Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

And then by week two they'll realize the deck is better without Waste Not, because if you're successfully Rakdos's Returning for any significant quantity you're probably winning anyway.

What I actually want to do with Waste Not is run it in a multiplayer game with Sire of Insanity :getin:

I'm just gonna let you know, people who play multiplayer HAAAATEE Sire of Insanity.

Not that it should stop you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Reclamation Sage looks like it could see play over Harmonic Sliver for pod, being more powerful in case it comes to beating down, easier to cast if it ends up in your hand, and the ability now being optional could also matter. The downside is less of a combo with phantasmal image, but if you're not playing that then it's basically straight-up better.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

TheKingofSprings posted:

This core set looks a lot better than M13-14 looked so far, so that's certainly positive in my book. There are a few cards I'm interested in, in particular that 2 mana blue enchantment that rewards for attacking with 2 or more (though it's honestly probably a good deal worse than Bident). I'm especially interested in the rest of the make-a-cards, though the cynical side of me is guessing at least half will be useless EDH garbage.

Except for an unfortunate green creature that we won't talk about, M13 owned pretty hard. M14 sucked real bad though, agreed on that front.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

M13 was pretty much the best core set limited so far. Mostly just hoping good limited playability from M15.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
M13 was the best core set. It played super nice in limited, all the colors were good, and it had cool cycles like the allied-bonus creatures (Flinthoof Boar et al.) and the Ring Cycle which I wish they'd bring back instead of doing another variation on the loving lifegain lucky charms again.

M14 limited was so bad. White was severely underpowered and every deck felt like it was full of way more boring cards that you'd expect even given that it's a core set. And maybe I'm wrong because I didn't play much of it, but it felt like there weren't any interesting archetypes. Was mill even viable? You could definitely draft that deck in M13 with Mind Sculpt and the 1/4 that tapped to mill 2 at common. In M14 you're only a "mill deck" if you draw the Jace you opened.

You could do "all the sac outlets and 5 Act of Treasons" but that was really unlikely to pull together.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
M14 limited gave us monoblue turbodraw, where you played Elixir of Immortality because you were more likely to kill yourself via draw than to die to your opponent. It also had a pretty decent green deck with Howl of the Night Pack. White blew chunks, though. Really, the problem was that the mechanic was Slivers. They were just good enough that everyone would pick them up here and there, which meant that you never saw them actually *do* anything because all the slivers were spread out.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Slivers was a boring returning mechanic and it didn't play well in draft. Exalted was way more fun.
Interested to see what they do with Convoke. I'm hoping Battle Cry makes a return as a core set mechanic some day soon though. :black101:

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
M14 limited was really bad, on par with AVR but actually worse because you didn't have at least the fading Innistrad storyline and Slivers as a mechanic is balls-out awful.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I can't remember if M12 draft was any fun. Bloodthirst was cool, but then you had the "oops I opened a Titan GG" factor. If there was a ever a set of bombs to make you change colors in Pack 3, it was the Titans.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I thought M12 draft was pretty fun, but that might be because I'm a beatdown player at heart, and that was the kind of deck you usually wanted to draft in M12.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I had never drafted before until Scars / M12 ish, but were there any core sets before then that were good draft environments? I know core sets have a reputation for being boring and bad limited, but I gather M10 was the turning point? It seems like that was when they had a big rethink about how core sets should be designed, for the better.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Bloodthirst was a lot of fun. Slivers, not so much.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

I had never drafted before until Scars / M12 ish, but were there any core sets before then that were good draft environments? I know core sets have a reputation for being boring and bad limited, but I gather M10 was the turning point? It seems like that was when they had a big rethink about how core sets should be designed, for the better.

Core sets were utterly godawful for limited before M10, because they weren't designed for limited; they were designed as an easy set for new players and that's it. Before M10, core set limited was not a thing Wizards supported, it wasn't a PTQ format or used in Nationals or anything.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

I can't remember if M12 draft was any fun. Bloodthirst was cool, but then you had the "oops I opened a Titan GG" factor. If there was a ever a set of bombs to make you change colors in Pack 3, it was the Titans.

That's more of why Standard while the Titans were in it sucked. Couldn't go anywhere without them jumping in your face and rubbing their crotches over it.

