Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

The Ape of Naples posted:

Ok, not a Wikipedia article but this counts as creepy to me even though I'm sure there is a plausible explanation. Sorry, the source is the NY Daily News so take it with a grain of salt.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/great-white-shark-possibly-eaten-larger-mystery-animal-article-1.1821781

Don't you watch the Discovery Channel? It was clearly a megalodon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Ok, not a Wikipedia article but this counts as creepy to me even though I'm sure there is a plausible explanation. Sorry, the source is the NY Daily News so take it with a grain of salt.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/great-white-shark-possibly-eaten-larger-mystery-animal-article-1.1821781

It's giant cannibal shark

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Well, that's sorted. Sharks that big have been found before.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Well, that's sorted. Sharks that big have been found before.

There's some youtube home videos in the comments of people out fishing or whatever with giant fuckoff sharks circling the boat. Nopenopenope.

They totally know how to take down a boat.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

An 8 foot white would be like a snack to a couple of Orca.

Here is an article on Orca, Assholes of the Seas.

http://blog.sfgate.com/stienstra/2014/04/26/orcas-attack-gray-whales-in-monterey-bay-11-pics/

quote:

“The fight lasted over two hours,” Selby said. “The orcas came in in groups of four or five and tried to separate the whales and drown the baby. They would pulse forward in an attacking line four or five abreast and dive under and on top of the whales.

“The mother fought valiantly. The whales rolled and flailed at their assailants.

“The calf tried to stay on the back of her mom, hooking her tail over mom’s spine, tucking in her flipper so the orcas could not grab them, and even draping her body on top of mom,” Selby said. “Mom fought and fought. We could just see the baby on top of her, often out of the water. The orcas tried to swim between them and dove under and rushed to the surface, pummeling her from below.”

It took a series of prolonged assaults, coming in wave after wave, but they finally succeeded.

With the calf pushed to the side of its mother, the orcas then dragged the baby whale below the surface and drowned it, Selby said.

“I’ve been around enough to know that nature is cruel, but it was hard to watch,” he said.

A feeding spectacle

The orcas then took turns feeding, where they dove down in small groups to take their turns. All the while, the orcas put on a show where they breached, tail slapped. “It was like they were celebrating their victory,” Selby said.

The mother gray whale abandoned the area quickly. Four big humpbacks showed up to see what was going on, Selby said, and were then harassed by the orcas.

There are many more descriptions and videos of Orca attacks, and they all have their own proclivities and preferences. There is even one specific clan that is said to make a delicacy of sperm whale tongue. If anything in the ocean is unnerving it's these fellas.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

13Pandora13 posted:

There's some youtube home videos in the comments of people out fishing or whatever with giant fuckoff sharks circling the boat. Nopenopenope.

They totally know how to take down a boat.

I'm not sure if we can say for sure that the shark was thinking "Food on boat; bite boat to get food" or if it was just hosed up on chum and decided to chomp on the nearest floating squishy thing. Either way, many people like to think of sharks as thoughtless instinct-driven predators, but great whites (and their kin) in particular are pretty intelligent. They are the only known non-cetaceans that spyhop.

If you're not sure what that means, I'll sum it up: they sometimes poke their heads out of the water for extended periods of time to investigate potential prey items above the surface.

Digging around the related links on the Pit of Despair article led me to an article about leaked footage that was taken during brain damage experiments in baboons:

quote:

The film shows at least one sedated but not anesthetized baboon with his wrists and ankles tied, strapped to an operating table, his shaved head secured with dental cement inside a helmet. A hydraulic device known as Penn 2 slams the baboon's head from behind, pushing it forward at a 60-degree angle with a force of what the researchers said was up to 1000 g, apparently intended to simulate whiplash.

While one baboon was being injured on the operating table by the hydraulic device, the camera panned to a brain-damaged, drooling monkey strapped into a high chair in a corner of the room, with the words "Cheerleading in the corner, we have B-10. B-10 wishes his counterpart well. As you can see, B-10 is still alive. B-10 is hoping for a good result," followed by laughter.

