Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i know this is the pos but please dont troll, i really could use some good advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

St Evan Echoes posted:

what's the least terrible version control product that will integrate into vs2012?

ahnksvn

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i never understood vcs integration into an ide. what's the point?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i am awful and will go too long w out committing if i have to do more than click button and comment

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

people are lazy i guess

personally i don't trust any of it except maybe a checkout. command line is fine for small commits and for larger ones i'll just use sourcetree. speaking of which i've finally started using jira for the first time and based on the small time i've spent with it, i loving hate it compared to pivotal

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

double sulk posted:

speaking of which i've finally started using jira for the first time and based on the small time i've spent with it, i loving hate it compared to pivotal

jira is a bug tracker. over the years it has grown so many features, like a tumor, that people try to use it for everything.

my current employer is using jira, the bug tracker, for:
  • helpdesk ticketing
  • operations ticketing
  • incident response
  • agile sprint planning
  • bug tracking
  • maintenance notification

guess which of these it's actually good at

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

jira is a bug tracker. over the years it has grown so many features, like a tumor, that people try to use it for everything.

• helpdesk ticketing
  • operations ticketing
  • incident response
  • agile sprint planning
  • bug tracking

current company uses it for deployment

it should take about half a sec to kick off some automated file copy crap but no i have to spend like 5 minutes creating tickets, sub tickets, clicking button, waiting for someone o the other end to respond

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i use redmine its p sw8 even though its ruby

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

we're using vault at my company haha it's pretty seamless tho

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

• helpdesk ticketing
  • operations ticketing
  • incident response
  • agile sprint planning
  • bug tracking

we have 6 systems for those 6 functions, is that better?

the answer is no (because i have to use remedy sometimes)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

we have 6 systems for those 6 functions, is that better?

the answer is no (because i have to use remedy sometimes)

remedy doesn't do a good job of any of those functions

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

luckily my interaction with remedy is minimal. from what i can tell ops has to use it a lot

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah whats the point of an integrated development environment?

better to have a non-working text editor and a pile of poo poo piss scripts that don't work instead. that's the linux philosophy at work.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

• helpdesk ticketing
  • operations ticketing
  • incident response
  • agile sprint planning
  • bug tracking

its good at all of them if you write the workflows. jira is pretty great. its super nice to be able to have a support ticket for a bug that is linked to a development ticket to fix it so everything is all nicely tied 2gether.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
jira is as good as the effort you put into configuring it. if you have customized workflows/ticket types/etc for your process, ti's wonderful. if you use all the stock tools without any amount of thought to, "what do we actually need?" it's poo poo.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

double sulk posted:

people are lazy i guess

I use some plugin that lets me just highlight code and blame or link to that code in github. That's really cool.

I handcraft my bespoke commits on the command line, ofc.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

better to have a non-working text editor and a pile of poo poo piss scripts that don't work instead. that's the linux philosophy at work.

Linux is the ide

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
:barf:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

HTML5 posted:

we're using vault at my company haha it's pretty seamless tho

haha I had to use vault before

what a piece of garbage

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

i have intellij, i just find the vcs integration to be less-good than using git's lovely interface directly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
intellij is bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
eclipse's subversion integration isn't the best, but its way better than intellij's. vs has the best subversion integration which I think is probably irony but im not sure.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

ssh..shaggar was wrong??

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

eclipse's subversion integration isn't the best, but its way better than intellij's. vs has the best subversion integration which I think is probably irony but im not sure.

it's impossible to gently caress up svn integration. svn is plumb simple

git is v. difficult to use with the native interface. i don't find ide integration makes that problem better.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
don't use git.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
git was invented by Linux torvaldos so he and the rest of his open soresers could do commits while they were off in the 3rd world with no internet. its not meant for use by normal people in normal places where theres internet all the time.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

git was invented by Linux torvaldos so he and the rest of his open soresers could do commits while they were off in the 3rd world with no internet. its not meant for use by normal people in normal places where theres internet all the time.

...nope

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
a gitiot abroad

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Git? more like poo poo! lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Citizen Tayne posted:

Git? more like poo poo! lol

how subversive!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have intellij, i just find the vcs integration to be less-good than using git's lovely interface directly

i think I'm the only one other than linus & the new git maintainer who prefers git cli. and the intellij vcs integration is very svn-focused. local history, shelve, changelists, these all make sense for an svn integration (poo poo changelists are an svn feature) but make no sense w/git. still, intellij gets the basic poo poo right like showing changed lines. i can live with using the cli for actual vcs operations

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I use the git cli daily and I think it's terrible.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
whats the git cli

if you have to use more complicated git commands than git stash, git stash pop, git add ., git commit -m, git pull --rebase, and git push, you're making your life to complicated

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

VS2013 tries to add value, there is a video where they show working on a project: receiving a bug then the IDE saves the workspace and creates a clean copy to checkout the release revision, fixes the bug and commits, then reverts to the old workspace.

Shelveset it is apparently called. I guess its a visual git stash?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

whats the git cli

if you have to use more complicated git commands than git stash, git stash pop, git add ., git commit -m, git pull --rebase, and git push, you're making your life to complicated

haha yeah let's just not branch and merge

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

chmods please posted:

haha yeah let's just not branch and merge

i merge every time i do a git pull --rebase

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
and a branch every time i do a git stash

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i merge every time i do a git pull --rebase

thats actually not a merge though

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

thats actually not a merge though

that's why it's better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

git it totally unintuitive and its ridiculous the lengths people go to convince you "oh you just don't *get* the brilliance of it" but its actually quite poo poo for actual human beings, much like linus's other creation.

• Locked thread