Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Heads up: Tomorrow on Twitch at 11:30 AM PST there's going to be a stream of "Major new features".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Random fact: Ash AKA Swan 2, the one who talks and uses the gun is the brother, and Alex/Chainsaw/Swan 1 is the sister.

Wouldn't it make more sense for the one with the chainsaw to be named Ash? Because of Evil Dead and all.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The Twitch stream of Hotline Miami 2 is up in about 45 minutes! As always, please make sure you have time!

http://blog.twitch.tv/2014/06/twitch-broadcast-schedule-for-e3/

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Footage delayed: https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/476070969841156098

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Klyith posted:

I agree, but even with the things you could learn to handle enemies without being shot, a large portion of the game's difficulty is about quick reflexes. Stuff like the melee weapon reach and swing rate make timing really important in any area where you can't go to town with a gun.

Maybe you're not a bit old like me or you play a lot of that type of twitch retro game so you have those reflexes. But for me the game became too difficult after the first couple levels. Each subsequent level took more and more time, because I could only make any progress playing it like some kind of terrible stealth game. Waiting around for every guard to be in the optimal position sucks and makes each death even more frustrating.
The secret to hotline miami is to run forward and never stop. It's okay to die a million times. Most levels are extremely short. Just identify what worked, keep doing that, and then when you die change your timings slightly until you don't. Dying being of little consequence is all part of the game's charm. It's not so much about reflexes as it is about patterns and some kind of pseudo-planning through repetition.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I presume there will be a video available for those of us who have to miss the stream? I'm not familiar with how twitch handles that exactly.

VV: Alright. Hoping Devolver releases something on YouTube or similar soon, I can't wait for news. Thanks.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 9, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Serperoth posted:

I presume there will be a video available for those of us who have to miss the stream? I'm not familiar with how twitch handles that exactly.

Twitch should make a recording public after it ends. Unless the devs do something to delete it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Hotline Miami @HotlineMiami · 2m
Introducing the Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number level editor. Video proof: http://youtu.be/Qb0BI6huwzY

Man, why can't we have a release date at least. Hype's through the roof. :negative:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 9, 2014

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Khorne posted:

The secret to hotline miami is to run forward and never stop. It's okay to die a million times. Most levels are extremely short. Just identify what worked, keep doing that, and then when you die change your timings slightly until you don't. Dying being of little consequence is all part of the game's charm. It's not so much about reflexes as it is about patterns and some kind of pseudo-planning through repetition.

What works or doesn't is pretty much completely random, though. Enemy movements are random, weapon effect is random, if you even hit the enemy is often pretty random, etc. It's less of a glorified slot machine than FTL but you can't really pick out what worked and keep trying because it's just getting kicked in the teeth over and over until the game goes "Okay, now you can make progress."

Edit: Also, I know why it's the case but am I the only one a little disappointed the fight with the dual wielding mob boss is so scripted? For example it's possible to sneak an Uzi into the arena as Richter but it doesn't do anything - it would've been cool if they'd actually programmed tricks like that to work.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Honestly, I can beat the game without dying pretty reliably at this point. There's luck involved but if you feel it's that luck based, are you sure it's not a problem on your end? :v:

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Flesnolk posted:

What works or doesn't is pretty much completely random, though. Enemy movements are random, weapon effect is random, if you even hit the enemy is often pretty random, etc. It's less of a glorified slot machine than FTL but you can't really pick out what worked and keep trying because it's just getting kicked in the teeth over and over until the game goes "Okay, now you can make progress."

Enemy movements aren't random. Most guys have a predictable pattern, and the one or two dudes per level who have no set path are just as likely to move somewhere that's beneficial to you as somewhere that screws you over.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yeah, generally unless your system is very bad at running the game and/or you're incapable of not fat-fingering your movements it's very easy to come up with plans about how to play out bursting in on dudes. Slamming doors into guys always makes them knocked out for a few seconds, enemies always pause long enough to be sliced to ribbons if you rush from short range around corners... I can't say I'm good enough to avoid dying a lot, but generally it's always clear my death was because I was a little too off with my swing, or a little too slow, or my position's just plain bad for what I want to do and needs adjustment. Seeing randomness everywhere is bizarre and shouldn't be happening if you hang back and examine the layout you're working with to get a plan of how precisely you're going to slay everyone before doing so.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Flesnolk posted:

Protip: use the mouse to aim.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

grate deceiver posted:

Protip: use the mouse to aim.

