Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

skipThings posted:

I'm trying to somehow reform the Norse faith, starting with Ivar the Boneless and killing of my sons via sending them to war with tiny regiments or outright spy missions. As Ivar died, i only had my heir and another son left, my heir only inherited my capital via gavelkind, while his brother, who the tooltyp said would only get Argyll, got also every other of the eight provinces I had, what gives ?

Your heir got a higher-level title, so the brother gets most of the lower-level titles, except for the capital which is guaranteed to your heir. There's a reason people hate Gavelkind. The character tooltip doesn't list every single county someone's in line to inherit, you've gotta check the county titles themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Did you read the entire tooltip? If they are going to inherit more than one title, the top part will say "heir to kingdom of dickhelm" and if you hold your mouse over it for a sec it can list all the other stuff under the chars current titles.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Main Paineframe posted:

Your heir got a higher-level title, so the brother gets most of the lower-level titles, except for the capital which is guaranteed to your heir. There's a reason people hate Gavelkind. The character tooltip doesn't list every single county someone's in line to inherit, you've gotta check the county titles themselves.

Does that mean I need to create the County ( ? ) of Lothian or whatever so i can give those titles to my son and then he will inherit them ? I can play most of the game from my 300 hours of EU4 but those titles and inheritance shenanigans make my head spin.

Also, did I read that right? I only need 3 holy sites under my direct control to get out of gavelkind, not all five ?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
An easy way out of gavelkind as a norse playing around in Britain, is to take a county in wales or ireland and switch your culture. It requires the Rajas dlc though.

But that will let you choose Tanistry succession and still remain Norse religion for all your raiding purposes.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

skipThings posted:

Does that mean I need to create the County ( ? ) of Lothian or whatever so i can give those titles to my son and then he will inherit them ? I can play most of the game from my 300 hours of EU4 but those titles and inheritance shenanigans make my head spin.

Also, did I read that right? I only need 3 holy sites under my direct control to get out of gavelkind, not all five ?

If you have three holy sites plus 50% moral authority you can reform the Norse faith...plus a bunch of piety. They don't have to be directly under your control, obviously.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

skipThings posted:

No. If you have a duchy and a bunch of counties and two sons, your heir will get the duchy and the capital, and maybe another county or two, and the second son will get all the rest of the counties and be a vassal of the first son. Not ideal, but acceptable. On the other hand, if you have two duchies, then the counties will be split more evenly, but the second son will be independent, since he'll get the second duchy and a duke can't be a vassal to another duke.

Until you can get rid of Gavelkind, you'll just have to make sure to only have one of whatever title type is your highest (if you're a duke, only have one duchy; if you're a king, have as many duchies as you want but only one kingdom), and either get used to losing most of your demense counties every succession or get used to murdering extra sons.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this

Tsyni posted:

If you have three holy sites plus 50% moral authority you can reform the Norse faith...plus a bunch of piety. They don't have to be directly under your control, obviously.

So, just from destroying everyone on the Isles I should be able to get enought Piety to reform, as three of the holy Sites are under the control of the Norse from the beginning, just not my control.

Also thanks Paineframe, that was very helpful, I got it now.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Gavelkind isn't that hard to work around as Norse, since you should be conquering lots. Focus on getting a kingdom title, and give each son (other than your heir) a duchy. Then everything you have will go to the heir when you die. That way your main demense isn't constantly split up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

skipThings posted:

So, just from destroying everyone on the Isles I should be able to get enought Piety to reform, as three of the holy Sites are under the control of the Norse from the beginning, just not my control.

Note that you need to control three holy sites to reform the faith, it's not enough if they are held by other Norse rulers.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

skipThings posted:

Sorry if I wasn't clearer, but when I said not your direct control I meant it could belong to a vassal, not just a random Norse ruler, so it's still a bit tricky to get three.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
Ok, got it, thanks everyone for claryfying that. I guess Ivar is not really a prime candidate for reforming the faith then and as I know the AI they certainly won't be trying to do it.

Guess I got to look at Scandinavians who stayed home, thanks a whole lot again for all the tips and explanations everyone.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Tsyni posted:

Gavelkind isn't that hard to work around as Norse, since you should be conquering lots. Focus on getting a kingdom title, and give each son (other than your heir) a duchy. Then everything you have will go to the heir when you die. That way your main demense isn't constantly split up.

