Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

BadLlama posted:

Whats all this talk about Architecture ruining the economy on the official forums?

See a few posts back about using architecture to do the iron -> platforms money making. I know I ruined our server's iron market after turning 8000+ iron chunks into platforms then just vendoring them. The buy orders sit around 4s now and the sell orders at 4.15s. I know there was a ton of bitching about the iron market when this was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
It annoys me that you can change direction in mid-dodge. I wish dodging worked UT-style.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Quick question: does anyone know how to rejoin zone chat after you've left it? no variation of /chjoin zone seems to work.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Ihki posted:

Are you not using right click mouse look like people were telling you earlier? Turning 180 degrees very quickly with mouse look should not be difficult at all, binding a key for it feels counterproductive (doubt that's possible). Mouse look is probably the most important thing to handle in playing almost any MMO effectively, I can't imagine playing Wildstar with keyboard turning.

What other issues are you having?

I'm struggling to combine using the mouse to hold RMB down while using WASD (even with A/D strafing) and activating abilities.

I've added Deadlock - Extended add-on but it isn't really helping. I thought it would help me rotate around my selected object but clearly not :/

I've only got a 4 button mouse but I've got a Razer Naga Epic arriving tomorrow so perhaps that will alleviate my issues.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
True Life: I spent all my gold leveling my tailoring

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Tokubetsu posted:

I made 1.2 platinum leveling architect to expert, and maxing out novice, apprentice, and journeyman tech trees.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

BadLlama posted:

Whats all this talk about Architecture ruining the economy on the official forums?
They're all salty about the metal platforms thing because OMG INTRODUCING MORE GOLD INFLATION PANIC

At first they panicked because they thought you could get the mats from a vendor but once that was debunked they separated into the 'introducing gold via vendor is evil' vs. 'lol the auction house will correct itself you panicky petes' camps. I'm still reading through it but I might run out of popcorn.

Ore prices appear to be corrected on Warbringer but if you want to find other profit there are still plenty of commodities going for way less than they should. I'm doing my part but it's honestly barely a ripple. There are plenty of underpriced mats even just to vend without shoving into a schematic; grinding them through Architecture just magnifies the profit a little. Grab the CommodityStats and Multicraft addons and you can try it yourself.

Oh, and if it follows WoW patterns, the prices will 'un-correct' themselves during the week up to the start of each weekend and get unfucked towards the end of the weekend when everyone is processing out their loot before hanging it up for the day.

These 'amazing profits' are still peanuts compared to what people are saying they are making from actually just pushing to 50 though so I don't really see the big deal.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 9, 2014

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Tokubetsu posted:

Is the gear worth it? I'm a spellslinger at level 20 and need to find something enjoyable to blow all my plat on from the platform sales. Not gonna be raiding hardcore or anything so dropping 6p on an AMP doesn't feel like a fun use of money.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mithross posted:

I made 1.2 platinum leveling architect to expert, and maxing out novice, apprentice, and journeyman tech trees.

I can't go through Journeyman without taking a significant loss. Everything is so expensive.

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
The iron method is for power-gamers who lack vision. It gets so much more broken.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Troll posted:

The iron method is for power-gamers who lack vision. It gets so much more broken.

Actually it's stake grubbing for the shenanigans I'm going to get up to once CREDD rolls out and all the filthy poors start dumping materials.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I can't go through Journeyman without taking a significant loss. Everything is so expensive.

I made lamps, but diamond prices jumped a ton not long after I finished.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Two questions:

1.) how do I make a macro?
2.) is anyone aware of a one click dismiss all bots macro?

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
How do you look up item ID numbers in game? Trying to modify the plat2plat but not sure how he found the item ID number of metal plank.

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
If you are lazy you can just use jabbithole or wildheap and the url of the item will have the ID in it.

E.g. http://www.wildheap.com/en/item/15871

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Troll posted:

If you are lazy you can just use jabbithole or wildheap and the url of the item will have the ID in it.

E.g. http://www.wildheap.com/en/item/15871

Thanks, this works perfect. Plat ahoy.
e: Ah, had to look up the recipe ID # instead of the item.

Opioid fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 9, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

WastedJoker posted:

I'm struggling to combine using the mouse to hold RMB down while using WASD (even with A/D strafing) and activating abilities.

