Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

My chickens started clucking so I figured I'd cluck too, they look at me funny now.

e: egg time is approaching :dance:

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Shifty Nipples posted:

My chickens started clucking so I figured I'd cluck too, they look at me funny now.

e: egg time is approaching :dance:

you have me laughing so hard I have tears rolling down my cheeks. I can just see and hear it now. ahahahahaha

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The Rat--I'm betting rooboy on the very pretty black bird.

:ohdear: I hope not, but them's the odds. I keep comparing him to pictures of his father at that age (around this time last year, coincidentally), but I don't know what to look for with regards to sexing them.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Lost my first chicken today.

We got a new dog. The chickens were out of their run, clucking around the far end of the yard, and I let the dog out and was trying to keep an eye on him because he's been peeing in the house and I didn't want him to wait inside while I gathered up the hens. The hens were staying away from him until I tried to get the last one back into the coop, and River decided that rather than be caught she'd just take off across the yard.

He caught her before I caught him, and he didn't even kill her quickly. She died ten minutes later and there was nothing I could do for her.

The worst part is that I know it's my fault and I'm really angry at myself about it because you guys have had enough dog trouble in this thread that I should have known better and kept him inside.

I'm sorry :(

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I'll be damned one of my "hens" has started crowing.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:( Condolences, Faerunner.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

I'm sorry about your hen, Faerunner. Everyone has had 'learning' experiences' of some sort like that where they felt they should have known better. We've all been there.

The Rat--I'd look for the shiny, longer, backwards-pointing, spikey head feathers on your bird, that's the first sure sign of Silkie rooboys I've seen in mine.

Shifty Nipples, some hens DO crow...but usually it's single birds kept alone of hens going through a hormonal shift. Got a picture?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I'm sorry about your hen, Faerunner. Everyone has had 'learning' experiences' of some sort like that where they felt they should have known better. We've all been there.

The Rat--I'd look for the shiny, longer, backwards-pointing, spikey head feathers on your bird, that's the first sure sign of Silkie rooboys I've seen in mine.

Shifty Nipples, some hens DO crow...but usually it's single birds kept alone of hens going through a hormonal shift. Got a picture?

It's the big white fluffball in these pics, but I can get a better picture the next time I go out there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417601&userid=113963#post429780677

The first thing I did was google whether hens would crow so I know it's not completely odd or anything, it's just a little obnoxious.

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 9, 2014

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Looked closer at the pics. Yup, rooster.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I have so many chickens.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do then as it's illegal to have roosters in the city, and I want eggs not crowing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shifty Nipples posted:

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do then as it's illegal to have roosters in the city, and I want eggs not crowing.

Eat him or give him away to somebody on craigslist. Those are pretty much your only options in your case from the sound of it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I'm not sure either. We have two roosters already, and even though it's technically illegal in the city, the land we're on is grandfathered in. And in over a year of having them, no one has complained.

Well that's not true. One of the neighbors complained to us about Tetrazzini's crow, but only because he sounds like such a goober when he does it, and not a proper manly rooster.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Our Rodger is like that, his crow starts off fine and then turns into a dying-man croak at the end. I've discovered I also HAVE to lock him in at night because otherwise he gets up and starts croaking loudly at exactly 3:30am. Sometimes he gets up before I've even gone to bed!

On the subject of dogs, we lost Comanche :( She was my favourite too... It was my own fault, I let them out and then locked them back in, then I was out there for an hour washing the area and didn't see her at all, but when I went out later she was just lying in the middle of the patio...

Surprise and several of the black ones are confirmed roosters, pretty sure we have at least 4 already.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Aw, Nettle :(

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

Never run from anything immortal. It attracts their attention.
My housemates built a coop in our back yard and we now have six pullets. They are adorable. Five of them are Red Sex-link, and one is an oddball who was put in the wrong pen at the feed store. She is a bantam hen, and from what I can tell, appears to be a red-laced Wyandotte. Despite being half the size of the others, she is apparently Queen Hen of the Universe, and bosses the others a bit.

We are trying to settle on names.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

bitter almond posted:

My housemates built a coop in our back yard and we now have six pullets. They are adorable. Five of them are Red Sex-link, and one is an oddball who was put in the wrong pen at the feed store. She is a bantam hen, and from what I can tell, appears to be a red-laced Wyandotte. Despite being half the size of the others, she is apparently Queen Hen of the Universe, and bosses the others a bit.

We are trying to settle on names.

Pictures first.

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Nettle Soup posted:

Our Rodger is like that, his crow starts off fine and then turns into a dying-man croak at the end. I've discovered I also HAVE to lock him in at night because otherwise he gets up and starts croaking loudly at exactly 3:30am. Sometimes he gets up before I've even gone to bed!

