Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Sisko posted:

TL;DR Should I show him how the many different types of things for a broader view or should I keep things simple and work my way up?

Depending on the amount of time you have, I'd probably try to play a couple games. I've always started with a 500 point game when I've had to teach people and kept things as simple as possible. I'd keep those lists limited to infantry with maybe something special like a vehicle tossed in to begin introducing the other unit types and rules. After that, move on to 1000 or 1500 points if possible and accounting for any time or model constraints. Chaos marines aren't all that different from regular marines at their core and should work fine. Keep them simple in the first few games and expand them once he's got the hang of it. That way you can add in things like flyers, monstrous creatures, psychic powers, etc. with an identifiable core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Cataphract posted:

you won't deny poo poo

Give the man a candy.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Squifferific posted:

If it's his first game ever, I'd keep it simple. Let him understand exactly who is supposed to do what and when, as well as learn a bit more about how his army behaves and how it might influence his decisions in list building. Then you can throw weird poo poo at him on subsequent games.

yeah, make it simple as possible.

When I introduce people to the hobby I generally build 500 point lists with a mix of units and play on a 4x4 table.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Cataphract posted:

yeah, make it simple as possible.

When I introduce people to the hobby I generally build 500 point lists with a mix of units and play on a 4x4 table.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going for. Actually using the various starter boxes as 'inspiration' wouldn't be a bad idea; Disregarding what is actually useful and what isn't in, say, Dark Vengeance, there's a handful of different unit types in there so there's some tactical variation (Assault on Black Reach gave the orks jetbikes and Marines got the dreadnought, Dark Vengeance gave the Dark Angels bikers while Chaos got a Helbrute..) It's not a bad idea to try and work like, a couple different unit types in there. Just make sure that whatever you put in one list has SOMETHING that can deal with it in the other; if one side gets a Dreadnought, the other should have at least a couple of dudes with meltas or other anti-tank weapons.. one side having terminators should mean the other side has at least a couple AP2 guns.. bikers or other high-toughness targets should have something with higher strength to take them out, and so on. Ideally you'd have a set of two 500-point armies you can swap back and forth every now and then to let him try different tactics.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Just got to grips with my KR cases. The precut one was great for my Stormtalon + Drop Pods.

The un-pre cut one (2 infantry trays, 3 vehicle trays) took a bit of getting to grips with but was pretty drat intuitive. Fit a manticore, wyvern, hellhound, 3 chimeras and 50 infantry in it. Very very happy. Another one of those would fit all my leman russes, plus another bunch of infantry so I could migrate all my guard over to KR.

Only problem with the drat things is that I want more of them.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Anyone found the dollar price on the new Ork Mek guns?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
A billion and if you don't buy them GW will shoot you in the head

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

A billion and if you don't buy them GW will shoot you in the head

Oh so Australia's finally seeing a price drop. Neat.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

CyberLord XP posted:

Anyone found the dollar price on the new Ork Mek guns?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Not outrageous, but I'm still not buying them. I have big gunz already and I can easily make my own SAG.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

For one gun that's pretty steep, but I'll buy one and kitbash up the rest.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

CyberLord XP posted:

yeah i have enough gorkamorka vehicles and battlwagon bits to make mine

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

CyberLord XP posted:

This is the answer. I'm running by a sign shop to buy their scrap as plasticard probably sometime today for the big guns I finally got slapped together. Also, thanks to whichever goon recommended buying a dollar store package of toy cars--I got like 16 wheels for $1. :whatup:

The new lobbas cost the same as kannons, too! I took 3 into my last game and my opponents wept utterly.

e: 120 pts. for 30 T7 3+ wounds? Yes, please.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 10, 2014

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

SRM posted:

Those new big gunz seem like they plug a few holes in the Ork army rather nicely. The models look good n' Orky too.
You're a positive, talented goon. I forget if you have this already, but I have the model below stripped and ready to paint.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mudx_QLhWZqCU3DelUBsjGQ.jpg

Want it?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

This is the answer. I'm running by a sign shop to buy their scrap as plasticard probably sometime today for the big guns I finally got slapped together. Also, thanks to whichever goon recommended buying a dollar store package of toy cars--I got like 16 wheels for $1. :whatup:

The new lobbas cost the same as kannons, too! I took 3 into my last game and my opponents wept utterly.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you kill off the guns before the crew? So you say 30 wounds but as soon as you lose 6 (3 guns, 2 wounds each) you're left with just a bunch of grots?

Or am I interpreting you wrong? I'm reading this as you maxing out on crew

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Lord Twisted posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you kill off the guns before the crew? So you say 30 wounds but as soon as you lose 6 (3 guns, 2 wounds each) you're left with just a bunch of grots?

