Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Paradox forums are gonna be sooooo pissed about this PS4 news.

Console gamers!!! :bahgawd:

Yeah! That unspecified news thing. Horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Paradox forums are gonna be sooooo pissed about this PS4 news.

Console gamers!!! :bahgawd:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/hearts-of-iron-road-to-war

V for Vegas posted:

Yeah! That unspecified news thing. Horrible.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/e3-2014-every-paradox-studio-working-on-ps4-exclusive/0193943

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Oh, that's pretty cool.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

nutranurse posted:

Oh, that's pretty cool.

But but CONSOLE GAMERS CASUALS DUMBED-DOWN THIRD ROME POLAND MIGHTY CANDY CRUSH UNVERSALIS

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
When it says studios do they mean the internal studios that work on different games or the studios like the guys that made darkest hour?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Magicka 2 trailer was pretty great. I've grown to love Paradox's live action trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDj6bjvDiY0

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

When it says studios do they mean the internal studios that work on different games or the studios like the guys that made darkest hour?

Studios like the guys who made Magicka. So kind of both.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Magicka 2 trailer was pretty great. I've grown to love Paradox's live action trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDj6bjvDiY0

So that earlier article said PS4 exclusive, but this says it'll come out for standard Windows too (I'm assuming Steam). I hope the video is the correct one, because I can't use a console controller but I loved Magicka and am excited for Magicka 2.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
This generation exclusive means not on xbone or ps4. See Titanfall coming out on PC.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, almost everything announced as an exclusive at the Sony event was either a timed exclusive or console exclusive with a PC port. There's no way Magicka 2 wouldn't come to PC.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
This game seems interesting!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/285480/

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I recognise HoI3, Civ, Rise of Nations and Cossacks, any others?
e: Actually what I thought was RoN seems to be a Great War mod for Cossacks
e2: And what I thought was Civ is http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=271&Itemid=452

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 10, 2014

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Strategic Command: The Great War, and that Russian WW1 game from 2003 or whatever

"This game will unlock in approximately 3 days and 10 hours"

can't wait!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

I guess your lawyers could use the change-up from trying to worm the Clausewitz engine out of Ubik.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Came out in 2003, all the screenshots are in Russian? :steam:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Came out in 2003, all the screenshots are in Russian? :steam:

Look closer at the screenshots.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh, I had to scroll to the end. :laffo:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
They've just removed them.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Yep, they are all gone... unless you look at their logo or the background of their steam page.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Yeah this is basically how I remember WW1 happening.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I seem to recall that game when it first came out. Wasn't it some sort of rip-off of Cossacks but in WW1?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

John Charity Spring posted:

I seem to recall that game when it first came out. Wasn't it some sort of rip-off of Cossacks but in WW1?

That makes sense - Cossacks was capable of churning out huge numbers like that and the engine looks similar.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I own that game on disc somewhere.

If I remember correctly, it had some issues with perfectly fine video cards and It didn't even work on the computer I had at the time.

But yeah, Cossacks WW1.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

It took me a moment to realize those weren't trees and that wasn't a forest I was looking at.

It's kinda neat I think that they made a game with that many units on screen, but I have trouble imagining how a game like that would stay sane - or interesting - if attacking basically consisted of drag-selecting the entire screen and attack-moving elsewhere.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

"Build more houses."

haha yeah

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Victoria 2: do payments to workers and capitalists operate on a system of shares (say, 1 worker gets 1 share of profits, 1 capitalist gets 100 shares, so a factory with 10,000 workers in a state with 10 capitalists would divide profits 10,000:1,000 workers:capitalists) or does a set percentage of the total get divided between them regardless of their size relative to one another? The former seems more intuitive but I haven't tested or read anything on the matter

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tomn posted:

It took me a moment to realize those weren't trees and that wasn't a forest I was looking at.

It's kinda neat I think that they made a game with that many units on screen, but I have trouble imagining how a game like that would stay sane - or interesting - if attacking basically consisted of drag-selecting the entire screen and attack-moving elsewhere.

That's how I play every RTS.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

That CGI trailer tries really hard to make WWI look exciting.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

WWI was pretty cool and was not just the Western Front.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
There's a great WWI pirate game just waiting to be made where you're in control of the German China squadron and need to do as much damage as possible before getting trapped.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Silent Hunter Zero: Overseaboat

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DStecks posted:

That CGI trailer tries really hard to make WWI look exciting.

WWI is hella exciting and there's like a dozen game concepts just waiting to be made about the various theaters. Too bad this one is bog-standard RTS attack-move

uPen posted:

There's a great WWI pirate game just waiting to be made where you're in control of the German China squadron and need to do as much damage as possible before getting trapped.

There is a game that's kind of what you're describing

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28185/the-kaisers-pirates

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Riso posted:

They've just removed them.

What were they? All I see now is screenshots of a lovely re-skin of AoE2.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

What were they? All I see now is screenshots of a lovely re-skin of AoE2.

One screenshot of Hearts of Iron 3, and one screenshot of this game. You can still see the HoI3 background on their Steam logo.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jeoh posted:

WWI was pretty cool and was not just the Western Front.

WWI is the shittiest, stupidest war in human history, and it legitimately saddens me that my country has tried to build up its national mythology around it. :canada:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
WW2 wasn't exactly the brightest idea either. Of course, it's a direct result of WWI so :shrug:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

This is gonna be a good couple of years for ww1 games I think, what with the 100th anniversary of that war starting soon.

Looks like AGEOD is already on the ball
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/533/details/Ageod%27s.To.End.All.Wars

Too bad it's AGEODs engine :negative:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pimpmust posted:

This is gonna be a good couple of years for ww1 games I think, what with the 100th anniversary of that war starting soon.

Looks like AGEOD is already on the ball
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/533/details/Ageod%27s.To.End.All.Wars

Too bad it's AGEODs engine :negative:

It looks like they changed the combat system a little bit.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Riso posted:

WW2 wasn't exactly the brightest idea either. Of course, it's a direct result of WWI so :shrug:

"Let's stop the Nazis from taking over the world" is a lot more defensible as a reason to go to war, though. Compared to "Austria wants to settle the score with Serbia, which means Russia will attack Austria, which means Germany must invade Belgium and draw Britain into the war."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hmm yeah, less board-gamey maybe?

AGEODs screenshots always look great, all thematic and oozing atmosphere (I mean, compare to the Strategic Command or Commander - the Great War ww1 games) but the engine runs like poo poo, the UI is usually a mess (I could never get Grand Offensives to work in the last AGEOD ww1 game) and the AI is... questionable.

I wonder if we'll ever get a good ww1 game with AI for each individual country so you don't have to play the entire drat alliance.

Paradox, still waiting here and no, Victoria doesn't count :colbert:

• Locked thread