Alternatively, make like Rurik and have a grand ol' succession war every time daddy dies.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Tomn posted:

Alternatively, make like Rurik and have a grand ol' succession war every time daddy dies.

Or make like a CK2 player and assassinate all but one of your sons.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I like to give the half of my titles with the best of my holdings to the second son, and then kill the first one. Seems to avoid succession wars.

So has anyone made a mod with portage mechanics? Like, two weeks per ship to transfer a fleet across one county of land?

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

skipThings posted:

Ok, got it, thanks everyone for claryfying that. I guess Ivar is not really a prime candidate for reforming the faith then and as I know the AI they certainly won't be trying to do it.

Guess I got to look at Scandinavians who stayed home, thanks a whole lot again for all the tips and explanations everyone.

I'm in the middle of an Empire of Brittania game where I started as Haestein and left Brittany to take over Ireland followed by the rest of the isles. While I wasn't looking, Sweden took over three holy sites and all of my county conquests gave them the religion points or whatever it's called they needed to reform the faith. Which they did, before my starting dude died. He is in his 40s at the start. Was pretty surprising but welcome!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

MrBling posted:

I've noticed that the pope's income drops drastically when you have him as a vassal. Which is a bit sad really, since I liked being able to ask for 4000 gold for 100 piety as Genoa.

His income drops because everyone is paying you.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

MrBling posted:

Something something, overpowered merchant republics.

That's from the 1066 start and while I'm going to form the empire of Italia, and probably take Aquitaine just have a landbridge, there really isn't that much left to do.

I figure I will go get some achievements, like the one where you have to hold Rome, Jerusalem, Mecca and Medina as a Christian. And the one for being a christian bordering miaphysite Abyssinia.

Did you ever request an invasion through the Pope? I have a chance to invade France in a bit, just waiting on like 80 more Piety, and I am the Merchant Republic of Brittany and Normandy™ under the glorious leader King something of England.

I can't make a kindgom without breaking off from England first, but if I invade France and win, will I auto-lose the game due to taking a feudal kingdom? Or will I break off and become Serene Doge? I don't want to gently caress this save file up with an instant Game Over :ohdear:.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

skipThings posted:

Oh, and if you want to form the empire of scandinavia, it can be easier to take finland before you reform. Once you reform you'll take extra attrition non-norse pagan lands. After you reform the only way to avoid that attrition is to get the military organization tech up to 4.

As for gavelkind, if you don't let your non-heir sons marry then you'll be their heir. That usually gives you a couple years after you inherit to try to kill them off before they breed their own heirs.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

skipThings posted:

Nah Ivar's perfect, with a little drive and ambition you can easily become Emperor of Britain in his or his children's lifetimes, and all you need to do is save up a little money, get a good chancellor and park him in each of the three holy sites until you get a fabricated claim. Pay the bill for the claim, then swoop in to grab the county, which should be trivial with an Empire's worth of levies and retinues. Watch out also for the owner of Zeeland rebelling against his liege, that can be a quick snipe of the fourth site and make your job easier.

Also, if you can get yourself crowned Emperor before the future kings of Denmark Norway and Sweden manage to establish their kingdoms (and you do need to be relentlessly fast to do this, so careful planning is required), as long as you have a border they will accept vassalisation day 1 of your coronation, each of which will in turn give you a border with the next petty king until you have the whole of Scandinavia vassalised. At which point you can reform the religion trivially. Tricky to do though, and if you're the Fylkir of a combined British-Scandinavian empire you have basically reached unstoppable superbastard within a few decades of game start so I wouldn't count on the next few centuries holding much challenge.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I did a Hvitserk Whiteshirt start and managed to form Britannia stage early in the 1000s and managed to keep all the King titles within the dynasty. I'd captured Zeeland (after a couple of false starts), and captured Denmark pretty quickly for the holy site there. I was wondering what to do about getting a third when the King of Skotland decided to invade Norway and succeeded, so bam, reformation time.

Got rid of gavelkind for elective, so now it's happy times passing to the best candidates (who are all Hvitserk), kicking the Catholics out of northern Europe, with the various kings doing most of the work. I've been trying a strategy of alternating between limited and medium crown authority so every now and again the kings can sort out their differences before I get them to concentrate on busting the heads of infidels again. I'm not sure this is a wise strategy but it's funny seeing what alliances form within the realm.

