Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

It definitely can be fixed, though it is probably bugged in some way in that it seems to take more than a day. Or at least for me, the first few (in-game) days of Lifeline had no repair, before it seems to start working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mister Bates posted:

I literally never had a vehicle repair while playing through Lifeline, I actually assumed it was intentional to force you to take better care of your vehicles. It could be a bug, though - god knows it wouldn't be the first time an incredibly obvious glitch made it to the release version.

They actually fixed both the vehicle repair bug and the sickness bug for Lifeline in the last patch. I was pleasantly surprised to see my last few military trucks repaired after they had taken a beating and were barely usable anymore.

If I knew what was changed I could look through the Breakdown files to see if it was there or an issue with the mod. At this point I don't have any reason to believe it's the mod though. Though perhaps the fix can be done from the edited files. Maybe i'll try and see if there's some way to get a release day version of Lifeline again. Though I haven't a clue how to do that since I picked it up through Steam.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I really enjoyed my time with Lifeline, because I loving love this game, but in retrospect it seems super uninspired. When it first began and I whipped out that amazing map, I was ecstatic, but that kind of wore off when I realized you only have access to about a third of it. And most of that is highways. The map design just doesn't seem very interesting. Sasquatch, although he valiantly died protecting Black Friday on my last wave of extraction, had cool missions and I'd love to see random radio missions for this in Breakdown. Even if he did get stuck in a radio tower fence that one time and it took over 15 minutes to figure out how to free him.

I was also sad to see that Lifeline changes like reduced influence cost for hiring buddies, new structures, etc. weren't rolled into Breakdown. Would changing that be possible via modding?

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Kasonic posted:

I really enjoyed my time with Lifeline, because I loving love this game, but in retrospect it seems super uninspired. When it first began and I whipped out that amazing map, I was ecstatic, but that kind of wore off when I realized you only have access to about a third of it. And most of that is highways. The map design just doesn't seem very interesting. Sasquatch, although he valiantly died protecting Black Friday on my last wave of extraction, had cool missions and I'd love to see random radio missions for this in Breakdown. Even if he did get stuck in a radio tower fence that one time and it took over 15 minutes to figure out how to free him.

I was also sad to see that Lifeline changes like reduced influence cost for hiring buddies, new structures, etc. weren't rolled into Breakdown. Would changing that be possible via modding?

QMJS already reduces the cost of hiring a buddy (100->25) and adds new structures/techs. There is a reason it's the #1 file on the state of decay nexus right now, though Archonex's work will likely completely replace it. I think he said he was including QMJS as well as other popular mods so it'll be popular mod +1.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Does it make sense to board up houses that are not your base or an outpost? Like does it prevent Zs to spawn inside and make the area safer?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

ephex posted:

Does it make sense to board up houses that are not your base or an outpost? Like does it prevent Zs to spawn inside and make the area safer?

Im pretty sure that poo poo despawns once you leave the area.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

FrickenMoron posted:

Im pretty sure that poo poo despawns once you leave the area.

It can be useful if you're getting swarmed and want to funnel zombies into a given area. But otherwise I haven't really seen a reason why you'd want to do it.

The game does despawn zombies (Probably for optimization purposes. The game didn't exactly run that well when it was first released.), though freaks appear to be permanent and seem to be set up so it looks like they wander the area they initially spawn in. So maybe it'd be good if you were trying to set up an ambush. But even then that'd be tricky since barricading makes a ton of noise.

Edit: I could see someone luring one into a two story house filled with mines and other explosives, with the first floor barricaded so other zombies can't get in to trigger them. Then just jump out a top floor window like you were a character from Resident Evil when the freak goes down to the explosions and you need to run for it.

That'd get you free and clear and take out a troublesome freak. And clear out any nearby houses for looting, given all the noise it would generate. Though that would probably only be worth the time and effort on the highest difficulties, where you'll easily get hosed up if you go head to head with certain freaks and resources start getting really scarce.

