Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Mikojan posted:

having Horus return from the warp and casually mention in a few lines that he has been waging war with demons for like centuries amongst loving gods of chaos, but its no big deal really

If anything (other than the Emperor's activities) in the Heresy series cried out for more, it would be this. How do you just drop something like that in a couple lines and leave it? Aside from all the action, I think it would explain the genesis of the Primarchs as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Saving that bit for another book probably.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Vadoc posted:

Saving that bit for another book probably.

Hopefully also a better author. John French does good with the metaphysical, let him have a crack at it.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I don't know ADB did a really good job with Aurelian. However ADB in general does very good things with anything.

Does the Cain books ever change anything up? I read 2 books and so far it has been "Cain is not a hero, Cain does something heroic indirectly, the day is saved from tyranids/necrons/<insert x>!".

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've read a Ciaphas Cain novel, only realizing that I'd read it before when I got to the 200th page. They're enjoyable books but the formula seems to be pretty set. I don't know if they're any different after Cain's Last Stand or what have you though.

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.
Cain stays roughly the same. It's been awhile since I read them, but I read them one after another, and they stay about the same. But I, personally, loved them for it. It was formulaic, sure, and "If I had known then what I know now, I'd have shot myself out of the nearest airlock" shtick happens a lot, but they are so fun.

I think it is the fourth book when he runs into a commissar who went to school with him, and is set out to prove to everyone Cain is really a coward and a traitor. I don't remember what Cain did to turn the tables, but I remember I actually laughed out loud.

I have to go reread them sometime.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Impaired Casing posted:

Cain stays roughly the same. It's been awhile since I read them, but I read them one after another, and they stay about the same. But I, personally, loved them for it. It was formulaic, sure, and "If I had known then what I know now, I'd have shot myself out of the nearest airlock" shtick happens a lot, but they are so fun.

I think it is the fourth book when he runs into a commissar who went to school with him, and is set out to prove to everyone Cain is really a coward and a traitor. I don't remember what Cain did to turn the tables, but I remember I actually laughed out loud.

I have to go reread them sometime.

Was that Commissar Beije?

As I remember it, it eventually wound up with Cain disobeying orders on a hunch regarding the location of chaos, which turned out to be right. When Beije tried to get him convicted at a Commissar Court, the Lord Commissar acquitted Cain and slammed Beije for incompetence. Alls well that ends well. Also wound up becoming a minor religious figure in the mythology of Beije's regiment.

Also yeah, the Cain series aren't my go-to for nail biting suspense, but they make for some fun reads.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 9, 2014

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
They all follow the same formula, but should be noted that the idea is Cain is indeed a hero not far removed from how the Imperium deems him to be, but he holds himself to unrealistic standards and is highly self-critical in his memoirs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I enjoy the Cain novels because with all the "raaaargh grimdarkgrimgrimdarkdark only war :black101:" that keeps going on with the rest of the books it's refreshing to read something lighter in a sense and more entertaining occasionally as a palate cleanser.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

That and, like the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books, it shows more of the day to day lives of Imperial citizens. That one scene where Cain, a retired Guard general, a Sister of Battle, and a dude from the Administratum are playing space poker was one of my favorite scenes simply because of the ordinariness of it.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
I started off with the Cain novels. I wish they had another semi lighthearted series.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
I kinda wonder how well a book that focuses on the day to day lives of imperial citizens would do. I'm guessing it would have its fans but wouldn't sell enough for black library ever considering doing it ever again.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I kinda wonder how well a book that focuses on the day to day lives of imperial citizens would do. I'm guessing it would have its fans but wouldn't sell enough for black library ever considering doing it ever again.

That book would be a single sheet of paper, with "Praise the Emperor and turn the page!" written on both sides.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

jng2058 posted:

That and, like the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books, it shows more of the day to day lives of Imperial citizens. That one scene where Cain, a retired Guard general, a Sister of Battle, and a dude from the Administratum are playing space poker was one of my favorite scenes simply because of the ordinariness of it.