The game's almost as violent as this kicking circle. drat.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yeah, you need mouse aim, even if you only melee.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Edit: Also, I know why it's the case but am I the only one a little disappointed the fight with the dual wielding mob boss is so scripted? For example it's possible to sneak an Uzi into the arena as Richter but it doesn't do anything - it would've been cool if they'd actually programmed tricks like that to work.

I actually forgot all about Richter's gun. What I did do was weasel around with the first area's guard positioning until I could dispatch both of the armored guys with one shotgun shell, so I could take the last shot into the boss area with me. Predictably the shotgun blast didn't work either, but it was fun to try.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alLAuqtIRh8

A more in-depth level editor preview featuring Dennis Wedin.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Anatharon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alLAuqtIRh8

A more in-depth level editor preview featuring Dennis Wedin.

Yessssss, this is all I wanted by the end of the first game. I can't wait to see some of the stuff people pull off with an actual editor.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
A fan video but definitely related...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE3M4CLhZAM
I liked it

Malek fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 15, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

So why aren't we playing this yet? I thought they were aiming to be out for PAX or E3 or whatever.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

moths posted:

So why aren't we playing this yet? I thought they were aiming to be out for PAX or E3 or whatever.

The level creator was also supposed to be a free patch for the original Hotline Miami rather than something used to push its sequel, but :homebrew:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Yardbomb posted:

Yessssss, this is all I wanted by the end of the first game. I can't wait to see some of the stuff people pull off with an actual editor.

I can't wait to see all of the recreations of Columbine and Sandy Hook

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The level creator was also supposed to be a free patch for the original Hotline Miami rather than something used to push its sequel, but :homebrew:

I've never heard that, can you provide a source?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Geight posted:

I've never heard that, can you provide a source?

He can't because that was never the case.

The mapmaker was basically a late feature and it's probably why it's going to be so late.

As is, they now doubt it'll be out before PAX Prime.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Even if this were true, it is being included free with the sequel. You'd only have a valid point if they charged you for it as paid DLC for the sequel, but they're not.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

I just finished the first and utterly adored it.
But realistically when are we going to see wrong number?
Im aware its slated for the 3rd quarter of this year but i cant seem to find any solid dates.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sentinel posted:

I just finished the first and utterly adored it.
But realistically when are we going to see wrong number?
Im aware its slated for the 3rd quarter of this year but i cant seem to find any solid dates.

Honestly there's no telling anymore. It's been bumped back like 8 times now.

I asked Cactus awhile back and he hesitantly said that the "before PAX" release date is unlikely to be met.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I'm happy to see that the Steam achievements are working, because they didn't activate at all when I first got this game last year. Maybe someday I'll get A+ on all levels.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I just finally got the joke in the title. Well played.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Cheekio posted:

Oh wow, yeah, that's a good one. subtle.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm still disappointed that its not the actual title to the game.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Cheekio posted:

I think the "everything comes to an end.." really detracts from it though. Makes it sound too serious.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I think the "everything comes to an end.." really detracts from it though. Makes it sound too serious.

When I asked Dennis Wedin at E3 what he thought the theme of Hotline Miami 2 was, that's what he told me. :shrug:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Anatharon posted:

When I asked Dennis Wedin at E3 what he thought the theme of Hotline Miami 2 was, that's what he told me. :shrug:

And he only said it with two periods, not a full ellipse? That seems pretty unlikely.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 31, 2014

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
i don't get it

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

And he only said it with two periods, not a full ellipse? That seems pretty unlikely.

Since when has Hotline Miami played by 'the man's' rules? :rolleye:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LLCoolJD posted:

Maybe someday I'll get A+ on all levels.

Replying to myself here, but I actually managed to do this.

Anatharon posted:

The development cycle for the sequel seems quite long. I'd like to ask him (not that he'd answer) what the time and budget differences are between the two. If they have taken advantage of their greater resources to add in a ton of secrets and animations, then all will be forgiven.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

cosmin posted:

i don't get it

It's actually about hotline miami 2. 3 is actually the wrong number.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I honestly didn't think I'd like this, but drat being a psychopath is good fun.

I do have one question; what does the multi-coloured little 'p' mean that sometimes shows up next to the crosshair? I'm wearing the owl mask of that makes a difference. Apologies if that's been asked thousands of times already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I honestly didn't think I'd like this, but drat being a psychopath is good fun.

I do have one question; what does the multi-coloured little 'p' mean that sometimes shows up next to the crosshair? I'm wearing the owl mask of that makes a difference. Apologies if that's been asked thousands of times already

I think it's means "pick-up", to show you that whatever you're standing over or next to can be picked up. Which is useful if you're looking for the hidden masks because they kinda blend in with the scenery.

• Locked thread