:gonk:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

An 8 foot white would be like a snack to a couple of Orca.

Here is an article on Orca, Assholes of the Seas.

http://blog.sfgate.com/stienstra/2014/04/26/orcas-attack-gray-whales-in-monterey-bay-11-pics/

There are many more descriptions and videos of Orca attacks, and they all have their own proclivities and preferences. There is even one specific clan that is said to make a delicacy of sperm whale tongue. If anything in the ocean is unnerving it's these fellas.

Orcas and dolphins like to play and carry out complex tasks that involve teamwork, some of it whimsical and some of it horrific, and they don't really seem to care either way. It's apparently common for them to kill lone sharks and leave the body. There are stories of dolphins and orcas protecting rafts and swimmers from sharks or carrying sailors back to their boats or the shore when they've gone overboard. Stories like this make me wonder if there are an equal number of incidents with sailors gone overboard and eaten as a snack, or rafts deliberately sunk in a spirit of fun and cooperation by one of the few species on this planet that approach sapience. Because of course in those cases, there would be nobody left to tell the story.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's pretty disturbing in general that the animals that are closer to sapience tend to be psychopathic assholes, i.e. dolphins and chimps.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse

A real bad engineering decision killed 114 people in Kansas City in 1981.

Wikipedia posted:

Kansas City's natural disaster response team, known as "Operation Bulldozer," was also summoned to the scene with earthmoving equipment, but was quickly sent away to make room for cranes that would lift the sections of walkway off the trapped survivors. Dr. Joseph Waeckerle, former chief of Kansas City's emergency medical system, directed the rescue effort establishing a makeshift morgue in a ground floor exhibition area, using the hotel's taxicab driveway as a triage area and helping to organize the wounded by greatest need for medical care. Those people who could walk were instructed to leave the hotel to simplify the rescue effort; those mortally injured were told they were going to die and given morphine. Often, rescuers had to dismember bodies in order to reach survivors among the wreckage. One victim's right leg was trapped under an I-beam and had to be amputated by a surgeon, a task which was completed with a chain saw.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Wikipedia posted:

those mortally injured were told they were going to die

Is this standard practice? I don't see why you would want to freak out a dying person by telling them they are dying.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Hummingbirds posted:

Is this standard practice? I don't see why you would want to freak out a dying person by telling them they are dying.

Makes sense when you have a large number of people in a disaster like that. You can't do anything for them but give them something for the pain to ease them through it, you don't have time to sit there and hold their hand when there are other people who could survive if you get to them in time.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

In the .mil MASSCAS training we ere told ignore those who were expectant. Its lovely, but in those events, the time it takes to explain it or hold someone's hand through it, two more just dropped from urgent to expectant.
Personally, if I am going to die, just loving tell me and move on to save the next guy.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

bulletsponge13 posted:

In the .mil MASSCAS training we ere told ignore those who were expectant. Its lovely, but in those events, the time it takes to explain it or hold someone's hand through it, two more just dropped from urgent to expectant.
Personally, if I am going to die, just loving tell me and move on to save the next guy.

This. Mass casualty situations are horrific business.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I was going to say, isn't that basically what "triage" is? Assess, treat in order of necessity and those who are treatable, make comfortable those who can't be saved, then take care of minor boo boos

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

Orcas and dolphins like to play and carry out complex tasks that involve teamwork, some of it whimsical and some of it horrific, and they don't really seem to care either way. It's apparently common for them to kill lone sharks and leave the body. There are stories of dolphins and orcas protecting rafts and swimmers from sharks or carrying sailors back to their boats or the shore when they've gone overboard. Stories like this make me wonder if there are an equal number of incidents with sailors gone overboard and eaten as a snack, or rafts deliberately sunk in a spirit of fun and cooperation by one of the few species on this planet that approach sapience. Because of course in those cases, there would be nobody left to tell the story.