The Pope launched one crusade attempt for Lotharinga which I slapped down before taking a white peace, Catholic authority is down to about 45%, and they've got the Shia to deal with as well.

Not so happy is that the King of England has most of the English territories (natch) and is making noises about independence, and making with the stabby is an issue because he is still (distant) family.

The obvious solution is to try and make him the successor, but for the longest time everyone (including myself) was backing golden boy, the King of Bretanthingy. Except somewhere along the way he did make with the stabby against the family so he's not so ideal now. I'm old, England is older, and Bretanthingy is about the same age.

(Earlier on I also had a kickarse genius Queen of Wales who had all stats in the high teens plus 26 learning. Alas, she was in her 50s when the empire passed to her, although she did a lot as Wales, but it was a good 10 years or so with her in control.)

Anyway I have a nice long BRITANNIA across the north of the mainland all the way across to Pomerania, except for a bit which is Danish (I foolishly let them go after reforming because I thought I didn't need to hold them any more). The Teutonic Knights are a bit of an issue because they've been handed a few counties around Pomerania and those assholes always turn up when there's a fight, so once the situation with the succession is sorted out I'll probably try to deal with them.

Oh, and I've got the Skraelings turned on too (I held out against buying the DLC until the sale last week but decided they'd be "fun" just for once), so they're going to invade at some point.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
To answer my own question, I fired up a non-Ironman Republic of Brittany game, then invaded France both while independent and under the yoke of an English king. Both times I successfully usurped the kingdom and it automatically formed the Serene Dogeship without giving me a game over, so success!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So in my current norse game, I ended up with a sayyid concubine. Forgot that doesnt ensure my kid is also a norse sayyid. So how would I go about that? Capture a sayyid male, matrilineally marry him to one of my daughters?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Can Norse create Merchant Republics?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Bold Robot posted:

Anyone can!

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

SynthOrange posted:

So in my current norse game, I ended up with a sayyid concubine. Forgot that doesnt ensure my kid is also a norse sayyid. So how would I go about that? Capture a sayyid male, matrilineally marry him to one of my daughters?

Capture an underage Sayyid boy, tutor him with someone in your realm (Ideally someone Diligent and/or Zealous to maximize the chances of him converting, since Muslims can't matrimarry. For the same reason, you want to get them as close to 6 as you can), release him, invite him back to court, then matrimarry. And then facepalm and curse when the dumbass produces a single Sayyid daughter and then catches some illness a year later, dies like a dumbass, and kicks you back to square one after you spent a couple decades getting everything in place to have a Sayyid Fylkirate.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bold Robot posted:

It's actually hilarious how much money a Norse republic can generate. For shits and giggles start in Venice as Norse. Burn Italy for fun and profit!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bold Robot posted:

Yup, but they can't create trading posts before they reach level 1 Trading Practices, which can take some time with the abysmal tech levels in Scandinavia at the beginning.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Yup, but they can't create trading posts before they reach level 1 Trading Practices, which can take some time with the abysmal tech levels in Scandinavia at the beginning.

But you make so much money from your Palace that it's not really an issue. They do give a ton of gold though, so it's certainly something you want to focus on of course.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do cultures get culture specific merchant republic clothing or does everyone pretend they're venitians?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Been doing some Apulia->Sicily lately, is that Sicilian culture mod still being maintained? Because I'm not really crazy about the idea of either being permanently Norman in the south of Italy, or of turning the south of Italy Norman.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SynthOrange posted:

Do cultures get culture specific merchant republic clothing or does everyone pretend they're venitians?

All republics rock that venetian swag. Fancy hats for all!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Regarding the Merchant clothes: I would pay a "Unit Pack" / "Faces pack" DLC price for just a massive expansion of the types of clothing and costumes available. Culture-specific merchant republic clothes, new noble clothes, the works. I'd love that!

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

I made a vassal republic as Zoroastrian Persia the other day, and they definitely dress like Venetians.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

My norse merchant republic dudes just wear the same headband as everyone else, granted I don't own the republic dlc so that might be it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

Which is why West African merchant republics are particularly funny, especially a few generations into the diversity awareness poster period in your court. I once had a ruler who was a white as snow norseman with tribal facepaint and fine venetian clothes.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I'm sure this is a stupid question but I just started playing CKII again after a few years so bear with me:

I'm playing as King of Ireland after unifying the island under my rule. Because the game kept saying I could create duchies I figured why the hell not created all of them. The titles apparently went to me and now everybody hates me because I have too many duchies under my rule. How the hell do I get rid of them, and was it a good idea to create them in the first place if I was already King? Because my King is Anglo-Saxon (after a botched attempt to conquer the British Isles by marriage) all the Irish hate me anyways, and the last thing my "loyal" subjects need is another excuse to invite me to a manure filled inn.

