Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Woah that's pretty big. Might actually buy some digital manga now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Sadly just confirmed on Facebook the Viz Manga deal is only for the US and Canada.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you didn't immediately buy One Punch Man Vol. 1 & 2 then there's something fundamentally wrong with you.

EDIT: Here's a random chapter turned into a gif

So drat good.

And this is the protagonist

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 10, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you didn't immediately buy One Punch Man Vol. 1 & 2 then there's something fundamentally wrong with you.

I've got all the WSJ with them and I'm waiting for physical copies ):<

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Anime_Otaku posted:

Sadly just confirmed on Facebook the Viz Manga deal is only for the US and Canada.

Yeah Viz have a good selection of manga but international rights are always a mess.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I thought with the Amazon deal it'd be pretty easy, they already have kindle editions. Maybe each version needs it's own license.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Godammit, I just bought all of these at full price last week! But yeah, it's a really fun book and I'm excited to see where they're going with it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Anime_Otaku posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Both it and Food Wars, books I would by as digital BTB, are region locked (in the UK) even on the Kindle Store.

I can buy as much bullshit from the twin towers of concentrated comic awfulness that are Naruto and Bleach (and One Piece if I wanted to wash my mouth out with solid gold) but the moment you want something a little less poo poo from the Jump line out come the loving lawyers to make sure it's :filez: or bust.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 10, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sweet, I've been meaning to check out One-Punch man for a while. Is Blue Exorcist any good? The first volume's on sale for two bux.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I watched a little bit of the anime, it seemed fairly standard "kid-finds-out-he's-half-demon-then-fights-demons-using-demonic-powers" stuff

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Is Blue Exorcist any good? The first volume's on sale for two bux.

My ex likes the anime?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Has anyone bought any of the Viz stuff yet? I'm curious how well the "manga fixed format" works, especially on a smartphone.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
There's already Manga on Comixology. It works the same any other comicbook except they are based on unflipped versions of the books so you read them from right to left and next page is on the left.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I've always found the dedicated Viz app to be just fine on an iPad so no idea if I'll ever stop using it in favor of comiXology. Besides, it (and Yen Press) still takes iTunes cards for payment and I still have $330 in my account.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Ah, I missed the Fixed Format thing. If it's like the kindle app then it's not too bad, though guided view is definitely superior.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Agent Escalus posted:

I've always found the dedicated Viz app to be just fine on an iPad so no idea if I'll ever stop using it in favor of comiXology. Besides, it (and Yen Press) still takes iTunes cards for payment and I still have $330 in my account.

You better use that quick, when Amazon bought Comixology a lot of people got screwed out because they couldn't use their iTunes stuff any more.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Senor Candle posted:

You better use that quick, when Amazon bought Comixology a lot of people got screwed out because they couldn't use their iTunes stuff any more.

If I'm not mistaken, you could still use your iTunes account to purchase comics through each publisher's own app, though. Comixology licensed Viz's content, they didn't buy Viz outright as Amazon bought Comixology.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I still buy Marvel and Image comics using iTunes money through their respective apps. Nothing for DC, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Fatal Attractions does suck but the first volume does contain an amazing X-factor issue. The one in which they get analyzed.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sweet, I've been meaning to check out One-Punch man for a while. Is Blue Exorcist any good? The first volume's on sale for two bux.

It's not great, but if generic shonen doesn't make you roll your eyes you'll probably enjoy it. It's kinda like a not-as-good Yu Yu Hakusho.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
There's a sale with the fifty first issues of Fantastic Four, the Lee/Kirby stuff. As much as I didn't really feel like recommending their X-Men run because I felt it was a bit dated and less essential than Claremont/Byrne, I wholeheartedly recommend this one.
It sets up so many things still current in the MU. Where some older stuff might be corny in hindsight, it isn't the case here, there's really this specific sense of wonder, adventure and excitement you can find in some Silver Age comics.

There's also a sale on Waid's digital only trilogy. I'll give them a try because after his DD run, I'd try anything by Waid.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Would there be interest in a Marvel Unlimited discussion thread? Something like the Marvel General + X + Spider-Man threads, but six months behind, so we can talk about what's new to those of us who use MU. Seeing as we're only a month out from the recent round of MARVEL NOW #1s hitting unlimited, I think this would be a good time to do it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Test Pattern posted:

Would there be interest in a Marvel Unlimited discussion thread? Something like the Marvel General + X + Spider-Man threads, but six months behind, so we can talk about what's new to those of us who use MU. Seeing as we're only a month out from the recent round of MARVEL NOW #1s hitting unlimited, I think this would be a good time to do it.