Or am I interpreting you wrong? I'm reading this as you maxing out on crew

I will correct you! You're wrong, the crew act as ablative wounds for the guns.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think in 6 it worked that way, or maybe WHFB? I remember reading an excerpt about crew taking cover behind guns in one of the blurbs but I don't recall if it was reflected in the rules.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Direwolf posted:

I will correct you! You're wrong, the crew act as ablative wounds for the guns.

Ah, but I was kinda right in that this only works if they're the closest model to the firing unit. I remember where I was confused - a game where I deep struck behind a TFC and had an argument with the guy when I hit it with a bunch of 2+ to wound sternguard shots, and the techmarine was on the wrong side of the gun.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only bad thing is I think one infantry model in the gun unit has to see their target, and I have a different aegis line for my orks that is a bit taller than a grot. I might have to model some on scrap to cheat I mean add some conversions to my army!
(it looks like some of the grots can be modeled on the gun itself, so this isn't an issue. Kind of like the eldar guns)

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

That's.. a team of Big Meks with Shokk Atttack Guns, right? Not one dude? Because, I'm sorry, $37 for a single model that's not vehicle size or something is just absurd.

Looks really cool, though!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Cataphract posted:

you won't deny poo poo

I don't think the guy I talked to at the FLGS last weekend cares about denying anything except for with the presence of tank guns unit as he was bragging about his his collection of 20 land raiders that he had assembled (with more unassembled) and a bunch of other vehicles that he was talking about.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
The new SAG model is cool, but not sufficiently different to distinguish much from the old metal one. I'll be trawling eBay for it, most likely. I'm on the fence about the Orkanauts, though--I can order one for $70, but I already have a Mega Dread and a Meka Dread.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Esser-Z posted:

That's.. a team of Big Meks with Shokk Atttack Guns, right? Not one dude? Because, I'm sorry, $37 for a single model that's not vehicle size or something is just absurd.

Looks really cool, though!

I'm pretty sure it's a character kit with a bunch of bits so it can be built with other loadouts or as a KFF Mek maybe.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
That doesn't change that:

quote:

$37 for a single model that's not vehicle size or something is just absurd

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Cataphract posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a character kit with a bunch of bits so it can be built with other loadouts or as a KFF Mek maybe.

So I end up getting one guy and a bunch of spare stuff I may not be able to use. I get the concept, but if it's pushing the price up that high, I think it's time to release separate kits.

Of course, that'd cut into profit, as there'd be more parts (and packaging etc) to produce overall and people wouldn't be buying as many $37 kits... And it IS orks, so getting a bunch of spare parts is actually useful, but... It's still $37 for a single model. In a horde army, no less.

Well. Let's not have that conversation again.

Played part of an 1850 point game with my Tau vs some 30k mehreens, did not do as well as in the 1000 vs chaos. Dreadnoughts landed in pods and tore up my Hammerhead pretty quickly, and I hadn't packed a whole lot of other anti-armor. Whoops. Still, was fun, and if we hadn't have had to cut for sleep I might have been able to make a comeback.

I think I'll find room for a second hammerhead, though. Maybe drop a skyray for it. Possibly also switch one of my Crisis teams to have anti-armor guns. Maybe the flamer guys; flamers didn't seem as useful as I'd hoped.

I was running Farsight, 2x Skyray (all missiles), 1x Hammerhead (w/ submutions and missiles), 3x Remora drones, 3x Crisis teams (Two plasma/missiles, one dual flamers), and a Riptide (ion accelerator and missiles). Three shield drones on each Crisis squad, three marker droens on the rifle/missiles squads, three gun drones on the flamer squad, two shield/missile drones on the Riptide.

Any advice? I like Tau a lot.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

The new SAG model is cool, but not sufficiently different to distinguish much from the old metal one. I'll be trawling eBay for it, most likely.

The metal version is an absolute oval office to assemble.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I love how everything* of 40k is basically gone in Two Feet from Bread's SAmart thread.

*except tyranids

gently caress you, Nids are all sold!

I almost listed my person NIB Nids but I decided I might need 2 boxes of gaunts and another box of stealers to go with my 500 gaunts and 80 stealers... I have problems.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

I gotta say I'm impressed at how fast stuff was sold. Hope you made lots of juice money bread.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Esser-Z posted:

So I end up getting one guy and a bunch of spare stuff I may not be able to use. I get the concept, but if it's pushing the price up that high, I think it's time to release separate kits.

Err... it's orks. I don't think you get the concept if you say "spare stuff" and "I may not be able to use" in the same sentence (though I agree 37 is a touch high when the space marine commander boxset is 22).

