Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Frkzd posted:

Hello. I'm obviously new to SA, and was encouraged to join and contribute by fellow EVE players where I work. I had a couple quick question I couldn't find an answer to elsewhere, so correct me if I'm wrong for bringing it here...

I tried joining GS since (re)starting EVE, and admittedly didn't follow the instructions very well in my first couple attempts. The internet is full of webistrations and the like, most of which being entirely negligible. After reading more carefully I realized this is where I went wrong.

Q: After failing, is it possible to join sooner with after-the-fact sponsorship from an eligible member? Otherwise, is it acceptable to reapply once I meet the requirements I originally overlooked? Or would it be more efficient to send my clones to the biomass reprocessor and start over at this point?

I like EVE, despite all the things, so I'm not complaining about the application / registration process. Quite the opposite. My only complaint is that it's immensely boring to solo/pub in any MMO, and I'd rather not bother (ever again) with any other gaming groups or their forums after being referred to SA.

Important question. Do you know any Something Awful member who is a member of Goonwaffe, in good standing, who has been so for longer than 30 days? If so, and they live close enough to punch you in the dick for loving up and getting them :commissar: out of the alliance for your mistake, and you can convince them to give you their sponsorship, then you have a shot. If not, then you are hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frkzd
Jun 9, 2014
If getting sponsorship would get someone kicked, I'd rather not bother.

If getting punched in the dick would work in both our favor, I'd upload the video.

*I didn't see anything within the OP that directly related to my questions to say I was f'ked.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Frkzd posted:

If getting punched in the dick would work in both our favor, I'd upload the video.

*I didn't see anything within the OP that directly related to my questions to say I was f'ked.

To be fair, when I drop into a 467 page thread I too only read the OP and the last 5 pages and tend to ignore the second post.

Nyfrin
Jul 8, 2006

Frkzd posted:

Second post in the thread, the continuation of the OP. See the section conviently titled "What are the requirements to join GoonWaffe?". In your case, see the witty comic directly below that section.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Frkzd posted:

Sponsorship wouldn't directly get someone kicked, only if you grievously hosed up, I.E causing a major diplo incident with our allies, ganked people in corp/alliance, spied for a hostile adversary, etc.

Frkzd posted:

Don't try to be cute, instead, watch others post, and learn how people post on this forum, and then begin posting.

Frkzd posted:

That's because there isn't. If you can learn how to post, and participate actively in the community, and not be a massively annoying gently caress to everyone who reads your posts, you will be able to apply to Goonwaffe on your own merits and get in successfully. I have seen many people gently caress that up before, so I am not holding out hope in your case. Getting one of the people you work with to sponsor you if they are willing would be your best bet.

E: Rereading your original post, you did seem to realize that you hosed up somewhere, so maybe there is a glimmer of hope. Yet again though, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of reading the OP, and in the case of long threads such as this one, the last 5 or 6 pages to see if someone has maybe answered your question. If not, use the observation you have made of how people are posting in the last 6 or so pages to determine how to ask your question in a way that won't immediately piss everyone off.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 10, 2014

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

blowfish posted:

I meant it more as a reference to "now you're ~space important~ so we need to wake you up at 5am to shoot pixels, nerd" rather than "help there are reds on the field with ~my titan~", and I suppose it depends on whether you're in a Russian alliance that takes EVE too seriously.

Anyway, my future supers will be abused to kill random shitlers in carriers till I get counterdropped.

I'm pushing my highsec sp whore into dreads now just for doing this. Not like I have time for gently caress all, but the idea of dropping giant blap cannons on carriers and ruining their day seems very fun.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

orange juche posted:

Sponsorship wouldn't directly get someone kicked, only if you grievously hosed up, I.E causing a major diplo incident with our allies, ganked people in corp/alliance, spied for a hostile adversary, etc.

Don't try to be cute, instead, watch others post, and learn how people post on this forum, and then begin posting.

That's because there isn't. If you can learn how to post, and participate actively in the community, and not be a massively annoying gently caress to everyone who reads your posts, you will be able to apply to Goonwaffe on your own merits and get in successfully. I have seen many people gently caress that up before, so I am not holding out hope in your case. Getting one of the people you work with to sponsor you if they are willing would be your best bet.

E: Rereading your original post, you did seem to realize that you hosed up somewhere, so maybe there is a glimmer of hope. Yet again though, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of reading the OP, and in the case of long threads such as this one, the last 5 or 6 pages to see if someone has maybe answered your question. If not, use the observation you have made of how people are posting in the last 6 or so pages to determine how to ask your question in a way that won't immediately piss everyone off.

He seems to at least be a better poster than some of the regulars in this thread. I kinda hope it works out for him, actually.

Frkzd
Jun 9, 2014
I honestly read as much as I could (post-fail). The second post details SA requirements, which seem irrelevant with sponsorship, but I didn't want to assume anything after screwing it up.

