Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The side of my hand is apparently perfect for leaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
:3: Alexis does that too, it's so cute.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Sorry for bumping in like this as a lurker, but I feel like poo poo and need to vent somewhere. One of my favorite (I had four) budgie just died by ramming himself into the wall after having missed the cage. I think he broke his neck? Or broke something and had a heart attack? I'm not sure. I'm just beside myself. I thought he might have been in a coma, but once rigor mortis set in, I knew. Ugh. I feel so helpless. I'm used to leaving them out all the time, never a problem with manoeuvring, and this one was only 3 years old. How could this have happened.

gently caress.

/Edit
I'm reading the previous pages and you're all cheering me up a bit.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 2, 2014

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

StarMinstrel posted:

Sorry for bumping in like this as a lurker, but I feel like poo poo and need to vent somewhere. One of my favorite (I had four) budgie just died by ramming himself into the wall after having missed the cage. I think he broke his neck? Or broke something and had a heart attack? I'm not sure. I'm just beside myself. I thought he might have been in a coma, but once rigor mortis set in, I knew. Ugh. I feel so helpless. I'm used to leaving them out all the time, never a problem with manoeuvring, and this one was only 3 years old. How could this have happened.

gently caress.

/Edit
I'm reading the previous pages and you're all cheering me up a bit.

Aw, that sucks :( Sorry for your loss.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The side of my hand is apparently perfect for leaning.

Ugh... So lucky. The only time Ritz would do that is never. :kimchi:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My Grandfather is a loon he loves a good lovebird.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Do you guys have any recommendations for recording devices that might be able to capture a budgie speaking? Our bird is just about six years old and he's always been a pretty big talker, but all of a sudden he's vastly expanded his vocabulary. At first I thought he was just babbling, which he does all the time, but I've definitely started hearing a few of the same phrases - I just can't understand what he's saying! For whatever reason, he loves phones, but I haven't been able to find a good program that'll record him clearly.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for recording devices that might be able to capture a budgie speaking? Our bird is just about six years old and he's always been a pretty big talker, but all of a sudden he's vastly expanded his vocabulary. At first I thought he was just babbling, which he does all the time, but I've definitely started hearing a few of the same phrases - I just can't understand what he's saying! For whatever reason, he loves phones, but I haven't been able to find a good program that'll record him clearly.

You'll want a good quality external microphone. You might try doing an Amazon search for "stereo microphone" and check the reviews. From there it should be pretty easy to just plug it into your phone or computer and record.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

thunderstorms are scary :ohdear:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oh god, this is second only to the tiel singing Totoro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhjbazNuqvs

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Inko has this foraging toy: http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Instinct-Foragewise-Conures-Amazons/dp/B000E43A7W that used to be Ohtori's, until he learned to open it in one single movement. I didn't know if he'd be able to open it properly, since he's smaller and can't use his feet to hold it in place, but recently it's been open with the seeds missing and neither of us has seen how he's doing it. Today we caught him in action... he's opening it using his beak, but from the back of the toy :v:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The cutest bird! Inko, take note.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I think it's my turn :/

My female bird hasn't really moved all morning. Even her body; she doesn't walk, doesn't look at anything, just sits on the floor with her eyes closed. She won't touch the Nutriberry I put in front of her. I'm hoping she's ready to lay an egg since I smell that distinct smell that comes out of her when she's ready, but I've never seen her this lethargic.

Waiting for a callback from some of the emergency vets since regular vets are closed on Sundays (of course) but in my experience, when a bird starts showing symptoms it's too late. She was fine last night, and as active as always. My male bird seems kind of oblivious and keeps rubbing his head against her expecting a preening with no response.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
The only advice I can offer is to check for any yellow spots or abnormal swelling (which could potentially indicate fluids) on her belly. If you see any, take her to a vet ASAP. I lost a budgie 3 years ago from a broken egg. It poisoned her in two hours.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

StarMinstrel posted:

The only advice I can offer is to check for any yellow spots or abnormal swelling (which could potentially indicate fluids) on her belly. If you see any, take her to a vet ASAP. I lost a budgie 3 years ago from a broken egg. It poisoned her in two hours.

That was my main concern; she tends to lay eggs around June-July and by the way she was acting it looked like stuff wasn't coming out. I just got back and her reproductive system is clear and all her levels are fine. They wanted to keep her for a few days but I can't afford it on top of what I paid today, but the vet said given how attentive I am to them we'll try a basic home treatment of antibiotics. Her best guess is that her reproductive system is infected.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I need some advice on housing my two budgies. Ever since we brought him home, Ellison has become fast friends with Huxley, and they play and preen. I haven't witnessed any sort of aggressive behaviour or posture from either one to the other, and they have no problem chilling together in the same cage, and will follow each other from one to the other.

