Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Growing up in the blitz made him Magical Hitler. Well all-righty then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Harry Potter isn't exactly high literature, but the idea that Harry could easily have turned out like voldemort is one of the main themes of the books. And indeed, it is his choice of self-sacrifice and love over hate that is his, and everyone's, ultimate salvation.

Cmon Tropers.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Voldemort wasn't even born at the time of the Blitz. Nevermind then, somehow I got it into my head that he was at Hogwarts in the late fifties.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 10, 2014

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Voldemort wasn't even born at the time of the Blitz.
:goonsay:

:eng101: Voldemort was born in 1926.

:eng99:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Oh come on is this really necessary?

Pettanko is a trope for small breasted anime women so yes it is absolutely required.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Swan Oat posted:

Pettanko is a trope for small breasted anime women so yes it is absolutely required.
It's also crucial in determining what a woman looks like.
Hair + breasts = woman

I love the little details in Tom's story and I wish it was finished. They used a x gun that fires x ammo and fired it non concentric circles in the trenches that were dug in the square, as an eternal reminder to the war, just outside the window while the rain and the flower petals drifted down.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

mmj posted:

"Not before I enjoy it more" has to be the dumbest line I've seen so far in this shitpile of a story

If Major Tom meant it to send me to the floor laughing he succeeded with flying colors.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Night10194 posted:

What the hell is it with sword guys and always going on about how awesome their sword is and what its name is and everything?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHYaEKoSEig (GoT season 4 I guess)

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

More from Draco in Leather Pants:

Draco in Leather Pants posted:

Barty Crouch, Jr. due to being played by David Tennant in the movie and having a Tragic Villain Back Story in the book. Sometimes he gets paired with characters nearly twenty years younger than him, like Hermione or Luna.
  • In defense of Barty Crouch, Jr./Hermione and Barty Crouch, Jr./Luna, some relationships do have nearly twenty years, or more, of an age difference between both partners. For example, the age difference between the aforementioned David Tennant and his wife, Georgia Moffett Tennant, is about 13 years.

Thank you brave troper for defending the good name of the Barty Crouch Junior slash Luna relationship.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Major Tom posted:

Try to name all the tropes. I count quite a few in that scene alone.

This is basically his entire approach to writing, isn't it?

I remember one thread where he said he never, ever developed an outline or plan of what he wanted to write before he started. It seems, however, that he does get a list of tropes, and writes around those in lieu of planning ahead.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Metal Loaf posted:

This is basically his entire approach to writing, isn't it?

I remember one thread where he said he never, ever developed an outline or plan of what he wanted to write before he started. It seems, however, that he does get a list of tropes, and writes around those in lieu of planning ahead.

I remember a point where even the idiots at TvTropes flat out said that his writing was poo poo and he was just lazily throwing tropes into it like a conveyor belt.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Thank you brave troper for defending the good name of the Barty Crouch Junior slash Luna relationship.

Wait, what? That was a thing? :psyduck:

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

My point above was about how, once again, a site purporting to be dedicated to the careful study of themes and literary devices somehow doesn't recognize (or even appear to have a pge on) dramatic juxtaposition in literature, and instead treats it like a coincidence that the main protagonist and antagonist share commonalities in their past, instead focusing on stupid fan reactions and something and whatever the hell a woobie is. It's a theme a grade schooler can identify.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Any kind of shipping is a thing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Honestly, that's kind of mild compared to, say, characters who are already married to someone else... Or are direct blood relatives.

Or siblings. :barf:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Barty Crouch Jr only appears in book 4. Luna only appears from book 5 onwards. I guess they must have met offscreen while Barty was in disguise, but still, how can you "ship" two characters who have literally no chemistry because we never even see them together? (Hell, how can you "ship" Barty with anyone when we barely see him as himself, since he spends like the entire book in disguise and the rest as a veritaserum zombie?)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Regalingualius posted:

Honestly, that's kind of mild compared to, say, characters who are already married to someone else... Or are direct blood relatives.

