Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Dravs posted:

Who currently holds your passport? I hope you keep it in your back pocket all the time.

Isn't the Garcia report due today? Do we get to see how much money he was paid to say how wonderful and corruption free FIFA is?

It's due after the Brazil World Cup. I have my passport but require an exit permit and a bank clearance to make it past passport control :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

corpuscollossus posted:

It's due after the Brazil World Cup. I have my passport but require an exit permit and a bank clearance to make it past passport control :shepicide:

Not to feed on your personal misfortune but I would be legit interested in an "[Ask] me about being a prisoner working in Qatar" thread.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sticksy posted:

What would the criteria need to be for some sort of charges or at least penalties against Blatter / an organization like FIFA be?

Would Switzerland need to actually pursue it or could say US law enforcement use something like the RICO statutes they like use to make anything all of a sudden a major felony? Just between the NYT article about crooked refs and documented collusion and bribery in the millions from Qatar in the last month, among other things, let alone all the other documented cases previously, there must be some sort of civil or criminal charges that could be filed right?

Of course nothing will ever happen to this grossly corrupt organization but it'd be nice if at least someone somewhere with jurisdiction tried to make a case against them.

A US court probably wouldn't have jurisdiction under RICO, unless there's an American involved, and even then it would be difficult to prosecute, and even harder to enforce, since extradition would probably cause an international incident.

The alien tort statute probably wouldn't work, because its a civil remedy and you'd have to find a person or organization who was directly harmed by FIFA's corruption, and you'd have to enforce the judgment via the Hague Convention, which would require the country of these shitlords to sign off on any judgment (assuming they even signed the convention. If they didnt it would just be ignored).

So yeah, it probably has to be Switzerland.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

blue footed boobie posted:

A US court probably wouldn't have jurisdiction under RICO, unless there's an American involved, and even then it would be difficult to prosecute, and even harder to enforce, since extradition would probably cause an international incident.

The alien tort statute probably wouldn't work, because its a civil remedy and you'd have to find a person or organization who was directly harmed by FIFA's corruption, and you'd have to enforce the judgment via the Hague Convention, which would require the country of these shitlords to sign off on any judgment (assuming they even signed the convention. If they didnt it would just be ignored).

So yeah, it probably has to be Switzerland.

Every country on earth could just pull the "arrest Sepp Blatter on sight" thing like they did with Dick Cheney and force him to never leave Switzerland.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/10/franz-beckenbauer-fine-fifa-investigation-world-cup

Beckenbauer might get fined by FIFA for refusing to help with the corruption investigation

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Media are saying theres a massive protest being planned for the first game of the World cup. I wonder how the broadcasters will disguise the noise of people getting shot?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

serious gaylord posted:

Media are saying theres a massive protest being planned for the first game of the World cup. I wonder how the broadcasters will disguise the noise of people getting shot?

Brazillian cops give no gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skomhYqOqjM

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

serious gaylord posted:

They could hand out vuvuzelas

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27787841

The FA's are starting to turn on him.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
This FIFA film couldn't have come at a better time. Maybe then the FAs that are causing trouble will see Sepp's vision and struggle.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Danish FA voiced their disapproval today as well. It won't change poo poo because UEFA only has like 53 of the 204 votes.

IMO, the important federations should have more votes

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Hegay posted:

Danish FA voiced their disapproval today as well. It won't change poo poo because UEFA only has like 53 of the 204 votes.

Racist.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

Not to feed on your personal misfortune but I would be legit interested in an "[Ask] me about being a prisoner working in Qatar" thread.

This would be a bad idea.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hegay posted:

About the only thing the European FAs can do to fight FIFA that would actually have an effect is withdraw entirely, start their own rival federation, and refuse to let their players play in any FIFA tournaments. Which would be just as poo poo, because the new organization would be run by Platini and he would be equally corrupt. Plus there's no chance of it actually happening.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

haha you think he'll listen to anybody in Europe lol

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

In case anyone had any hope that anything meaningful will change or be done: it won't. Just a reminder.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Hegay posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Votes based on FIFA Rankings. Spain gets like 1, American Samoa gets 250.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Peanut President posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Votes based on FIFA Rankings. Spain gets like 1, American Samoa gets 250.