So, my question- I'd like to, if they still get along as well in a month or two, consider moving both of them from their single cages to a larger, more open cage where everyone has more room. Is this a good idea? If so, what can I do to try and avoid any territorial behaviours, stuff like separate food and water dishes? How much space should I be looking for in a shared cage like that?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I need some advice on housing my two budgies. Ever since we brought him home, Ellison has become fast friends with Huxley, and they play and preen. I haven't witnessed any sort of aggressive behaviour or posture from either one to the other, and they have no problem chilling together in the same cage, and will follow each other from one to the other.

So, my question- I'd like to, if they still get along as well in a month or two, consider moving both of them from their single cages to a larger, more open cage where everyone has more room. Is this a good idea? If so, what can I do to try and avoid any territorial behaviours, stuff like separate food and water dishes? How much space should I be looking for in a shared cage like that?

Yeah, there's no reason not to try that. It might be a good idea to try split water/food at first but don't be surprised if they just eat from the same or both dishes. Hell, the only reason you might have two food dishes (and you'd probably just put them near each other) is if they're crowding each other trying to eat.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

So I keep finding differing opinions on this: is it okay for budgies to eat cheese? Tokyo seems to really like the smell of cheese, but I don't want to try giving her any until I know for sure that it's okay.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Sociopastry posted:

So I keep finding differing opinions on this: is it okay for budgies to eat cheese? Tokyo seems to really like the smell of cheese, but I don't want to try giving her any until I know for sure that it's okay.

Yes, they can have cheese. They can't digest lactose, but they aren't intolerant to it so it just passes out the other end. Sometimes it results in extra pooping and you also might want to stay away from blue cheese or other moldy cheeses just to be safe.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sociopastry posted:

Ritz literally chases us around the house for string cheese. In moderation its fine.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

WorldWarWonderful posted:

That was my main concern; she tends to lay eggs around June-July and by the way she was acting it looked like stuff wasn't coming out. I just got back and her reproductive system is clear and all her levels are fine. They wanted to keep her for a few days but I can't afford it on top of what I paid today, but the vet said given how attentive I am to them we'll try a basic home treatment of antibiotics. Her best guess is that her reproductive system is infected.

Hope she gets well soon!

Eejit posted:

Yes, they can have cheese. They can't digest lactose, but they aren't intolerant to it so it just passes out the other end. Sometimes it results in extra pooping and you also might want to stay away from blue cheese or other moldy cheeses just to be safe.

This, tiny amounts are fine. Cheese is the only thing so far Inko will try to use his messed up feet to hold :3:

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 9, 2014

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Thanks guys! Just wanted to be sure. Gouda is good-a for Tokyo, then. :v:

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
After the usual five-hundred-dollar battery of inconclusive tests, the vet's best guess was a reproductive tract infection. She said it was probably in the early stages. I spent yesterday playing nurse; giving her her meds, water, and a Harrison mush through syringes. Not force feeding her; just putting a little bit onto her tongue so it was at least something. From the ultrasound and blood tests she's very healthy; great bone density, a few marks on the lungs (doesn't surprise me since she had two respiratory infections within my first year of owning her), and so on. The vet said I'm an amazing owner (every vet tells me this :3:) since I let them have a massive cage, and change its layout / toy rotation every month or two.

She's still a little lethargic, puffy, and not vocal but so far she's survived the night, and has been pecking at the crumbs left over from the pellets. I don't think we're out of the woods yet so I took today off work to observe (first time I've taken a sick day since 2007), but there's some poop under the perch where she was sleeping last night, and she wasn't going yesterday.

I guess cautiously optimistic is the best way to describe my mood. When I saw her yesterday morning I thought it was more or less over; even last night was very touch and go. There was a point where she sat on their wooden platform, and my male bird stopped what he was doing and just sat beside her for the rest of the night, and I figured she wouldn't live to see daylight. I'm still expecting it to go either way at this point.

Thanks for being there bird thread.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 9, 2014

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

WorldWarWonderful posted:

After the usual five-hundred-dollar battery of inconclusive tests, the vet's best guess was a reproductive tract infection. She said it was probably in the early stages. I spent yesterday playing nurse; giving her her meds, water, and a Harrison mush through syringes. Not force feeding her; just putting a little bit onto her tongue so it was at least something. From the ultrasound and blood tests she's very healthy; great bone density, a few marks on the lungs (doesn't surprise me since she had two respiratory infections within my first year of owning her), and so on. The vet said I'm an amazing owner (every vet tells me this :3:) since I let them have a massive cage, and change its layout / toy rotation every month or two.