That's the benevolent dolphin hypothesis:

http://jeffweintraub.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/survivorship-bias-and-sampling-error.html?m=1

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Also in disturbing cetacean news, check out this bizarre as gently caress 1960s experiment to teach dolphins to speak English:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/08/the-dolphin-who-loved-me

It's weird as hell and totally unethical - and that's even before they start injecting the dolphins with LSD.

quote:

"Audio recordings of Lovatt's progress, meticulously archived on quarter-inch tapes at the time, capture the energy that Lovatt brought to the experiment – doggedly documenting Peter's progress with her twice-daily lessons and repeatedly encouraging him to greet her with the phrase 'Hello Margaret'. "'M' was very difficult," she remembers. "My name. Hello 'M'argaret. I worked on the 'M' sound and he eventually rolled over to bubble it through the water. That 'M', he worked on so hard."

quote:

"Man and Dolphin extrapolated Mary Lilly's initial observations of dolphins mimicking human voices, right through to teaching them to speak English and on ultimately to a Cetacean Chair at the United Nations, where all marine mammals would have an enlightening input into world affairs, widening our perspectives on everything from science to history, economics and current affairs.

(artist's impression)

Apparently they would paint their faces black and their lips white so the dolphins could see their mouths better.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 11:33 on Jun 9, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Hold on, so they were giving dolphins LSD and then babbling at them in blackface?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

moller posted:

Hold on, so they were giving dolphins LSD and then babbling at them in blackface?

And jerking them off.

The dolphins later committed suicide.

edit: Dr Lilly's wikipedia article skims over all this, but still manages to make him sound totally bonkers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Lilly

quote:

"Solid State Intelligence

Solid State Intelligence (SSI) is a malevolent entity described by Lilly (see The Scientist). According to Lilly, the network of computation-capable solid state systems (electronics) engineered by humans will eventually develop (or has already developed) into an autonomous life-form. Since the optimal survival conditions for this life-form (low-temperature vacuum) are drastically different from those needed by humans (room temperature aerial atmosphere and adequate water supply), Lilly predicted (or "prophesised", based on his ketamine-induced visions) a dramatic conflict between the two forms of intelligence.[citation needed]

Citation loving NEEDED indeed.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 11:36 on Jun 9, 2014

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I was going to say, isn't that basically what "triage" is? Assess, treat in order of necessity and those who are treatable, make comfortable those who can't be saved, then take care of minor boo boos

Yup. Military and civilian professional first responders are trained for it, but I can see how it would seem cruel and wasteful to those not in the know.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I don't think the issue is so much declaring someone a lost cause as telling them they're a lost cause. If you know they're going to die anyway can't you just load them up on morphine, pat their hand and say "we'll come check on you soon" and leave it at that?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

moller posted:

Errrr....no. Since I actually read the whole article - there were 3 dolphins total. The lady in question chose the young male to work with because he never had any language training before. When Lilly got into LSD, she insisted that her dolphin NOT be given any. It apparently didn't affect the dolphins at all anyway.

I saw no mention of facepaint - at least not from her. She did basically live in isolation with the dolphin 6 days a week (the 7th he was with the other 2 dolphins).

She did um..."relieve" his tensions. But for SCIENCE, tho.

Actually a pretty interesting read. Science experiments from the 40s/50s/60s always fascinate me because it's amazing and often hilarious to read about what people got funding for. I also love the whole seat-of-the-pants approach they took to their work. The girl mentioned in that article had no formal training. She went to that facility because she heard they had dolphins there, and a book she read as a kid about a talking cat made her want to teach an animal to speak. She had enough of a knack for observing/understanding dolphin behavior, they told her to come back whenever. So she did.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I don't think the issue is so much declaring someone a lost cause as telling them they're a lost cause. If you know they're going to die anyway can't you just load them up on morphine, pat their hand and say "we'll come check on you soon" and leave it at that?