That reminds me that I need to test out mines in game and see if they despawn when you move away from them. They could have some neat uses if not.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 10, 2014

Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!
I've been playing the base game for like 13-14 hours now and getting quite bored. The story sections don't follow each other quickly enough, and I have encountered several game sessions where there was absolutely nothing to do for 5-10 minutes (like no missions at all). I guess I could go scavenging, but my supplies are all maxed out already and I've upgraded my base to the maximum. I have 60+ melee weapons and 40+ firearms, I have 4 survivors who all have specializations in several skills. Going out to do a mission when one pops up poses no challenge at all, I haven't gotten anyone killed besides one or two in my first hour or so.
I did however find the first 8-10 hours of gameplay very fun, exploring and scavenging when it was still challenging and actually using stealth while clearing a house. Am I already burnt out on this game or does Breakdown offer a different experience?

Valiant Pudding fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 10, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Valiant Pudding posted:

I've been playing the base game for like 13-14 hours now and getting quite bored. The story sections don't follow each other quickly enough, and I have encountered several game sessions where there was absolutely nothing to do for 5-10 minutes (like no missions at all). I guess I could go scavenging, but my supplies are all maxed out already and I've upgraded my base to the maximum. I have 60+ melee weapons and 40+ firearms, I have 4 survivors who all have specializations in several skills. Going out to do a mission when one pops up poses no challenge at all, I haven't gotten anyone killed besides one or two in my first hour or so.
I did however find the first 8-10 hours of gameplay very fun, exploring and scavenging when it was still challenging and actually using stealth while clearing a house. Am I already burnt out on this game or does Breakdown offer a different experience?

Breakdown is the first few hours of frantically almost dying, just set to repeat. As soon as you get close to being powerful, it resets and you are weak again.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Rookersh posted:

Breakdown is the first few hours of frantically almost dying, just set to repeat. As soon as you get close to being powerful, it resets and you are weak again.

Though it doesn't automatically reset, you can hang around at whatever level you want and move up to the next when you're ready if you want to stockpile whatever.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Archonex posted:

That reminds me that I need to test out mines in game and see if they despawn when you move away from them. They could have some neat uses if not.

I don't think they do, at least not for awhile. I remember throwing mines and flame traps down to cover some holes in my defenses, and then driving around without them despawning.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Are there any recommended mods for this game?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Are there any recommended mods for this game?
I recommend, "Read the last few pages of this thread," although I hear you have to slog through a bit of documentation.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Got this tues night and really got into it last night. Great game! What am I really aiming for? I'm gathering stuff, building up my church... can I move the people eventually? how do I get more people? I've rescued survivors that have come back, but mostly they go back to their own base.

Also I read that the game plays itself while I'm not playing it? Do I miss missions that way?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

redreader posted:

Got this tues night and really got into it last night. Great game! What am I really aiming for? I'm gathering stuff, building up my church... can I move the people eventually? how do I get more people? I've rescued survivors that have come back, but mostly they go back to their own base.

Also I read that the game plays itself while I'm not playing it? Do I miss missions that way?

Aim for: Getting more stuff! Building trust with other people! Killing zombies in hilarious ways!

Moving people: Yep! I won't spoil it much, but if you explore enough you'll find places! One's right near the church!

More people: Make friends with neighbors. As you meet people you'll get mission opportunities with them. Do the missions, they'll gain trust. They gain trust, then they'll join you. Some people are hard-coded not to join you though, they're plot NPCs (wilkersons, lovebirds, you'll probably figure out which those people are reasonably quick).

The game 'plays' itself in the sense that your people will do some stuff, time will pass, and more than likely your resources will drain. It used to be a bit drastic, all your resources running out if you didn't play in a few days, but now it's just a day or so worth of resources drains. You won't really miss missions, not that I'm aware of no.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How does Breakdown handle research? I know it'll collect in this game, and I won't have to build more libraries, but what if I start a new Breakdown campaign with a random guy come Breakdown 5. Will I have to re-research everything?

Also it seems as though medicine/materials are the only resources that matter in later Breakdown levels. You are swimming in food because of the Garden/half the resources you find are food. Ammo and Fuel are a bit scarce, but that just means you can't make as many molotovs, which I never really used much of anyway. But after scouring the entire map, I've found maybe 3-4 bags of medicine. It seems like the smartest plan is to leave it in place, and since you don't really lose medicine over time, instead just focus on bringing it in through Outposts.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Medicine gets consumed by survivors being sick/wounded. But yeah, that is probably the smartest tactic overall.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Does removing resources from outposts affect the decay-rate of said outpost resources? My common strategy is to clean out the preferred building, leaving behind 1 or 2 of the desired resource, establishing the outpost, and finally clearing the joint completely. I assumed the outpost would continue providing me with resources at the same rate as if it had untouched resources within it. Is this not the case?