Edit:

On the plus side, my Court Chaplain is spending his time productively using his persuasive powers to convince himself not to hate me:

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 10, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Grant the duchy titles to your most loyal vassals, but make sure that they dont actually hold most of the counties in the title so it keeps them busy scheming against each other, rather than you.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

GamingHyena posted:

I'm sure this is a stupid question but I just started playing CKII again after a few years so bear with me:

I'm playing as King of Ireland after unifying the island under my rule. Because the game kept saying I could create duchies I figured why the hell not created all of them. The titles apparently went to me and now everybody hates me because I have too many duchies under my rule. How the hell do I get rid of them, and was it a good idea to create them in the first place if I was already King? Because my King is Anglo-Saxon (after a botched attempt to conquer the British Isles by marriage) all the Irish hate me anyways, and the last thing my "loyal" subjects need is another excuse to invite me to a manure filled inn.

You can grant any title other than your primary title to vassals in the diplomacy screen. You can hold two duchy titles without accruing the too many duchies relationship malus, so so you should still be by far the biggest kid on the block in Ireland. As for whether it is a good idea, duchies are kind of a double edged sword. Obviously a powerful duke can be a huge pain in the rear end, but they make it easier to raise your levees [though that bonus is a little muted given the small size of Ireland] and give you a bonus to tech point generation if I recall correctly. Personally, I hold off on creating duchies until it becomes an administrative headache to handle individual counties, and even then I generally only create a few at a time. There is sadly little upside to creating every duchy you can other than those sweet sweet de jure land claims, but it is not back breaking error. If you really don't like your dukes, you can always wait for a righteous imprisonment opportunity, strip them of their titles, and then destroy the titles themselves [which you can do in the title screen, opened by clicking on the shield associated with a title]. This is kind of a nuclear option, and I think destroying titles is usually more trouble than it's worth, but it's definitely something you can consider.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Been playing Old Gods ever since that last sale, and drat is it a hoot. Tried my hand at playing independent chiefs up in the north, then discovered Dyre the stranger down in Konungardr, and must admit it's nice playing as 22 year old genius with 500 gold in the bank, 1500 man event army, and 30 free ships at start. Plus, I want to gently caress with the Byzantines a little bit.

So 8 years later, almost everything along the Volga is mine, but I don't know how to build shipyards. I have Shipbuilding Tech level 1 now, but none of my cities/castles/temples show the option to build shipyards. I've never been that knowledgeable about building in CK2 anyway, but could someone shine a light here? (I captured Dnieper province, so I have a port, I just want to build more).

Also, is there anyway to encourage my holdings to turn into Norse culture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheLoquid posted:

You can grant any title other than your primary title to vassals in the diplomacy screen. You can hold two duchy titles without accruing the too many duchies relationship malus, so so you should still be by far the biggest kid on the block in Ireland. As for whether it is a good idea, duchies are kind of a double edged sword. Obviously a powerful duke can be a huge pain in the rear end, but they make it easier to raise your levees [though that bonus is a little muted given the small size of Ireland] and give you a bonus to tech point generation if I recall correctly. Personally, I hold off on creating duchies until it becomes an administrative headache to handle individual counties, and even then I generally only create a few at a time. There is sadly little upside to creating every duchy you can other than those sweet sweet de jure land claims, but it is not back breaking error. If you really don't like your dukes, you can always wait for a righteous imprisonment opportunity, strip them of their titles, and then destroy the titles themselves [which you can do in the title screen, opened by clicking on the shield associated with a title]. This is kind of a nuclear option, and I think destroying titles is usually more trouble than it's worth, but it's definitely something you can consider.

Only duchies generate tech points at all. So if you don't let your vassals form duchies, then your entire realm outside your capital will be a backward shithole. Eventually this could affect you since with lousy infrastructure tech they won't be able to build improvements that make their tax base or levies larger. Or if you happen to lose your capital, wherever you put your new capital will suck.

• Locked thread