I guess what you have to decide is which is more traumatizing?

I personally would rather be told, and made comfortable. At least that way I can mentally prepare - inasmuch as that's actually possible to do.

Being told "we'll be back to check on you in a bit" and then sitting there waiting, feeling worse and worse until your life slips away to me would be far worse. I wouldn't want my last thoughts to be something like "WHY DIDNT THEY COME BACK TO SAVE ME??? I'M DYING BECAUSE THEY NEVER CAME BACK!!!"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

HaB posted:

Errrr....no. Since I actually read the whole article - there were 3 dolphins total. The lady in question chose the young male to work with because he never had any language training before. When Lilly got into LSD, she insisted that her dolphin NOT be given any. It apparently didn't affect the dolphins at all anyway.

I saw no mention of facepaint - at least not from her. She did basically live in isolation with the dolphin 6 days a week (the 7th he was with the other 2 dolphins).

She did um..."relieve" his tensions. But for SCIENCE, tho.

Actually a pretty interesting read. Science experiments from the 40s/50s/60s always fascinate me because it's amazing and often hilarious to read about what people got funding for. I also love the whole seat-of-the-pants approach they took to their work. The girl mentioned in that article had no formal training. She went to that facility because she heard they had dolphins there, and a book she read as a kid about a talking cat made her want to teach an animal to speak. She had enough of a knack for observing/understanding dolphin behavior, they told her to come back whenever. So she did.

The facepaint thing comes from another article I read about the same experiments:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/10860676/The-woman-who-lived-in-sin-with-a-dolphin.html

And it's white greasepaint with black lipstick according to thaat.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Accordion Man posted:

It's pretty disturbing in general that the animals that are closer to sapience tend to be psychopathic assholes, i.e. dolphins and chimps.

This graph probably overlays with the uncanny valley pretty closely

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The facepaint thing comes from another article I read about the same experiments:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/10860676/The-woman-who-lived-in-sin-with-a-dolphin.html

And it's white greasepaint with black lipstick according to thaat.

I'd probably commit suicide too, being forced to spend so much time in isolation with juggaloes.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Just caught up with the thread; sorry for being behind with posting, but the last few pages have been really good!

Scientology is legit terrifying to me, like blatant evil allowed to exist out in the open because it technically (or provably) isn't breaking the law. I'd love a more in depth thread about it.

Also that monkey-frightening robot reminds me of Corky, from Pee-wee's Playhouse.

I don't have a new article to post right now, but I have a request! let's take a page or three and compare notes: list articles you commonly see posted again and again so I can update the OP to help new posters from inadvertently retreading old ground. Examples include "strange sounds" such as the "Bloop", or any of dozens of serial killers that see a lot of time here, such as HH Holmes or Albert Fish.

Occasionally revisiting a topic is okay, of course, but try to at least add some new info or something instead of relinking the original article. These threads get big, so bringing up Holmes' murder castle with the built in crematorium and such is a lot more interesting than hearing just the basics about that sick gently caress (who was entombed under concrete because he didn't want his brain studied!)

Lastly, if you feel the need to call out a derail, do the thread a solid and post a link to a scary or unnerving article with it. It is helpful!

As an aside, can an OP change the thread name, or is that strictly up to a mod or admin's whims?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

A Pinball Wizard posted:

This is what I meant. I understand the need for triage.

I guess HaB is right though in that it's sort of a toss-up which is worse. Personally I would rather not be told. Send me off in a haze of morphine bliss and tell me you'll be back in a few.

Hummingbirds has a new favorite as of 16:44 on Jun 9, 2014

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Withdrawal Plans posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse

A real bad engineering decision killed 114 people in Kansas City in 1981.

