Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Listen man, we've had our differences, but we really bond over Kelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Timmy Cruise posted:

What is with that I wonder? My experience has been similar. I have been ID'd more since I turned 30 than when I was 21-30.

For California at least, there's been a huge increase in underage stings in the last few years, which I think has done it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

30 at the end of July... Not sure if it's a good thing or not. Haven't been asked for ID since I decided shaving was 10 mins more in the morning I could sleep for and started to rock the homeless look. Fits in with the job surprisingly well!

I've just spent the last three days doing an intermediate tree falling course and have another day to go. loving awesome noise when a 40m tall, 800mm diameter pine tree comes crashing down and smacks the ground.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've put out feelers about local garages and mentioned the problem to all my petrolhead contractor friends, I'm sure I'll get something back. My drive just fits the E46 and the camping trailer, unless it gets wrecked and flattened with heavy equipment there's no space for another car period.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

In another bit of age-related sadness, Rik Mayall has died, only 56 years old :(

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27770266

Goodnight, sweet prince of knob gags.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Friar Zucchini posted:

That Suburban of mine is out sick. I think the oil pump was dying - got an idiot light and the oil pressure was bouncing between not much, zero and normal. I figured that this meant I had a leak and the pickup was having trouble getting enough oil... nope. Dumped five quarts into it and then I checked the dipstick, which told Dipshit Zucchini that I had exactly twice as much oil as I was supposed to have. Drove it around a little more and still kept getting that poo poo with the oil gauge. Figured I'd deal with it for the weekend and bring it into the shop on Monda*clicketyclicketyclickety*

fffffffff:tizzy:ccckkkk.

So I clattered it half a mile to a friend's house. Called the shop while they were open today, gonna get it towed in after-hours in a little while so they can see if I need a rebuild a new car. Options as I see it are these:

1. Don't need to rebuild engine, can afford to fix, should buy a new car anyway but gently caress you I want my Suburban
2. Need to rebuild engine, costs $car, buy a new one, sell Suburban for $metal, weep over loss
3. Need to rebuild engine, no clue how much the parts and tools will cost, end of wonderful friendship, will probably have to get rid of tools when done

So I live in a military barracks but I've got a friend who lives off post. I have almost no tools (got a set of wrenches, a timing light and that's about it) nor a place to keep them for myself if I buy them, so if I go for option 3 I'd have to keep them (including an engine winch) at his house, and we'll both have to leave in September. Furthermore I haven't done anything more sophisticated than swap (and yell at) a set of drum brakes so I'd be in way over my head. Needless to say, that friend wouldn't be much of one after having to deal with a clueless idiot rebuilding an engine in his driveway.

Guessing you all would recommend option 3.
Grab a junkyard engine and jam it the gently caress in there. Probably done for under 500 bucks, depending on pricing around your area. Suburban motors are nothing special or hard to find.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
algternately put an LSx in it

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Woo finally finished moving out of my parents house into an art gallery in Northcote (the most hipster of melbourne suburbs) and I have two Volvos, am I a hipster?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Depends, how large are your glasses, which coffee chains do you frequent?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

Woo finally finished moving out of my parents house into an art gallery in Northcote (the most hipster of melbourne suburbs) and I have two Volvos, am I a hipster?
I wouldn't call Volvo hipster. Maybe Saab or Skoda.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
240s are definitely hipster territory these days over in the states

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

rscott posted:

And that hipster status is reflected in the market. Clapped out, crashed, 250k mile, pre-1987 240s are going for $2000 minimum here in Atlanta.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

bandman posted:

And that hipster status is reflected in the market. Clapped out, crashed, 250k mile, pre-1987 240s are going for $2000 minimum here in Atlanta.

