Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

RBA Starblade posted:

Running back to Cale on NG now, I didn't know getting shot in the head killed all forward momentum you had in midair. That's really specific and really lovely in that area with all the water there. Especially since the hollow archers basically can't miss.

Yeah, the same thing happens with greatarrows, too. I got headshotted and staggered off of a buttress in Anor Londo by an invader.

Edit: While trying to jump up it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Ravenfood posted:

Has there been some kind of patch in the last three days? My Binding Ring doesn't seem to be helping as much and some enemies are taking less damage than I remember. Also, I got hit by the dogs in the Gutter for the first time. Cool that they can hit you with their paw-slap before the animation starts.

Ring of Binding hasn't been touched; what weapon/buff are you using that they're taking less damage?

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
drat, Mytha's bent blade sucks! Can't seem to proc poison/toxic on anything. Got mine at +4, does something amazing happen at +5 or did I waste my dragon bones? I know it has decent crit damage, but I've got a shadow dagger which is way better.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm still on my first play through of this game and I bought it on console release :v: been traveling a bunch and then when I hit Amana I kind of lost interest for a couple of weeks.

So I've gone through all of Amana and Undead Crypt:

Amana is an awesome area in terms of atmosphere. I had to mute the game eventually which was a shame because the PSHEW PSHEW drove me mad. Once you figure out how the area works it's not too bad - there are actually a lot of spots where you can snipe the mages but they can't hit you back. If you don't have a bow *Sorry Carving*

The boss of that area did a good job of being creepy as poo poo. I had heard it was a "frog" and totally wasn't prepared for what it actually was.

Undead thingy was cool. The reveal of Vendrick is awesome, loved the sad music and this giant guy lumbering around useless. The music sort of reminded me of the sad Gwyn theme in DS1 after all the orchestral stuff.

The Throne Watcher/Defender fight was really neat. I love their designs. Can you get their armor?

Throne Defender sword is pretty great, I usually don't like great swords. Unfortunately I can't use my brand new Sunlight Blade with it, only the inherent buff it has.

I realize I went the wrong way :v:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, you can get their armor sets. Maughlin should have them.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Jaaam posted:

drat, Mytha's bent blade sucks! Can't seem to proc poison/toxic on anything. Got mine at +4, does something amazing happen at +5 or did I waste my dragon bones? I know it has decent crit damage, but I've got a shadow dagger which is way better.

Mytha delivers a fixed 300 toxic damage per hit.

Toxic HP is over like 1200 on even the most basic enemies.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Throne Defender sword is pretty great, I usually don't like great swords. Unfortunately I can't use my brand new Sunlight Blade with it, only the inherent buff it has.

I realize I went the wrong way :v:

The Defender's Greatsword buff is exactly the same as Sunlight Blade, it just doesn't last as long. It's basically an upgrade since it frees up a spell slot and most fights won't last long enough for the lower duration to matter.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm still on my first play through of this game...
Hey there, first playthrough buddy! :hfive:

I'm just barely ahead of you and I pretty much agree with everything you've said. I really liked Demon of Song. Like, a lot. Seriously creeped me out when it jumped at me and took a swipe. Horrifying.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tallgeese posted:

And on players?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

patch notes posted:

All versions of Dark Souls II are planned to be updated shortly.
This update is meant to improve user experience.

Issues fixed in the new update:
1) Fixes issue which allows users to dash at high speed
2) Fixes issue which allows users to float in the air

Update Schedule:
PlayStation 3: Planned Friday 6/13
Xbox 360: Planned Monday 6/16
STEAM: Planned Tuesday 6/10

Regulation Version Update:
All Platforms: “1.06” to “1.07”
(The game contents will not be changed. Only the issues above are addressed.)

Game Version Update:
PlayStation 3: “1.04” to “1.05”
Xbox 360: “1.04” to “1.05”
STEAM: “1.02” to “1.03”

Looks like the era of 20 minute speedruns is over.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

And on players?

Well, if mobs are vulnerable to toxic, they seem to be affected at about the same rate as players when using Toxic Mist.

So I'd assume players have a similar amount of toxic resist.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
If I'm trying to bypass shield DR with my Shotel, what's the best element to infuse on it? :raise:

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Tallgeese posted:

Which is apparently not enough to toxic most enemies before the damage from the dagger just kills them, and as for players, have to hit them like 10 times. Pretty infeasible.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The Throne Watcher/Defender fight was really neat. I love their designs. Can you get their armor?

Yes, your pal Maughlin should have the entire set.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
drangelic armor for life

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Honest Thief posted:

drangelic armor for life

Disqualified from fashion souls. :colbert:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
but i got these cute gloves

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

If I have 40 STR and 28 DEX (and at least 20 in all other stats), is it better to make my Shadow Dagger Mundane or should I leave it as-is?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Leave it as is.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Time_pants posted:

If I have 40 STR and 28 DEX (and at least 20 in all other stats), is it better to make my Shadow Dagger Mundane or should I leave it as-is?

With my lowest stat at... 45ish? 50? a mundane shadow dagger is only doing about 20 more damage than an uninfused one. With only 20 in all stats you're better with it uninfused.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!