I've added Deadlock - Extended add-on but it isn't really helping. I thought it would help me rotate around my selected object but clearly not :/

I've only got a 4 button mouse but I've got a Razer Naga Epic arriving tomorrow so perhaps that will alleviate my issues.

I use Mouse 3 for activating stuff. I guess you're not a big PC FPS player?

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

WastedJoker posted:

Install steer, use WASD, use E to toggle mouselook, you can also hold CTRL for cursor while in mouselook.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Keep 1,2,3,4 bound then bind 5,6,7,8 to other keys. I use a Mouse side button and then Ctrl+Q Ctrl+E and Q.

Keys 5-8 are generally a pain in the rear end to press whiling moving around with WASD.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Can guest accounts get more experience once they hit 20 and if they buy it do they just autolevel up to whatever they should be at?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

PaganGoatPants posted:

I use Mouse 3 for activating stuff. I guess you're not a big PC FPS player?

Mouse 3 to activate your abilities on LAS?

Ummm, not sure what you mean or how that would work.

I've played FPS since Quake II. not sure the keyboard skills are transferable, tbh.

Pound_Coin posted:

Install steer, use WASD, use E to toggle mouselook, you can also hold CTRL for cursor while in mouselook.

I'm gonna just wait for my new mouse. Seems like the easiest (i.e best) way.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WastedJoker posted:

Mouse 3 to activate your abilities on LAS?

Ummm, not sure what you mean or how that would work.

Oh I meant to interact with stuff in the world like getting quests.

I use ESDF to strafe and move and just use all the keys around that for my LAS skills.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

BadLlama posted:

This game seems to have more than its fair share of UI bugs. Almost any item I try to buy off the auction house will give me a completely incorrect summary for how much it will cost. Yesterday it gave me a transaction summary of 10 platinum for a 10 Silver item, that cost me only 10 silver.

Yeah, I went back to the trainer just now and it let me change. Why it was saying 49 days before is anybodies guess.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
I... I really do not like this game. At all.

I haven't followed any of the hype, so it's possible I'm missing HUGE quality of life things that would change the game for me. But my level 12 impression is that the game is a complete mess; a slapdash collection of a bunch of mini-games sorted of haphazardly stuck together. Nothing works quite right, and bugs are rampant. The problem I'm having, though, is that the behavior I'm seeing could be either bugs OR failure to understand what I'm supposed to do - so far I'm about 50/50 on both, and that in and of itself is frustrating. I'm making this post in the hopes I'm just missing something and someone can help me out here.

The graphics and 1990-style omg so random monkey cheese pirate lol! writing are terrible, but that's just, like, my opinion, man. I don't like those things, but, whatever. I don't play these games for the story.

As for things I can (maybe? possibly?) change:

1. Running. Oh for gently caress's sake. Run run runrunrun everywhere. I've been playing for three hours and my finger hurts from holding down the mouse button. The "sprint" ability is annoying as gently caress; it lasts five seconds (I timed it) and then recharges. Why is this a separate ability? Why is there not just a general runspeed increase? How can I move faster? I probably spend the majority of my time moving from place to place, bored.

2. Quest tracking. This seems marginal at best. Quests are sort of kind of maybe tracked, and the little number icons (like a "2" in a circle) are usually in the wrong place. It doesn't seem to handle area quests well at all (as in, search this area for items).

3. Quest understanding. I have several quests where they introduce a new mechanic, but they don't explain it. For example, I had to use an item to play hot-or-cold to find a thing. Now that I know that's what was going on, I'm fine, but drat if it didn't take me several minutes of frustrated fumbling. To make matters worse, my character (Esper) is weak as poo poo, so I'm continually trying to evade fights as I'm failing whatever quest I'm on. Right now, I'm playing the game "bug or feature" with another quest where I'm supposed to use a wacky-named THING on some monsters. I don't have this THING anywhere in my inventory. Pressing T does nothing. There is no icon next to the quest. What am I doing wrong, or is it a bug? No idea. Quest text is _terrible_.

4. Challenges. Same as above. Many of them introduce some strange mechanic and so you're guaranteed failing the first time. This is just my frustration, though, since again I'm playing a weak character so killquests are awful.