My favourite part of that book was probably Cain discovering that the Administratum guy was sleeping with one of the higher rank Sisters of Battle and his reaction was just (I think) either being impressed by the guy or somewhat nonplussed.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Not well, I presume. I mean the type of "literature" types who read modern day "slice of life" books aren't ever going to consider a 40k book, and 40k fans aren't, for the most part, going to be all that thrilled by a book that doesn't have some kind of action or mystery element to it.

But that still leaves a lot of room. Trailing a newbie Imperial Inquisitor around could be fun. Not one of the really established, have a powerful retinue can take the cases I want and delegate the rest types. But a guy or gal in his or her first year who's out on their own for the first time getting spoon fed the poo poo cases that better Inquisitors don't think matter? Someone like that could have a very "PI on their own" feel and let you root around in the grimy underbelly of the Imperium...or the glittering but corrupt upper crust...without having to interrupt the story with Chaos Marines and Daemonhosts.

Or, hell, life and times of some Adeptus Arbites dealing with crime on a street level.

Homicide: Life in the Hive.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
There've been a few short stories about life for non-military types though. There's one called Ancient History that Andy Chambers wrote and it's about a guy who gets press ganged into working in the underbelly of an Imperial ship. It's in Dark Imperium, an old short story collection.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

jng2058 posted:

Not well, I presume. I mean the type of "literature" types who read modern day "slice of life" books aren't ever going to consider a 40k book, and 40k fans aren't, for the most part, going to be all that thrilled by a book that doesn't have some kind of action or mystery element to it.

But that still leaves a lot of room. Trailing a newbie Imperial Inquisitor around could be fun. Not one of the really established, have a powerful retinue can take the cases I want and delegate the rest types. But a guy or gal in his or her first year who's out on their own for the first time getting spoon fed the poo poo cases that better Inquisitors don't think matter? Someone like that could have a very "PI on their own" feel and let you root around in the grimy underbelly of the Imperium...or the glittering but corrupt upper crust...without having to interrupt the story with Chaos Marines and Daemonhosts.

Or, hell, life and times of some Adeptus Arbites dealing with crime on a street level.

I still want ADB to write his proposed duology about the founding of a new space marine chapter and their first battles.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

jng2058 posted:

I uh.... I started writing that Inquisitor story, though I started with the poor bastard as an acolyte first.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

I can't remember which book it was, but in one of the Ravenor stories he sends Patience Kys undercover into the beaurocratic nightmare of the administratum. Abnett really nailed the soul crushing feel of thousands of people trudging through worn streets to grind in a monolithic building of toil, endlessly tapping information into a system that doesn't care.

I'm not sure how Office Space works in 40k.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Hey nerds have some wallpapers http://imgur.com/a/Cg5FF#pxAKJ9p

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Fried Chicken posted:

I still want ADB to write his proposed duology about the founding of a new space marine chapter and their first battles.

It sounded awesome to me too. :smith:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

What's with the Space Marine in Tau colors fighting the Tyranids? Is that an actual story?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Shadowhand00 posted:

What's with the Space Marine in Tau colors fighting the Tyranids? Is that an actual story?

No, a guy on deviantart created the power armor there as an idea for guardsman power armor. His backstory was a member of the mechanicum designed it, got executed for heresy, the tau found the designs when they took the planet, and stated making it for the humans that had joined them. This got picked up by the wider 40k deviant art community into stuff like that.

I'd have to dig up the profile of the artist who made it, but he's a pro who does art design/SFX for video games, TV, and movies. I learned about him because I have a friend who does SFX and linked me the guys page.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Fried Chicken posted:

No, a guy on deviantart created the power armor there as an idea for guardsman power armor. His backstory was a member of the mechanicum designed it, got executed for heresy, the tau found the designs when they took the planet, and stated making it for the humans that had joined them. This got picked up by the wider 40k deviant art community into stuff like that.

I'd have to dig up the profile of the artist who made it, but he's a pro who does art design/SFX for video games, TV, and movies. I learned about him because I have a friend who does SFX and linked me the guys page.

