Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The best thing about the anime is even the fodder humans got a chance to shine here and there. Far as I'm concerned the climax of the Cell Saga isthe single greatest point in "Z." Whether it's Gohan going SSJ2 or Super Perfect Cell returning or Vegeta attacking him to try and redeem himself for how badly he treated his son, it was all perfect. In the mix of this there was of course how Yamcha, Tien, Krillin and Piccolo all attacked Cell during the Kamehameha Wave Battle. Sure they never stood a chance but it was awesome and a bit inspirational because they knew full well they had no chance and could be killed but they did it all to try and be heroes just like Goku and his son.

Now I have to post the scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec6fR11dHUk

Now that I'm older I mostly regard DBZ as a guilty pleasure but there are legitimately good moments here and there and that ending is one of them.
"I AM PERFECT!!!!!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

bobjr posted:

It's a shame no one else decided to learn the Kaio-ken.

Maybe Kaio thought they all had heart but not worthy of learning it. He did consider Son his greatest student.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

NikkolasKing posted:

The best thing about the anime is even the fodder humans got a chance to shine here and there. Far as I'm concerned the climax of the Cell Saga isthe single greatest point in "Z." Whether it's Gohan going SSJ2 or Super Perfect Cell returning or Vegeta attacking him to try and redeem himself for how badly he treated his son, it was all perfect. In the mix of this there was of course how Yamcha, Tien, Krillin and Piccolo all attacked Cell during the Kamehameha Wave Battle. Sure they never stood a chance but it was awesome and a bit inspirational because they knew full well they had no chance and could be killed but they did it all to try and be heroes just like Goku and his son.

Now I have to post the scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec6fR11dHUk

Now that I'm older I mostly regard DBZ as a guilty pleasure but there are legitimately good moments here and there and that ending is one of them.
"I AM PERFECT!!!!!!!!!"

Yeah, I see your point; but it also underscores how loving worthless they are while making Vegeta's assistance less heroic. It goes from Vegeta returning Gohan's favor to almost an act of cowardice, since why didn't he pitch in when every one else was helping?

e: like, for real. Everything was on the line at that point, and the collective best of all those fighters couldn't even make Cell flinch. They all might as well all have retired and worked at a bread factory after that.

Which is another thing that makes Dragon Ball so much better. Even Yamcha, who was lowest tier at that point, had a fighting chance against some opponents.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 10, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

Yeah, I see your point; but it also underscores how loving worthless they are while making Vegeta's assistance less heroic. It goes from Vegeta returning Gohan's favor to almost an act of cowardice, since why didn't he pitch in when every one else was helping?

Vegeta got his poo poo rocked when cell first came back. He went nuts when trucks died and cell just curb stomped him. He was injured, so that's why he only showed up later.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The World Martial Arts Tournmanets/Tenkaichi Budokais were great because everyone got to look good. Did Krillin ever stand a chance against Goku? Hell no. Did he stand a chance against Piccolo? Hell no. But damned if he wasn't impressive in just how hard he fought. Same for Yamcha. This is Goku's show so obviously Goku is gonna win but Krillin and Yamcha still got to show off their skills and how good they really were. Some people say DB was just as bad as Z in making everyone else look like poo poo but I totally disagree.

Also the Red Ribbon Arc > 22nd Tournament Arc > King Piccolo Arc are the greatest series of episodes in DB or Z. I really wish they would release DB Blu-Rays... They did it for Yu Yu Hakusho and Gundam. Why not classic Dragon Ball? I'd buy that poo poo up in a second.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
They probably lost the originals and don't think DB is popular enough to be worth the effort of recreating it.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

They probably lost the originals and don't think DB is popular enough to be worth the effort of recreating it.

The film negatives? They still have those.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

NikkolasKing posted:

The World Martial Arts Tournmanets/Tenkaichi Budokais were great because everyone got to look good. Did Krillin ever stand a chance against Goku? Hell no. Did he stand a chance against Piccolo? Hell no. But damned if he wasn't impressive in just how hard he fought. Same for Yamcha. This is Goku's show so obviously Goku is gonna win but Krillin and Yamcha still got to show off their skills and how good they really were. Some people say DB was just as bad as Z in making everyone else look like poo poo but I totally disagree.

I completely agree. In the non-tournament plots the others didn't really get much of a chance to show off (shining example being Tien against Drum), but drat did it look like Tien and Krillin had a chance against Goku in the tournament sagas.

quote:

Also the Red Ribbon Arc > 22nd Tournament Arc > King Piccolo Arc are the greatest series of episodes in DB or Z. I really wish they would release DB Blu-Rays... They did it for Yu Yu Hakusho and Gundam. Why not classic Dragon Ball? I'd buy that poo poo up in a second.