5. Explosion of lovely quests. Solve one quest, get three more. This is the rate at which my quest log is exploding. And since they aren't tracked well, they're hard to understand, and often too difficult for my class, this is frustrating as hell.

Any advice? What am I doing wrong that everyone else seems to be having a goddamn blast playing this game? Is this just an issue of it-sucks-until-20 or whatever other arbitrary funcap level? Am I missing some better quest tracking?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hyzenth1ay posted:

3. Quest understanding. I have several quests where they introduce a new mechanic, but they don't explain it. For example, I had to use an item to play hot-or-cold to find a thing. Now that I know that's what was going on, I'm fine, but drat if it didn't take me several minutes of frustrated fumbling. To make matters worse, my character (Esper) is weak as poo poo, so I'm continually trying to evade fights as I'm failing whatever quest I'm on. Right now, I'm playing the game "bug or feature" with another quest where I'm supposed to use a wacky-named THING on some monsters. I don't have this THING anywhere in my inventory. Pressing T does nothing. There is no icon next to the quest. What am I doing wrong, or is it a bug? No idea. Quest text is _terrible_.

4. Challenges. Same as above. Many of them introduce some strange mechanic and so you're guaranteed failing the first time. This is just my frustration, though, since again I'm playing a weak character so killquests are awful.

I'm about ready to poo poo can my Esper for those reasons.

I'm about level 20 right now and the game is getting incredibly unfun. Low armor, low HP, no control and no mobility is turning out to be kind of a lovely combo.

Every single fight is turning into a Dark Souls boss fight and I see other classes face rolling.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
Espers are strong as gently caress and you might want to read a guide on how to play & build them or something if you're having a hard time. Leveling one of them with an alt about to reach level 20, I try to avoid fighting fewer than three mob packs at a time and soloing rare elites etc. goes smooth as hell. It just takes time to learn how to move in this game and sounds like you're not really enjoying trying that. Sprint is a pretty integral part of the game's combat mechanics even if it's an annoyance when traveling.

Dunno, with all the bad you said, you had nothing good to say about the game so maybe it just isn't for you. That said, the quest tracker is an atrocity, get an addon called Ayth Quest that will find and point you to all your nearby quest objectives.

http://www.jabbithole.com/builder/esper#1020F0H0l0m00000 this skill setup can definitely handle anything you throw at it when around level 12. Use your class ability (whatever it was called) in every fight and five point mind burst as much as humanly possible. You will kill everything. It's important to know that you can dodge roll when self-rooted by your class ability, so you can still move enough to dodge telegraphs and poo poo. Played to full effect, you can usually kill as many melee mobs at a time as you can pull.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 10, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hyzenth1ay posted:

I haven't followed any of the hype, so it's possible I'm missing HUGE quality of life things that would change the game for me. But my level 12 impression is that the game is a complete mess; a slapdash collection of a bunch of mini-games sorted of haphazardly stuck together. Nothing works quite right, and bugs are rampant. The problem I'm having, though, is that the behavior I'm seeing could be either bugs OR failure to understand what I'm supposed to do - so far I'm about 50/50 on both, and that in and of itself is frustrating. I'm making this post in the hopes I'm just missing something and someone can help me out here.

The graphics and 1990-style omg so random monkey cheese pirate lol! writing are terrible, but that's just, like, my opinion, man. I don't like those things, but, whatever. I don't play these games for the story.

As for things I can (maybe? possibly?) change:

1. Running. Oh for gently caress's sake. Run run runrunrun everywhere. I've been playing for three hours and my finger hurts from holding down the mouse button. The "sprint" ability is annoying as gently caress; it lasts five seconds (I timed it) and then recharges. Why is this a separate ability? Why is there not just a general runspeed increase? How can I move faster? I probably spend the majority of my time moving from place to place, bored.

2. Quest tracking. This seems marginal at best. Quests are sort of kind of maybe tracked, and the little number icons (like a "2" in a circle) are usually in the wrong place. It doesn't seem to handle area quests well at all (as in, search this area for items).

5. Explosion of lovely quests. Solve one quest, get three more. This is the rate at which my quest log is exploding. And since they aren't tracked well, they're hard to understand, and often too difficult for my class, this is frustrating as hell.

Any advice? What am I doing wrong that everyone else seems to be having a goddamn blast playing this game? Is this just an issue of it-sucks-until-20 or whatever other arbitrary funcap level? Am I missing some better quest tracking?