In terms of engineering disasters, this one always gets me. How in the hell did someone not catch the design flaw of having the fourth floor walkway support its own weight and the weight of the second floor walkway? And using two C beams welded together as box beams!? I found this show on YouTube. It goes into depth the what happened and the investigation into it. It's a neat, if gruesome and unsettling, series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZN-FWrdDrc

volts5000 has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Jun 9, 2014

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

MissEchelon posted:

For content, here's a perennial favourite: Albert Fish. Cannibal and general shitheel. Article includes an excerpt from that dreadful letter he sent the mother of the child he ate.

Speaking of cannibals, here's a particular one that especially makes my blood boil: Issei Sagawa

Basically this dude kills and eats a Dutch girl, gets away with only 2 years of detainment because his dad is rich and is now a free man. Hell, the guy is even a minor celebrity and has made money off book deals and films about his life.

Edit: Apparently since his parents died, he's been in and out of welfare because he can't get a job because no one rightly wants to hire a cannibal.

Neo_Crimson has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Jun 9, 2014

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

Neo_Crimson posted:

Speaking of cannibals, here's a particular one that especially makes my blood boil: Issei Sagawa

Basically this dude kills and eats a Dutch girl, gets away with only 2 years of detainment because his dad is rich and is now a free man. Hell, the guy is even a minor celebrity and has made money off book deals and films about his life.

Edit: Apparently since his parents died, he's been in and out of welfare because he can't get a job because no one rightly wants to hire a cannibal.

Its Vice, I know some people despise them, but this is still pretty interesting:
(Its also mentioned on the wikipedia page I see...)
"In 2010, VBS.tv did a short documentary about him, titled VBS Meets: Issei Sagawa"
http://www.vice.com/vice-meets/issei-sagawa-part-1

Rapman the Cook has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Jun 10, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HaB posted:

I guess what you have to decide is which is more traumatizing?

I personally would rather be told, and made comfortable. At least that way I can mentally prepare - inasmuch as that's actually possible to do.

Being told "we'll be back to check on you in a bit" and then sitting there waiting, feeling worse and worse until your life slips away to me would be far worse. I wouldn't want my last thoughts to be something like "WHY DIDNT THEY COME BACK TO SAVE ME??? I'M DYING BECAUSE THEY NEVER CAME BACK!!!"

Yeah, just bring in Liam Neeson to tell me I'm going to die. Or Liam Neeson's voice on tape, whatever.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

bulletsponge13 posted:

But first give me morphine. It's only polite.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Regarding the Hyatt walkway collapse there was a priest on hand who delivered absolution to the dead and dying. I think the priest was Protestant but took Catholic confession (or whatever Catholics do when about to die, I have no idea) from the dying, so patients were given the choice of speaking to him before "being made comfortable". I don't think it was a case of being told that you're dead already, just given an option to speak to a priest and hope for the best.

Personally if some doctor came up to me as I was bleeding out of the stump where my legs used to be and said, "Well it seems some builders round here don't know how science works. Would you like to speak to an imaginary man in the sky or just go straight for the morphine?" then they can motherfucking load me up.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

duckmaster posted:

Personally if some doctor came up to me as I was bleeding out of the stump where my legs used to be and said, "Well it seems some builders round here don't know how science works. Would you like to speak to an imaginary man in the sky or just go straight for the morphine?" then they can motherfucking load me up.

So edgy :allears:

The Hyatt collapse has been studied pretty extensively, first I heard of it was in a book about safety management, or management to prevent accidents or... Something like that anyway, a few years ago. Basically what happened was the walkways were designed one way, the contractor went "Uh, we'd save a shitton of money by changing this one little thing, no big deal", the engineer went "Oh yeah ok, not a big change, here's a stamp", and it turned out the "small change" made a big difference.

