Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Blistex posted:

First year of University I rented a basement apartment with water pressure that was abysmal at best. It was like someone was slowly pouring out a mug of hot water, but wanted to make it last a full 1/2 minute. The water pressure was so bad that water only came out of the bottom 1/3rd of the shower head. It took 15 seconds to get your hair wet enough to put shampoo in, and once you wanted to rinse it out, you knew what you were going to be doing for the next 5 minutes (not an exaggeration).

Finally I told the landlord that I was withholding $50 a month until the water pressure was fixed. Took him two months, but it was finally resolved. It was almost a religious experience feeling the water pressure that first time. . . then two minutes later the water went ice cold. My next shower was the same. I told the landlord that his water heater was broken (probably had one of the elements burned out). Took him another two months to fix it as well. Crazy thing was he lived upstairs, so he had to deal with the exact same problems and seemed to be more than happy to make do.

Or he just didn't bathe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't really understand the hate for low-pressure shower heads.

A proper shower scours you clean with the sheer force of the water :colbert:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Crazy thing was he lived upstairs, so he had to deal with the exact same problems and seemed to be more than happy to make do.

People are willing to put up with an astonishing amount of crap if it means they can avoid doing things they think are stressful. This is the essence of procrastination.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People are willing to put up with an astonishing amount of crap if it means they can avoid doing things they think are stressful. This is the essence of procrastination.

I'm always astonished by this. I can understand the lovely lazy heartless landlord but when people are too lazy to fix poo poo in their own homes that directly effect them? Not because they don't have the money or time but jsut out of sheer procrastination. I had a friend who's parents water tank leaked so they had to get rid of it. They had someone in to get rid of it but didn't bother getting a new one because they had "a friend" that had a spare tank and would "come over and help". Months and months went by when this house had no hot water. I noticed they started smelling worse. This was in the summer, but finally when things started to cool off they finally got a new tank installed but only after their kids started to pressure them every day. I think if it wasn't for their kids they would have just bathed less and less, perpetually putting it off until their friend with the spare tank showed up. And no they never went after that friend or told them beyond the moment their tank leaked because "he's giving us a free tank and installing it so we don't want to pressure him".

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

MrYenko posted:

Low flow toilets have come a long way, and they aren't absolutely default terrible anymore. That said, toilets have a primary function: flush my giant, log-like turds away and out of my life quickly, and without splashing poo poo-water out of the bowl. If I have to flush twice, the toilet has failed. If so much as a single drop of water reaches escape velocity at any point during the flush cycle, the toilet has failed. If some inane, arbitrary per-flush water restriction causes the toilet to clog, rather than dispose of my leavings, then that toilet has failed.

I don't have time in my life for something as simple as a godamned toilet to fail. It's something that we've already perfected, as a species, and I won't tolerate some rear end in a top hat telling me that I need an inferior toilet so he can get people to like him.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 9, 2014

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Zhentar posted:

A proper shower scours you clean with the sheer force of the water :colbert:

I have been saving this showerhead for when money is no object and I have a 100-gallon water heater.

Weighing in at a gooseneck-bending 3.5-pounds: The solid brass Speakman shower head. From the days before water saving!

I set it up once; it emptied my 40-gal heater in about fifteen glorious minutes.

when America made Great Things. :911:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I like two things about my apartment building: no central air so I can't smell my lovely neighbors and the boiler. The building is 70 years old so the water's got almost enough iron to make it magnetic, but it's hot and I get as much as I want.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

I have been saving this showerhead for when money is no object and I have a 100-gallon water heater.

Weighing in at a gooseneck-bending 3.5-pounds: The solid brass Speakman shower head. From the days before water saving!

I set it up once; it emptied my 40-gal heater in about fifteen glorious minutes.

Pre barcode era. Glorious.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SocketSeven posted:

I swear to God I was living on a military facility that used these once. It was wonderful, I'd swear you could strip paint with the "needle" setting. I've been in $400/night hotels whose showers sucked in comparison.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

SocketSeven posted:

The best shower I ever had was, ironically enough, in Yellowstone. Man, that high pressure needle showerhead was awesome after a day of hiking.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

PainterofCrap posted:

Just add more cheap tanks in series with the first one, until it lasts long enough. Or just slap a tankless on-demand heater in behind it. :smugbert:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Splizwarf posted:

Or just slap a tankless on-demand heater in behind it. :smugbert:

With a drainline heat exchanger to preheat the water heading into the tankless water heater.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

kastein posted:

Yup.

Heavy duty demolition means I'm getting out the fuckin' chainsaw. In fact I have a specific chain I use that's mostly knackered already specifically because it'll still go through half rotten wood just fine... and I don't care how many rusty flat nails I run it into on the way through.