Wait, those are deviantarts? I thought for sure they were official pieces. :vince:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JerryLee posted:

Wait, those are deviantarts? I thought for sure they were official pieces. :vince:

Some of those images are official from games or book covers but the brown marine with the cutouts on his right shoulder fighting with the tau is fan made

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

jng2058 posted:

The Shira Calpurnia series is actually exactly that, and I loved them. Even in the second and third books when it drifts away from Shira were great because it concentrated on the lives of a Rogue Trader and the system's astropaths.

iminay
Dec 18, 2012

Dog_Meat posted:

I can't remember which book it was, but in one of the Ravenor stories he sends Patience Kys undercover into the beaurocratic nightmare of the administratum. Abnett really nailed the soul crushing feel of thousands of people trudging through worn streets to grind in a monolithic building of toil, endlessly tapping information into a system that doesn't care.

I'm not sure how Office Space works in 40k.

Pretty sure that was in the second book, Ravenor Returned

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

These are great, thanks for posting!

vv Also great!

Frankly fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 11, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Here's the guy I mentioned did that stuff http://ukitakumuki.deviantart.com/

Like I said, he's a pro

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Any more Skaven books apart from the Grey Seer Thanquol series? I love the furry little bastards. Hell, are here any more plans for more glorious Thanquol without that dumb dwarf-thing and man-thing interfering?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

I think there's also another ravenor one that deals with an accountant for an auction house finding a number that doesn't exist in his accounts. He eventually takes it to the Arbites and I can't remember what happens but there was a fair chunk of slice of life type stuff.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

I think there's also another ravenor one that deals with an accountant for an auction house finding a number that doesn't exist in his accounts. He eventually takes it to the Arbites and I can't remember what happens but there was a fair chunk of slice of life type stuff.

Are you talking about the one where the guy is creating fake IDs for former residents of Ferrozoica? Not Ravenor, but sounds familiar.

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...

Kegslayer posted:

Sounds alot like the audio drama Master Imus's Transgression, which is about Eisenhorn when he was still an interrogator. I really like the story, and it has another similar story about Eisenhorn that I also like bundled with it, called Regia Occulta.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

Any more Skaven books apart from the Grey Seer Thanquol series? I love the furry little bastards. Hell, are here any more plans for more glorious Thanquol without that dumb dwarf-thing and man-thing interfering?

Outside of the Gotrek and Felix/Thanquol books, Vermintide, Headtaker, and some short stories from collections are all that come to mind. I read Vermintide some time ago, but honestly can't remember that much about it.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Khadhul posted:

Sounds alot like the audio drama Master Imus's Transgression, which is about Eisenhorn when he was still an interrogator. I really like the story, and it has another similar story about Eisenhorn that I also like bundled with it, called Regia Occulta.

Yeah I think that's the one. It came as a set of three audio stories.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I've got that one, though the third story was an audio version of "Thorn Wishes Talon", which I'd read in the past. It was interesting to hear the voices they'd assigned to characters I already had voices for in my head.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
I started out with the Cain novels a few years ago which is what got me interested in this thread and now I've read the Eisenhorn & Nightlords trilogy because of the OP recommendation(and really enjoyed them both).

I don't suppose outside of Deff Skwadron that there is much media with the Orks as a focus? I mean, I suppose they might be kind of a one-note joke but I always enjoyed their fluff in the game & thought a book (or at least some short stories) written from their bizarre perspective might be fun to read.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Bob Quixote posted:

I started out with the Cain novels a few years ago which is what got me interested in this thread and now I've read the Eisenhorn & Nightlords trilogy because of the OP recommendation(and really enjoyed them both).

I don't suppose outside of Deff Skwadron that there is much media with the Orks as a focus? I mean, I suppose they might be kind of a one-note joke but I always enjoyed their fluff in the game & thought a book (or at least some short stories) written from their bizarre perspective might be fun to read.

There's Engine of mork
http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/engine_of_mork.html

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Black Library covers are usually really nice, but that's literally a blacked out silhouette of the plastic Stompa kit. Dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

One Legged Cat posted:

The Shira Calpurnia series is actually exactly that, and I loved them. Even in the second and third books when it drifts away from Shira were great because it concentrated on the lives of a Rogue Trader and the system's astropaths.

I've tracked down a copy of the omnibus and have started reading it. Thanks for the recommendation, I hadn't heard of these books at all!