Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Abhorrence posted:

What artifact are you sacrificing to Shrapnel Blast?

One of the 4 1/1 defenders you start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think we've established without question that Conspiracies would break Vintage / Legacy.

Pinwiz11 posted:

I still stand by taking Stifle over it when I had the choice. :colbert:

What are you even Stifling in Conspiracy draft that's worth it?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

I think we've established without question that Conspiracies would break Vintage / Legacy.

Scourge of the Throne?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Entropic posted:

Your entry fee for the next two drafts.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

kizudarake posted:

Your entry fee for the next two drafts.
Most people don't get to draft for eight bucks, though I agree I'd probably just take the stifle. Who cares, casual format, all the rares in my pile.

That art is sweet.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I didn't get to watch the SCG Legacy yesterday. Did Dan Francisco show up at all in any decks?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

Multiples, anyway. I'm curious if it is still true with Conspiracies limited to 1-of. Hopefully the cube brewmasters will keep us appraised.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Most of the conspiracies are as good as most of the Power 9, so yes even as 1-ofs they'd break any constructed format.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Archenteron posted:

I didn't get to watch the SCG Legacy yesterday. Did Dan Francisco show up at all in any decks?

Couldn't tell you, but my Shardless Agent got stolen by a Tezzeret player's Dirk Figgler at an IQ on Saturday. It was annoying.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

whydirt posted:

Most of the conspiracies are as good as most of the Power 9, so yes even as 1-ofs they'd break any constructed format.

It's not quite this, it's that the conspiracies are guaranteed to appear. A Chancellor of the Forge or Simian Spirit Guide that is absolutely guaranteed to be in your opening hand (as an eighth card) is staggeringly good, and so is a guaranteed Serum Powder that lets you choose between two hands.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

UberJew posted:

Multiples, anyway. I'm curious if it is still true with Conspiracies limited to 1-of. Hopefully the cube brewmasters will keep us appraised.

Imagine a 1-mana 3/3 creature with Haste and "[Tap]: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool" that when it enters the battlefield from your hand also puts three copies of itself from your library into play tapped.

That's what 1-of conspiracies do to a humble Grizzly Bears.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 10, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Imagine a 1-mana 3/3 creature with Haste and "[Tap]: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool" that when it enters the battlefield from your hand also puts three copies of itself from your library into play tapped.

That's what 1-of conspiracies do to a humble Grizzly Bears.

If you stack triggers correctly, you can get 2 Phyrexian Dreadnoughts into play for free. That's not even the most powerful thing you can do with conspiracies. The conspiracies are outright too good for constructed.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Entropic posted:

Phage's trigger when you cheat her into play with Victimize or Extract from Darkness.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

If you stack triggers correctly, you can get 2 Phyrexian Dreadnoughts into play for free. That's not even the most powerful thing you can do with conspiracies. The conspiracies are outright too good for constructed.

How are you doing this without somehow giving them flash?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

BXCX posted:

Dank Flamingo

Drink Faygo, the greatest beverage in the multiverse.

Dark Satan, the greatest evil overlord in the multiverse.

Dack Maiden, with the greatest girdle in the multiverse.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sarcastro posted:

Donald Faison.

Dink Smallwood.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

If Marshall Sutcliffe hasn't been asked to sign a Dack yet, there's something horribly wrong with the multiverse.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Conspiracy cards are fun, but I have to wonder if people are just going to shove them into standard cubes or attempt to make multiplayer cubes. I've been thinking about building a cube around multiplayer interactions but I'm not as familiar with a lot of the modern-ish cards that would be fun in that environment. I'm sure grabbing random cards from the various Commander decks works fine, as does several of the cards in Conspiracy.

(still gonna put Upheaval in it though :getin: )

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Conspiracy cards are fun, but I have to wonder if people are just going to shove them into standard cubes or attempt to make multiplayer cubes. I've been thinking about building a cube around multiplayer interactions but I'm not as familiar with a lot of the modern-ish cards that would be fun in that environment. I'm sure grabbing random cards from the various Commander decks works fine, as does several of the cards in Conspiracy.

(still gonna put Upheaval in it though :getin: )

I have a friend who just turned his Conspiracy box into a Cube, and I'm starting to brainstorm ideas for a multiplayer cube.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Sarcastro posted:

Donald Faison.

ugh...I'm terrible at this...

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Dink Smallwood.

Dave Foley

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dr. Stab posted:

How are you doing this without somehow giving them flash?

Oops, I was wrong, sorry. Needs a Leyline of Anticipation to work.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

So I just checked the prices of a few T2 cards I have lying around (haven't been able to play much in recent months), and wow, Boros Reckoner and Domri Rade have cratered. Is it even worth getting rid of them at the current prices or just hold them long term?

Also I thought both saw a little play in Modern but I guess I was wrong.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

Zero_Grade posted:

So I just checked the prices of a few T2 cards I have lying around (haven't been able to play much in recent months), and wow, Boros Reckoner and Domri Rade have cratered. Is it even worth getting rid of them at the current prices or just hold them long term?

