Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So he really is a magnet snake. Red and blue for the opposing polarities of a magnet. Will he have split personalities too?
That must give him awful headaches.

vvv Regardless of the sunglasses containing a dark power, Spender is the hugest dork.

Fecha fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?

Tenebrais posted:

It's heavily implied, but never stated, that Spender's sunglasses are a tool containing Lucifer and he is himself possessed by an evil shadow spirit, and that he never removes his sunglasses so that Lucifer can keep the shadow spirit from getting out.

I never put together the implication that Spender is actually unable to take the sunglasses off without risking the shadow spirit taking over. I just thought he never took them off because he was a huge dork. He probably wears them in the shower and to bed, too. That must get pretty inconvenient.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I must ask if I'm the only one who got this impression but; at first I thought magnet snake closed his beak, then reopened his beak and now two sets of blue eyes and a mouth replaced his previous setup and he had an interchangeable inner-beak flesh. Maybe he could open his face and just have three gaping maws. Then I realized his head is probably just upside down in that first panel where you see his face and he can just change his eye colour and I got a little sad.

I wonder when Max's bat will become able to bite his foes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Prison Warden posted:

I wonder when Max's bat will become able to bite his foes.
I never thought of that, but the bat and the snake are similar shaped. It could easily end up all wriggly with a little face on the end :3:

Kesshan
Jan 29, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

It's heavily implied, but never stated, that Spender's sunglasses are a tool containing Lucifer and he is himself possessed by an evil shadow spirit, and that he never removes his sunglasses so that Lucifer can keep the shadow spirit from getting out.

It's somewhat explicitly stated on this page.

I think the important question is: if Max tries to throw the bat away so he doesn't get devoured, can scrapdragon just magnet it to prevent it from leaving range?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Coach Sport posted:

I never put together the implication that Spender is actually unable to take the sunglasses off without risking the shadow spirit taking over. I just thought he never took them off because he was a huge dork. He probably wears them in the shower and to bed, too. That must get pretty inconvenient.

Given the way other tools work, I dunno if he needs to actually wear them. He almost certainly has to at least keep them somewhere on his person though.

I could really go either way on this. 50/50 chance of Spender wearing them because he's a huge loving dork.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

So he really is a magnet snake. Red and blue for the opposing polarities of a magnet. Will he have split personalities too?

Might just be... bipolar.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Given the way other tools work, I dunno if he needs to actually wear them. He almost certainly has to at least keep them somewhere on his person though.

I could really go either way on this. 50/50 chance of Spender wearing them because he's a huge loving dork.

Yeah, he definitely has to keep them close. Even if he's as good at tools as Isabel, it's probably just safer for him to keep them on him.

I suspect he keeps wearing them both because he's a huge dork and because his eyes are weird as a result of his possession. Though I also wonder if, because Lucifer can control light, Spender can do crazy poo poo with his sunglasses like night vision (presumably, given he can drive in them) and infrared.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tenebrais posted:

I just remembered why I was confused: the lamp in his bedroom looks like Lucifer's head. And talks. :confused:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Renaissance Robot posted:

I just remembered why I was confused: the lamp in his bedroom looks like Lucifer's head. And talks. :confused:

The lamp in that scene is Lucifer, it was a quick spirit convo thing.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Cat Mattress posted:

The lamp in that scene is Lucifer, it was a quick spirit convo thing.

You can tell because the background fades away when Lucifer appears

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Might just be... bipolar.

Man, I made this exact joke last page and no one picked up on it. :qq:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Haha whoops~ I honestly didn't see it.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

A cast entry for Lucifer was added, which explicitly states that he stays in Spender's sunglasses, if you needed more proof.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Probably not literally Satan sounds a lot like totally literally Satan.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Apropos of nothing, but am I the only one who kind of thinks Spender could end up becoming a villain later on? Like, right now he's just their goofy teacher, but this mission has gotten one injured and nearly killed a second--and the whole preceding chapter was largely about him being sort of ineffectual AND getting his boss and all of his co-workers mad suspicious about his poo poo. He's almost too incompetent at what he claims to be good at to really be believed to hold the position he holds.

He's mad sketch yo and I think he's gonna turn evil or whatever

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Apropos of nothing, but am I the only one who kind of thinks Spender could end up becoming a villain later on? Like, right now he's just their goofy teacher, but this mission has gotten one injured and nearly killed a second--and the whole preceding chapter was largely about him being sort of ineffectual AND getting his boss and all of his co-workers mad suspicious about his poo poo. He's almost too incompetent at what he claims to be good at to really be believed to hold the position he holds.

He's mad sketch yo and I think he's gonna turn evil or whatever

It's been said before (Both by characters in the comic and in this thread), but Spender's "The Ends Justify the Means" attitude is going to end horribly for someone down the line-possibly him, possibly someone else. I think a lot of it is going to boil down to 2 things-what the "Terrible Thing" that happened to Mayhew was, and what the consequences were when it happened the first time, and that other spirit that Spender has locked in his head. It's pretty clearly some kind of tentacled monstrosity, but it wouldn't surprise me if Spender decided to allow it to possess him voluntarily-after all, if it's hideously powerful, then clearly someone as talented and focused as Richard Spender would be able to control that power and use it for the Greater Good. Or at least, so he would think.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't think Spender could be worse even if he were trying.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's been said before (Both by characters in the comic and in this thread), but Spender's "The Ends Justify the Means" attitude is going to end horribly for someone down the line-possibly him, possibly someone else. I think a lot of it is going to boil down to 2 things-what the "Terrible Thing" that happened to Mayhew was, and what the consequences were when it happened the first time, and that other spirit that Spender has locked in his head. It's pretty clearly some kind of tentacled monstrosity, but it wouldn't surprise me if Spender decided to allow it to possess him voluntarily-after all, if it's hideously powerful, then clearly someone as talented and focused as Richard Spender would be able to control that power and use it for the Greater Good. Or at least, so he would think.