I mean, if I'd been a contractor working on the project, splitting the support rod would have been the best idea ever. :pseudo:

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
I didn't mean to be edgy, I just wouldn't want those horrible few seconds between being told I'm going to die and being comatose on morphine :(

But people have their beliefs and if that makes them a bit more comfortable then more power to them. I suppose it would be a good chance to pass a message onto my family so maybe I would want to speak to the priest. Then of course there's Pascals Wager, so yeh give me my absolution and I'll try to justify my life of sin and debauchery when I get up there and meet the big man.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I've always been creeped out by drugs like Midazolam. It and a few other drugs induce anterograde amnesia. Let's say you're in a car accident. Your leg is horribly broken and the medic can't anesthetize you. He can give you one of these drugs, set the bone causing tremendous pain, and in ten minutes you'll have forgotten everything. That might be a good thing, but if you were a drunk driver who killed a kid in your wreck, would it help you reform to erase that moment from your life?

Different scenario: Cop beats the crap out of you to get a confession to a crime you didn't commit. He administers the medication so you forget who he is, or even that you confessed under duress. As you're rotting away in jail, you have no idea why you are there.

Use of these drugs is a big medical ethics question. "We need to inject scorpion venom into you because it's the only thing that will save you. But we'll give you a shot that will erase the memory forever." Ok... "I accidentally chopped your dick off during a mole removal, but you'll wake up in the shower holding a razor so it looks like you did it yourself."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

benito posted:

I've always been creeped out by drugs like Midazolam. It and a few other drugs induce anterograde amnesia. Let's say you're in a car accident. Your leg is horribly broken and the medic can't anesthetize you. He can give you one of these drugs, set the bone causing tremendous pain, and in ten minutes you'll have forgotten everything. That might be a good thing, but if you were a drunk driver who killed a kid in your wreck, would it help you reform to erase that moment from your life?

Different scenario: Cop beats the crap out of you to get a confession to a crime you didn't commit. He administers the medication so you forget who he is, or even that you confessed under duress. As you're rotting away in jail, you have no idea why you are there.

Use of these drugs is a big medical ethics question. "We need to inject scorpion venom into you because it's the only thing that will save you. But we'll give you a shot that will erase the memory forever." Ok... "I accidentally chopped your dick off during a mole removal, but you'll wake up in the shower holding a razor so it looks like you did it yourself."

It's sometimes used as a sedative too, so who knows how many malpractice suits have been averted simply because the memory vanishes. Still, if the anesthetist hosed up and I woke up in the middle of surgery, I'd sure want to forget that. The other way to put it is: who knows how many life-destroying traumas have been erased?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Jack Gladney posted:

It's sometimes used as a sedative too, so who knows how many malpractice suits have been averted simply because the memory vanishes. Still, if the anesthetist hosed up and I woke up in the middle of surgery, I'd sure want to forget that. The other way to put it is: who knows how many life-destroying traumas have been erased?

I hear you, and if I woke up in the middle of a necessary leg amputation I'd probably scream for the "forget it" drug. It's more an issue of consent and liability that creeps me out. The kind of situation where you wake up at a murder scene and you're the one holding the knife and have no memory of the past half hour while there's a fresh corpse at your feet. When I've heard commentary from medics and police the statement is usually, "Ah, we don't want him to remember this, it's gonna hurt." Big difference between something that numbs the pain and something that erases the experience.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Isn't it a massive philosophical question as well? Sort of like if a tree falls in a forest and nobodys there, does it make a sound? If I experience terrible pain but don't remember it, did I experience that pain? I had that pain and experienced it but I don't have an experience of that pain so I didn't have it..

Maybe I've been given that drug before :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

duckmaster posted:

I didn't mean to be edgy, I just wouldn't want those horrible few seconds between being told I'm going to die and being comatose on morphine :(

But people have their beliefs and if that makes them a bit more comfortable then more power to them. I suppose it would be a good chance to pass a message onto my family so maybe I would want to speak to the priest. Then of course there's Pascals Wager, so yeh give me my absolution and I'll try to justify my life of sin and debauchery when I get up there and meet the big man.

drat dude, no one gives a gently caress about your pathetic atheist screed. How did you even get to this point?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)