I'd say you're boned. Domri Rade maybe (super maybe) might appreciate because of Modern in some crazy hypothetical future, but Boros Reckoner sucks too bad for Modern for sure.

That said Domri is a planeswalker and like 5 years down the line some EDH player is gonna want him for his pile o' jank so you'll probably be fine at some point. Maybe even the same for Boros Reckoner but don't hold your breath.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
And remember everyone is running 40-card decks in this idiot format.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Ahahaha

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Man I love "black Scrubs"...

Brownhat posted:

I have a friend who just turned his Conspiracy box into a Cube, and I'm starting to brainstorm ideas for a multiplayer cube.

I picked up a box specifically to do this. I am new to Cube, and needed a decent jumping off point. I will be opening my box this weekend as a draft with friends then collect the cards to make a Cube.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

And remember everyone is running 40-card decks in this idiot format.

40 card decks where you see 35 of them in your opening hand.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dr. Stab posted:

40 card decks where you see 35 of them in your opening hand.

Right. Well, that's Conspiracy Vintage sorted. Maybe next we can discuss deckbuilding strategy for a format where everyone starts the game with 20 Lotus Petals and a Leyline of Anticipation.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Zero_Grade posted:

Planeswalkers are usually decent long term holds due to casual and EDH appeal. I think walker Xenagos is a good pickup now if you're looking to buy this kind of thing, plus he has the potential to peak within the next year if there's a deck for him in Khans Standard.

I don't see Boros Reckoner doing anything outside of a resurgence in Standard before rotation, and I'm not in a position to say how likely that is.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So what do you guys think of the M15 spoilers so far? http://mythicspoiler.com/m15/

I think I'm too jaded, because the most interesting cards to me are Ulcerate and Quickling. Phytotitan is pretty cool, though. Genesis Hydra seems like a pretty neat EDH card/top end in a ramp deck as well.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

Right. Well, that's Conspiracy Vintage sorted. Maybe next we can discuss deckbuilding strategy for a format where everyone starts the game with 20 Lotus Petals and a Leyline of Anticipation.

Not nearly as broken as conspiracy vintage, although probably more fun.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Elyv posted:

So what do you guys think of the M15 spoilers so far? http://mythicspoiler.com/m15/

I think I'm too jaded, because the most interesting cards to me are Ulcerate and Quickling. Phytotitan is pretty cool, though. Genesis Hydra seems like a pretty neat EDH card/top end in a ramp deck as well.

Waste Not is pretty insane for a 2 drop enchantment. Pretty much removes the opportunity cost for playing discard spells.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Aisar posted:

I'd say you're boned. Domri Rade maybe (super maybe) might appreciate because of Modern in some crazy hypothetical future, but Boros Reckoner sucks too bad for Modern for sure.

That said Domri is a planeswalker and like 5 years down the line some EDH player is gonna want him for his pile o' jank so you'll probably be fine at some point. Maybe even the same for Boros Reckoner but don't hold your breath.
Yeah, about what I figured. Thought they might have seen fringe play here and there.

It's not a big deal in either case, I only have a couple of each. Probably gonna swap them for various temples and see where that takes me.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

A Moose posted:

Waste Not is pretty insane for a 2 drop enchantment. Pretty much removes the opportunity cost for playing discard spells.
Every Thoughtseize is a good thought seize!

That's not named Loxodon Smiter.

Goes right in the Nekusar deck :getin:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 10, 2014

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

A Moose posted:

Eh, you have to invest a card and two mana into that. I don't think Waste Not gives you enough value until you make them discard at least three cards, and even then if some of them are lands you might not have things to do with the free mana. The card seems extremely safe to me.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Depends on if the format has 1-mana discard spells, or some kind of Rat-type creatures. I'm not saying it makes Mind Rot good or anything, but if there is even a tiny discard sub-theme or anything in standard at the same time as it, its going to be good.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

A Moose posted:

Depends on if the format has 1-mana discard spells, or some kind of Rat-type creatures. I'm not saying it makes Mind Rot good or anything, but if there is even a tiny discard sub-theme or anything in standard at the same time as it, its going to be good.

I eagerly await the hilarious RB midrange deck running Thoughtseize, Waste Not, and Rakdos' Return that'll show up in week one M15 stanard.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I eagerly await the hilarious RB midrange deck running Thoughtseize, Waste Not, and Rakdos' Return that'll show up in week one M15 stanard.

And then by week two they'll realize the deck is better without Waste Not, because if you're successfully Rakdos's Returning for any significant quantity you're probably winning anyway.

What I actually want to do with Waste Not is run it in a multiplayer game with Sire of Insanity :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

This core set looks a lot better than M13-14 looked so far, so that's certainly positive in my book. There are a few cards I'm interested in, in particular that 2 mana blue enchantment that rewards for attacking with 2 or more (though it's honestly probably a good deal worse than Bident). I'm especially interested in the rest of the make-a-cards, though the cynical side of me is guessing at least half will be useless EDH garbage.

• Locked thread