Of the core sets, I'd say M13 was the best and I'm definitely hoping M15 lends itself well to just going wild with making little armies. Tokens were my favorite part when I started playing and still remain near and dear to my heart.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's great that it was good for limited, but for constructed both sets were super bad, especially compared to M11 and M12.

And I don't care about limited, so that pretty much doomed them. v:v:v

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

an skeleton posted:

M14 limited was really bad, on par with AVR but actually worse because you didn't have at least the fading Innistrad storyline and Slivers as a mechanic is balls-out awful.

I had a really good time playing M14 limited. Especially green. But that could've been because I wasn't playing magic in between like Nemesis and M14...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's great that it was good for limited, but for constructed both sets were super bad, especially compared to M11 and M12.

And I don't care about limited, so that pretty much doomed them. v:v:v

Weirdly, for white cards being such rear end in M14 limited, they're super good for constructed right now. I just won a GPT with the white weenie deck that runs Path of Bravery, Banisher Priest, Mutavault, Celestial Flare, Brave the Elements and Fiendslayer Paladin. I even had an Imposing Sovereign in the sideboard. Of course it's mainly built around having 16 one-drops, none of which are M14, plus the 2 Theros block anthems.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

The best thing M14 had going for it was the R/B sacrifice deck which was a ton of fun to draft and play. Otherwise, it was pretty boring and it looks like they didn't even bother trying to balance the colors. It's not a bad set to draft but you can only cast so many Seacoast Drakes and Divinations before you get sick of it.

M12 was mostly fine but Bloodthirst was kind of annoying in that it really, really enticed you into blocking when you wouldn't otherwise. I liked the Mage cycle though and Call to the Grave was a really fun card to build around.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Retcon posted:

The best thing M14 had going for it was the R/B sacrifice deck which was a ton of fun to draft and play. Otherwise, it was pretty boring and it looks like they didn't even bother trying to balance the colors. It's not a bad set to draft but you can only cast so many Seacoast Drakes and Divinations before you get sick of it.

M12 was mostly fine but Bloodthirst was kind of annoying in that it really, really enticed you into blocking when you wouldn't otherwise. I liked the Mage cycle though and Call to the Grave was a really fun card to build around.

I forgot about the mage cycle, that was cool. Did M14 even have an uncommon cycle?

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Entropic posted:

I forgot about the mage cycle, that was cool. Did M14 even have an uncommon cycle?
Only the Staff cycle, sadly. Pretty disappointing after both M12 and M13 had very interesting cycles at uncommon.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Entropic posted:

Did M14 even have an uncommon cycle?

It did indeed have an uncommon cycle! ...of lifegain staves.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

How could you forget the new and improved lucky charms?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Elyv posted:

So what do you guys think of the M15 spoilers so far? http://mythicspoiler.com/m15/

I think I'm too jaded, because the most interesting cards to me are Ulcerate and Quickling. Phytotitan is pretty cool, though. Genesis Hydra seems like a pretty neat EDH card/top end in a ramp deck as well.

Genesis Hydra is probably standard playable in a set with carytid, courser, nykthos. Monogreen devotion drop a fatty get a fatty free?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Elyv posted:

So what do you guys think of the M15 spoilers so far? http://mythicspoiler.com/m15/

I think I'm too jaded, because the most interesting cards to me are Ulcerate and Quickling. Phytotitan is pretty cool, though. Genesis Hydra seems like a pretty neat EDH card/top end in a ramp deck as well.

Hot Soup is the stupidest name for a magic card.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Nope it's awesome.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I wonder if Vintage Masters is even going to be a fun set to draft. Even doing practice drafts I feel a little confused about what I should be looking for.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

How could you forget the new and improved lucky charms?

I must have blocked them out.

M13 had the Flinthoof Boar cycle AND the Ring Cycle, M14 got lucky charms that cost more mana.

Bugsy posted:

Hot Soup is the stupidest name for a magic card.

I'm still hoping that's just a playtest name.

Angry Grimace posted:

I wonder if Vintage Masters is even going to be a fun set to draft. Even doing practice drafts I feel a little confused about what I should be looking for.

I had the exact same thought looking at the packs on a drafting sim site. You can draft a bad U/G madness deck if you're really lucky I guess, or a mediocre goblins deck, or a reanimator deck with a lack of any real good targets... The restriction to non-modern-legal cards really hurts it and makes the environment look really bland and full of filler. Mind you I've never played with a lot of these old cards so maybe I'm missing something? But hey, you can open dual lands or Jace or Mana Drain or if you draft it 50 times maybe you'll get lucky and open power! Woo.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 10, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

I must have blocked them out.

