Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Blazing Ownager posted:

To be fair there is a spoiler warning at the start, but that part again had not started yet so if your plan is to shut it off before that, it won't work.

gently caress. Between South Park, the red avatar spoiling next week's episode, and this.. it's getting harder to avoid spoilers. I really can't wait until the show catches up with the books so the tables get turned.

Yeah but that 'spoiler' you mention is i) speculation at this point; and ii) the single most obvious thing in the entire series to deduce, given everything we were told and shown of Ned from the start. The only way not to have arrived at that conclusion would be if you turned your brain off completely.

Seriously, are you really saying you've never spent a second's thought on *that* subject and wondered if there was more to it? drat, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's weird to send two of your most respected leaders, Tormund and Styr, in the front lines of a scouting mission. Especially since they were probably expecting there to be way more crows than they actually had.

How loving awesome was that guy getting blasted off the wall by the giant arrow? This show is cool.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Woden posted:

Iron Bank getting trolled into paying for two wars that can't be paid for would be hilarious.

Iron Bank's gonna need a bailout from the Fed

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Season five is gonna be all about external finance reform inside the Iron Bank coupled with power plays at the vacuum the CEO created when he left the company to live out his wealth in Thailand

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Mr Beens posted:

(or wife)

Glad I'm not the only person who thought this.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't see why anyone would want to rule or live in Westeros at all. Maybe the iron bank is like the IMF where they loan money to screw ups in hopes they stop being so stupid. Maybe they like cold beer and plan on enslaving the ice babies into powering coolers.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Elephanthead posted:

I don't see why anyone would want to rule or live in Westeros at all. Maybe the iron bank is like the IMF where they loan money to screw ups in hopes they stop being so stupid. Maybe they like cold beer and plan on enslaving the ice babies into powering coolers.

Because if you have to live in the poo poo that is Westeros you might as well be on top of the pile

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

The Duggler posted:

Because if you have to live in the poo poo that is Westeros you might as well be on top of the pile

I think i'd rather be a lesser lord than king.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Duggler posted:

If I lived in Westeros I'd probably just find a dark cave somewhere and be a hermit. gently caress literally everyone.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

PantsBandit posted:

gently caress literally everyone.

That was Oberyn's strategy and look what happened :smith:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

peer posted:

That was Oberyn's strategy and look what happened :smith:

I dunno, man. Seems like that guy's really blown up recently.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The lovely thing about living in Westeros is that, by the odds, we'd probably all be destitute peasants in the Riverlands than a noble in a prestigious House.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

PantsBandit posted:

It's weird to send two of your most respected leaders, Tormund and Styr, in the front lines of a scouting mission. Especially since they were probably expecting there to be way more crows than they actually had.

Remember that Tormund lost what seemed like half his men when part of the wall sheered off during the climb. Not to mention Jon and the direwolves thinning that group out further, including their warg.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Also remember that Tormund is a badass and doesn't give a gently caress

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Lovechop posted:

Given the way Ygritte constantly mouths off to Tormund and Styr I wouldnt really consider them respected leaders, she showed more deference to the Lord of Bones. Thorne pillar tanked Tormund easily until he got gut shot and Styr acted more like shocktroops than leaders.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

I don't see why anyone would want to rule or live in Westeros at all.

Have you ever eaten at the Crossroads Inn? My friend you are in for a treat! The gravy is to die for and the wolf bread? Cutest baked good ever! Man, ever since that whole nasty war business this place has been jumping!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

No More Heroes posted:

Given the way Ygritte constantly mouths off to Tormund and Styr I wouldnt really consider them respected leaders, she showed more deference to the Lord of Bones. Thorne pillar tanked Tormund easily until he got gut shot and Styr acted more like shocktroops than leaders.

They didn't get it across very well in the show but Wildling society doesn't have 'leaders'. It's more that Wildlings attach themselves to really fearesome warriors or successful raiders. Guys like Tormund and Styr don't demand respect like Alliser does, they earn their leadership roles by being the first over the walls.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Just hope the op realizes Gren isnt always seen looking stupid after the last episode.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Blazing Ownager posted:

If you have braincells to add 2+2 DO NOT watch the Stark PT2 video. HUGE motherfucking spoiler, before the part where spoilers were supposed to happen. Holy fuckballs I'm kind of mad I watched any of that now, despite finding a ton of the stuff really awesome back story. That was just a ... massive, massive oversight.

