Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

I would be very wary of career development loans unless you are very confident that the degree will enhance your future earning potential enough to justify the expense. Also, "affordability" shouldn't be a consideration if you're thinking about doing a PhD because you should only ever think about doing a PhD if you can make someone else (typically, one of the research councils) pay for it and give you a stipend while you're doing it.

Yeah, I must echo this, and stress that I saved beforehand to pay for a significant amount of the fees beforehand.

Regarding the PhD, that's pretty much what I meant: that I've been unable to secure funding in the past and that's the only way I'd consider doing it, not that I'd quite fancy doing it but don't have the cash in my wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, there I was thinking it had been a while since a Conservative MP was a massive prick. (well, more than usual)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27783331

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

Consistency. By giving everyone the same prep time, and the same things to prep you are comparing like-with-like when you compare one school's Outstanding to another school's Inadequate, rather than one school's Outstanding and another school's off-day.

You also need to be able to show lesson plans and other documentation in the format that Ofsted want them (they have thousands of schools to check after all).

Random inspections achieve nothing more than a planned one would. At the end of the day, if a school fails with a weeks notice, they're incompetent. If a school gets an Outstanding, they know what they're doing. I would liken it to driving on your test. It's not how you might normally drive, but you're still a competent driver if you pass, and a bad one if you fail.

Basically what you said plus...

It also takes time for lots of the pre-inspection admin to be done. Inspectors love to see the stats, and they have to be up to date. The governors also need to be available for interview, and they have other jobs (and aren't paid).

There may be special events occurring in school (Sports Days, Christmas play/summer production, High Holidays for faith schools etc) that would make inspecting on those days unrepresentative of the day to day operation of the school.

Teachers are almost never up to date on marking (marking these days is an involved process, no more red ticks and crosses, it can take me 1+ hours to mark the work from one single lesson), which is what I suspect was being hidden in car boots mentioned earlier. Marking/assessment is so crucial to good learning that ofsted will look very poorly on unmarked work. Of course it all gets marked, but you may be too busy to get to all of it everyday so you have a little backlog that needs to be done (every primary teacher I've worked with has had a little pile of work to be marked, which gets taken home and done on the weekend). Then there is the record keeping, tracking achievement of every pupil in every subject in every lesson (which involves a volume if paperwork I've only ever encountered before in clinical cancer drug trials).

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I paid for my whole first year out of my savings and then I randomly got these 'bursary' payments of 3 lots of 500 quid, which they are going regret because unless im loving lucky im going to fail.

I didnt apply for anything or fill in any form, it just happened. My question is why/how/what? Im not complaining, i like free money but where the hell did that come from?

e: Heres the link on what one is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bursary , none of that poo poo applies to me so i just dont know :iiam:

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 10, 2014

VirtualBalboa
Dec 25, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

I paid for my whole first year out of my savings and then I randomly got these 'bursary' payments of 3 lots of 500 quid, which they are going regret because unless im loving lucky im going to fail.

I didnt apply for anything or fill in any form, it just happened. My question is why/how/what? Im not complaining, i like free money but where the hell did that come from?

e: Heres the link on what one is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bursary , none of that poo poo applies to me so i just dont know :iiam:

Are you a mature student? I was surprised to receive a similar bursary; apparently the application is automatic if you're a mature student.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

BORISE WAT ERR LEGERND has just bought some water cannons despite not having approval from the Home Office.

Calls for the next protests to be a summer swimwear bubblebath foam party are already beginning.

I can't help but feel that the lack of permission from the Home Office is deliberate. This means that the Home Office can claim it's just Boris acting on his own and they are still deciding as to whether water cannons are necessary. Meanwhile, if a situation crops up where they want to use said cannon, they can do an emergency approval of it and have it ready to go.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I can't help but feel that the lack of permission from the Home Office is deliberate. This means that the Home Office can claim it's just Boris acting on his own and they are still deciding as to whether water cannons are necessary. Meanwhile, if a situation crops up where they want to use said cannon, they can do an emergency approval of it and have it ready to go.

I'm a big fan of Boris justifying them in case people start using their right to free assembly again.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

VirtualBalboa posted:

Are you a mature student? I was surprised to receive a similar bursary; apparently the application is automatic if you're a mature student.
Oh right, yes I am. Oh well, result then.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Joanne McCartney, Labour London Assembly member and police and crime spokesperson posted:

To rush this through is typical of Boris's slapdash approach to issues of crucial importance to Londoners. It is telling that 20 out of 25 Assembly members – from all parties – voted against their purchase earlier this year.

Can the Mayor ignore the assembly like that? Because the vote against is pretty overwhelming.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Ive got a related question to the current discussion.