On the subject of dogs, we lost Comanche :( She was my favourite too... It was my own fault, I let them out and then locked them back in, then I was out there for an hour washing the area and didn't see her at all, but when I went out later she was just lying in the middle of the patio...

Surprise and several of the black ones are confirmed roosters, pretty sure we have at least 4 already.

Oh no. :( I'm so sorry, Nettle. *hugs*

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Guess we found a store that will take my rooster and if that doesn't work out we'll try craigslist. I don't have it in me to dispatch vertebrates up close and personal.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Shifty Nipples posted:

Guess we found a store that will take my rooster and if that doesn't work out we'll try craigslist. I don't have it in me to dispatch vertebrates up close and personal.

If he's sweet and tame it's points in his favor...if you advertise make sure and mention that.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Gipsy Danger didn't come in last night to be shut in the coop with the rest of the flock. Searched around, found nothing. Today found her, but headless. Seems like the raccoons are starting to come out again. Jerks.

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

This is my Head Pullet. Some chicken people said she looks like a white-laced red Cornish bantam. I looked them up, and yup.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

The Rat posted:

Gipsy Danger didn't come in last night to be shut in the coop with the rest of the flock. Searched around, found nothing. Today found her, but headless. Seems like the raccoons are starting to come out again. Jerks.

ohmygosh... The Rat, I'm so sorry for your loss... I can't imagine walking up to a situation like that. :sympathy:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

The Rat posted:

Jesus Christ :stare:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Time to get a big dog + gun I guess.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The Rat posted:

Aw, Hell.. :( Keep an eye out, raccoons like to tell their friends and come back.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

So sorry to hear that. :(

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

thatbastardken posted:

Dogs seem to like to kill chickens too though! If you go by what people post here. :(

Best to put out a trap and catch that raccoon ASAP! That 'coon WILL be back! They're very smart critters and they love easy sources of food.

The Rat: sorry to hear about Gipsy Danger. :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Inveigle posted:

Dogs seem to like to kill chickens too though! If you go by what people post here. :(

Best to put out a trap and catch that raccoon ASAP! That 'coon WILL be back! They're very smart critters and they love easy sources of food.

The Rat: sorry to hear about Gipsy Danger. :(

My dog just lays there and stares at them. But she's a crazy border collie so that's kind of what they do.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

thatbastardken posted:

We have a dog, but we have to keep him in the kennel outside at night so he doesn't jump the fence. He does bark when critters come around though, so I'm putting my equipment on a higher standby level for when his barking wakes me up at night.

We're gonna start putting out the cage trap again too. I'm hoping not to lose any more. The rest of the flock is pretty sharp as far as their situational awareness goes. Gipsy was always the loner due to her status at the bottom of the pecking order and her bad eyesight.

Thanks for the condolences everyone.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

We successfully rehomed our rooster.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Nipples posted:

We successfully rehomed our rooster.

Yay! Hopefully he will have lots of fun at his new home.

Also I'm sorry to hear about Gipsy Danger, The Rat. :( Raccoons look cute but they sound awful. I hope you can catch whatever it was that got her.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
One of my chickens laid a fairy egg! I've had eggs in eggs, no shells, double yolks, no yolks... but this is my first tiny egg!

The only thing to do really is eat it.

Perhaps I did not need to grease the whole pan...

Just add a tiny scone and voila!

A perfect breakfast...

For my littlest chicken-

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Lenswork posted:

For my littlest chicken-

LOL! I love your little green chicken! :D

Also, "fairy eggs" are very sweet. :)

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Lenswork posted:

One of my chickens laid a fairy egg! I've had eggs in eggs, no shells, double yolks, no yolks... but this is my first tiny egg!

The only thing to do really is eat it.

Perhaps I did not need to grease the whole pan...

Just add a tiny scone and voila!

A perfect breakfast...

For my littlest chicken-

I love this post. :allears:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Not mine, but worth sharing.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

The Rat posted:

Not mine, but worth sharing.

What's in the nest boxes? Something to keep broody hens off the nests?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Inveigle posted:

What's in the nest boxes? Something to keep broody hens off the nests?

Maybe it is part of a radical new breeding program. The chickens sit on the ingots and hatch new chickens, which are raised for meat because they are full of iron.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Maybe it is part of a radical new breeding program. The chickens sit on the ingots and hatch new chickens, which are raised for meat because they are full of iron.

OH! I see now. Those metal things are iron weights. A way to break a broody hen is to put something cold in her nest box. Those weights would be cold and too heavy to move. I couldn't tell what they were in the photo.

That hen looks a bit upset. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

Are all bantams insane, or just mine? Holy crap.