I don't think the game is for you, it sounds like you don't like it on a pretty fundamental level. v:shobon:v

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

It really sounds like MMOs aren't your thing. Every game in this genre requires running ad nauseum, has terrible/repetitive quests, and doesn't give you too much hand-holding when it comes to gimmick quests or new abilities. I'm no fanboy of this game, but I don't think it's any worse than SWTOR/Rift/WoW, though it does lack some of the polish since it just released.

Make use of healing items when questing, but I imagine they'll tune up Espers pretty soon if they're that bad at soloing. Try a different class, but don't expect any of the other typical MMO traits of the game to go away.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hyzenth1ay posted:

It doesn't seem to handle area quests well at all (as in, search this area for items).

That's because they want you to search an area for items for these quests as opposed to singing Follow The Arrow.

vv Sorry, your phrasing implied otherwise.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 10, 2014

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

That's because they want you to search an area for items for these quests as opposed to singing Follow The Arrow.

Unfortunately, they do give me an Arrow (and a marker location) - it's just wrong. I don't mind searching, but I really don't like misleading. Quest tracking in this game is bad.

Yeah... I don't think this game is for me. I can't figure out how to group up for a Ship quest (dunno how else to describe it, but the LFG tool doesn't even mention it). I'm frustrated as hell by the UI, by travel times, by being stalled out on any path I try to go (challenges, quests, exploration, ship quest thing).

Ah, well - this is what I get for jumping into a game without trying the demo :). Thanks all for the answers, and for not flaming me for not liking it.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010

Hyzenth1ay posted:

:words: :words: :words:

I'll try and help you out man, but as others have said, a lot of your complaints are standard MMO stuff, so nothing anyone says can help you in that regard. You may just not like MMORPGS, but barring that...

For each of your points:

1) Seriously, welcome to MMORPGs. Running everywhere is a thing. If you're coming from WoW, who spoils players by unlocking flight paths, you've got to understand that no other MMO does poo poo like that.

2) You can mouse over those numbers on your map to see a highlighted area that is fairly accurate when it comes to the "where" part of quests. Maybe that helps?

3) This is a legitimate gripe. This game is loving awful at describing the "what" and "how" parts of things.

4) I have yet to encounter a challenge like you describe, but I can totally see it being a thing because of how quests are handled. Legit gripe.

5) Your biggest complaint seems to be that your class is weak. I play a Spellslinger. I wear the same armor as you and my *one* mobility ability that I use at level 14 is on like a 15 second cooldown or something. I have to assume that either (a) you're not upgrading properly/at all ;(b) you're not using your abilities properly; or (c) you're standing in red stuff.

For (a)...I dunno, try crafting? Otherwise just do quests and get better gear. As far as (b) and (c) goes: you cannot, in many cases stand in one place and spam your '1' key. You have to make a conscious effort to not get hit by telegraphs and you have to use the skills available to you. That ability you have bound to 'R'? Use that poo poo. Every fight. If it's not up every fight, use it every other or just wait longer. It'll seriously make a difference. Don't "save" it, that's dumb. Also understand that enemies that are highlighted in red are on steroids and will gently caress you hard if you mess with them.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I usually abandon challenges when they first pop up and retry when the situation is optimal for a silver or gold, i.e. you're not competing with 3 other retards or there's actually enough spawns around to complete the poo poo. There's no wait time if you drop out before getting a medal.

The difficulty of challenges is all over to place regardless. Sometimes you get ones with copious amounts of time that you would have to try to fail, while others flat-out are too short, or have too few spawns, or too little credit per kill etc. etc. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I'm a 20 esper and I have to say the difference between using your R pretty much as soon as its up and "saving" it makes a huge difference in fights. Just eye-spotting other classes beating poo poo, our TTK is probably a bit slower than everyone else's, but is faster on any given pull where you use R. When you're soloing, except for certain telegraphs, the absorb more than takes care of any damage you might be standing in, so just spam that poo poo. Don't try that poo poo against fancypants mobs, though.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

jymbojones posted:

I play a Spellslinger. I wear the same armor as you and my *one* mobility ability that I use at level 14 is on like a 15 second cooldown or something.