I'd shift it from 22nd Tournament to Saiyan Saga, maybe Freeza. The Red Ribbon Arc is pretty good for the most part, but I found the entirety of the General Blue part to be terrible. I was kind of glad when Tao Pai Pai offed him.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The Saiyan arc was pretty awesome; Goku vs Vegeta is one of my favorite fights.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The thing most irritating about GT is how weak Pan is. Daughter of Gohan, one of the most powerful beings in the universe, and Videl, a pretty strong fighter in her own right, should be a badass even as a kid. Instead, she plays a far less useful Bulma-esque role. How stupid. Goten could go Super Saiyan at her age and for him it just kinda happened when he was sparring.

Thank god someone feels the same way I do.

I kinda wanna rewatch GT and make a note of every time Pan should have gone Super-saiyan to make her more relevant, but I am not sure I hate myself quite that much.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

I'd shift it from 22nd Tournament to Saiyan Saga, maybe Freeza. The Red Ribbon Arc is pretty good for the most part, but I found the entirety of the General Blue part to be terrible. I was kind of glad when Tao Pai Pai offed him.

Are you saying the arc that brought Arale to the DB universe was bad.

Tao Pai Pai was great though, in DBZ everyone can just fly like it ain't no thing, but in DB people got creative when they gotta get somewhere fast, and nothing beats throwing and then riding a pillar at super-high speeds in my book.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
When I was a kid I saw DB after seeing the Freiza arc of Z, I think. Definitely after some Z.

When I saw Tao Pie Pie I thought he was the most badass thing ever in the entire Dragonball universe. Fucker killed Blue with his tongue and flew around on giant columns he hurled. :drat:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Mordaedil posted:

Thank god someone feels the same way I do.

I kinda wanna rewatch GT and make a note of every time Pan should have gone Super-saiyan to make her more relevant, but I am not sure I hate myself quite that much.

They really dropped the ball on that one, and it made me glad when i found out that GT isn't canon. Or is canon but is a side universe, or whatever it is.

To the point, Pan should have being Goten's equal at least! :arghfist::(

And Trunks should have been less terrible too. I dont know why i think that because GT is a blur, but i remember comparing him to Future trunks and being disappointed.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
There is no way that GT Trunks could ever be as cool as Future Trunks, because as has been said earlier in the thread FT grew up fighting in a dystopian hellscape and was a hardened badass.

Growing up safe post-Buu meant there was nothing to stop him from going Gohan w/r/to being half-human and having his sayian fighting spirit diluted.

That said, there was no goddamn reason to make him into Yamcha.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

visceril posted:

Growing up safe post-Buu

a pink genie killing everyone on earth is dbz's 9/11

Edit: In a post-Buu society President Dog's political opponents ask him what he plans to do in case a space cat comes to blow up earth or something. It was considered a controversial move when he outright rejected creating invincible killer androids on the grounds that it's "immoral" and "incredibly dangerous" in favour of just asking his friend the space monkey to take care of things.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 11, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

visceril posted:

When I was a kid I saw DB after seeing the Freiza arc of Z, I think. Definitely after some Z.

When I saw Tao Pie Pie I thought he was the most badass thing ever in the entire Dragonball universe. Fucker killed Blue with his tongue and flew around on giant columns he hurled. :drat:

Everything is great about Tao but one of his most outstanding features is that Funi's dub had Kent Williams voice him. (he would go on to be Father in FMA Brotherhood) Williams' Tao is very reminiscent of other dubs - namely bad Kung-Fu dubs. I've met several people tho immediately think of Master Pain/Betty in Kung Pow for example when they hear Tao. (and he of course was a parody of the aforementioned bad kung-fu dubs)

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
^^^
HOPE

Does that make Trunks a Koch or a Soros?

Diamond Joe Piccolo just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

NikkolasKing posted:

Everything is great about Tao but one of his most outstanding features is that Funi's dub had Kent Williams voice him. (he would go on to be Father in FMA Brotherhood) Williams' Tao is very reminiscent of other dubs - namely bad Kung-Fu dubs. I've met several people tho immediately think of Master Pain/Betty in Kung Pow for example when they hear Tao. (and he of course was a parody of the aforementioned bad kung-fu dubs)

You are so right he does sound like Betty, haha.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

NikkolasKing posted:

I hope you all celebrated Piccolo Day.
No one cares about Piccolo Day.

Today is the true DBZ Holiday, Kamehameha Day.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This reminds me, one thing they did in DBZ a couple of times that I thought was pretty cool was flashbacks to the original Dragon Ball series. The first one was at the tail-end of the Freeza saga when all his victims are restored to life and sent to Earth, and Piccolo reminisces about his rivalry with Goku leading up to the 23rd world martial arts tournament; the second was a recap of the Red Ribbon Army saga provided by Master Roshi at the start of the Android saga; and the third was a recap of past world martial arts tournaments (again courtesy of Roshi) when the Cell Games are announced.