She's still a little lethargic, puffy, and not vocal but so far she's survived the night, and has been pecking at the crumbs left over from the pellets. I don't think we're out of the woods yet so I took today off work to observe (first time I've taken a sick day since 2007), but there's some poop under the perch where she was sleeping last night, and she wasn't going yesterday.

I guess cautiously optimistic is the best way to describe my mood. When I saw her yesterday morning I thought it was more or less over; even last night was very touch and go. There was a point where she sat on their wooden platform, and my male bird stopped what he was doing and just sat beside her for the rest of the night, and I figured she wouldn't live to see daylight. I'm still expecting it to go either way at this point.

Thanks for being there bird thread.
Poop is an extremely good sign, there's still a chance she'll get better. Birds can be so amazingly hardy at times. Also it seems like she can still eat food being put on her tongue, which is also a very good sign.

GaiaFag
Jun 20, 2007
KING OF THE FURRIES (AUTOPILOT ON BITCH)
We brought our baby home last week!

Also; If being late to work because the kids want to play is wrong, I don't want to be right.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I'm a bad bird owner. I had Tokyo on my shoulder while Iwas doing the dishes after dinner tonight, and she suddenly flew off and landed right in the sink full of water. Her head went under and fished her out as soon as I could grab her. She choked up a lot of water and bubbles. I called the emergency vet because it's late at night here and they said to just keep an eye on her and make sure she's breathing okay. She started screeching not long after that, so I figure she's fine, but it still scared the living daylights out of me. I think tonight's gonna be an all nighter while I stay up and watch her. I'm just terrified that she didn't get all the water out and she'll die. Advice? Comfort?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Birdies are tougher than we give them credit for. She'll be okay, and you're not a bad bird owner, so don't beat yourself up over an accident. :glomp:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Chili posted:

Seconding the shreddy bits. My tiels have no interest in bells whatsoever but YMMV obviously.

The thing that they loved the most was this: http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=2252&product=16630

If you check my post history in here, my lady tiel was so smitten by it that she just quietly stood on it for a few days, utterly motionless.

Then one day, I come back and the whole thing was trashed, it looked like a mob hit.

I picked up one of these for Babs and put it in her cage a few days ago. She spent the first night avoiding it at all costs. Then I stuffed some almonds into it and she's been destroying it ever since. Thank you!

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

I'm a bad bird owner. I had Tokyo on my shoulder while Iwas doing the dishes after dinner tonight, and she suddenly flew off and landed right in the sink full of water. Her head went under and fished her out as soon as I could grab her. She choked up a lot of water and bubbles. I called the emergency vet because it's late at night here and they said to just keep an eye on her and make sure she's breathing okay. She started screeching not long after that, so I figure she's fine, but it still scared the living daylights out of me. I think tonight's gonna be an all nighter while I stay up and watch her. I'm just terrified that she didn't get all the water out and she'll die. Advice? Comfort?

I have literally fallen into a river with my bird. She is alive and well.

On a scale of bad bird owners, you are magnitudes below where I land.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Today Finn was being extremely loud, crying and yelling for an hour or two straight. I finally got frustrated and yelled at him, "SHUT. THE gently caress. UP FINN." And he went silent for thirty seconds or so and then very low at first went "rrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" with increasing volume, finally screaming the end. Birds.

I want to know the best 'Birds.' stories! :3: You know the ones, where after the bird does the thing you can't help but sigh and wonder why you didn't get a dog instead.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Amaya posted:

Today Finn was being extremely loud, crying and yelling for an hour or two straight. I finally got frustrated and yelled at him, "SHUT. THE gently caress. UP FINN." And he went silent for thirty seconds or so and then very low at first went "rrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" with increasing volume, finally screaming the end. Birds.

I want to know the best 'Birds.' stories! :3: You know the ones, where after the bird does the thing you can't help but sigh and wonder why you didn't get a dog instead.

My cockatoo is a real fucker sometimes and just screams for an hour straight. Loud. Well, on occasion I too lose my poo poo at him and yell right the gently caress at him. His response? Turn around and give me sass. Like this, but with his own special flair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaI6SWfDnTc

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Hey Eejit! And hey everyone else, I have questions about Budgies.