I recently looked at going back to Uni to do a degree through a sponsorship scheme by a large national business. It hasnt fallen through, but its irked me somewhat since they only just mentioned I now I was/am supposed to of applied for the course myself and then applied to them for sponsorship despite the posting being up online only recently and closing a week ago. This could be how these things work, but it didnt mention anything like that on the forms etc and kinda seems a bit backwards and certianly not how I went to college etc last time.

Anyway, thats not my question. I was wondering on the process for getting a bursary etc works, and peoples experiences of it. I have no idea if I can apply to my course now for September, or even if its worth my time jumping throuh hoops for this company who want me to get a Uni place before they will interview and pay for me to go.

Im thinking of just doing it off my own back now and saying to hell with them, but Id like to know a bit about it all. Last time I went to college it was all paid for by the company. This time securing a bursary etc is all new to me and Id like to have an idea of whats up should I decide to leave my job and go for it.

Im in Scotland and would be a mature student going to Uni from home. The course is £1800 a year apparently.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

HortonNash posted:

Can the Mayor ignore the assembly like that? Because the vote against is pretty overwhelming.

the london assembly is sadly a paper tiger

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HortonNash posted:

The Assembly can vote not to give him the money to buy them but the Met are paying for them out of their own budget rather than the GLA budget.

Once the Home Office give permission (if they do - they've been very resistant to the idea of using them on the mainland so far) then the Policing Committee of the GLA can tell the Met not to use them, but the Met can tell them to get hosed because while the Policing Committee has "oversight" of the Met they have almost no actual powers beyond a couple of nuclear options (cutting off GLA funding, which is about 50% of the Met's budget, or forcing the Commissioner to resign).

Anyway the Committee is appointed by the Mayor, not the Assembly, so they'll do what KING BOZZA I tells them to do.

So we're in the kind of weird situation where we have to hope Theresa May shows moderation and restraint in the face of baying public opinion.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

I would be very wary of career development loans unless you are very confident that the degree will enhance your future earning potential enough to justify the expense. Also, "affordability" shouldn't be a consideration if you're thinking about doing a PhD because you should only ever think about doing a PhD if you can make someone else (typically, one of the research councils) pay for it and give you a stipend while you're doing it.

Your mileage will definitely vary, but I found having a Master's (in English Literature, of all things!) really helped my career. But more than that, it was a drat enjoyable extra year of education.

After I graduated, I spent a bit of time creating my CV and put it out on all the usual job websites, and received around 2/3 calls a week from recruitment consultants for decent junior roles.

It's worth noting, though, that I do live in London and am awful.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So we're in the kind of weird situation where we have to hope Theresa May shows moderation and restraint in the face of baying public opinion.

I suppose it's too much to hope for some brave souls to commandeer the vehicles and fill City Hall.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Thanks for the replies re OFSTED. To clarify I was an IT technician so had no idea about academic issues.

Edit: Looks like we have accusations about another school now. This time in Bradford. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27779832

I hope this doesn't signify the start of a pattern. gently caress any and all religious influence in schools.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 10, 2014

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Touchdown Boy posted:

Ive got a related question to the current discussion.

I recently looked at going back to Uni to do a degree through a sponsorship scheme by a large national business. It hasnt fallen through, but its irked me somewhat since they only just mentioned I now I was/am supposed to of applied for the course myself and then applied to them for sponsorship despite the posting being up online only recently and closing a week ago. This could be how these things work, but it didnt mention anything like that on the forms etc and kinda seems a bit backwards and certianly not how I went to college etc last time.

Anyway, thats not my question. I was wondering on the process for getting a bursary etc works, and peoples experiences of it. I have no idea if I can apply to my course now for September, or even if its worth my time jumping throuh hoops for this company who want me to get a Uni place before they will interview and pay for me to go.

Im thinking of just doing it off my own back now and saying to hell with them, but Id like to know a bit about it all. Last time I went to college it was all paid for by the company. This time securing a bursary etc is all new to me and Id like to have an idea of whats up should I decide to leave my job and go for it.

Im in Scotland and would be a mature student going to Uni from home. The course is £1800 a year apparently.

If it's an undergraduate degree then you can apply to courses which have spaces remaining through UCAS Clearing when it opens in July. Depending on how in-demand your course is there might not be any spaces at the uni you want, or it might not appear in Clearing at all.

As for bursaries and fees look at the SAAS site, it is fairly clear iirc. The actual process for SAAS support is filling in a few online forms about your situation.

twoot fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 11, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
RecoveryTMNews: unemployment fell to 6.6% in the last quarter but weekly earnings fell in real terms (0.7% rise versus CPI at 1.8%). Manufacturing output is up substantially (4.4% annualised), and a think tank has declared the downturn to be history - overall output is now above the pre-recession peak.