They probably should change it to something along the lines of the top 40 countries get 5 votes each, next 40 get 4, next 40 get 3, and so on until the bottom 49 or whatever get 1 vote each. It prevents the larger and better countries from totally dominating the whole thing but also get rid of the coalition shenanigans we have now, but lmao if you think the guys from the Caribbean and Africa are giving up the power they get from having a shitload of countries in their continents.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Peanut President posted:

lol FIFA rankings are a massive joke

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Peanut President posted:

And the guy with the fewest votes win?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Oh, yes, if only people like Platini had more votes we'd never have a world cup in Qatar...

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Katana Gomai posted:

Just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJYXgMigfpo

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

joepinetree posted:

Oh, yes, if only people like Platini had more votes we'd never have a world cup in Qatar...

He's at least calling for re-election

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Hegay posted:

He's at least calling for re-election

He was one of those most pro-Qatar, wasn't he?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Was Taters posted:

He was one of those most pro-Qatar, wasn't he?

Yeah he is balls deep in oil money. He's just bluffing wrt a revote imo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My theory is that they all want a revote so that they can get another round of bribes. And who gives a poo poo if Qatar wins it again or not, it's not like Qatar can ask for their bribes back.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

vyelkin posted:

My theory is that they all want a revote so that they can get another round of bribes. And who gives a poo poo if Qatar wins it again or not, it's not like Qatar can ask for their bribes back.

They'll probably start dying of 'overdoses' though

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

They'll probably start dying of 'overdoses' though

Now there's a FIFA movie I'd watch. The board's token young member has to escape when Qatari hitmen start taking out the rest of the FIFA Executive for taking bribes but then double-crossing them. Put Tom Cruise in it and make him run a lot, and you've got a $300m movie right there.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

But what about all those sweet contracts to supply "consulting" on building air conditioned outdoor stadiums and whatnot?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

vyelkin posted:

Now there's a FIFA movie I'd watch. The board's token young member has to escape when Qatari hitmen start taking out the rest of the FIFA Executive for taking bribes but then double-crossing them. Put Tom Cruise in it and make him run a lot, and you've got a $300m movie right there.

A movie like Munich but called Zurich... I'd watch that

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Robocop 2 with Blatter and Platini as the bad guys.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
sweet Fifa fanfic

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Maradona sighed as he drew his katana

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I bet Putin is laughing his nuts off at this, what with everyone completely ignoring that his country is not fit to host a world cup in 4 years time.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

serious gaylord posted:

Vuvuzelas for everybody

hooooonk

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DOOP posted:

Vuvuzelas for everybody

hooooonk

I'm triggering hard here

And yeah it's laughable that Platini is now trying to act like a saint, he was one of the fuckers driving the hardest for Qatar to get the world cup and has come out to say he voted for them.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I bet Putin is laughing his nuts off at this, what with everyone completely ignoring that his country is not fit to host a world cup in 4 years time.

At least Russia is a footballing nation with a half-decent league and a team that can realistically make it through their group at home. On the other hand, Qatar is so blatantly about the money, it's just stupid.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tetsman posted:

At least Russia is a footballing nation with a half-decent league and a team that can realistically make it through their group at home. On the other hand, Qatar is so blatantly about the money, it's just stupid.

Yeah Russia at least has stadiums and infrastructure, and despite racism, corruption, bribery, and no-bid contracts for Putin's friends, at least their infrastructure probably won't see thousands of slaves worked to death in order to build it. It's not a good choice, but it's a choice that you could see a less corrupt organization still making if they thought it was a good idea.

Qatar literally has nothing going for it except bribery.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Der Shovel posted:

I'm triggering hard here

And yeah it's laughable that Platini is now trying to act like a saint, he was one of the fuckers driving the hardest for Qatar to get the world cup and has come out to say he voted for them.

Platini is pissed that Blatter is standing for election again. There was an agreement after the last one that Blatter would step down and Platini would take over. Internal squabbles often bring out all the skeletons in the closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Blatter vs. Platini thunderdome, give them chains and hooks and sickles and poo poo, watch them fight to the death. Once a victor emerges, after an hour-long struggle, scarred by battle and barely holding on to life, let him enjoy his victory for half a second before putting a bullet through the back of his head because football is dead.