Unrelated, with characters with no combat stats, do you prefer blunt or edged weapons?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

for melee, no matter what

Always edged

If your character is also a powerhouse you can make a brief argument for heavy, but you want that weight in supplies instead.

Edged allows for 1 shot kill procs. As does powerhouse.

The two of them stack chances. You can bring a Marcus into a horde and with a couple of timing dodges, completely murder the entire pack before you lose all your stamina.

AS far as I'm concerned it's the only rational choice. blunt adds a stun chance, but i'd rather kill over stun.

The only only only downside of edged is lower durability. Which you can manage with proper repairing.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Rookersh posted:

How does Breakdown handle research? I know it'll collect in this game, and I won't have to build more libraries, but what if I start a new Breakdown campaign with a random guy come Breakdown 5. Will I have to re-research everything?

Also it seems as though medicine/materials are the only resources that matter in later Breakdown levels. You are swimming in food because of the Garden/half the resources you find are food. Ammo and Fuel are a bit scarce, but that just means you can't make as many molotovs, which I never really used much of anyway. But after scouring the entire map, I've found maybe 3-4 bags of medicine. It seems like the smartest plan is to leave it in place, and since you don't really lose medicine over time, instead just focus on bringing it in through Outposts.

only need to research everything once. You might still like a library for a passive ammunition source and a buff to the horrifyingly slow wits skill.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Or you could just spec your powerhouse with a heavy weapon, get the sweep ability, and just break the legs off of everything in a single 90 degree attack. :v:

VVVVV yeah but it cost nothing for a powerhouse to do it so he can do it over and over and over and over, etc until everything is dead.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 12, 2014

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Edit because ^^: You dont need powerhouse for that at all though? Waste of the perk really.

Heavy weapons are EXCELLENT with nimble. You can leg cut off whole hordes without running out of stamina. Blade weapons are really good for powerhouses, I agree.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Anyone able to recommend some similar games to this? Its given me an itch for character progression/base building but both those systems are a bit too light to completely satisfy me. Lifeline is decent but without a restart mechanic like breakdown it gets cleared a bit too fast. It feels like its been forever since I've played another good base building/defense game the last one I can remember was one of the Fallout: New Vegas mods.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I think part of why I love SoD is because so it's unique. I can't think of another 'maintain' strategy game like this, where the objective is survival and not some sort of win condition, let alone one that mixes with open-world third-person gameplay and multiple-character progression.

Yeah, the closest thing I can think of is Bethesda mods. Fortnite sounds a lot like State of Decay, but nobody knows when that thing's going to get a release date.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, there is Dead State its a bit more of a traditional RPG but looks to have some good base building. But yeah the best thing would just be the next State of Decay, put some more polish on the engine and just more maps, a better character progression system, and a deeper base building. Will definitely have to try out the Mod compilation Archonex posted, looks like pretty much what I want was just wondering if anyone knew about any similar games.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The other notable zombie survival game - where the emphasis is actually on survival - is Project Zomboid. There's a thread kicking around here someplace but it's basically a zombie survival sim where you'll get totally murdered over and over. The team's been terminally beset by bad luck, but things seem to be going a bit smoother nowadays.

e; PZ doesn't have any win conditions at all. The only objective is surviving as long as you can.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

You're all forgetting Fort Zombie - and for good reason, it's terrible.

State of Decay is pretty much Skyrim compared to that game.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Bruteman posted:

You're all forgetting Fort Zombie - and for good reason, it's terrible.

I think I paid 2.75 for this game and I still feel ripped off years later. It's incredibly bad, and not in a way that makes it endearing. Just an unplayable pile of poo poo.

I Nth the wish for more games like SOD. Maybe even something not zombie based would be nice since I'm pretty tired of the zombie trope at this point but that said SOD2 would still be a day 1 purchase for me.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The problem with Project Zomboid is that it is a directionless exercise in frustrating UI that is never, at any point, actually fun.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I finished the main game of state of decay last night. What now? Is breakout more fun?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

I finished the main game of state of decay last night. What now? Is breakout more fun?