I've never noticed the shadow in that comic before, I always assumed that Lucifer was referring to the effort of making light constructs as his battle. Interesting.

Spender's conversation with Karate Grandpa is pretty telling. He is training soldiers for someone unnamed, probably the Activity Consortium, and notes that Spender is secretly fighting against the same organization. For what purpose? Well, we don't know yet.

Rand Brittain posted:

Given that the stronger spirit inside of him is locked away I eagerly anticipate an anime-style "THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM" moment.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Rand Brittain posted:

I actually believe Spender is incredibly competent, he's just way too focused on looking cool. Like, if he didn't gently caress around with posing and doing flips and trying to seem badass, I suspect he would and could wreck just about anything thrown at him without breaking a sweat.

The problem is he is a huge dork, and what good is wrecking poo poo if you can't look cool doing it?

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Given that the stronger spirit inside of him is locked away I eagerly anticipate an anime-style "THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM" moment.
The "dark spirit sealed away in a literal jail in the tortured protagonist's soul" thing is just like Naruto.

Lucifer also mentions that due to him being busy containing the Biggest Baddest Spirit they can't use "spirit fusion". I assume that means some kind of Bleach thing where the spirit melds with the spectral and makes a fancy new form.

Basically Spender might have even more anime going on in him than Isaac.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
So I guess scrap dragon can freely change the contents of his face-slits, from nostrils to eyes to a mouth.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=265

Link to new page

Panel 3 sorta looks like Scrapdragon has itty bitty claws holding onto the train

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That was an unwise approach to take.

And yeah I think he's made himself metal claws and horns out of his scrap.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 9, 2014

Steel_
May 30, 2014
Max continues to suck as the protagonist, good good.

Scrapdragon doesn't exactly seem like the brightest of giant magnetic snakes though, reacts more like an animal would than a god.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I can't decide if I'm amused at Zach not giving us Scrapdragon's real name (and running through the obvious nicknames) or annoyed. Maybe both at once.

Also? Poor, poor, stupid Max.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I can't decide if I'm amused at Zach not giving us Scrapdragon's real name (and running through the obvious nicknames) or annoyed. Maybe both at once.

Also? Poor, poor, stupid Max.

Unless he's trolling Scrapdragon is its real name.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Huh. Well, okay then.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

horriblePencilist posted:

So I guess scrap dragon can freely change the contents of his face-slits, from nostrils to eyes to a mouth.

What can I say, when you got it you got it. :smug:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Stop hitting yourself, Scrapdragon.

Or like, stop being hit by your house, or something.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Is there ever really any kind of bonding or contract process that binds a tool spirit to a spectral? Max just grabbed a bat which happened to have a spirit in it, for all we know Scrapdragon could be indifferent or hostile to him.

The spirits we've met so far seem more or less happy to cooperate with the human they work with, even the Storm spirit in Isaac despite his complaining, but is there any reason the Scrapdragon wouldn't just bite Max's head off beyond partnering with a spectral is a good way for a spirit to regain their strength faster?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
As far as we've been told, no. There's basically nothing stopping a spirit from just murder-killing their spectral if they don't like them. They basically just have to decide if they'd rather suck up their pride to be able to reincarnate or not. I suspect it might depend a bit on how long a spirit has been in a tool. The whale-frog probably won't want to buddy up with a spectral for a while, but a couple years in a plunger and his tune'll probably change.

Definitely getting more of a Godzilla than Loki feel from Scrapdragon, though. There's a good chance he won't be friendly, at least not at first.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
So what happens when one of their spirits gains enough strength to leave whatever tool/body they possess? Isaac's spirit doesn't seem to friendly toward Mr. Spender, and since he possesses Isaac, Isaac was around when he was defeated. What does that say about their relationship when his spirit is able to go its own way?

Eightfold seems pretty cool but that doesn't mean the others are.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Definitely getting more of a Godzilla than Loki feel from Scrapdragon, though.

Maybe he has split personalities! :v:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

AnonSpore posted:

Maybe he has split personalities! :v:

I kind of want him to do a Cerberus thing and try and talk with three different voices saying three different things all at once.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
And Isabel inadvertently causes another death. When will it end?!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Blue eyes dragon attracts the metal, red eyes dragon repels.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Blue eyes dragon attracts the metal, red eyes dragon repels.

But what does the the blue eyes white dragon do?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Baron O Beefdip posted:

But what does the the blue eyes white dragon do?

Be overhyped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

pik_d posted:

So what happens when one of their spirits gains enough strength to leave whatever tool/body they possess? Isaac's spirit doesn't seem to friendly toward Mr. Spender, and since he possesses Isaac, Isaac was around when he was defeated. What does that say about their relationship when his spirit is able to go its own way?

Eightfold seems pretty cool but that doesn't mean the others are.

Zack went in to that a little on tumblr actually;

http://firstnamezacklastnamemorrison.tumblr.com/post/88304083393/

Basically if Isaac wanted to, he could force his spirit to stay inside him and keep using his powers.

In a previous ask, Zack used the Man-Lizard Consortium agent as an example of a spectral retaining their spirit even after it's healed, hence his overly animalistic appearance.