M13 had the Flinthoof Boar cycle AND the Ring Cycle, M14 got lucky charms that cost more mana.

I'm still hoping that's just a playtest name.

I had the exact same thought looking at the packs on a drafting sim site. You can draft a bad U/G madness deck if you're really lucky I guess, or a mediocre goblins deck, or a reanimator deck with a lack of any real good targets... The restriction to non-modern-legal cards really hurts it and makes the environment look really bland and full of filler. Mind you I've never played with a lot of these old cards so maybe I'm missing something? But hey, you can open dual lands or Jace or Mana Drain or if you draft it 50 times maybe you'll get lucky and open power! Woo.

I guess I just don't get what the point of excluding Modern legal cards was, beyond trying not to piss off people who bought Modern Masters. Vintage-era creatures were loving bad, which seems like it won't lend itself well to a draft format.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, I mean obviously the AI in draft sims suck, but just open a pack Vintage pack on this and tell me it's exciting to look at:
http://drafts.in/

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

I guess I just don't get what the point of excluding Modern legal cards was, beyond trying not to piss off people who bought Modern Masters. Vintage-era creatures were loving bad, which seems like it won't lend itself well to a draft format.

There's actually a surprising amount of solid creatures from Tempest and Urza blocks, we just don't see too much of them in the modern era because they're not good enough for Legacy. Green's Echo creatures, in particular, were all kind of absurd - Simian Grunts won more games for me than almost any other card back in high school.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

Yeah, I mean obviously the AI in draft sims suck, but just open a pack Vintage pack on this and tell me it's exciting to look at:
http://drafts.in/

I played around with that enough to know there's no way they actually changed the algorithm to account for the fact that Power 9 is super special rare, because it shits moxes at me every other draft.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Both Hot Soup and Meteorite are stupid, bland, dumb names that are, exactly and perfectly, Yu-Gi-OH! card names. They are super-generic and I hate them.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Everblight posted:

Both Hot Soup and Meteorite are stupid, bland, dumb names that are, exactly and perfectly, Yu-Gi-OH! card names. They are super-generic and I hate them.

Meteorite's not that bad, is it? It could use an adjective (Glimmering?), but the idea is that it's a font of mana that you summon down from the heavens to bonk someone on the way in.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.
I'd have forgiven Hot Soup if they brought back a Foglio for the illustration.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

I played around with that enough to know there's no way they actually changed the algorithm to account for the fact that Power 9 is super special rare, because it shits moxes at me every other draft.

I've played with it a bunch and have yet to see any power.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I really like the card name Meteorite. There's precious few card names in Magic that aren't totally bland interchangeable Adjectivenoun Verber or Storycharacter's Objectoraction.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Everblight posted:

Wait, they aren't just the playtest names?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Promoted Pawn posted:

Wait, they aren't just the playtest names?

I sure hope not.

Attorney at Funk posted:

I really like the card name Meteorite. There's precious few card names in Magic that aren't totally bland interchangeable Adjectivenoun Verber or Storycharacter's Objectoraction.

This is exactly why "Hot soup" is a good name too. Plus it makes people mad about flavor, but it's a friggin core set calm down.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

I've played with it a bunch and have yet to see any power.

I did a mock Sealed and got Time Walk, Timetwister, and a Mox Emerald.

I liked the one I just simmed now that gave me Necropotence and three Dark Rituals.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

weird vanilla posted:

I'd have forgiven Hot Soup if they brought back a Foglio for the illustration.

Yes, this. I like the silly theme. Makes me think of Mudbutton Torchrunner in terms of how it works in-universe, though probably more edible (then again, with goblins you never know).

Niton posted:

Meteorite's not that bad, is it? It could use an adjective (Glimmering?), but the idea is that it's a font of mana that you summon down from the heavens to bonk someone on the way in.

Doesn't even need an adjective. They ought to print a card that's just Meteorite at some point. Granted I wish they weren't going to throw a simple, punchy name away on what looks to be limited material.

Basically this:

Attorney at Funk posted:

We'll have Corrupted Meteorite and Demonblood Hot Soup soon enough, I'm sure.

• Locked thread