Do you want to better explore the environment and be a dick to zombies forever? If so yes.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Phuzzy posted:

Do you want to better explore the environment and be a dick to zombies forever? If so yes.

I didn't like that when I settled at the truck workshop on the left side of the bottom city on the map, which seems like it was the largest base, and I had finished building everything, it felt like "this is it, you can't progress any more in the game". I want more progression. Is there a base large enough to build everything? I was a couple of buildings short.

VVVV I was talking about the original game, when I moved bases from the church to the truck area. I intend to buy the breakout DLC and see if I like it.

redreader fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 13, 2014

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

I didn't like that when I settled at the truck workshop on the left side of the bottom city on the map, which seems like it was the largest base, and I had finished building everything, it felt like "this is it, you can't progress any more in the game". I want more progression. Is there a base large enough to build everything? I was a couple of buildings short.

Build the RV, pack up, and advance to the next level. Each time you do so you rank up the game's difficulty.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

redreader posted:

VVVV I was talking about the original game, when I moved bases from the church to the truck area. I intend to buy the breakout DLC and see if I like it.

Yeah, this is the feeling State of Decay always gives me. I want to be able to build up to the point where my people are living decent lives again, but even if you trick out the warehouse with a kitchen, dining area, greenhouse, extra beds and a medical facility, it still has a barely-hanging-on vibe as well as the fact you've sacrificed the extremely useful library and training area to get there.

All I want is for my little virtual dudes to be able to claw their way back to living beyond day-to-day hand-to-mouth survival. I guess next time I play Breakdown, after I pile everyone into the RV I'll turn the game off and go play Banished and pretend that the starting wagon is a broken-down RV. Or wait for Dead State to come out and hope that that finally scratches the post-apocalyptic rebuild itch.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Horn posted:

I think I paid 2.75 for this game and I still feel ripped off years later. It's incredibly bad, and not in a way that makes it endearing. Just an unplayable pile of poo poo.

I Nth the wish for more games like SOD. Maybe even something not zombie based would be nice since I'm pretty tired of the zombie trope at this point but that said SOD2 would still be a day 1 purchase for me.

I wanted to say something about how Fort Zombie wasn't terrible but it was. All the time I actually spent trying to play the game was more spent fighting the terrible systems it had instead of beating down zombies. But that goes to show how starved we are for a good third person base defense/survival game because between that game in 2009 and this game I can't remember any other non mods that did well enough.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

The problem with Project Zomboid is that it is a directionless exercise in frustrating UI that is never, at any point, actually fun.

Seconding this. Project Zomboid is a really cool game stuck behind one of the worst loving UIs I've ever seen for a real time game. (PZ's UI would be passable if it was a turn based game.)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I like PZ a lot but yeah there's no loving way I can defend the UI, it's shocking.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Sphrin posted:

I wanted to say something about how Fort Zombie wasn't terrible but it was. All the time I actually spent trying to play the game was more spent fighting the terrible systems it had instead of beating down zombies. But that goes to show how starved we are for a good third person base defense/survival game because between that game in 2009 and this game I can't remember any other non mods that did well enough.

Fort Zombie was pretty moddable though. I remember I despised it until I picked up a mod that made it a bit better. Also, digging into the files revealed that you could allow for Breakdown style play by ramping the days until the final siege way the heck up.

The controls were abysmal though. I can't even remember what was wrong with them other than that fighting was an exercise in frustration. I think I ended up tweaking something that made it slightly more tolerable later on.

Really, Fort Zombie plays sort of like a proto SoD though. If you've played SoD you've seen all it has to offer. Heck, everything from the raiding of neighborhoods to get supplies to the sieges in Lifeline are there in a more primitive capacity.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

redreader posted:

Breakout is the main game.

State of Decay is just a long tutorial.

Lifeline is a fun bonus quick play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Breakdown not Breakout <:mad:>

Also there was a Fort Zombie let's play but it's gone to archive heaven now. Imagine State of Decay done by overly ambitious magpies.

• Locked thread