Meanwhile, I'm content with skilling & posting until I can re-apply. Thanks for clarifying.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
No don't post. This really isn't for you.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Tai posted:

No don't post. This really isn't for you.

Some get batter with practice.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
If you really want to get into waffe by application (coming from someone who hasn't ever applied) just find something outside of the Eve thread you are interested in and post there. Actually get into the community and participate.
I came here for waffe, but kept coming back because I needed a place to waste time that isn't blocked by my company's network. Also because the OSHA.jpg thread in GBS made me pretty popular in the workplace.
Basically what I'm saying is, don't waste your :10bux: by not participating in other threads. There is a lot of good stuff here besides Eve Online.

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005

Slickdrac posted:

Razor apparently grabbed everyone's phone number they could and put it on every call bot in the world. I've had over 100 calls in 3 days. They were loving bragging about it too.

vvv-Razor, in their need to be as completely vindictive for whatever reason, got on our forums, and grabbed the director/former director/titan pilot phone number list and threw at least several of the numbers on a bunch of call bot/call center lists around the world, or at least around languages, considering I can't understand half the people calling.

Razor seems to be going after the dudes who did this internally

quote:

To whom it may concern

We (Razor Alliance) came into the possession of a forum download from a ex-razor corp by the name of hirr.  The forum and all data contained within were made publicly viewable at the following link: 

http://www.eve-razor.com/forum-downloads/hirr/hirr.net/msgboard/index.html however the link was only given out to a few people until the time of this post.  It has come to our attention someone has decided to use some of the data contained within (phone numbers) to harass a member of hirr.  We do not condone this type of activity and believe a game should stay a game.  The data within the forum was never collected with the intention of affecting anyone's life outside of the game.  As such we will take steps to identify and remove the person responsible if they are part of Razor.  The offending data has been removed from the page and IP access records of the page can be made available upon request.

On behalf of Razor I would like to apologize to the member affected by this childish activity.

https://www.eve-razor.com/forum/index.php?topic=41270.msg323813#msg323813

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

orange juche posted:

You missed the "go into a rival escalation services forum thread and/or jabber channel and poo poo it to hell and back"

Maneck posted:

Some get batter with practice.

And some get worse and join Amok.

Salisbury Snape fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 10, 2014

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

Lord_Ferritos posted:

You missed the "go into a rival escalation services forum thread and/or jabber channel and poo poo it to hell and back"

Isn't that how you get into widot?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Isn't that how you get into widot?

No, Ferritos stole everything from some PL renters he was a member of and then literally nobody in the game would take him but Widot.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Alchenar posted:

No, Ferritos stole everything from some PL renters he was a member of and then literally nobody in the game would take him but Widot.

120b theft, and another 80b in damages from a director level shut down of a corp seems to put people off recruiting you for some strange reason.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lord_Ferritos posted:

And some get worse and join Amok.

When I found out that Rothana actually throws out invites to people who get negrepped so hard as to cross the "Soon to be recruited by Amok." barrier, I laughed pretty hard.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Frkzd posted:

I honestly read as much as I could (post-fail). The second post details SA requirements, which seem irrelevant with sponsorship, but I didn't want to assume anything after screwing it up.

Meanwhile, I'm content with skilling & posting until I can re-apply. Thanks for clarifying.

People around here will literally poo poo their pants if you drop internet memes (fail, wtf, owned, etc) and cutesy language. They pride themselves on being very serious adults and part time e-spaceship pilots, you see.

Also, there's a shitload more to somethingawful than spaceships.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

If you really want to get into waffe by application (coming from someone who hasn't ever applied) just find something outside of the Eve thread you are interested in and post there. Actually get into the community and participate.
I came here for waffe, but kept coming back because I needed a place to waste time that isn't blocked by my company's network. Also because the OSHA.jpg thread in GBS made me pretty popular in the workplace.
Basically what I'm saying is, don't waste your :10bux: by not participating in other threads. There is a lot of good stuff here besides Eve Online.

Every once and a while people get it.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

JohnSherman posted:

since it's too weird for internet poster Bedshaped.

Booley posted:

Thanks for clarification internet forums poster bedshaped.

I... uh. Thanks for proving my point I guess, weirdos?

You probably both skipped work that Monday so you could destroy internet spaceships.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Bedshaped posted:

You probably both skipped work that Monday so you could destroy internet spaceships.

"Hey look at these guys! They have fun playing video games! What a bunch of nerds!"

Hello Internet Poster Bedshaped. This is the EVE online thread, where people talk about enjoying EVE online. I too would have ditched class so I could shoot nerds at B-RB, were I able. I'm sorry your fun organs are so malformed that you seem to believe that not participating in one of the most epic and unique events in video game history isn't somewhat enticing.

(:fuckoff:)

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I said super pilots are desensitized from reality and you vehemently agree and celebrate it so good for you. :waycool:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bedshaped posted:

I said super pilots are desensitized from reality and you vehemently agree and celebrate it so good for you. :waycool:

Could you please clarify what you mean by "desensitized from reality"? It sounds like empty ad hominem jargon to me, and it makes less sense the more that I think about it.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Also, there's a shitload more to somethingawful than spaceships.