A spoiler on what the spoiler was:
It basically spells out who Jon Snow's mother is.

If you're referring to R+L=J technically that's not a spoiler it's still just speculation since it's not been confirmed by any of the books. Still it's one of those theories that makes so much sense that it might as well be a spoiler. Still anyone who claims to know who Jon's mother is really isn't spoiling anything, unless that person is George R.R. Martin.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Maarak posted:

Remember that Tormund lost what seemed like half his men when part of the wall sheered off during the climb. Not to mention Jon and the direwolves thinning that group out further, including their warg.

Another thing is that they were initially intended to be an actual (if small) attacking force who'd take the garrison by surprise while they were distracted by everything going on in front of the wall. For something like that you'd want a leader that is capable of acting smartly and independently, especially since it was the Wildling's quickest and easiest shot at getting through. But then Jon ran off and warned everyone and so they were kinda screwed before the fight even began.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Lovechop posted:

Unless your name is Sheila and you are really soft down there.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

CuddleChunks posted:

Have you ever eaten at the Crossroads Inn? My friend you are in for a treat! The gravy is to die for and the wolf bread? Cutest baked good ever! Man, ever since that whole nasty war business this place has been jumping!

Yelp reviewers love Hot Pie, the new sous chef

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Gianthogweed posted:

If you're referring to R+L=J technically that's not a spoiler it's still just speculation since it's not been confirmed by any of the books. Still it's one of those theories that makes so much sense that it might as well be a spoiler. Still anyone who claims to know who Jon's mother is really isn't spoiling anything, unless that person is George R.R. Martin.

It should still be considered a book spoiler because it's speculation based on stuff that hasn't been mentioned in the show.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Gianthogweed posted:

It turns out Ygritte was Jons mom, which is why shes real good at teaching him stuff and why shes so conflicted about killing him.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

It should still be considered a book spoiler because it's speculation based on stuff that hasn't been mentioned in the show.

It is, just assuaging the thought that a huge part of the series was ruined. It is not a good thing for a show watcher to read, and thus not applicable for this thread, but it's still speculation - just based mostly on book material from the second book that wasn't put in the show (yet?) for some reason.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

I like this show and I thought this episode was okay. I don't think everyone who didn't enjoy it are trolls. I enjoy reading different different people's subjective reactions and opinions to the game of the thrones. I wish some posters didn't feel the need to shout at people for not liking this episode. Watch some sesame street or something and learn to see the world as a beautiful rainbow of different perspectives.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Darko posted:

It is, just assuaging the thought that a huge part of the series was ruined. It is not a good thing for a show watcher to read, and thus not applicable for this thread, but it's still speculation - just based mostly on book material from the second book that wasn't put in the show (yet?) for some reason.

I thought that it was brought up in the show since they mention
Lyanna Stark was kidnapped by Prince Rhaegar, and caused them to go to war. When Ned returned he had Jon Snow, so it could be easily assumed.

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.
So what is the big secret about that in the context of the story, show or otherwise? Is it because R+L banged before they were married? L was his betrothed and he wasn't married to C yet so who cares? Why not bring J home and be like, "Yo R, look what you made". Why the big secret from R and from the world? And wouldn't that make J a stag, technically? And provided Stannis goes to the Wall, like the show is suggesting he will, won't Melisandre's 'royal blood diving rod' go off the charts when she meets J? OH MY GOD WITH THE ABBREVIATIONS. I'm just spoilering this because, again, I hate to speculate in case poo poo comes true and comes across spoilery.

qxx fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 10, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

qxx posted:

So what is the big secret about that in the context of the story, show or otherwise? Is it because R+L banged before they were married? L was his betrothed and he wasn't married C yet. So why not bring J home and be like, "Yo R, look what you made".

I think you are getting the characters confused. The R was the mad king's son and L was Ned Starks sister. If that is the case then he would have a claim to the throne.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 10, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

bobkatt013 posted:

The R was the mad king
That's wrong. It was his son.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

It turns out Ygritte was Jons mom, which is why shes real good at teaching him stuff and why shes so conflicted about killing him.

