Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

If you think that's not edited then you're dumb as poo poo.

Ketchup Robot's family is growing! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I still don't know why those robots are cute/funny, but they are.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CiE32h55HI

This video is everything I wanted it to be

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's like a real life version of the Red Dwarf scutters and it's everything I want it to be.

Thriftwood
Dec 13, 2005

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Devor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CiE32h55HI

This video is everything I wanted it to be

I have no idea why these robot videos are so hilarious. It's such good slapstick.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.

Oh man, Modern Times is great - the first time I saw that scene I didn't expect to laugh as hard as I did.

For anyone who hasn't seen the film, it's a definite must-see, but here's the food scene in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_1apYo6-Ow

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

:awesomelon: EAT! EAT! EAT! EAT!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That dude looks incredibly familiar and I have no idea why.
That’s Michael Gothard, who was the bad guy in “For Your Eyes Only” and was John Felton in the 1970s “Three Musketeers” movies.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The lady looks like Kevin Kline in West World drag though.
That’s Graham Armitage, who there’s very little information about, even though he did a lot of film and theater work in the 70s, including another fantastic Ken Russell film: "The Boy Friend".

Schlinky posted:

Oh man, Modern Times is great - the first time I saw that scene I didn't expect to laugh as hard as I did.

For anyone who hasn't seen the film, it's a definite must-see, but here's the food scene in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_1apYo6-Ow
Chaplin was controlling that machine by the way, and his movements were so violent that his face was heavily bruised after filming.

That still isn’t quite as astonishing as what happened on the set of “The Gold Rush”. There’s a scene where Chaplin and his companion cook and eat their shoes because they’re starving. The shoe leather was actually licorice so the actors could eat it. After a full day of filming just that scene, both actors had insulin shock and had to be hospitalized.

Police Story (speaking of incredibly painful stunts)

That isn't safety glass in those first two gifs by the way. Jackie Chan and that poor stuntman are being slammed and smashed through real plate glass.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

It's no use.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Engine's flooded with too many bad posts.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Robert Denby posted:

That isn't safety glass in those first two gifs by the way. Jackie Chan and that poor stuntman are being slammed and smashed through real plate glass.

whaaaaaaat :stare:

Isn't that supposed to shred their faces like coleslaw?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Now build one that pours a liter of cola

Seventh Arrow posted:

99% sure this is not the case, candy glass is Old Skool filmmaking

Chard has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Jun 10, 2014

TheFatTubist
Feb 2, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

Well, some people would say the dude is a master of stunts. And it seems, at some point, he and his stunt company went all "lol, safety!"

Also, I had a real crappy time trying to find good Jackie Chan gifs. Does this mean I'll have to watch his movies AGAIN to make some? Drat!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HK cinema for a long time did not have the best safety standards, but from what I hear in Police Story the glass was custom-made so that it would be easier to break than standard glass, but doesn't look as fake as sugar glass. Also in Police Story, when Jackie slid down a line of lights? His hands were badly burned and nearly broke some vertibrae when he hit the ground.

All in all, though, Jackie Chan and his stunt crew tended to get badly hurt while filming a lot of movies.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Edit: Almost forgot to list the movie!

Wheels on Meals

Ghostpilot has a new favorite as of 09:57 on Jun 10, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Robert Denby posted:

Police Story (speaking of incredibly painful stunts)

You didn't include the one where he gets second degree burns and dislocates his pelvis :colbert:

e: Police Story is a great movie

Invader Mat
Aug 16, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

That's loving stupid. All that poo poo is sugar glass.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, I misremembered that. Reading up on it, they did use sugar glass, just extra-thick sugar glass that looked more realistic, at the expense of actually giving their stunt crew cuts.

It's kind of funny how far they went to sell a stunt on a relatively low budget that it's more surprising when they do do the sane thing.

(This was not one of those times.)

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Bad-rear end stunt where stuntman jumps through real plate glass, onto a truck full of broken bottles and rattle snakes:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Didn't some guy try to break the world record for jumping through panes of glass and fail to get through more than zero and broke his neck in the process?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

particle409 posted:

Bad-rear end stunt where stuntman jumps through real plate glass, onto a truck full of broken bottles and rattle snakes:

You've gotta be pretty brave to be a stuntman.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah, I misremembered that. Reading up on it, they did use sugar glass, just extra-thick sugar glass that looked more realistic, at the expense of actually giving their stunt crew cuts.

Yeah real glass is waaaay too dangerous for any kind of stunt work. Will gently caress you up something shocking because it likes to shatter into razor shards that also dont "move" out of their frame readily.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nutsngum posted:

Yeah real glass is waaaay too dangerous for any kind of stunt work. Will gently caress you up something shocking because it likes to shatter into razor shards that also dont "move" out of their frame readily.

I put my hand through a plate glass window once, and I was picking out shards for weeks afterwards.

The stunts in those gifs with real glass would have put the stuntmen in the hospital at the very least. Possibly the morgue with an unlucky cut.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Invader Mat posted:

That's loving stupid. All that poo poo is sugar glass.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Whoops. :downs:

While we're on the topic of Hong Kong action movies...

Hard Boiled

And just because...

Die Hard

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ghostpilot posted:

Edit: Almost forgot to list the movie!

Wheels on Meals

Hey, it's Felix La PuBelle! Benny Urquidez and John Cusack had an awesome fight scene in Grosse Point Blank because Urquidez was Cusack's fight trainer, so they could both go a little harder at each other than if it had been 2 actors.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

drat, I came here to post this.

EAT THE loving BISCUIT MEATBAG

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep

TheFatTubist posted:

Also, I had a real crappy time trying to find good Jackie Chan gifs. Does this mean I'll have to watch his movies AGAIN to make some? Drat!

Hey if you do make one from the last fight scene of Who Am I. At the very end when he and the other guy keep kicking each other in the shins for about 30 seconds. That is probably my favorite Jackie Chan fight scene.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Aww, what happened to the smugdance smilie.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Or the entire 20 minute fight scene from the Drunken Master remake.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Aericura
Jun 12, 2003
I will eat your soul.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

AFewBricksShy posted:

Hey, it's Felix La PuBelle! Benny Urquidez and John Cusack had an awesome fight scene in Grosse Point Blank because Urquidez was Cusack's fight trainer, so they could both go a little harder at each other than if it had been 2 actors.

I was just about to ask this. Does anyone have a gif of that fight, where Cusack sidekicks the poo poo out of him? Its around the 1:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ScNLt2zNc

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.

Hughmoris posted:

I was just about to ask this. Does anyone have a gif of that fight, where Cusack sidekicks the poo poo out of him? Its around the 1:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ScNLt2zNc

KingGenu
Nov 5, 2012

Duty only ends in death :O
http://www.polygon.com/e3-2014/2014/6/10/5797018/iwata-vs-fils-aime-the-frame-by-frame-fight

KingGenu has a new favorite as of 19:56 on Jun 10, 2014

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

Elysiume posted:

Didn't some guy try to break the world record for jumping through panes of glass and fail to get through more than zero and broke his neck in the process?

Read and laugh. Or weep, whatevs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Man this must have been fun to make.

• Locked thread