And they never maintain the loving things either, so as soon as they leave them stranded perfectly pristine 240s end up in the junkyard with a parts-only title until they get crushed for China.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

You Am I posted:

I wouldn't call Volvo hipster. Maybe Saab or Skoda.

rscott posted:

I own a 740 and an 850, presumably because 240s are too mainstream. I dont go anywhere for coffee due to my housemates being really good at making coffee.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

And they never maintain the loving things either, so as soon as they leave them stranded perfectly pristine 240s end up in the junkyard with a parts-only title until they get crushed for China.

I'm in favour of this because I need parts for my 740 and I make pocket money taking parts from the wreckers for old peeps in the volvo club.

big dong wanter fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 10, 2014

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

"But they're supposed to run forever! gently caress it, I'm getting an old diesel Benz. Those are really supposed to last forever, right? I'm going to run it on fry grease so I can maximize my environmental cred and smugness at the same drat time."

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

bandman posted:

"But they're supposed to run forever! gently caress it, I'm getting an old diesel Benz. Those are really supposed to last forever, right? I'm going to run it on fry grease so I can maximize my environmental cred and smugness at the same drat time."

What actually happens to engines that are run on kitchen grease?
I imagine they die sooner than they would if they were fed the proper fuel. Does it really reduce emissions?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If it's properly filtered (it never is with hipsters because that takes effort) I don't think it's much worse for engines than normal diesel. Also it's not so much that it reduces emissions it's about not burning fossil fuels and using something that would otherwise be thrown out that makes it environmentally friendly.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I thought the vw golf was the hipster car

http://jalopnik.com/further-proof-the-volkswagen-golf-is-a-hipster-car-1099358034

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

In my experience, VW Golfs are for twentysomething women and city-dwelling white supremacists on welfare.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

KozmoNaut posted:

In another bit of age-related sadness, Rik Mayall has died, only 56 years old :(

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27770266

Goodnight, sweet prince of knob gags.

well that just ruined my morning. I grew up watching the young ones and eventually discovered Bottom and The Dangerous Brothers. I really do love this quote from Adrian Edmondson

"And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard."

I think I will have to re-watch as much Rick Mayall TV shows as possible tonight.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Negromancer posted:

I think I will have to re-watch as much Rick Mayall TV shows as possible tonight.

I have The Young Ones, Bottom (including the live shows), The New Statesman and his episodes of Blackadder queued up for the weekend.

He was absolutely one of my favorite comedians ever (especially when working with Adrian Edmondson).

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I am a hipster and I can confirm that my people love 240s and Golfs, as well as old Civics, anything wood-paneled, and anything so-ugly-it's-awesome.

I missed my dealership job. I'm back to dealership work on Monday, but I'm staying in Minneapolis. I will miss the independence and the ability to develop my own online marketing program and the variety of work offered to me at my old dealership, but I will never go back to Grand Forks.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

KozmoNaut posted:

I have The Young Ones, Bottom (including the live shows), The New Statesman and his episodes of Blackadder queued up for the weekend.

He was absolutely one of my favorite comedians ever (especially when working with Adrian Edmondson).

I need to get my hands on the Bottom live shows and the Dangerous Brothers, but they are rather hard to come by in the US.

If you have never seen the Dangerous Brothers before, I highly recommend watching it right now on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QwXiHG3rjY

The next hour or so of my work day are going to be pretty unproductive now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Negromancer posted:

If you have never seen the Dangerous Brothers before, I highly recommend watching it right now on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QwXiHG3rjY

The next hour or so of my work day are going to be pretty unproductive now.

I dunno.

Ade Edmondson with hair? That's a bit extreme for me.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm just curious, did wagoneer prices spike in the last few years? How about the aztek? They were both featured on breaking bad

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

I'm just curious, did wagoneer prices spike in the last few years? How about the aztek? They were both featured on breaking bad

There are a bunch of Azteks locally for about 4k. All dealership prices because nobody actually buys the horrid things.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ugh, just remembered that I need to fix my exhaust and get a tech inspection for 2 weeks from now, but I'm going to be at the Outer Banks all of next week.