However, one quite curious change they made was to identify Dr Gero and Mercenary Tao (as "General" Tao) as the leaders of the Red Ribbon Army (presumably for the purposes of the filler episodes between Goku and Gohan training in the time chamber and the beginning of the Cell Games, where Tao shows up working for a succession of mobsters).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Vintimus Prime posted:

Maybe Kaio thought they all had heart but not worthy of learning it. He did consider Son his greatest student.

Okay it's weird, but per Kai everyone /does/ learn Kaioken.

Piccolo explicitly states when he fights 20 that every one of them has learnt how to increase their power significantly in short bursts which is basically exactly what Kaioken does.

I believe back in the Frieza saga Goku fights Frieza at 10x Kaioken with no visible aura.

So it's entirely plausible that they do all know it and just don't scream Kaioken when they do it and don't go for crazy suicide boosts the same way that Goku does because they're more concerned about exploding than him.

I mean hell, I the Neo Tribeam is basically exactly the same as a Kaioken boost that's too strong for your body to handle.

In a borderline horrible fanfictiony aside:

I know the "Villains return from hell" plot is overdone because of Fusion Reborn and GT, but it would honestly be excellent if there was a single movie where every villain who died on earth came back. Instead of just having Gohan fly around and murder all of them, it'd be cool if you then had characters square off against villains of roughly equivalent powerlevel and just go for it. Like I would legit love Yamcha, Krillin and Tien after 20 years of training squaring off against Frieza Cooler and Cold, similarly with Piccolo against Cell. I think that's what was good about the Tournaments in Dragonball. You got to see all these side characters fight and pull crazy techniques out their asses because they'd been practicing and all these different strategies.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

In a borderline horrible fanfictiony aside:

I know the "Villains return from hell" plot is overdone because of Fusion Reborn and GT, but it would honestly be excellent if there was a single movie where every villain who died on earth came back. Instead of just having Gohan fly around and murder all of them, it'd be cool if you then had characters square off against villains of roughly equivalent powerlevel and just go for it. Like I would legit love Yamcha, Krillin and Tien after 20 years of training squaring off against Frieza Cooler and Cold, similarly with Piccolo against Cell. I think that's what was good about the Tournaments in Dragonball. You got to see all these side characters fight and pull crazy techniques out their asses because they'd been practicing and all these different strategies.

Isn't there an OVA that has smog-ghosts of all the primary Z villains show up?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Monaghan posted:

Vegeta got his poo poo rocked when cell first came back. He went nuts when trucks died and cell just curb stomped him. He was injured, so that's why he only showed up later.

Not only that, but it took like ten minutes of charging him to do a Final Flash earlier. This was (presumably) weaker than that attack, but he was also more injured and more exhausted for it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Happy Kamehameha Day!

New DragonBall Z Game Announced (yes, another one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb58d7KldDg

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Happy Kamehameha Day!

The tiny amount of what looked like gameplay footage looked pretty interesting.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Please be like Budokai Tenkaichi :ohdear:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cardboard Box A posted:

Happy Kamehameha Day!

Oh sweet, Crisis on Infinite Gokus.

MastG
May 25, 2014

Cardboard Box A posted:

Happy Kamehameha Day!

It's being developed by the same people that made the Budokai games and Burst Limit. Maybe it'll actually be fun.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

How is that new game anyway?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Battle of Z? It's alright, but wait for a sale. I got mine for :10bux: and that's about what it's worth.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
That art style... why is everyone glistening?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Webbeh posted:

Ripped men love to glisten.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Webbeh posted:

I know right? Why isn't the Naruto games' art style the default one for games based on cartoons already?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
At least they mentioned characters will react to getting hit. I always hated that all the characters were stone faced and bored looking in the Budokai Tenkaichi games.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Squallege posted:

At least they mentioned characters will react to getting hit. I always hated that all the characters were stone faced and bored looking in the Budokai Tenkaichi games.

Recently replaying the second Budokai Tenkaichi I could of sworn I saw characters make expressions whenever being punched or whacked.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

SirDrone posted:

Recently replaying the second Budokai Tenkaichi I could of sworn I saw characters make expressions whenever being punched or whacked.

I couldn't find a screenshot but I remember Kid Goku having the :geno: face for Nam's entire super move.

MastG
May 25, 2014

SirDrone posted:

Squallege posted:

I couldn't find a screenshot but I remember Kid Goku having the :geno: face for Nam's entire super move.

It depends, sometimes their faces were scripted to change and sometimes they weren't.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The title to most every Dragonball episode is an overt spoiler to what happens in the episode. "Then There Were 8". I mean like, I know Goku isn't going to lose in the eliminations, but surely they didn't need to let me know before I saw it. Anyone know why the episodes are so badly named?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
The worst was "will Goku be able to defeat Freiza?! Find out on the next episode: The Death of Freiza"

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
"Who is this mysterious new fighter? Find out next time!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
At least that one was a red herring, since Freiza doesn't actually die.

Also, Launch is such a terrible character. I really dislike any time she is on frame. So happy she fell into obscurity come Z.

e; hahahah

• Locked thread