Or siblings. :barf:

You don't need fanfiction for that.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Oh god, this poo poo. I remember how they acted with Suikoden V.

quote:

Incest Subtext: Miakis tells Lym that if the Prince wins, she'll have to marry him. Of course, Miakis just has a really wild sense of humor.
*To the point that Lym attacks the Prince for winning his ceremonial match, out of fear that they'll have to marry. It doesn't help that Lym is ten years old.

Also, in the best ending, the prince becomes Commander of the Queen's Knights, a position normally reserved for the Queen's husband. Given the Ship Tease between the two earlier...
*To be fair, there probably wasn't a better candidate. He was leader of the rebel army. Plus, with Lym being only ten, she is a little too young to be married anyway.
*Bingo. It also sends a clear message that the system, which caused the problem in the first place, is changing.

Two things here. Miakis is pretty much someone that loves messing with the princess even though she loves her dearly. At least it looks like they've gotten over the Prince and Lym sleeping in the same bed at one point because she was feeling overwhelmed with what was happening. And don't get me started on the second part. The Prince is her only remaining close kin (her grandfather and two of her aunties are still alive but she only knows one of them) and overthrew the bad guys in a rebellion. There's literally nobody better suited for the role of commander of what are essentially her bodyguards.

EDIT: There's 18 incest tropes & subtropes. Just thought I'd bring that fact up.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 10, 2014

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Testekill posted:

Any kind of shipping is a thing.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FanficRecs/HarryPotterShipping posted:

These are recommendations made by Tropers for Harry Potter Shipping fanfic, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page.

quote:

Tissue of Silver by Fearless Diva

Recommended by: Y.S. Jennis
Pairings: Harry/Draco
Synopsis: A love story concerning possessed furniture, black silk pyjamas, courtroom drama, premonitions of doom, assassination attempts, Death Eater yoga, absinthe, bare feet and a sensible werewolf. Rated: R for coarse language, brief drug use, some sexual content, and consideration of issues of sexual consent.
Comments: Such depth. Interesting plot twist, too. Hadn't seen that coming. Did end in a happy ending, though. And do heed the author's warning above. Don't read this if you're easily squicked, but otherwise, you really should.

quote:

Those Gilded Chains We Wear by KuraiBites

Recommended by: nate9799
Pairings: Hermione/Bellatrix
Synopsis: From the summary: "During the battle for Hogwarts, Hermione accepts to do the Unbreakable Vow with Bellatrix to protect the people she loves. But binding herself to the dark witch has more consequences than she could ever have anticipated."
Comments: The scariest thing about this story isn't Bellatrix's insanity. The fic doesn't dodge much of what Bellatrix has done: no Peggy Sueing back to when she was sane, no Bellatrix secretly being a spy, and no soul mate. Bellatrix was clearly evil, torture and all. Yet they end up together. None of that is the scariest part of the fic. The scariest part is how it makes sense. The relationship is such a slow burn (its 274,000 words long, and them being together is relatively new) that it develops naturally and doesn't seem forced. But it's not just the relationship, it's everything. Even Bellatrix sitting out the final battle (that's what the Vow is about) despite her loyalty to Voldemort is explained. It made so much sense that Bellatrix/Hermione is now my OTP.

quote:

And On the Third Day by MerryArwen

Recommended by: genisgone
Pairings: Harry/Ron/Hermione
Synopsis: Eventually, they find a note tacked to the gargoyle who guards the passage to the Headmaster's office. It is in Granger's handwriting and signed by her at the bottom, and tells them that, the danger being over and the initial aftermath winding down, she feels that the three of them need some time alone to recuperate and will reappear exactly three days from that day, at four o'clock.
Comments: Quite possible the best fanfic I've read for Harry Potter. It's not very long and has little in the way of plot or action, but nevertheless just fits. There's a little space at the end of Deathly Hallows, right between the last page and the Infamous Epilogue, where this should be. Trioship has always seemed the natural and obvious way for the chips to fall, and this fic expresses that perfectly.
Seconded by Sharysa. This is a very, very, very sorely-needed break that needs to be there after the final battle. Never has the term "breather" been more appropriate, both for the Trio and the readers.

quote:

Eclipse, by Mijan

Recommended by Puck
Pairings: Harry/Draco
Synopsis: Draco swore revenge on Harry for Lucius's imprisonment, and for once, he keeps his promise. The old rivalry turns deadly when Draco abducts Harry for Voldemort. But when Draco's world turns upside down, the fight to save himself and Harry begins.

quote:

Harry Potter and the Autumn Swan by Lord Akiyama (AU)

Recommended by Rubber Lotus
Pairings: Harry/Cho, Sirius/Hedwig
Synopsis: If Harry had managed to ask Cho to the Yule Ball before Cedric did, how different would things turn out? See for yourself in this rewrite of books number four and up.
Comments: A superb fanfic that sticks close to the books while still maintaining a believable Harry/Cho romance. Most notably, Sirius doesn't die.

quote:

What I Want My Words To Do to You by Ladymage Samiko

Recommended by AcrossTheStars, Fenro
Pairings: Hermione Granger/Severus Snape
Synopsis: The courtship of Hermione Granger and Severus Snape in epistolary form. Post-Hogwarts, not DH-compliant.
Comments: Hands down the best Snape/Hermione fic this troper has ever read, and one of the best fics she's ever seen. In any fandom. Ever. Very much in character, very sophisticated writing... in short, sheer genius.

quote:

The Issue of Mine Enemy by Perfesser N

Recommended by Mac Phisto
Pairing: Harry Potter/Bellatrix Lestrange and Mariette Edgecombe, Moaning Myrtle, Hermione Granger, Ginny Weasley, and Gabrielle Delacour
Synopsis: As Harry trains with Mad-Eye Moody for the inevitable Final Battle, Voldemort uses Bellatrix as a means of by-passing the ancient magic that's protected him all his life.
Warning: For Mature Audiences Only. Equal parts smut & romance. Violence.
Comments: Honestly, I was only looking to get off. But this (quite long) fic is a very entertaing read. Rather than giving Bellatrix the simply Leather Pants treatment, half the story is a set-up to her eventual Heel-Face Turn, without having to resort to cliches. It is, dare I say, not only my favorite HP fanfic, but my all-time favorite fanfic in general.

quote:

Chronicles by Josephinee

Recommended by Still-li, Guessmyname
Pairing: Rose Weasley/Scorpius Malfoy
Synopsis: Rose Weasley always considered Scorpius Malfoy one of the most annoying people she ever had the misfortune of meeting. This year, however, deep down, she realizes... he's even worse!
Comments: Very entertaining and well-written, with an awesome (and hilariously snarky) main character.
Guessmyname: Seconding. See also the sequel, Paramnesia, still in progress.

quote:

Forever And A Day by summer_jackel

Recommended by Joysweeper
Pairing: Remus Lupin/James Potter/Sirius Black
Synopsis: Several vignette-ish pieces about Remus, the sole remaining non-evil Marauder, remembering his relationship with James and Sirius.
Warnings: The author says it. "m/m/m, NC-17-ish, angsty, and involves critters, or at least wizards in non-human shape."
Comments: I don't often enjoy NC-17 type fics — though really this is more R — but I liked this one. It was reflective and sad. Not a PWP; "relationship" in this case is partly but not entirely euphemism. As for "critters", yeah the three of them have sex as animals and as humans, but not human-with-animal.

quote:

Harry Potter and the Secret of the Golden Unicorn by Lord Wrackspurt

Recommended by Foo Fighter
Pairing(s): Harry/Ginny, Harry/Hermione, Harry/Fleur, Harry/Gabrielle, Harry/Luna
Synopsis: In an alternate universe, a young wizard named Harry Potter comes of age in a time of civil war between wizarding factions. He learns the final secret of why he is the "chosen one" who can end the war and save his friends, but only by fulfilling his destiny.
Warning: Darkfic, Incest, Squick, Violence. Definitely NSFW
Comments: One of the last fics to be completed before Restrictedsection.org stopped accepting fics (thankfully the archive is still up) and boy did they go out with a bang. If Harry Potter met the Sin City verse in a back alley you'd get something like this.

quote:

The White Road by Perverse-idyll

Reccomended by nekovita,Fenro, purpleeyed
Pairings: Harry/Snape, Lily/Snape
Synopsis: One day, comfortably set up in the afterlife, Lily Evans Potter switches on the telly and gets hooked on the Harry Potter show.
Warnings: Explicit Sex and Violence
Comments: You'd think, due to the synopsis, that this fic is going to be lighthearted and silly, or maudlin and straightforward— I did, and I almost passed it up, but boy was I wrong. This story isn't simple; it's engaging, thoughtful and heart-wrenching. The writing is vivid and very detailed. It deals with all of the characters in a caring manner, without vilifying anyone. I especially liked the exploration of Snape and Lily's relationship when they were younger, the focus on the things she didn't notice when she was an adolescent, her interactions with Tom, her very visceral reactions to the things she sees and the juxtaposition between Harry's two different but possible futures, and what brings him to each one. Out of all of fic I've read, this is definitely one of my very favorites. Even if you don't like the main pairing, it's worth a try.
This story is so... so... there are no words. Just read it.
This is worth reading, even if Harry/Snape squicks you out (as it does this troper), just for the fascinating characterization of Lily, and this picture of the afterlife.
Just read it. Harry/Snape was always THE way to squick me out, but this...is just that good. Wonderful characterization of Lily, meddling Dumbledore and Grindelwald lurking in the shadows...bits and pieces straight to headcanon, I think!

quote:

The Sinews of Thy Heart by Amarielle

Recommended by Goodwrench
Pairing: Remus/Hermione
Synopsis: The war altered nothing at Grimmauld Place. The house stayed the same, but its inhabitants changed. Against every natural law, Remus Lupin found a place where he belonged inside one of the largest hearts he'd ever known: the heart of Hermione Granger.
Comments: The best Remus/Hermione story in the fandom.

quote:

Only Enemies by leave this world

Recommended by Magyareagle
Pairing: Harry/Bellatrix
Synopsis:In the aftermath of the Final battle a misplaced spell sends HP and Bellatrix to an alternative world. It holds everything each of them have lost to the war and yet they find themselves inexorably drawn back to each other. HPBella done right.
Comments: Perhaps the most realistic Harry/Bellatrix fanfic I have ever come across. Dark, and twisted, this story captures Bellatrix's personality perfectly. I believe that the author's summary sums this up best: Harry/Bella done right.

quote:

Tied For Last by Speechwriter

Recommended by Spooner Wilkins, Shebali, pisoprano
Pairing(s): Hermy/Tom Riddle Jr, also some other pairings not quite canon-bound.
Synopsis: Hermione is killed by Voldemort during the last battle for Hogwarts, and is now dead. Well, sort of. Turns out that death is a little more complex than she knew... Not your standard shipping fic. Ignores the epilogue and the last 50ish pages of DH. Don't be put off by the pairing, this one is definitely worth the read.
Warning: Angst, some foul language, and some rollercoastering of emotions. There's also some descriptions of sex and not to forget actual character death (so yeah... forget about that epilogue-thingie at the train station, that's so not happening this time around)
Very much seconded by Shebali, who didn't even consider this pairing before. Also, Speechwriter is currently renovating the story to improve general quality and the results really are something. Do check out if haven't yet.

quote:

Words Fail by Nea Marika

Recommended by Mazz
Pairing: Harry/Tom Riddle
Synopsis: During the fight in the Department of Mysteries at the end of Order of the Phoenix, the Time Turners are broken accidentally, sending Harry back in time to the Hogwarts years of Tom Riddle. Notable for averting most failings of the 'Harry travels to Tom Riddle's era and falls in love with him' trend.

quote:

I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud by LilianThorn

Recommended by: Mac Phisto
Pairing(s): Harry Potter/Narcissa Malfoy Draco Malfoy/Neville Longbottom
Synopsis: Beginning the summer after the war, trials are being held for former Death Eaters. Harry's testimony acquits Narcissa, while Lucius and Draco receive only house arrest in addition to financial liabilities. Narcissa feels deeply in debt to Harry, and wants to thank him "properly." Surprisingly, Harry will have none of that, and wants to get to know her proper. As they bond, they fall in love and have an affair. Narcissa files for divorce, but Lucius attacks her in a jealous rage. The assault violates his probation, and Lucius is sent to Azkaban. Narcissa is hospitalized but stable and fotunately, the attack did not harm the baby.
Comments: The author pays great attention to detail, and is setting the stage for something bigger.

quote:

Widdershins by "Dido"/Trickofthedark

Recommended by: Looney Toons
Pairing(s): Hermione/Dudley Dursley
Summary: In an Alternate Universe, after the death of Sirius, Harry gets smart and begins spending his money to improve his chances of surviving the war with Voldemort and the Death Eaters. One unexpected consequence of his actions is a collaboration between Hermione and his cousin Dudley to analyze reams of data on Death Eater activities — a collaboration which slowly evolves into a romance. A strange and yet fun blend of tender first love leavened with both the tension of the war and outright crackfickery. Written in 2006, before Deathly Hallows, it gleefully ignores any canon that gets in the way of its plot. As a special added bonus, the author is also an artist, and all the chapters come with multiple, often very funny, illustrations. Warning! One of the later chapters is very NC-17.

quote:

Surrender by Paimpont

Recommended by feral
Pairings: Tom/Harry, Snape/Lily, Sirius/Remus, Lavender/Ron, Hermione/Ron, Grindelwald/Dumbledore, Draco/Blaise, Cedric/Cho, Fleur/Bill, James/Ginny, past Harry/Cho, James/Lily and Voldemort/Bellatrix, James/Rosemerta, one-sided Minerva/Tom, Slughorn/Tom and Slughorn/Lily
Synopsis: Harry writes a letter of surrender to Voldemort. The Dark Lord is intrigued.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrackPairing posted:

The Harry Potter fandom is chock full of them. Doesn't matter how minor the characters are, or how biologically impossible various acts would be. If they exist, they will be shipped. For instance, Hagrid/Dobby and Dobby/Giant Squid.

My Immortal is the undisputed king of this. It includes Hermione/Neville, Snape/Lupin, and Voldemort/Hedwig.

Giant Squid/Hogwarts Castle. Ahh, good old Squidwarts. Here's a link.

J. K. Rowling/Giant Squid fic.

Harry/Fawkes. Part of a larger fanfic called 'Twas Twisted.
There is another.

The Hogwarts Castle/The Shrieking Shack.

Kingsley/Percy. The fic Trouble in the Ministry also features some Draco/Ron, Remus/Arthur Weasley and Snape/Neville.

Harry/Hedwig has been done. By a writer called yamigirl121. A tribute, perchance?
It's been done by more than one person. Do they decide these by spinning a wheel or something?

There is Dolores Umbridge/Margaret Thatcher slash fiction: here.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce you to Hermione/Sorting Hat? (warning: *very* disturbing! No, really.)

Or perhaps Dobby/Sorting Hat?

Dobby/Hagrid. Warning: This might be the most disturbing thing you will EVER read.

Try Dumbledore/Mrs. Norris!! Added bit of horror when you think about what the elder wand looks like.

The Dangerverse Alternate Universe series has mostly canon and OC pairings, but also contains Charlie/Tonks and Draco/Luna.

When Daniel Radcliffe hosted SNL they did a Harry Potter sketch set ten years into the future where Hagrid marries Luna!
Luna: "He's huuuuuge!"

From Mock the Week, "Unlikely Lines from the Final Harry Potter Book":
"I'm sorry, Harry, I'm having a baby, and it's yours," said Professor McGonagall.

German fanfiction author Ramuthra has a penchant for these, as examplified by her various oneshots, which range from Snape/Neville to Dudley/Luna, Grindlewald/Marge Dursley and Goyle/Harry.

3 Slytherin Marauders has Snape/Rosemerta the barmaid, Lucius Malfoy/Petunia Dursley, Dudley Dursley/Padma Patil, and the young Tom Riddle from the diary/Nymphadora Tonks.

There was one fic that paired Ginny/Lavender with Buckbeak. And they got pregnant. Squick at its finest.

There is a thriving Ron/Ginny sub section of the fandom.

Tom Riddle x Sirius Black

Harry/Marcus Flint.

Violence Inherent in the System, in addition to its crossover main pairing, shipped a brought-back-to-life Moaning Myrtle with Dennis Creevey.

Uzumaki Harry has Harry/Moaning Myrtle and Harry/Cat Girl!Hermione

Ron/Millicent Bulstrode in Knowledge is Power, and arguably Lupin/Professor Sprout.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I Recommend The Fanfiction Where Sirius Fucks Hedwig The Owl

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce you to Hermione/Sorting Hat? (warning: *very* disturbing! No, really.)

I just went through this out of curiosity. It's really less disgusting and more simply baffling, even if it is a rapist hat story. It was obviously not written seriously. At least, I hope it wasn't.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
The Hogwarts Castle/giant squid sex has to be a parody. Even if not, I still laughed.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

There's a troper page for Boers and Bernstein Show

You can't make this poo poo up.

Let's see what they got...

...actually it's pretty tame. Damnit TvTropes, I wanted to see your recommendations for radiohost/drunk caller slashfic! :argh:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Why the gently caress are you people reading this poo poo?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

FrozenVent posted:

Why the gently caress are you people reading this poo poo?

Car crash syndrome

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Car crash syndrome

Basically. I believe I heard it described as web atrocity tourism.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Tracula posted:

Basically. I believe I heard it described as web atrocity tourism.

TvTropes Mock Thread: I believe I heard it described as web atrocity tourism

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Who exactly needs a taxonomic listing of all the different kinds of incest?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Little Blackfly posted:

Who exactly needs a taxonomic listing of all the different kinds of incest?

:tvtropes:, natch.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Barty Crouch Jr only appears in book 4. Luna only appears from book 5 onwards. I guess they must have met offscreen while Barty was in disguise, but still, how can you "ship" two characters who have literally no chemistry because we never even see them together? (Hell, how can you "ship" Barty with anyone when we barely see him as himself, since he spends like the entire book in disguise and the rest as a veritaserum zombie?)

I used to hang with people who were into this sort of thing when I was a teenager-- the thought process in cases like that where the characters literally never met, iirc, goes along the lines of 'well this character acts like this and this other character acts like that, clearly those go together, this line of dialogue could be twisted to mean they might know each other, therefore subtext, therefore :huh:'; some will then further add 'therefore canon' onto that.

Like it's basically mashing barbie dolls at each other which I don't strictly have a problem, but my, people can get silly about it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

neongrey posted:

I used to hang with people who were into this sort of thing when I was a teenager-- the thought process in cases like that where the characters literally never met, iirc, goes along the lines of 'well this character acts like this and this other character acts like that, clearly those go together, this line of dialogue could be twisted to mean they might know each other, therefore subtext, therefore :huh:'; some will then further add 'therefore canon' onto that.

Like it's basically mashing barbie dolls at each other which I don't strictly have a problem, but my, people can get silly about it.

TV Tropes has a trope for this, because of course they do.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShipsThatPassInTheNight posted:

Ships That Pass In The Night

So you like to ship Bob and Alice. The only problem you have is the fact that Bob and Alice have exchanged little more than a few lines with one another, there seems to be little to no interaction between the two, or they may be no evidence that they've ever met each other.

This is when Ships Pass in the Night. Most of these types of ships are Crack Pairings, but as usual Tropes Are Tools — sometimes fans can dig deep and find decent proof for their beloved ship, or at least persuade the readers that the couple would give each other the time of day. Even without this a pairing can work if written well enough, but if no transition period is shown the couple is suddenly Strangled by the Red String.

Compare Launcher of a Thousand Ships, which can be a cause of many of these kinds of pairings.

Trope Namer is a remark made by Donald Hogan in Stand on Zanzibar.

quote:

Harry Potter's Loads and Loads of Characters are prone to this.

The most popular example might be Draco/Ginny, which was insanely popular for a while and still has a decent sized following, even though they only spoke twice in seven books, way back in Book 2, when Ginny told him "Leave him alone, he didn't want all that!" and later when Draco made fun of her Valentine to Harry. Though apparently the actual actors dated in real life.

Draco/Ginny is also used as a Beta Couple in Harry/Hermione stories, if the writer isn't feeling vindictive. As is Blaise/Ginny, which has even less canon to stand on as, and Blaise called Ginny a "filthy blood traitor".

Sirius Black and Lucius Malfoy didn't exchange a single word in the novels. The sum total of their conversations in the films was "Get away from my godson!" "Black!" There's a pretty solid body of slash devoted to them.

After the fourth book introduced Narcissa Malfoy, there was a rash of fics pairing her with Sirius Black for some reason. Then the fifth book revealed that they were cousins.

The controversial fanfic In This World and the Next has a few examples. Oliver Wood winds up dating Penelope Clearwater after Percy turns evil He is kind of a dick to his family until near the end of the series, though the two are in different houses and are unlikely to have known each other. But that pairing is downright normal compared to some of the other ones that Harry and Hermione create. In their zeal to ensure that Remus and Tonks wind up together so that Teddy can be born, Sirius Black ends up having some romantic moments with Charity Burbage. Even more ridiculous is that Neville somehow falls for Millicent Bulstrode, and the feeling is mutual. If For Want of a Nail were not in full effect, the two would most likely have hated each other's guts, assuming that they had any interactions at all.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

JosephWongKS posted:

TV Tropes has a trope for this, because of course they do.

I thought I knew too much about Harry Potter, but I don't know half of those characters. How can you not only ship two characters who never even interacted, but also who barely even appear in the books/movies? Gonna have to reiterate that point about how they might as well just write original fiction.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Don Gato posted:

I thought I knew too much about Harry Potter, but I don't know half of those characters. How can you not only ship two characters who never even interacted, but also who barely even appear in the books/movies? Gonna have to reiterate that point about how they might as well just write original fiction.

There is a really minor Harry Potter character named Blaise Zabini. Harry Potter fans portrayed Blaise as a girl, until Rowling mentioned that Blaise was a boy. He was then portrayed as an emo Italian until it was revealed that he was black. Fans threw shitfits over this.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There is a really minor Harry Potter character named Blaise Zabini. Harry Potter fans portrayed Blaise as a girl, until Rowling mentioned that Blaise was a boy. He was then portrayed as an emo Italian until it was revealed that he was black. Fans threw shitfits over this.

hahahaaha What the gently caress.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Has a character being reveled as black ever not made fanboys/girls rage?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Morkyz posted:

Has a character being reveled as black ever not made fanboys/girls rage?

Nope because shut-in nerds are actually pretty loving racist.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

If you like watching nerds be racist, tracking down the Blaise Zabini drama is highly recommended, because I'm not sure I've ever seen it so baldfaced. These were the same nerds who were also fine with openly saying "I'm not racist, but everyone's being too hard on the obvious Nazi analogue! they have some good ideas", so you can imagine how stellar they were on real-life racial issues, especially when they were falling over themselves to find a reason that JK Rowling was the real racist!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Afraid of Audio posted:

hahahaaha What the gently caress.

Elementary/middle school kids have basically never seen anyone named Blaise to know what sex the character would be, and the character basically had no lines in the books until book 6.

So for the first 8 years the Harry Potter franchise was around, the only characteristics mentioned about the character was that the name was Blaise Zabini and they were in Slytherin. Which made the fact people were writing fanfiction involving the character really funny, they were nothing more than a background extra until the second to last book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Antivehicular posted:

If you like watching nerds be racist, tracking down the Blaise Zabini drama is highly recommended, because I'm not sure I've ever seen it so baldfaced. These were the same nerds who were also fine with openly saying "I'm not racist, but everyone's being too hard on the obvious Nazi analogue! they have some good ideas", so you can imagine how stellar they were on real-life racial issues, especially when they were falling over themselves to find a reason that JK Rowling was the real racist!
The "wait, Rue is black?" thing from The Hunger Games was worse because Rue is rather explicitly described as black in the book.

http://jezebel.com/5896408/racist-hunger-games-fans-dont-care-how-much-money-the-movie-made

• Locked thread