Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

ChickenWing posted:

Does keyboard utilization really offer that much of a benefit over mouse control? Until now I've only been using the keyboard for secondaries/throttle/occasionally rudder. Should I be using it exclusively for navigation until I need mouse precision? Does it matter for anything but maneuvers?
It can. It's not something you really ever should be using exclusively, though. Most of the benefit is in quickly performing maneuvers that would otherwise be difficult/slow/impossible while using the mouse alone (a split-s, for example). There are other benefits aside from extreme maneuvers, but a lot of it is just something you get a feel for after a while.

Using the keyboard to control the rudder is almost always a bad idea, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Crewmine posted:

Using the mouse to turn during sharp manoeuvres makes some planes wobble like crazy and poo poo all their energy out, so try to use the keyboard when you can.

Instructor :argh:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, sometimes I don't know what the gently caress is going on with that thing sometimes. "Oh, you're pulling up in a turn to get your guns on the enemy plane? I think for that you should SWING YOUR RUDDER BACK AND FORTH!"

"Auto-restricts control near the ground" is especially dangerous, ever since I disabled that I only crash half as often when attempting a landing while damaged.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone tried using .50 cals with the minimum convergence on the P-47? It's like having a shotgun two feet in front of you.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Eh... it helps you not plummet to your death a lot more than it screws you up. Also, the wobbling is much better since 1.39.

Perestroika posted:

"Auto-restricts control near the ground" is especially dangerous, ever since I disabled that I only crash half as often when attempting a landing while damaged.
If this isn't in the OP/follow-ups, it should be. Terrible on-by-default setting is terrible.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I've said it before, but we need some Tier II P-47B and P-47C action already :colbert:

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly
Is cannon breech damage as much of a death sentence as it feels like, or is it downright bugged and about to be fixed?

It's especially annoying in my Tiger. The tank can actually take a fair amount of punishment now when angled, but one hit to the cannon and the breech is out, meaning I can't fire any more, and I can't repair it either for unknown reasons. It's ONE hit, and the Tiger is out.

I should play my Panther more, I guess. Two spawns, probably as good a gun as the 88 and more mobility.

hreple fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 10, 2014

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Just had a match on Hokkaido where every single player on both teams was in a spitfire

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Oh man the Hetzer is just great :allears:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, sometimes I don't know what the gently caress is going on with that thing sometimes. "Oh, you're pulling up in a turn to get your guns on the enemy plane? I think for that you should SWING YOUR RUDDER BACK AND FORTH!"

I'm pretty sure the wobble is the instructor saving you from going into a spin.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I love that even at super high levels, people still fly their planes straight into the tail guns on bombers.

YOU DEFEATED

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

hreple posted:

Is cannon breech damage as much of a death sentence as it feels like, or is it downright bugged and about to be fixed?

It's especially annoying in my Tiger. The tank can actually take a fair amount of punishment now when angled, but one hit to the cannon and the breech is out, meaning I can't fire any more, and I can't repair it either for unknown reasons. It's ONE hit, and the Tiger is out.

I should play my Panther more, I guess. Two spawns, probably as good a gun as the 88 and more mobility.

I think the best piece of advice I've seen about breech damage is to drive full speed into a tree/wall to bust your track off, enabling you to do a repair for your breech as well. This assumes that as soon as your breech was damaged, you got the gently caress out of dodge.

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly

WebDO posted:

I think the best piece of advice I've seen about breech damage is to drive full speed into a tree/wall to bust your track off, enabling you to do a repair for your breech as well. This assumes that as soon as your breech was damaged, you got the gently caress out of dodge.

Ah nice, I'll try that the next time.

And the Tiger is king, actually. I've been shrugging off SO much damage by slightly angling the beast and just eat damage while I pound away with that glorious 88.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

There are planes that wobble no matter how gently you handle them, like the P-51.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

Huh, weird. It generally mostly happens when my wings are at a very steep angle, so all it really achieves is swinging my nose up and down for a few seconds. I'd understand if it wobbled around the roll axis, but I've trouble picturing how kicking the rudder would help against a spin. Wouldn't any extra airflow you get from that over the inner wing get canceled out the second it swings back? Not to mention the general loss of energy.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

WebDO posted:

That doesn't work. I've had my breech/barrel break to the point where firing will explode the shell inside. After then breaking my track, I did a full repair. Next shot I fired, poof, half my barrel's gone along with my entire turret crew.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dezztroy posted:

That doesn't work. I've had my breech/barrel break to the point where firing will explode the shell inside. After then breaking my track, I did a full repair. Next shot I fired, poof, half my barrel's gone along with my entire turret crew.