As far as (b) and (c) goes: you cannot, in many cases stand in one place and spam your '1' key. You have to make a conscious effort to not get hit by telegraphs and you have to use the skills available to you.

You're playing the mobile, slippery class of the game, with that, esper is your opposite. For starters, you can use almost every ability of yours while moving, like everyone else in the game except espers. With the build I just posted their job is to find a way to press that '1' key and stand in one place. Movement after initial positioning should mostly happen with dodge rolls and while spamming instant spells. Interrupts are your first line of defense against dangerous telegraphs.

(you can build a more mobile esper by getting rid of Telekinetic Strike and replacing it with its melee alternative Psychic Frenzy, but it's melee, deals less damage and generates less combo points. Not sure if it's viable somewhere, but certainly not in low level PvE.)

Ihki fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 10, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Not having a great first experience with instanced content. The first(?) boss in Riot in the Void, Jarak seems to be summoning too many adds with too much HP. Furthermore HP counters in nameplate and unitframe form are broken, staying at 100% until the mob suddenly dies, whether I'm using BijiPlates or not.

The hell :(

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

jymbojones posted:

I'll try and help you out man, but as others have said, a lot of your complaints are standard MMO stuff, so nothing anyone says can help you in that regard. You may just not like MMORPGS, but barring that...

good stuff

I've actually played a bunch of MMOs in my time :corsair:... I think it's just this one. For the record, I also didn't enjoy Star Wars Old Republic, and recently trying Rift again made me sad too. Guess I'm just used to some quality of life improvements (decent quest tracking / explanation, reduced travel times) that aren't here.

It's worth noting that the main reason I didn't like SWtOR was the travel times. Running down blank corridors was like watching paint dry. For some reason, tho, I don't remember WoW having such rough travel times. Maybe the did, though, and I'm just all... rose-colored.

I really, really appreciate the honest replies. Do y'all know where I can go to get that quest tracker addon?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Ihki posted:

You're playing the mobile, slippery class of the game, with that, esper is your opposite. For starters, you can use almost every ability of yours while moving, like everyone else in the game except espers. With the build I just posted their job is to find a way to press that '1' key and stand in one place. Movement after initial positioning should mostly happen with dodge rolls and while spamming instant spells. Interrupts are your first line of defense against dangerous telegraphs.

(you can build a more mobile esper by getting rid of Telekinetic Strike and replacing it with its melee alternative Psychic Frenzy, but it's melee, deals less damage and generates less combo points. Not sure if it's viable somewhere, but certainly not in low level PvE.)

Mobility Esper is not really viable at low level PvE.

The damage is just too low. The stationary builder for me right now around 20 is ~500 DPS and 1 combo point every 1.25 seconds.

The mobile builder is ~350 DPS and 1 combo point every 2.25 seconds.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

folgore posted:

I usually abandon challenges when they first pop up and retry when the situation is optimal for a silver or gold, i.e. you're not competing with 3 other retards or there's actually enough spawns around to complete the poo poo. There's no wait time if you drop out before getting a medal.

The difficulty of challenges is all over to place regardless. Sometimes you get ones with copious amounts of time that you would have to try to fail, while others flat-out are too short, or have too few spawns, or too little credit per kill etc. etc. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Basically, this. With challenges I will get them, immediately make sure I am on the right track RE: What they want me to do, and if I have had a terribly start (from figuring out what it needs me to do) I'll open the tab, abandon and restart and do it the right way. I have rarely had a challenge flat out confuse me, but I will admit there have been at least challenge where the entire first minute was dedicated to "Use the WHAT on the WHO ...WHERE?"

And point 2 is absolutely true, some challenges seem to be stupid overtuned where you will fight tooth and nail just to scrape in a bronze rating - particularly some 'Kill monster' ones.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Do y'all know where I can go to get that quest tracker addon?
Addons are found on Curse and surprisingly easy to manage with their client.

Link for the addon mentioned earlier.

I'm glad addons are a thing, and I use a bunch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I don't really see where all of the complaints about the quest tracker are coming from. All you have to do is look at the map and go to where one of your objectives is. Usually there are some obvious shiny things to click or enemies with ! beside their name that you need to kill/use an item on. Maybe, god forbid, you'll have to glance at some words on your screen for a second.

• Locked thread