UGH.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Pulling my hair out here. I can't find a pitman arm for a 1976 Chevy Nova, base six cylinder. The closest I got was RareParts part number RP20872. According to O'Reilly auto, this part fits a shitload of different year Pontiac Firebirds and Chevy Camaros as well as the 1976 Chevy Nova. They also want $220 for it. gently caress that. According to Amazon, it's actually for manual steering only. My Nova is power steering. Are pitman arms kinda universal or what? Perhaps I'm overthinking this.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What's wrong with the existing one?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

mariooncrack posted:

Wagoneers were already going for nuts prices. As far as the Aztek goes, it may be the only car ugly enough that even hipsters won't drive one ironically.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

InitialDave posted:

What's wrong with the existing one?

Failed inspection. Says "Idler arm and pitman arm have excessive play"

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Does the idler arm have replaceable bushing or something? I have no idea what could cause excessive play in the pitman arm, other than maybe the bushings in the idler arm wore out allowing the pitman arm to move a bit.....

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I'd drive an Aztek, I think they look pretty neat. Man, jokes aside I bet I could find one in fatnabulous condition for a couple bucks. I bet the insurance wouldn't even be that bad, and the parts market would be fine because I could just buy like six of them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

trouser chili posted:

Failed inspection. Says "Idler arm and pitman arm have excessive play"
Have you checked yourself? Play at the spline or the balljoint end?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

trouser chili posted:

Pulling my hair out here. I can't find a pitman arm for a 1976 Chevy Nova, base six cylinder. The closest I got was RareParts part number RP20872. According to O'Reilly auto, this part fits a shitload of different year Pontiac Firebirds and Chevy Camaros as well as the 1976 Chevy Nova. They also want $220 for it. gently caress that. According to Amazon, it's actually for manual steering only. My Nova is power steering. Are pitman arms kinda universal or what? Perhaps I'm overthinking this.

Pitman arms aren't really universal, unfortunately. Get the wrong length and your steering geometry is all hosed up. Also, that arm is apparently made of unobtanium...

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Picked up a Lincoln Weldpak 140hd. It feeds smooth as gently caress and I can't wait to run it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Where are you stationed? There might be a goon near you with a mega set of tools who can help out, most bases have some kind of vehicle work shop they allow their duders to work at too, if you go for (3).
I'm a DLI nerd in Monterey. This place is relatively small and so packed full of nerds they had to ban cosplay, so the likelihood of someone with the right tools is basically nil. If there was a shop like that here I'd sure as hell know about it, but this place is too small for that.

But of course I started it up last night to show the tow truck driver what it sounds like... nothing. Totally goddamn normal. Dude drove it up onto the truck and I parked it when we got to the shop like it ain't no thang. I'm not gonna trust that as far as I can throw it but at least I doubt the engine's toast. If I manage to keep the thing for the rest of the year or so I'll have more money so maybe I can manage to get a diesel in it, maybe air conditioning too. poo poo, maybe even a radio :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Has anyone else noticed that the 12v outlets on new cars (and aftermarket ones) are way, WAY deeper than before? I have a dual USB charger that doesn't even work in a few cars and the socket I put in the Beetle because the socket is too deep.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Continuing the theme of age, I'm 25 and the lady at Costco didn't even try to sell me a credit card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

InitialDave posted:

Have you checked yourself? Play at the spline or the balljoint end?

No clue. I just picked up the car at my buddies place, he was about to donate it. It drives great, steering is super tight so I never thought to check it out.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Pitman arms aren't really universal, unfortunately. Get the wrong length and your steering geometry is all hosed up. Also, that arm is apparently made of unobtanium...

Well gently caress. Funny story though. Buddy of mine was building a Scout and wanted to use a beefier IH truck steering box. Anyway, he got it bolted to the frame and all hooked up only to realize the full size truck boxes spin the other way. Turn the wheel left, Scout goes right. Spin it right, Scout goes left. I tried to get him to leave it that way since it was a trail rig anyway, but he said he couldn't handle it.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 11, 2014

• Locked thread