We just bought one of these chains for our MS660 at work (although ours is specifically because we use that saw to cut down burning trees on the fire ground and burnt timber is absolutely BRUTAL on chainsaw chains. On Fire timber isnt much better- Your bar isnt meant to be glowing when you pull it out of a log!)

http://www.stihl.com/the-Rapid-Duro-3-carbide-tipped-saw-chain.aspx

They are pricey and you need to send em away to someone with a diamond wheel to sharpen them, but they dont give a poo poo about ANYTHING

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

kastein posted:

Curious, how do you ground PVC? It doesn't conduct electricity. I know WHY you want to ground it (static buildup, because it doesn't conduct) but not how. Some sort of conductive spray? A bleeder wire along it that drains the static charge as it builds up? Both?

To be clear, I am not calling BS on what you said, I agree it is a very good idea, just not sure of the method to use.

E: story relating to this. I used 2 inch pvc conduit and elbows to make an extension for my shopvac when I was vacuuming all the rockwool out of my attic a few years back. The static buildup was immense. You could feel the charge from 6 inches away because all the hair on your arm would stand straight up. It was intense enough that the crackling sounded like a MIG welder and the conduit glowed and flickered in the dark from the sparking. The vacuum filled up and I went to climb down through the access port alongside the conduit with the vacuum still running. A sound like a rifle shot rang out, 4 feet of the conduit flashed bright blue, a spark jumped 4-6 inches to my left arm and I felt like I had been shot.

... I added a drain wire (bare copper wrapped loosely around the conduit from one end to the other) and grounded it, and the shocks I got after that were more like what you're used to in winter.

So basically, a nonconductive tube with airborne nonconductive dust/abrasive/powder rushing through it is BAD NEWS. In fact it amounts to building your own van de graaf generator. The shocks you get hurt like a motherfucker and with wood dust it could easily pose a fire/explosion hazard. You want to ground your vac system and you want to do it well.

I've never used PVC and i've never built or willingly installed flex hose into a shop. Good DC is so so important. I've seen copper along the outside tied into what I'm guessing are just screws sunk into the pipe. I hate "mobile" dust collection aka a bunch of poo poo in the way. I've never seen fires or explosions from DC but I think it's usually idiot knife makers collecting sparks/metal chips with their wood chips

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Not an Anthem posted:

I've never used PVC and i've never built or willingly installed flex hose into a shop.

So what would you recommend to use for setting up dust collection ports? And how would it be grounded? Use metal conduit? That could get expensive fast at 7" diameter...

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

They still do! Speakman still makes shower heads, I have one. In fact, the S-2251 is still available.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I live in the middle of the desert, and feel a moral duty to conserve water. I can still agree that lots of water really fast feels good, man.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A grey water tank to run the toilet is a good way to reuse shower water, if you can rig it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Javid posted:

A grey water tank to run the toilet is a good way to reuse shower water, if you can rig it.

Wouldn't your toilet get all... sudsy... when you flush?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Wouldn't your toilet get all... sudsy... when you flush?

...Scrubbing bubbles?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

MisterOblivious posted:

With a drainline heat exchanger to preheat the water heading into the tankless water heater.

Seems like that thing would clog up in a heartbeat.

Javid posted:

You'd need somewhere to store that water until you need it and a way to pump that water into the toilet tank. I'd guess that it would be more expensive to use recycled water than to use regular water.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

SkunkDuster posted:

Seems like that thing would clog up in a heartbeat.

I think the spiral part is for the fresh water, the big pipe down the middle is the drain. Not as efficient as it could be, but you don't want to have to unclog a tight spiral constantly.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Ahh, right. That make a hell of a lot more sense.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

So what would you recommend to use for setting up dust collection ports? And how would it be grounded? Use metal conduit? That could get expensive fast at 7" diameter...

Even regular tin dryer duct/gas appliance flue would work well now that I think about it, as long as you sealed it well and had the splices all facing downhill so they don't get packed with dust. Not sure you could cast that into cement, however.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

SkunkDuster posted:

You'd need somewhere to store that water until you need it and a way to pump that water into the toilet tank. I'd guess that it would be more expensive to use recycled water than to use regular water.

Expensive, yeah. From a standpoint of minimizing water consumption it's a net gain, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Even regular tin dryer duct/gas appliance flue would work well now that I think about it, as long as you sealed it well and had the splices all facing downhill so they don't get packed with dust. Not sure you could cast that into cement, however.

What would you think of PVC with a (reasonably thick) copper wire running down the inside? Strip off the shielding from the wire at regular intervals, then at the end of the pipe tie it to one of the anchor bolts (and put a label on it so whoever inherits the place from me knows what it's doing).

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'm sure you can find some sort of static dissipating tubing that is suitable for under slab. A quick search revealed this flex hose that would be great for above ground: http://www.cat-vacuum-collectors.com/vacuum-hose-and-tools/spec1100.html

e: Here is some inspiration: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?72140-Under-concrete-floor-dust-collection-system-%28pics%29
The tubing you're looking for is called PVS (Polyvinyl Steel) or PCD (Polyvinyl Coated Ductwork).

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 11, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Strip off the shielding from the wire at regular intervals

I don't know about the rest of it, but, uh, wouldn't it just be easier/better to use unshielded wire? Like, you know, grounding wire, since you're trying to ground and all? :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

I don't know about the rest of it, but, uh, wouldn't it just be easier/better to use unshielded wire? Like, you know, grounding wire, since you're trying to ground and all? :v:

I guess I was just thinking of how to transition from inside the pipe (where you don't want shielding) to outside (where it has to go from the pipe to the anchor bolt). But you could just use conduit there, or tie the unshielded wire to a shielded one, or just use that static-dissipating tubing that CopperHound linked, so :downs:

One good reason for this thread and others like it is the tendency people have to overlook obvious, simple solutions. Thanks guys!

(Current status on the workshop project: I need to get some input from an engineer to show that my planned roof won't fall down, then the plans can go back to the city for hopefully-final inspection)

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I hope your workshop doesn't end up in this thread. Some of the dust collection system dealers look like they will design the system if you buy from them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I hope it doesn't too! I'm doing my best to read up on design and techniques, but this is the first time I've tried to tackle a project even remotely this size, and I'll be doing most of the work on my own*. Part of the reason I'm going through the permitting process is simply to get extra, more experienced eyeballs looking at what I'm doing.

For the DC, I'm starting to wonder if maybe I shouldn't just skip embedding it in concrete after all. It adds significant complexity to the foundation pour, the static-dissipating tubing would probably need to be enclosed in something more rigid, and of course it indelibly marks this structure as being a carpentry workshop. That's not a bad thing, but it does make it a bit harder to repurpose down the road when I sell the house.

An alternative would be to mount some flexible tubing on a boom arm that swings out over the mid-floor tool stations. They're only 4-6 feet from one of the walls, after all. I'd probably still want to run power to the middle of the floor, but having a few power outlets, even 220V ones, in the middle of the floor is not as difficult/special-purpose as having DC ducting.

* Still trying to figure out the best way to raise walls. Wall jacks would be ideal, but they need a stop to be secured to so the base of the jack doesn't slide around, and I'll be working directly on concrete (everything I've read assumes a wooden underfloor that you can nail your stop to). I might be able to run some boards out to the opposite wall and rely on the anchor bolts as a secure basis for making a stop of some kind...

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

What would you think of PVC with a (reasonably thick) copper wire running down the inside? Strip off the shielding from the wire at regular intervals, then at the end of the pipe tie it to one of the anchor bolts (and put a label on it so whoever inherits the place from me knows what it's doing).

I'm still dubious about the effectiveness of this. PVC is a really good insulator, so charge should stay fairly localized on the surface of the pipe. There will be some leakage current, but IDK how effective it would be...

I just skimmed this now, and it doesn't long wrong at first glance, so take a look if you want a more technical discussion:

https://home.comcast.net/~rodec/woodworking/articles/DC_myths.html

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Just dust-collect a bunch of powdered aluminum and high-solvent adhesive to coat the inside of the pipes.

don't do this

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

31 floor apartment building built in eight months, in Chile? At least the roof was strong enough to stop the elevator. Makes you wonder what else is wrong with that building.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

MH Knights posted:

31 floor apartment building built in eight months, in Chile? At least the roof was strong enough to stop the elevator. Makes you wonder what else is wrong with that building.

That moment you go from thinking "huh, this elevator is acting odd" to "this elevator is completely out of control" must be helpless and terrifying.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MH Knights posted:

This is amazing. He's really booking it by the time it hits the roof.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Well, I just hit the motherlode of terrifying construction. Here's a list of only ONE of this guy's property's issues.

- exposed electrical leads
- switches that trip the breaker panel
- pipes to nowhere
- hot electrical switch boxes (found this out the hard way)
- warped floors
- Basement made for midgets
- Walls aren't plumb or square
- mystery water leaks
- lovely insulation and wood panelling
- paint job from hell
- rear end backwards interior layouts
- caulk on loving everything
- appliances from the last century
- recently removed brown recluse nest

Now let me give you an example of why this came to be. Jim (the property owner) is a cheap rear end motherfucker who thinks that putting USED particle board cabinets and a dishwasher from 1990 in his brand new $200,000 house is a good idea, and then he installs granite countertops. What the gently caress. He puts windows at car height next to a parking lot and doesn't put in any bushes or fencing. To top it all off, he is a Mormon missionary on the side and brings back African workers who can't speak English, quit within weeks and install the windows backwards. I will post some pictures later. Oh, and the worst part?

He's my new boss.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Eeep. That certainly makes me feel better about mine...

I finally found one truly wrong thing in my house, though it's trivial compared to everything else in this thread. My septic pump is, according to the panel labels, on one single pole breaker. My septic pump is 230v. So the guy working on it found out the hard way that still leaves one phase hot...

On the bright side, the original installer that would have been responsible for that didn't return my phone calls, so I didn't have to pay him for a service call to learn never to hire him.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

MH Knights posted:

Never hire Oompa Loompa contractors, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Metal is always what is recommended. You can save money by buying used runs off craigslist or offering to gut unused runs but yes it's expensive like everything else. Totally worth it

I recommend not sinking the run. You probably don't have the room to make a sub floor which would be best so you can run electrical as well as DC under it and get under there to change it which you will. Make rigid runs and just have them running over the shop

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 12, 2014