Seconding this. It is practically imposible to not find one or more threads related to your hobbies/profession/personal fetish that you will enjoy to read and post into, with quite good signal/noise ratio. It reminds me of the old, first times usenet and the boards in services like CIS, before anyone and his dog had acces to "da internet" :corsair:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

Could you please clarify what you mean by "desensitized from reality"? It sounds like empty ad hominem jargon to me, and it makes less sense the more that I think about it.

Will place the importance of their space game over the following activities:
  • Work
  • School
  • Family
  • Face-to-face socialization
  • Any other real life socialization

Also a desensitized person will try and equate any of these activities to activities in the game.

I don't even have to reach that far to find examples:

ChickenWing posted:

I too would have ditched class so I could shoot nerds at B-RB, were I able.

Lord_Ferritos posted:

I would definitely take the day off for a decent op with supers.
Maybe not a lovely station grind, but something that could potentially end in hostile super mails, or the possible destruction of my super.

If i had been working on the day of BR-5, I would have not gone in/or come home.
Im not sure this is being de-sensitized from reality, I wouldn't give much of a poo poo if some random space friend phoned my mother as long as the message got to me.

Booley posted:

Someone texting you and saying "hey, we're going to the bar in 15, want to join us?" is an acceptable use of a text message, but "hey, we're going to play a video game in 15, want to join us?" isn't.

JohnSherman posted:

I routinely drop what I'm doing and drive to a field to be a last minute sub in a game of footy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

• Work
  • School
  • Family

Also a desensitized person will try and equate any of these activities to activities in the game.

:ohdear: I check all 5 of those boxes, am I a future titan pilot?

I just reread it, and really I only fulfill 3/5 of it. Then again I am 6,700 miles away from anyone I give a gently caress about, so there you have it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 10, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Begun, the well-adjusted wars have.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Ok

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Bedshaped posted:

• Work
  • School
  • Family

Taking a single day off work, doesn't equate to being desensitized from reality. I have a family, real world friends, a job (where social interaction is unavoidable)

Because I stated that I would have one day off work for a spaceship fight that broke records doesn't mean that i have difficulty functioning in the real world.

If, however, this happened on a weekly or daily basis, maybe there would be cause for concern. You seem to not realize though, that internet spaceships for some people are one of the few ways they can socially interact with other people due to being ill or infirm.

Doesn't mean you are a better person than any of them, you don't live their lives, it is not your place to judge.

:fuckoff:

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
You seem to be prioritizing making GBS threads up the forums over going out and getting laid or whatever, are you desensitized to posting?

Also please explain how playing a (video) game with friends is not a social activity.

e: inre: bedshaped

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bedshaped posted:

• Work
  • School
  • Family

DO YOU EVEN LIFT BRO?

Seriously, :frogout:

edit: Holy poo poo that rapsheet. No surprises here folks. :catstare:

Siets fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 10, 2014

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Bedshaped posted:

• Work
  • School
  • Family

Oh, come on! It is like events like the fight in B-R happened every day in EVE. That (or, for the sake of argument, Asakai or any other big fight/event) was a rare and special ocasion, which happens at most one or two times a year, and it makes perfect sense for a balanced person who (drat!) happens to be an EVE player to want to be there. The same way a football (or soccer, if you want) fan will want to watch the Champions League final if his team is playing it, or a music fan will want to attend the only concert his favourite band plays in town.

EVE is a hobby, and it is not different than any other hobby in this aspect. Unless you consider the fact it is a geeky hobby played using computers makes it fundamentally different.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You guys know how there are about 5 auth team guys reading the thread, not even counting Vyst?
Let's not waste a gazillion posts on this guy.

On that note, thanks to all the auth guys who waded through my creating 16 accounts worth of characters with the last name Trevane.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rapner posted:

On that note, thanks to all the auth guys who waded through my creating 16 accounts worth of characters with the last name Trevane.

Alts are really easy, it's the people who can't figure out how to apply properly in the first place who are a problem.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Siets posted:

edit: Holy poo poo that rapsheet. No surprises here folks. :catstare:

Admittedly, it's 80% FYAD :v:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Bedshaped posted:

• Work
  • School
  • Family

Count me as desensitized then, I quite like having something to occupy my time while avoiding terrible relatives, a class I was forced to take because the college wouldn't take an identical transfer, and a terrible retail job I told them I would not be working holidays or weekends for.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

• Work
  • School
  • Family

Valuing one experience over another on occasion is not being desensitized. If it becomes a habitual thing that shapes the course of your life, then yes it is.

Quit being so goddamn black and white because you sound really dumb.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

For a bad troll he certainly got a lot of bites. I'm sad that I replied before I noticed :smith:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
You're all despicable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Bedshaped posted:

You're all despicable.

Yeah, you're probably right.