The new king looks kinda evil

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So I guess it wasn't just me, after getting the Dragon Shrine you are basically told to get lost and stumble upon the Giant's.
Then Nashandra just shows up with limited hints she was that evil.

I did like her design though.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Jaaam posted:

Which is apparently not enough to toxic most enemies before the damage from the dagger just kills them, and as for players, have to hit them like 10 times. Pretty infeasible.

I had this same problem when I tried the poison route for PvE - even with maxed out poison infused weapons + Rat's ring, it just made more sense to whack 'em with my halberd. Having a poison rapier in the offhand was pretty groovy for (NG bellbro) PvP. It had decent poison buildup and low stamina lunging pokes, went well to keep people guessing when using a BKH in the mainhand. Also in NG NO ONE carried moss.

RBA Starblade posted:

e: In four games I've never seen Cale leave this cave either.

Make sure you exhaust all of his dialogue and kill the skeleton in his basement!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

teh_Broseph posted:

Make sure you exhaust all of his dialogue and kill the skeleton in his basement!

I do every time. And in NG+ I killed several of them!

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

I do every time. And in NG+ I killed several of them!

Some folks have reported it bugging out sometimes, never heard anything specific figured out. Rumor goes to make sure you exhaust his dialogue before killing the Last Giant, and try ascetic'ing the bonfire (I assume Majula), kill the basement skeletons, rest at bonfire, cross fingers he's there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got the Butcher's Knife from the Rotten's soul but it doesn't seem that great? I haven't tried it much yet but at +5 the damage is not much better than my Sun Sword, which weighs 19 kg less. It makes sense to go Raw on it because it only has E scaling in one stat, right?

Honest Thief posted:

drangelic armor for life

Whix posted:

All I see are some filthy zombies. If you can't be bothered to use a human effigy for the ultimate fashion souls showoff shot, get out. :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

All I see are some filthy zombies. If you can't be bothered to use a human effigy for the ultimate fashion souls showoff shot, get out. :colbert:

Exactly, I used my very last effigy just so I could get a pretty screenshot, there's no excuse.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Attestant posted:

Disqualified from fashion souls. :colbert:

The Drangleic set looks good though. Except for the hat, that thing doesn't match the rest of the set at all.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The Drangleic set looks good though. Except for the hat, that thing doesn't match the rest of the set at all.
Yup I like it too. I went through almost all the game in the Drangleic set + the Heide Helm. Looks just right for a knight. And it is pretty strong, too.

Of course when I fought the Queen, she cursed me a bit too much, so I looked like jerky. And the cut-scene started without warning, so I couldn't even take a screenshot.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Dreggon posted:

With my lowest stat at... 45ish? 50?

ah, I see you're going with the ol' dex/str/quality/faith/sorcery/hex combobuild, classic

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tonberrytoby posted:

Yup I like it too. I went through almost all the game in the Drangleic set + the Heide Helm. Looks just right for a knight. And it is pretty strong, too.

Of course when I fought the Queen, she cursed me a bit too much, so I looked like jerky. And the cut-scene started without warning, so I couldn't even take a screenshot.

Hah, if you're talking about the one with the plume and not the bucket hat I used the same thing with the Drangleic chest for a while. It fits the armor a lot better.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Manatee Cannon posted:

Hah, if you're talking about the one with the plume and not the bucket hat I used the same thing with the Drangleic chest for a while. It fits the armor a lot better.

Can you even get the bucket hat?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yes, you can get the complete Heide Knight armor set as drops from them. I've got three pairs of Heide Knight pants and a couple hats sitting in my high level character's inventory. I think the armor only drops in ng+ or if you ascetic a bonfire though since they have the weapon drops in the first run.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
The runtime error on game exit keeps Steam's screenshot uploader popup from automatically appearing. You can still pull up the screenshots from within Steam and upload them to the cloud from there, though.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Whix posted:

He's just mad he sat on his arrows.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Please, step aside for the fashion inquisition.

Granny Panties mandatory.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I got the Butcher's Knife from the Rotten's soul but it doesn't seem that great? I haven't tried it much yet but at +5 the damage is not much better than my Sun Sword, which weighs 19 kg less. It makes sense to go Raw on it because it only has E scaling in one stat, right?

The Butcher's Knife when made Raw has ~360 AR, which is average for an axe. It is heavier than most axes but it has the Butcher's Knife unique r2s and that makes it worth it imo.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Are there any strike weapons without lovely vertical swings on the r1/l1? I miss like every loving attack.

Why did they even have to make slash and thrust weapons so much worse for PvE? I really wish they would patch this poo poo so I could use greatswords for PvE as well.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I want to make a gimmick invader named ICANTSEESHIT, leave him naked except for a Black Witch Veil and run off cliffs every time just to amuse hosts, but the name censoring kinda ruins it. :(

e: sp.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

VisAbsoluta posted:

I want to make a gimmick invader named CANTSEESHIT, leave him naked except for a Black Witch Veil and run off cliffs everytime just to amuse hosts, but the name censoring kinda ruins it. :(

Would be better if you just swung wildly at the air whenever you were summoned until they sent you back.