Yeah Gaijin said this was fixed but that's clearly not true at all.

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah Gaijin said this was fixed but that's clearly not true at all.

So it's "supposed" to be something you can fix, but isn't quite yet? At least there's hope then. I'm kinda happy with that.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

hreple posted:

So it's "supposed" to be something you can fix, but isn't quite yet? At least there's hope then. I'm kinda happy with that.

Yeah the last patch notes clearly said 'You can now repair a damaged barrel or breech if it is in a state that will result in your death should you fire."

Which still isn't the case.

E: Does anyone else feel like fire extinguishers aren't doing anything anymore? I have not successfully put out a fire in days, and I notice I rarely set anyone on fire now and have them survive it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah the last patch notes clearly said 'You can now repair a damaged barrel or breech if it is in a state that will result in your death should you fire."

Which still isn't the case.

E: Does anyone else feel like fire extinguishers aren't doing anything anymore? I have not successfully put out a fire in days, and I notice I rarely set anyone on fire now and have them survive it.

For the barrel, I've had the frustrating situation of having nothing but the barrel damaged and I get a repair prompt, but when I try to repair, the timer ticks down the initial 3 seconds and nothing happens. I can keep trying to repair, but it never completes and the next shot always kills me.

As for the fire, I've noticed that Russian tanks tend to blow up a lot more quickly than German ones after fires break out. Might be due to the design of the fighting compartment. Might just be random chance.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Dramicus posted:

For the barrel, I've had the frustrating situation of having nothing but the barrel damaged and I get a repair prompt, but when I try to repair, the timer ticks down the initial 3 seconds and nothing happens. I can keep trying to repair, but it never completes and the next shot always kills me.

As for the fire, I've noticed that Russian tanks tend to blow up a lot more quickly than German ones after fires break out. Might be due to the design of the fighting compartment. Might just be random chance.

I think it has to do with ammo caliber maybe. The bigger the gun the faster the tank seem to die to fire.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Another sickening example of Russian bias, we now know the T34 is the superior AA platform on the battlefield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbPFoUVbMZk

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

YellerBill posted:

Hurricanes are bad, I would recommend trying out the Beaufighter series of heavy fighters. You'll have to play through two bombers to get to them but they're pretty good.

Look at this wrong opinion. :colbert: Hurricanes own you just gotta remember to get within 250 meters before opening fire with your billion .30 cals to tear stuff to poo poo.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

My Panther just got set on fire by some retard 57mm shooting it through the front plate. Didn't actually penetrate or do anything, but it set my engine on fire. I extinguished it.

A minute later my ammo burned down. It was the same loving fire that was extinguished. Ghost fire killed me from beyond the grave.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Helter Skelter posted:

It can. It's not something you really ever should be using exclusively, though. Most of the benefit is in quickly performing maneuvers that would otherwise be difficult/slow/impossible while using the mouse alone (a split-s, for example). There are other benefits aside from extreme maneuvers, but a lot of it is just something you get a feel for after a while.

Using the keyboard to control the rudder is almost always a bad idea, though.

How else would you control the rudder?