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
gently caress I hate this hobby. I haven't been too excited about the new edition, I have 2000pts of Vostroyans to paint and I am looking at 55 metal Catachans that I shoulbnt by buying.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

LordAba posted:

Err... it's orks. I don't think you get the concept if you say "spare stuff" and "I may not be able to use" in the same sentence (though I agree 37 is a touch high when the space marine commander boxset is 22).
I mentioned that, actually, with orks I would be able to use it! But "it gives bits I can use!" is not an excuse for paying that much for a single figure. I might not have anything else left to build, for one.

But anyway, mini looks cool. Might try to get one or more sometime down the line if I can find them on sale or used.

Still wouldn't mind advice on the Tau stuff I talked about a couple posts up.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 10, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

gently caress I hate this hobby. I haven't been too excited about the new edition, I have 2000pts of Vostroyans to paint and I am looking at 55 metal Catachans that I shoulbnt by buying.

And here I am contemplating selling off my Space Marine stuff, a pair of Vindicators, a bunch of Scouts, a hand full of bikes, three or four dreads, a gently caress tonne of space marines and terminators, and a bunch of character models (and more I'm sure).

I'm keeping my orks because they are fun, but I don't know that I'd ever get around to the SM, between my Infinity stuff, Necromunda, and SAGA stuff. (Plus my various other misc minis that aren't even part of a game system).

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Big Willy Style posted:

That's life in the Guard for you :commissar:

Indolent Bastard posted:

And here I am contemplating selling off my Space Marine stuff, a pair of Vindicators, a bunch of Scouts, a hand full of bikes, three or four dreads, a gently caress tonne of space marines and terminators, and a bunch of character models (and more I'm sure).

I'm keeping my orks because they are fun, but I don't know that I'd ever get around to the SM, between my Infinity stuff, Necromunda, and SAGA stuff. (Plus my various other misc minis that aren't even part of a game system).
If you've got old stuff, well, you know :v:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

SRM posted:

That's life in the Guard for you :commissar:

If you've got old stuff, well, you know :v:

Some old(er) terminators, a bunch of "love my bolter" plastic marines, and probably a few other bits you might care about. I'm just trying to figure out if I should hold onto them because, well poo poo I already have them; or if I should accept my limitations (of ability and interest) and clear out some space.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Indolent Bastard posted:

Some old(er) terminators, a bunch of "love my bolter" plastic marines, and probably a few other bits you might care about. I'm just trying to figure out if I should hold onto them because, well poo poo I already have them; or if I should accept my limitations (of ability and interest) and clear out some space.

Clear some space. If you're not using something you're not using something, I sold a ton of my models last year, still have enough to play with and I don't really miss the models that aren't collecting dust.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'd be a buyer on some of that stuff as well, particularly if it's unpainted (or only primed).

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The metal version is an absolute oval office to assemble.

Really? I had to straight carve off whole metal chunks from my eBay rescue Gazgkhull just to get his torso to fit. :ohdear: It's hard for me to imagine a more loathsome substance to work with than finecast.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Sup. You can never have enough wheels for Orks. Wheels turn a collection of bits and plastic into something rad. Big Gunz for days, or Deffkoptas into Bikes.

Spiking of which, I really hope they make Deffkoptas better. They're cool, but suffer from just not being very good at anything. Be nice if they got one or two decent melee upgrades (besides the Buzzsaw) so you just ride forward hellbent for leather, Jinking the whole first turn, before smashing into the lines turn 2. As is, they can do that, but in my experience, if they don't win the first round of combat, they're just sorta flailing about until they fail a moral test. Not exactly good odds on their Hit and Run. They're pretty expensive, besides.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'd be a buyer on some of that stuff as well, particularly if it's unpainted (or only primed).

Everything is either bare plastic/metal, stripped (only small traces of paint left), or basecoat (not glopped on).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Direwolf posted:

Clear some space. If you're not using something you're not using something, I sold a ton of my models last year, still have enough to play with and I don't really miss the models that aren't collecting dust.

You say that, and there's certainly value in unloading stuff you're sure you're never going to use. However, when I got out of 40k back in 2004 I just boxed everything all up and stuck it in the garage. When 40k rolled back into vogue with my gaming group, I just unpacked 'em and started playing. So far I've invested $4 for glue to get my minis back into shape and I've been able to play just fine. Granted, I don't have a lot of the newer stuff. In particular I covet an air force for my Guard...a Vendetta or two would be nice. And there were some casualties over ten years. The box that had my Basilisks and Marine Dreads is missing and may have gotten thrown out at some point. :sigh:

Still, by having kept the majority of my minis I'm able to tap back into the hobby after a decade away with minimal fuss. And that's not bad at all.

• Locked thread