Which explains why she wanted them to stay in the cave. The "cave" actually being her womb. She wanted Jon to stay in her womb.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

I think you are getting the characters confused. The R was the mad king and L was Ned Starks daughter. If that is the case then he would have a claim to the throne.

This is a very dangerous conversation and if anyone has any questions about this topic, PM one of us dudes in the OP or go to the no-spoiler book thread. It has no business here.

On topic, I enjoyed how the fight between Jon and Styr was like, 100 times better than Oberyn and Gregor's fight.

Max fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 10, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

qxx posted:

So what is the big secret about that in the context of the story, show or otherwise? Is it because R+L banged before they were married? L was his betrothed and he wasn't married to C yet so who cares? Why not bring J home and be like, "Yo R, look what you made". Why the big secret from R and from the world? And wouldn't that make J a stag, technically? And provided Stannis goes to the Wall, like the show is suggesting he will, won't Melisandre's 'royal blood diving rod' go off the charts when she meets J? OH MY GOD WITH THE ABBREVIATIONS. I'm just spoilering this because, again, I hate to speculate in case poo poo comes true and comes across spoilery.

DO NOT LOOK AT THIS SPOILER FOR ANY drat REASON IF YOU DON'T WANT A SPOIL, K? THIS IS JUST SPECULATION BUT MANY FANS OF THE BOOKS BELIEVE IT TO BE TRUE.

Lyanna was betrothed to Robert but she was really in love with Rhaegar. Rhaegar also loved her back, which is why he stole her away from Robert. Robert and the Starks got mad at this, claimed she was kidnapped, and then started Robert's rebellion. When Ned Stark showed up at the Tower of Joy where Lyanna was being kept and slew the kingsguard guarding her, she gave him Jon to take home before she died. Jon is the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar. Robert despises all things Targaeryan so Ned kept Jon's noble birth a secret, claiming him as his own bastard.

Melisandre's visions and royal blood divining rod are uncertain at best, and she admits to that. In the books she sees something in Jon but isn't quite sure what.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Max posted:

On topic, I enjoyed how the fight between Jon and Styr was like, 100 times better than Oberyn and Gregor's fight

Real fights arent anything like on TV anyways and are more akin to MMA grappling.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

No More Heroes posted:

Real fights arent anything like on TV anyways and are more akin to MMA grappling.

OK sure, but it was still vastly more entertaining. And the camera actually seemed to follow the action.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I don't understand, I really liked the Mountain and Oberyn's fight. Guess I'm in the minority but it was pretty sweet. Maybe the tense dialogue is what really got me.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

PantsBandit posted:

How loving awesome was that guy getting blasted off the wall by the giant arrow? This show is cool.

It's a society where you get to be a respected leader by going in first and leading. The first guy in the front lines is almost by definition the respected leader.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

No More Heroes posted:

Real fights are two guys working themselves up to actually go and kill each other, a bunch of tentative parrying, then one kills the other almost immediately. Real sword fighting in the ancient world was pretty boring.

an skeleton posted:

I don't understand, I really liked the Mountain and Oberyn's fight. Guess I'm in the minority but it was pretty sweet. Maybe the tense dialogue is what really got me.

It was pretty awesome. Started slow and silly with the Mountain one handing his sword but then Oberyn's spear spinning made it sweet.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

an skeleton posted:

I liked it too. Oberyns twirly whirly spear technique kicked rear end until he got punked. I wouldn't start comparing fight scenes though. Different circumstances, tensions, backgrounds, directors, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I wasn't following these threads back when Ygritte shot Jon 3 times as he escaped, so I missed any discussion on that, but this past episode has rekindled some confusion in my head. It seemed like right before Jon went all double-agent on them that Ygritte was basically saying that she knew that he will always be a crow was and that the two of them were all that mattered and blah blah blah. So why did she shoot him and stay with the wildlings? Was it simply that her love for her identity as a wildling tipped the scales away from her love for Jon? Was she dead serious when threatening the rest of the wildlings regarding her having the first crack at Jon, or was she buying time and literally waiting until she came face-to-face to decide what she was going to do?

Also, every time I see Dolorous Edd I get confused and initially think it's Bronn.

• Locked thread