Also my understanding is that using keyboard to perform maneuvers basically allows you to apply maximum displacement to your control surfaces instantly allowing you to pitch/yaw/roll as quickly as you possibly can.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ludicro posted:

Another sickening example of Russian bias, we now know the T34 is the superior AA platform on the battlefield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbPFoUVbMZk

A few matches ago I actually managed to get a direct hit square on the fuselage of a 111 in my T-34, but despite using APHE it just kept on flying and when it crashed into the ground behind me I only got an assist :argh:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
They need to add something so that people can't sit inside your spawn. Doing tier 4s and having a T-44 parked in your base, killing anything that spawns there? Not great.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Subyng posted:

How else would you control the rudder?
Let the instructor handle it. Binary input for the rudder is awful, and outside of sim there's no good reason to be loving with it.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I use the keys constantly, while the instructor is amazing because it makes the game really easy to play with a mouse its not that good at getting your plane into the position you want it to be in efficiently (in a lot of cases, mostly when you're trying to do something at near stall speed). Constant adjustments with the keys can help out the instructor by making the overall movement it has to make your plane complete simpler.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 10, 2014

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

They need to add something so that people can't sit inside your spawn. Doing tier 4s and having a T-44 parked in your base, killing anything that spawns there? Not great.

You get like 15 seconds of spawn protection though, which should be more than enough to kill whatever's in your spawn.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

My friend used a key modifier once to have fire button tied to a voice activation. He'd sit all silent in Mumble but occasionally he'd go "waaagghhhhhhhh" to let of rounds. Since he was also using voice activation in mumble, whatever he said had to be so important as to be worth the ammo. He was also very brief.

That is loving genius, I need to try this out.

quote:

*things about joystick and simulator battles*

Not sure if you've tried it recently, but they changed sim battle mouse controls and they are actually pretty decent now. Obviously they aren't as good as a joystick, but since Gaijin's decided that Sim battles it a red-headed bastard stepchild I rarely take my joystick out even on the occasional time I find myself flying my backup plane after dying in my tank. The AAA in SB is absolutely overpowered as loving poo poo, which makes trying to ground pound an almost pointless task, because you WILL die after the 1st pass.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Dezztroy posted:

You get like 15 seconds of spawn protection though, which should be more than enough to kill whatever's in your spawn.

Ehhh, 15 seconds is not as long as it sounds. Even in the middle tiers, that's barely 2 shots off before your tank is vulnerable. In Tier IV, it's a single shot.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Dezztroy posted:

T-44. They're basically invincible from the front to most tier 3s. He just sat there and murdered everything because it was spawning directly in front of him and he was back far enough that nothing would spawn with shots at his sides.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

McDeth posted:

Ehhh, 15 seconds is not as long as it sounds. Even in the middle tiers, that's barely 2 shots off before your tank is vulnerable. In Tier IV, it's a single shot.

Especially since it's 15 seconds OR until you fire a shot.
That said, a T-44 against Panthers at close range, you should be able to shoot through the turret or if you can negate some of the slope on that front plate, you can shoot through that as well.
Preferably you'll have APCR loaded. If not, you best option is probably to start driving as fast you can towards his side and hope he wastes his first shot while you're still invulnerable.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Has anyone ever tried to drop bombs on other planes in their air? I feel like it would be possible against big, slow moving targets like bombers, and would be a hilarious and ironic way to destroy them.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

McDeth posted:

Remmon posted:

Especially since it's 15 seconds OR until you fire a shot.

Dezztroy posted:

Firing takes away your invulnerability.

Unless the person is directly in front of you that's usually juuust enough time to find the person, rotate your turret and line up one shot if you're quick and you know they are waiting for you. Most players don't ever see it coming, as long as you count the 15 seconds down so you don't waste a shot and announce your presence.

If you're in something without a turret and they are behind you, you're hosed.

They need to re-work it. I think 30 seconds and firing not dropping your invulnerability would be enough, along with maybe some kind of spawn zone that immediately kills the timer once you leave it (so some BT-7 couldn't rampage near his spawn). Against semi-intelligent players the 10 seconds isn't nearly enough.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 11, 2014

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Subyng posted:

Has anyone ever tried to drop bombs on other planes in their air? I feel like it would be possible against big, slow moving targets like bombers, and would be a hilarious and ironic way to destroy them.

Doesn't work sadly. The next best thing is Tiny Tim's.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Doesn't work as in feasibility or the bombs simply pass through other planes/dont explode?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Subyng posted:

Doesn't work as in feasibility or the bombs simply pass through other planes/dont explode?

The bombs are not modeled in the air and only impact the ground - they do not interact with planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
They need to add bombs hitting planes in, then bring back the float plane event.

• Locked thread