Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Shaggar posted:

those guys are actually cheating on their taxes. that's not the same as "loopholes"

the loophole is that after a certain point the profit from cheating is more than the punishment for cheating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
who is KPMG?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the 1%, the hoi polloi

this means common people

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

so what im saying is gas

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

p.s. are u.k. rental cars just really expensive? i'm accustomed to like $100/day

i dunno, i can't drive

quote:

from what i can tell london is half the country

no it's just a city unto it's own, a bit like nyc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theadder posted:

this means common people

yes, in this context the 1% are the common rabble

can't let the bond traders and doctors get into the same tax dodges as old money and billionaires, it just wouldn't do!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
the only loophole is that you're able to take effectively unlimited amounts of tax deductions

cap it to a certain % of your taxes and all of the issues magically go away

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yeah, you could establish a minimum income over which you have to pay an alternative tax

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if you have enough money that you are saving or investing 95% of your money we should just tax you on all of it unless you spend it in americann small businesses in which case you dont get taxed on any of it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

computer parts posted:

the only loophole is that you're able to take effectively unlimited amounts of tax deductions

cap it to a certain % of your taxes and all of the issues magically go away

for little people this is true. we could stop your doctor or whatever from dodging taxes this way, and we do, via amt

the big boys have elaborate mazes of trusts and shell corporations to shuffle losses around and avoid tax. and there are shitloads of loopholes.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this doesn't matter much for 300 miles. hell, car rentals in the u.s. often have gas included for free. it's just not that big a deal, because people don't drive rentals that far.

where are you renting b/c I've never had a rental that did that

they've taken to offering to let you pay for the 'full' tank it comes with at some microscopic discount but that's a sucker's game unless you bring it back with the light on or close to

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

P.s. The last time a rich man risked jail for his "defensible position" was when KPMG got uppity and started selling "defensible position" letters to regular schmucks, mere millionaires instead of aristocrats

The irs was ok with vanderbilts cheating on their taxes. They were mos def not ok with the 1%, the hoi polloi, borrowing their tactics

KPMG ate it hard

willie....

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fritz posted:

where are you renting b/c I've never had a rental that did that

they've taken to offering to let you pay for the 'full' tank it comes with at some microscopic discount but that's a sucker's game unless you bring it back with the light on or close to

it started w/ zipcar but there are several of these firms now w/ all-inclusive pricing

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

bring back lf so its not in here

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

p.s. are u.k. rental cars just really expensive? i'm accustomed to like $100/day

i rented a car in london last fall and it was like £260 per day, no gas included. but that was because it was a business trip so my company was picking up the tab for me to drive a luxury sedan. they had some for like £70 per day or so iirc

e: no wait i think after all the fees and gas etc i paid £463 to rent it for 22 hours

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 8, 2014

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MeramJert posted:

i rented a car in london last fall and it was like £260 per day, no gas included. but that was because it was a business trip so my company was picking up the tab for me to drive a luxury sedan. they had some for like £70 per day or so iirc

e: no wait i think after all the fees and gas etc i paid £463 to rent it for 22 hours

A,AL260 per day sure sounds like a

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bloody posted:

i know that the "l" is british pounds, but what are the two "a"s?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

prefect posted:

i know that the "l" is british pounds, but what are the two "a"s?

character encoding getting hosed up as usual

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

sounds like a what?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

MeramJert posted:

so basically what's going on here is a character encoding problem

some idiot typed a UTF-8 UK pound sterling sign which is U+00A3, two bytes, 0b11000010 0b10100011

some idiot took these bytes to be Latin-1 (or one of its derivatives), in which case they represent two characters: a capital A with a circumflex followed by a UK pound sterling sign

then some idiot transcoded the Latin-1 into UTF-8 again, in which we have two characters occupying four bytes, U+00C3 U+00A3 = 0b11000011 0b10000010 0b11000010 0b10100011

and finally some idiot took those four bytes and interpreted them as Windows-1252 (a Latin-1 derivative), in which encoding they represent four characters: a capital A with tilde, a single low-9 quotation mark, a capital A with a circumflex and a UK pound sterling sign

at least one of these idiots is user MeramJert

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i blame awful.app

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
i deal with ebcdic on a daily basis so this is basically how i relax

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

qntm posted:

lol owned

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
ebcdic is the character encoding with three separate characters for "carriage return", "line break" and "new line"

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
if you put an ascii string through a ascii-to-ebcdic converter 484,330 times it becomes ascii again

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
C code:
if (letter >= 'A' && letter <= 'Z') {
  num = letter - 'A';
}
else if (letter >= 'a' && letter <= 'z') {
  num = letter - 'a';
}
ebcdic is the reason why this code doesn't work

men with puns
Feb 8, 2010
Young Orc

qntm posted:

:suicide:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

qntm posted:

so basically what's going on here is a character encoding problem

some idiot typed a UTF-8 UK pound sterling sign which is U+00A3, two bytes, 0b11000010 0b10100011

some idiot took these bytes to be Latin-1 (or one of its derivatives), in which case they represent two characters: a capital A with a circumflex followed by a UK pound sterling sign

then some idiot transcoded the Latin-1 into UTF-8 again, in which we have two characters occupying four bytes, U+00C3 U+00A3 = 0b11000011 0b10000010 0b11000010 0b10100011

and finally some idiot took those four bytes and interpreted them as Windows-1252 (a Latin-1 derivative), in which encoding they represent four characters: a capital A with tilde, a single low-9 quotation mark, a capital A with a circumflex and a UK pound sterling sign

at least one of these idiots is user MeramJert

dang

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah apparently the android forums app has encoding issues, who could have guessed

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MeramJert posted:

i blame awful.app

MeramJert posted:

yeah apparently the android forums app has encoding issues, who could have guessed

so is it awful.app or awful.apk

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i thought i had ipad posted that at first, but I thought harder and later remembered it was posted from my android phone, so awful.apk it was

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

mysql is probably set to its happy default of latin/swedish case insensitive encoding

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

my stepdads beer posted:

mysql is probably set to its happy default of latin/swedish case insensitive encoding

well i can type a pound £

edit: and it looks ok to me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

my stepdads beer posted:

was the inventor swedish?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

MeramJert posted:

i thought i had ipad posted that at first, but I thought harder and later remembered it was posted from my android phone, so awful.apk it was

character encoding for the forums is pretty much 'here be dragons'

forums don't accept utf-8 directly, if you force it it'll munge it internally and generate that kind of jibberish. the accepts header specifies iso8859, but that's wrong because it actually expects win1252.

afaik, the only reason unicode works on the forums is everything is encoded in html-escaped characters at some point. it's terrible, the third party apps work around it but weird poo poo pops up

e:
here's the text the forums returns for a reply in chinese:
code:
&#22902;&#27833;&#24656;&#24598;&#20804;&#30340;&#35299;&#37323;&#30495;&
:radium:
it's actually double-encoded too "& amp ;#22902;"

zeekner fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 9, 2014

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
it doesn't surprise me remotely that at least two of the other idiots are radium

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
why can't it be whoever wrote vbulletin, I mean why the heck would radium dabble into unicodes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

why the heck would radium dabble into <noun>

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

what's the least terrible version control product that will integrate into vs2012?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

St Evan Echoes posted:

what's the least terrible version control product that will integrate into vs2012?

git is the best version control product but I dunno about the rest of your question

• Locked thread