So my girlfriend recently got a budgie. I've been doing some reading and I think the bird is about a month old. I think she got it from the pet store too soon, I am not sure they knew what they were doing. Anyway a couple things, firstly the budgie will only eat millet, and we can't seem to get it to eat seed. The bird has bonded to her really strongly and will follow her everywhere but she can't even handfeed it seeds, it just kinda nibbles and spits it out. It also won't eat any fruits or veggies. It does occasionally nibble on its mineral block but it mostly only eats millet.

Was this budgie screwed up by the pet store? When we saw it at about 2-3 weeks it was all alone in a carrier, and it was being hand fed formula like stuff, but I don't think it was raised with any parents. I am worried because I know eating only millet is really bad for budgies. It won't stop screeching all the time because its really hungry (I think) but it won't eat on its own. To make matters worse she and I both work during the day and so the bird is left alone for a about 8 hours. If it can't eat on its own (unless we leave millet in the cage) isn't this very bad as baby budgies are supposed to be fed like ever 3 hours?

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Hey Eejit! And hey everyone else, I have questions about Budgies.

So my girlfriend recently got a budgie. I've been doing some reading and I think the bird is about a month old. I think she got it from the pet store too soon, I am not sure they knew what they were doing. Anyway a couple things, firstly the budgie will only eat millet, and we can't seem to get it to eat seed. The bird has bonded to her really strongly and will follow her everywhere but she can't even handfeed it seeds, it just kinda nibbles and spits it out. It also won't eat any fruits or veggies. It does occasionally nibble on its mineral block but it mostly only eats millet.

Was this budgie screwed up by the pet store? When we saw it at about 2-3 weeks it was all alone in a carrier, and it was being hand fed formula like stuff, but I don't think it was raised with any parents. I am worried because I know eating only millet is really bad for budgies. It won't stop screeching all the time because its really hungry (I think) but it won't eat on its own. To make matters worse she and I both work during the day and so the bird is left alone for a about 8 hours. If it can't eat on its own (unless we leave millet in the cage) isn't this very bad as baby budgies are supposed to be fed like ever 3 hours?

Get a second budgie, dude. It's no good leaving the little guy on his own all day, he'll get lonely. If you get a slightly older, more experienced budgie, he'll might pick up good eating habits off of him.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Boodge Bum posted:

Get a second budgie, dude. It's no good leaving the little guy on his own all day, he'll get lonely. If you get a slightly older, more experienced budgie, he'll might pick up good eating habits off of him.

I've always heard that if you get a second budgie they will bond to each other and not want anything to do with people.

edit: Also getting a second one is likely off the table (its my girlfriends decision not mine). So assuming that is the case what can I do for the little guy?

ScienceAndMusic fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 10, 2014

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Science is completely right about the bonding issue. If that's a problem, do not get a second bird.
I'd say see the vet. He might have some digestion problems if he's that picky. You may be recommended to handfeed him for a while until he eats on his own properly.

Also I find the "eat your food, it's what's for dinner, you don't get anything else" treatment can work. It worked on Iro when she was a big whiny bany about going on pellets. Try taking out his millet and leaving him only with his food. He might decide it's food if he gets hungry enough.

I suggest vet first.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I don't have any experience with handraising budgies, but it sounds to me that it hasn't been properly weened off formula, if it even weened at all.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
OK bird nerds, quick question: I have a new wok that I need to season, and part of the process is drying it on the stove after washing it. The guides say that some of the chemicals will still be on the wok even after scrubbing, so I'm worried it may cause those bird-death-fumes we've tried so hard to avoid. Any thoughts? Thanks!

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Sekkira posted:

I don't have any experience with handraising budgies, but it sounds to me that it hasn't been properly weened off formula, if it even weened at all.

Yeah doing some more reading I think he needs formula again, I am gonna pick some up make sure its at the right temperature and feed him some formula, he's just not ready to be weened, I think the pet store really hosed this one up.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ok, this might sound kind of weird but I think he looks a bit like you there :3:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

artichoke posted:

OK bird nerds, quick question: I have a new wok that I need to season, and part of the process is drying it on the stove after washing it. The guides say that some of the chemicals will still be on the wok even after scrubbing, so I'm worried it may cause those bird-death-fumes we've tried so hard to avoid. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Just keep the place well ventilated and keep the bird in another room with doors closed and windows open if you can.

Or get a cast iron wok :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
This

was once this

http://www.globalpets.com/Zoo-Max-DUS712-Groovy-Gizmo-Bird-Toy_p_17065.html

It lasted 2 days.

The culprit:

:parrot:I HAVE A $15 PER DAY HABIT!:parrot: