Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

That drat Satyr posted:

You could literally make more money per week selling blood plasma or something. I would have said sperm, but for christ sake please don't breed ever Benny.
Benny would somehow find a way to screw that up, probably by lying about something pointless during the pre donation exam.

Seconding that a library volunteer flipping books for his own profit is pretty disgraceful. It would reflect poorly not just on you, but possibly on the library as well if someone found out you were doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

That drat Satyr posted:

You could literally make more money per week selling blood plasma or something. I would have said sperm, but for christ sake please don't breed ever Benny.

Nah, you have to have a degree to sell sperm.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?

Starter Wiggin posted:

HEY BENNY, HOW ABOUT AMERICORPS/JOBCORPS?
Or is it still not time for your "nuclear options"?

As a current AC member, I'm honor bound or some poo poo like that to try and help as many people as possible.
Please answer me Benny. I haven't asked to see your diploma, or bothered you about insurance. I just want to help get some semblance of "on track" happening in your life.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
THe nearest plasma house is like a ways away, so

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Starter Wiggin posted:

As a current AC member, I'm honor bound or some poo poo like that to try and help as many people as possible.
Please answer me Benny. I haven't asked to see your diploma, or bothered you about insurance. I just want to help get some semblance of "on track" happening in your life.

How did you end up in that gig? What does it pay?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

CravingSolace posted:

I have this horrible feeling that Benny selling books for the library will somehow result in the library being shut down. I don't know how, but it's this nagging suspicion.

Also, you want to buy the good books from the library and flip them yourself for a higher profit? That sounds like such a dick thing to do. rear end in a top hat.

Like it matters, he's going to make like $10 a week before shipping costs. Which will be a stunningly fantastic time investment on his part, I'm sure, paying far more than any job he's had to date.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

Thank you.

Oh, and I'm making the most of my volunteer position here at the library. I don't know if I've said this already, but one of the perks is that I can keep whatever withdrawn or donated book for myself before it's put on the shelves for sale. So far I have a collection of Ray Bradbury short stories, "Thousand Cranes" by Pulitzer prize-winning author Yasunari Kawabata, and a Dennis Lehane book. Currently, I'm reading "Boomsday" by Christopher Buckley, who's become my new favorite writer.

How many books are squirreled away Benny?

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!
I don't really think there's anything dirty about buying used library books and flipping them. The books they're selling don't have a place in the collection; pretty much anything that gets rid of them without the library having to pay to haul them to a landfill is to the library's advantage. It's not like they have the resources to hire someone to actually sift through them, determine their market value, and market them appropriately.

edit: let me be clear that I'm only talking about him buying books. I would not defend him stealing books.

lexan fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 10, 2014

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Benny the Snake posted:

Oh yeah, if anybody here is interested in buying books on the cheap, PM me and we can work something out.

Benny I will give you $100 for the entire collection of library books so we can quit this stupid farce.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

lexan posted:

I don't really think there's anything dirty about buying used library books and flipping them. The books they're selling don't have a place in the collection; pretty much anything that gets rid of them without the library having to pay to haul them to a landfill is to the library's advantage. It's not like they have the resources to hire someone to actually sift through them, determine their market value, and market them appropriately.

edit: let me be clear that I'm only talking about him buying books. I would not defend him stealing books.

Yeah this. Dude still needs to make more than the 100 dollars a month he will make at maximum from this idea and as a newcomer to this thread still I don't quite understand why Benny is tunnel visioning so hard on this idea?

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Darth123123 posted:

How did you end up in that gig? What does it pay?

my.americorps.gov

Postings there, filter by area and experience and all that.
I make, after taxes, $800/month. It's not lucrative.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

lexan posted:

There wouldn't be anything bad if he didn't work for the library selling their books. No, he can't sell a book to himself for fifty cents and then sell it online for ten bucks and get the profit himself.

I mean, he can't because he's not capable of it, but also it's wrong and he's going to find out about getting fired from a volunteer gig.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I would buy tickets to watch Benny on an AmeriCorps jobsite to build a house or something.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Simoom posted:

Yeah this. Dude still needs to make more than the 100 dollars a month he will make at maximum from this idea and as a newcomer to this thread still I don't quite understand why Benny is tunnel visioning so hard on this idea?

Oh, it's definitely not a good or productive idea. He's focusing on it because it will let him pretend he's working on a goal without actually doing anything.

I know a guy who basically does make his living that way--he makes the rounds at every thrift store, flea market and garage sale in the Twin Cities. He buys up books, CDs, DVDs, LPs, board games, etc., and flips them on eBay and Amazon. Thing is, it's not something you can just do a couple hours a week--it's a full-time job, taking not only the travel time and the listing time, but the time to research and stay on top of the market so he knows what to buy that will actually turn a profit.

It's also barely a subsistence job. Dude can barely afford a studio apartment and a ramen diet.

So Benny, please don't get the idea that flipping used books is ever going to be anything more than a bit of beer money.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

It's not very often, but I had a very, very good idea today. I was thinking about my online sales experience in relation to my resume and then I thought, "Why don't I help the library by selling books online?" We are seriously overloaded with donated and withdrawn books over here. So I discussed it with the assistant director and he likes the idea. We're going to have a meeting to work out the details on Wednesday. I can't work it into a paid position because, of course, I have very little experience to begin with and I've only been volunteering here for about six weeks now. More importantly, however, I can still include online sales on my resume under the pretense that I'm doing it for the library. It's not exactly professional, but it does tie into my current volunteering and would look really good on my resume.

This post was one week ago. Benny you have to focus on the good advice more. Very, very much more.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Starter Wiggin posted:

Please just any answer will do.

BENNY, HELLOOOOO?! EARTH TO BENNY, CAN YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND ANSWER STARTER WIGGIN AND THEIR HELPFUL SUGGESTION PLEASE.

Lol I just filtered my own posts and watching the tone switch as Benny's true, lazy colours begin to show is amazing.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 10, 2014

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Toriori posted:

BENNY, HELLOOOOO?! EARTH TO BENNY, CAN YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND ANSWER STARTER WIGGIN AND THEIR HELPFUL SUGGESTION PLEASE.

Tomorrow.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Darth123123 posted:

This post was one week ago. Benny you have to focus on the good advice more. Very, very much more.

We wouldn't have this thread then.

Stop asking about insurance or actual paying jobs people. Benny isn't going to listen to you and is just going to sort of exist until maybe something happens. Then he will lean in with a thank you card.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Benny the Snake posted:

I contacted Magnus Gallant about selling him books. My supervisor says special orders are kosher. He handles the sales, not me since I'm just a volunteer. We've also figured out that selling 50 cent books a la carte isn't getting us anywhere. So we're going bundling. By author, genre, or series. I'm also going to start listing bestsellers. We're sticking to CL since we can post for free and not have a percent of our sales go to the site. To further incentivize customers, I'm putting "All proceeds go to the library" in the post. People feel better about buying things if it goes to a good cause, after all. I'm considering buying books on the cheap here and flipping them online, but I'd need to find a bestseller in really good condition. I'll be keeping an eye out. Oh yeah, if anybody here is interested in buying books on the cheap, PM me and we can work something out.

https://www.storeenvy.com has no listing, selling, any kind of fees, Benny

A simple google search would have told you this

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

lexan posted:

The problem is that, as far as I can tell, he's setting the prices. If all the good books/comics are suddenly 'on sale' for a penny, the line between buying and stealing is a lot blurrier.

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~
I've been reading from the beginning, but I can't for the life of me recall which town/city/whatever Benny lives in. Anyone know off the top of their head?

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Benny should start writing romance novels on amazon. He can 1) write, 2) make decent money, 3) get to indulge in weird fantasies, 4) not have to leave his moms house. Sounds like it's everything he could have her wanted. I'm sure some goons would also be interested in buying some of his books to support him as well.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Womens Jeans posted:

Benny should start writing romance novels on amazon. He can 1) write, 2) make decent money, 3) get to indulge in weird fantasies, 4) not have to leave his moms house. Sounds like it's everything he could have her wanted. I'm sure some goons would also be interested in buying some of his books to support him as well.

Jorge leaned in close to Maria. Her heart was racing, her palms sweaty, her breath shallow with anticipation.

"Hey Holmes," he whispered "did I ever tell you about how I killed my whole family."

Lux Saturnine
Oct 29, 2011
Benny. If you're hellbent on selling books, get an Amazon scanner app for your phone, go to your local used book store, and scan the barcodes on the textbooks. If you find one for five or ten bucks and the app tells you that Amazon's current lowest price is like $60, buy that poo poo and flip it. It IS possible to make some decent pocket change doing this, but for christ sakes, DO NOT RIP OFF THE LIBRARY YOU IMBECILE.

Lux Saturnine fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 10, 2014

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Shelf Adventure posted:

Jorge leaned in close to Maria. Her heart was racing, her palms sweaty, her breath shallow with anticipation.

"Hey Holmes," he whispered "did I ever tell you about how I killed my whole family."

"I'm proud to announce" he gulped, "that you, ese, are not my next victim. But believe you me, I have my foot in the door."

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Starter Wiggin posted:

"I'm proud to announce" he gulped, "that you, ese, are not my next victim. But believe you me, I have my foot in the door."

"Oh Maria," Benny gurgled. You make me so excited! all the possibilities! I want you to change me!

"I want to change you too!" Maria gasped. "I want to help you be a better person!"

Benny made a sour face. "Not that way, you silly girl. I want you to CHANGE me. I just made boom boom in my diaper."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
How can anyone possibly think "flipping" used books is a good idea? Benny you clearly haven't done any research at all into how much used books sell for. Even if you manage to buy them for "cheap" online, you'll have to sell them for cheap too, because nobody buys used books unless they are ridiculously cheap. And that's completely ignoring the issue of shipping costs. At best you might bring in an extra 50 dollars a month to the library, and that is assuming a constant stream of used books to sell and a constant stream of people wanting to buy them, which won't happen in reality. The library is probably just humoring you and your terrible idea to get you to stay with them longer while holding on to the false hope of one day getting a paid position.

e: this doesn't apply to textbooks obviously, but I doubt a library is getting many of those unless it's a university library

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Womens Jeans posted:

As someone who does this, Amazon romance buyers would eat him alive. Probably erotica buyers too, if that's what you meant. People do expect some semblance of quality, even in self publishing. Also, there is :effort: involved.

If he could surmount those points, it's a pretty good idea. I hope never to read romance written by Benny, however.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 10, 2014

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Cab fare and cougars: a tale of unrequited love

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Not to bolster this terrible idea, but my local library has a used bookstore run by the Friends of the Library group that sells donated books and books being taken out of circulation from the library. All paperbacks are 50 cents, hardcovers $1.00. It's open twice a week, for about 6 hours total, and they consistently make about $200ish a week. This is with a dedicated volunteer staff that sorts donations, stocks, takes and fulfills requests, etc. It's basically a part-time job for my retiree parents and the rest of the Friends volunteers, because people feel better "donating" books to the bookstore rather than throwing them out I guess, and the bookstore ends up being a dumping ground. (The Friends end up having to arrange for recycling/disposal because the vast majority of what they're donated isn't sellable.)There's regulars who come in and buy boxes upon boxes to resell online or at their own used bookstores. All the money goes back to the library for projects, etc. they don't have the budget for. They've been able to do a lot of little projects, it's awesome.

So again, I don't think this is something BTS is capable of doing/should be doing, but who can resist interjecting their own real-life experience to a thread as if it's relevant? I can't!

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Actually, Benny can't give blood or plasma on account of being an alien. That's also why he doesn't understand or communicate basic English and also fails at grasping any sort of social etiquette or common sense.

Have any of you even read the thread? God. :colbert:

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I like how you guys are trying to establish ethical guidelines for a habitual liar, self-tasked to sell books that aren't-yet trash. I'm sure if he stole every single book, the library staff would be like "Welp! Now we don't have to bother with them."

Simoom posted:

So he can put "sales experience" on his resume.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you get good at flipping used library books, maybe you could flip houses next.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Arian_Samurai posted:

If you get good at flipping used library books, maybe you could flip houses next.

Benny trying to flip a house would be hilarious. He would have a pile of Papyrus thank you cards and a big dumb grin on his face as he follows people around from room to room and trying to 'lean in' on each potential buyer. He would probably try to do all the work on the house himself too so that would be awesome.

I would never buy a Benny flipped house but I would want to watch him try and sell it.

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW
I have an excellent job opportunity for you, Benny. I will paypal you $20 if you post a picture of your degree. Assuming it takes you 5 minutes to do this, that's $240 an hour!

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp

Arian_Samurai posted:

And when he fails at these, he can flip burgers for a week before getting fired for flipping them outside in a nearby alley.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

quote:

Oh, it's definitely not a good or productive idea. He's focusing on it because it will let him pretend he's working on a goal without actually doing anything.

Benny is so loving stupid, close thread/vote it 1.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

systran posted:

Benny is so loving stupid, close thread/vote it 1.

You know the only sale he might actually make is to a goon who was ACTIVELY trying to CONVINCE Benny to sell him books. That won't ever happen again and Benny will just sit there waiting for the magic to happen. The world will keep turning as Benny grows older, still waiting for a moment to come find him, until he finally dies.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Benny, doesn't it bother you that most people in this thread, myself included, think you are a lazy gently caress that has put no real effort into becoming a normal functioning adult?

That we think if you actually gave a poo poo, listened to advice and learned from your mistakes that you could probably have your own studio apartment by now?

Do you care about anything except your comics and the other media you consume?

Stop taking the easy way out all the loving time. Make a loving effort, leave your comfort zone and you'll surprise yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

nerve posted:

Benny, doesn't it bother you that most people in this thread, myself included, think you are a lazy gently caress that has put no real effort into becoming a normal functioning adult?

That we think if you actually gave a poo poo, listened to advice and learned from your mistakes that you could probably have your own studio apartment by now?

Do you care about anything except your comics and the other media you consume?

Stop taking the easy way out all the loving time. Make a loving effort, leave your comfort zone and you'll surprise yourself.

Can we quote this till he replies and/or mod challenge it? This is pretty much all that's left, at this point.

• Locked thread