Let the good times roll.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

McDragon posted:

Oh, there I was thinking it had been a while since a Conservative MP was a massive prick. (well, more than usual)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27783331
If the Oxfam campaign is attacking poverty and Conor Burns is complaining that it's "overtly political and aimed at the policies of the current government" does that mean the policies of the current government are pro poverty? (the answer is yes).

Oxfam's response is a pretty amazing smackdown though.

LemonDrizzle posted:

RecoveryTMNews: unemployment fell to 6.6% in the last quarter but weekly earnings fell in real terms (0.7% rise versus CPI at 1.8%). Manufacturing output is up substantially (4.4% annualised), and a think tank has declared the downturn to be history - overall output is now above the pre-recession peak.

Let the good times roll.
Less than a year to go to the general election whatever could this mean?

Andy Impey
Sep 2, 2011
I keep thinking they're going to inflate the bubble machine, make sure it doesn't pop until after the election then get another five years to finish the job they've started.

Hence, I guess, Boris buying the water cannons yesterday. They're going to give us mega-austerity once they're back in, and once the economy goes to poo poo again. It's not going to be pretty at all.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

McDragon posted:

Eric Hill died. :(

Spot the Dog was some of my earliest and fondest memories :(

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

everyone in this thread: stop saying cannons
it's cannon
you are all the worst people

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Looks like y'all got a new member of the History's Greatest Monsters gang:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jun/11/jk-rowling-donates-scotland-anti-independence-campaign

(I like JK Rowling a lot)

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Cerv posted:

it's cannon

Language evolves, granddad, if you don't like it go live in France. :colbert:

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Cerv posted:

it's cannon

Plural of water cannon is waters cannon. Fact.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

tentish klown posted:

Plural of water cannon is waters cannon. Fact.
Waters cannonii :colbert:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
This thread is adorkable sometimes.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

SybilVimes posted:

Language evolves, granddad, if you don't like it go live in France. :colbert:

sadly i've only reached level A1 of the Common European Framework

maybe in a year or two

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Zephro posted:

Waters cannonii :colbert:

You just made the list.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zephro posted:

Looks like y'all got a new member of the History's Greatest Monsters gang:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jun/11/jk-rowling-donates-scotland-anti-independence-campaign

(I like JK Rowling a lot)

She's just jealous that she's no longer Scotland's best selling author of escapist fantasies about kingdoms run by magic.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Jedit posted:

She's just jealous that she's no longer Scotland's best selling author of escapist fantasies about kingdoms run by magic.

That's a harsh way to talk about the SNP manifesto

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I like the bit about dealing with "three bitter neighbours". Are the Irish going to like us less if we leave the UK? (hint- they'll like us even more)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

I like the bit about dealing with "three bitter neighbours". Are the Irish going to like us less if we leave the UK? (hint- they'll like us even more)

I suspect she was talking about Northern Ireland specifically.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

it's cannon
What's your thoughts on Legos? :v:

Also is pea the singular and pease the plural, or pease the singular and peasen the plural?

(I'm no prescriptivist, but cannon is clearly better. Cannons is as bad as sheeps.)

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Pissflaps posted:

I suspect she was talking about Northern Ireland specifically.

That leaves Wales, who are equally unlikely to be bitter and from whose potential bitterness we have even less to lose. It's a ridiculous notion either way.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

I think she means Northern Ireland, Wales and England.

edit: Welp, beaten, Northern Ireland is already bitter anyway, about everything.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

That leaves Wales, who are equally unlikely to be bitter and from whose potential bitterness we have even less to lose. It's a ridiculous notion either way.

Why did you think she meant the Republic of Ireland and not Wales?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

We've achieved a self-sustaining perpetual bitterness generator though, we don't have to import it through the actions of others.

Speaking of which, can we try not to refer to GB as the 'mainland' in relation to Ireland? Ta.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Pissflaps posted:

Why did you think she meant the Republic of Ireland and not Wales?

Because in my view and experience the Republic is more of a neighbour than Wales. There's definitely more Irish expats, students and visitors here than Welsh, and vice versa.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Because in my view and experience the Republic is more of a neighbour than Wales. There's definitely more Irish expats, students and visitors here than Welsh, and vice versa.

It's clear she was talking about the three potential ex-partners of Scotland in the UK, whatever your personal experience may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Pissflaps posted:

It's clear she was talking about the three potential ex-partners of Scotland in the UK, whatever your personal experience may be.

Like I said, inane as poo poo and ignorant of the issues.

• Locked thread