind so that's probably part of it. However, it'd be neat to have random sides for AB maps even in RB/SB, if only to mix things up for minimal effort.

Gwaihir posted:

I've actually come to like Karelia more and more as time goes on. The only absolute poo poo thing about it is the lunatic level AA. (Note: only playing in SB). Kuban is by far my least favorite these days because it's just all god damned hills and trees and poo poo and plays so slowly.
I wouldn't say I like it, but I don't hate it as much as I used to (unless I forget to select spawn #2). Even without a serious overhaul though, they need to polish it up (a bunch of jagged ground, flat paths that seem natural to follow that lead to an impassible pile of boulders, etc.). An overhaul of the east half would probably be for the best though because sniping into the opposition spawn is bad design.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Ok, I swear the frontal armor of the SU-100 and SU-122p is bugged as gently caress.

I have shot them dozens of times with the long 88 and got nothing but "hits" I think 200mm of pen should make quick work of their loving 75mm front, especially the drivers hatch.

Edit: Just happened again, two solid hits, one to the upper plate near the driver, the other to the lower plate under the gun and nothing but "hits" and no damage. Something is definitely wrong.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 10, 2014

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Dramicus posted:

Ok, I swear the frontal armor of the SU-100 and SU-122p is bugged as gently caress.

I have shot them dozens of times with the long 88 and got nothing but "hits" I think 200mm of pen should make quick work of their loving 75mm front, especially the drivers hatch.

Edit: Just happened again, two solid hits, one to the upper plate near the driver, the other to the lower plate under the gun and nothing but "hits" and no damage. Something is definitely wrong.

Post a replay so we can call you a pubby

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

I just got into a match full of PZ2s and 38Ts while I'm driving an SU-122.

:psypop:

Not that I don't mind a bit of seal clubbing but I can't imagine how the MM would gently caress up that badly.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I take back everything bad I said about tier 4 games, Tempest Vs and Griffon Spits are so much fun

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BlueDestiny posted:

I just got into a match full of PZ2s and 38Ts while I'm driving an SU-122.

:psypop:

Not that I don't mind a bit of seal clubbing but I can't imagine how the MM would gently caress up that badly.
My last dozen matches have been me in a 34-85 and a bunch of KVs against Panthers and Tiger IIs.

The MM, especially in SB, is totally hosed.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

People are dumb and bring in a high BR plane with a low BR tank. Mystery solved.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Heliosicle posted:

Below 250lb/100kg you do no damage.

According to the ammo post from the last thread, the Japanese 'mod' bombs are armor-piercing and can kill regular pillboxes with 50kg.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fart Car '97 posted:

People are dumb and bring in a high BR plane with a low BR tank. Mystery solved.

I faced Tiger I's and Panther D's in a T-34 Mod 1942.

The other vehicles slotted:

GAZ AA
T-50
Zhukovsky's I-153 premium biplane.

So what exactly put me into that battle? The MM is hosed up right now.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

I faced Tiger I's and Panther D's in a T-34 Mod 1942.

The other vehicles slotted:

GAZ AA
T-50
Zhukovsky's I-153 premium biplane.

So what exactly put me into that battle? The MM is hosed up right now.

Tiger's battle rating is 4.7 in RB, the matchmaking range is +- 1.3, your 3.3 T-34 can meet it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fart Car '97 posted:

A couple days ago I slaughtered a Tiger immediately in my T-34. Then I got plinked at by his Bf-109 E1 until AAA shot him down after several passes. It was cute.

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

Taerkar posted:

Their forums are so full of Wheraboos it's amazing.

Highlight is someone claiming that the Germans were the only side with trustworthy kill numbers because everyone else overly inflated their numbers.

The guys who reported that they killed the entire RAF two and a half times over during the Battle of Britain.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hell, the German high command basically immediately cut any of their kill reports down by half and still considered that to be too high.

Dramicus posted:

Tiger's battle rating is 4.7 in RB, the matchmaking range is +- 1.3, your 3.3 T-34 can meet it.

SB actually, not RB. And the Panther D is 5.0, so it's outside of that range.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 10, 2014

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Dramicus posted:

Nothing says fun like your BR 3.3 tanks getting reamed by P IV/70 from the other side of map!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Mickey McKey posted:

This is from ~5 pages ago.

Until squadrons matter I'm not really motivated to do much about it. I'm open to appointing new leadership, making a new group or just folding everyone into other goon groups. Whatever people wanna do. Except that last I checked no one can leave squadrons or be kicked out of them. That might've changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mr Chips posted:

Nothing says fun like your BR 3.3 tanks getting reamed by P IV/70 from the other side of map!

Actually it was on Karelia and I was able to set them on fire with lots of rear end and side shots as they charged on blindly, trusting in SUPERIOR GERMAN ARMOR.

• Locked thread