It's a good idea, but I don't know that there a large contingent of people here who read weekly comics while only keeping up with Unlimited's release schedule. Could be wrong, though.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

PelvicNerve posted:

There's a sale with the fifty first issues of Fantastic Four, the Lee/Kirby stuff. As much as I didn't really feel like recommending their X-Men run because I felt it was a bit dated and less essential than Claremont/Byrne, I wholeheartedly recommend this one.
It sets up so many things still current in the MU. Where some older stuff might be corny in hindsight, it isn't the case here, there's really this specific sense of wonder, adventure and excitement you can find in some Silver Age comics.

There's also a sale on Waid's digital only trilogy. I'll give them a try because after his DD run, I'd try anything by Waid.

I was just going to mention these, anyone know how big the two packages are in total? I "only" have 2 gb left on my iPad before I need to start deleting things, though I should probably do that anyway. I've not read either one, the Fantastic Four one is not one I'm itching to get but the Waid trilogy seems interesting.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I'm pretty sure you could also just read all those Lee/Kirby F4 on MU if you just wanted to pay for a month.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a good idea, but I don't know that there a large contingent of people here who read weekly comics while only keeping up with Unlimited's release schedule. Could be wrong, though.

In my effort to save money I read weekly comics but only keep up with Unlimited's schedule. I'd definitely keep up with such a thread. Though it could easily fall off and get no traffic and I am in the extreme minority.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I'd be up for an Unlimited thread.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

sleepingbuddha posted:

I'd be up for an Unlimited thread.

Speaking of which, there's a new coupon code out - ODIN14 gets you one month for $4.99 from now until Sunday. Personally, I don't have time to take advantage of it this month, but I wonder if I can gift a one-month membership to myself to use later. What I'd really like is a code that would get me a year for about $50. None of the old MU codes are still good, right?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I'll make it this weekend and open it with Monday's batch.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
On consideration I put it up now: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643185

surc
Aug 17, 2004

So, I just got an android tablet. I downloaded comixology and am loving it so far, and I'm debating going for Marvel Unlimited.

Is there a general consensus on the best android .cbr reader? I see that "komik" is mentioned in the OP, is that pretty much the one to go with?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

surc posted:

So, I just got an android tablet. I downloaded comixology and am loving it so far, and I'm debating going for Marvel Unlimited.

Is there a general consensus on the best android .cbr reader? I see that "komik" is mentioned in the OP, is that pretty much the one to go with?

I've been using Perfect Viewer. I used Komik for a while but stopped for some reason (I want to say something to do with organization or UI). Comic Flow was ok but it really wanted to be paired with the database tool and I didn't care for that, and iirc it ran a bit slow. Perfect Viewer has solid organization (except for file management, which is basically zilch - if you want to delete more than one comic at a time you'll want a file browser or some other backup program to do it) and fast, solid reading/UI.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

surc posted:

I used Comic Rack which I liked because when you synced it with the PC app it was really great about keeping track of my place in various books and what I'd read or hadn't read. Getting the sync set up was a little bit fiddly but that was over a year ago and I have been on iPad/W8 since so I don't know if that's improved.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I use Perfect Viewer. It's the only one I've tried, but it's got absolutely everything I could want in a CBR reader and I've never felt the need to try anything else.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

ovaries posted:

I use Perfect Viewer. It's the only one I've tried, but it's got absolutely everything I could want in a CBR reader and I've never felt the need to try anything else.

Same here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you wanted to own all of Ultimate X-Men, for some reason, Comixology has the whole run up for $99.

As someone who just read that whole run of X-men....ehhhhhhhhh.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"Harley Quinn" sale https://www.comixology.com/Harley-Quinn-Sale/page/2299

The 2000-2004 Harley Quinn series, Gotham City Sirens, N52 Suicide Squad, Gotham Girls and a bunch of the Timm/Dini Batman Adventures comics incl Mad Love and Harley and Ivy.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 17, 2014

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Gotham City Sirens was pretty good though Harley didn't have a huge role most of the time, it was more of a Catwoman + 2 deal.
Also, it's not is the sale but I can't not recommend the 2014 run of Harley Quinn.
Are the Batman Adventure comics a series of one shots? I'm assuming that's the case as they don't seem to be in any kind of order or continuous. What about Suicide Squad, is that any good?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The four Ales Kot issues were pretty good (20-23)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Pretty safe to say it a good idea to avoid the Deadpool sale judging by the Deadpool thread's OP.