Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Got Moloko
Aug 23, 2011

Milk+
So that Lord's Armored Polar Bear they were giving away is pretty boss. Stoked I got one. Had someone offer me 10 million AD for it, but I guess he didn't know it binds on pickup from the vendor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

NatasDog posted:

Well, the usual rule in epic dungeons is greed on epics only for most groups, but there are quite a few runs where some rear end in a top hat needs on class specific purple loot 'accidentally'; by dictating greed on everything people who pull poo poo like that have no excuse and will get vote kicked before the last roll happens. It's really a limitation of the game's loot interface that you can't just dictate it via the in game loot rules to remove this bullshit, honestly.

There's functionally no big difference when it comes to blue/green drops and no one usually gives a poo poo aside from maybe enchants to feed their artifacts. However, it's bullshit when you run a dungeon and all three boss drops are for one class and some rear end in a top hat gets to walk away with all three uncontested because he could. It's less bullshit if the same rear end in a top hat wins all three rolls against the other 4 guys in the group, because at least everyone had a shot.

If all three boss drops were upgrades for said person, why shouldn't he need them? Or are you saying that people can't need upgrades even if the option appears?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It kinda sounds like these people want a random distribution of loot but for whatever reason rather than Round Robin they want the ability to gently caress it up with rolling.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Surveys :allears:

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Managed to take over a botting dungeon run by someone named @domineto and vote kicked him. Revenge is sweet.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Can you explain, because I have no idea what you're talking about exactly and I'd like to know.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Kept trying to queue for cragmire but I would get automatically booted by the only active person which had a random name. Only one without a random name was @domineto managed to get in while he was busy and votekicked him to take over instance. Then reported all the DC'd alts. Stole the instance and got a free run at the boss (and got another fking ring).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

What are they doing exactly, holding a particular instance open? Or just making sure that particular character is the only one eligible for loot? I don't even understand why someone would bother to do that, it seems to me that the gold farmer types would not be interested in trying to micromanage loot drops when they can deal in automatically farmed AD, like from daily skirmish runs or the dice minigame.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I once heard of people trying to fill instances so a TR can stealth through and take out boss solo. Dunno why they didn't just use a 4th AFK account tho. Spent about 30 minutes trying to get into CC because of that fool. But in the end I got my boots after 3 more tries -_-

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

147mb patch :toot:

So yeah I have enough zen to unlock a pair of character slots, go me. Halfling GWF and uh, half orc Cleric I suppose.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

So I was playing around with Def gear on my GF. The drop off is loving stupid. I see why people run a power spec. I boosted my def by a few hundred, and the rate of return was poo poo. Def over 3800 or so is pretty worthless.

oriface
Jul 13, 2006

Ambaire posted:

If all three boss drops were upgrades for said person, why shouldn't he need them? Or are you saying that people can't need upgrades even if the option appears?

That is exactly what he is saying. It is always a Greed run with them. I have kicked many butthurt people from groups at the final boss when they Needed in a Greed group that I started. The reason is that some dungeons will only drop certain class gear and why would randoms run a dungeon if they won't even get a shot at the only gear that is not Bind on Pickup? You still get the chest at the end for whatever you were running. The only difference with the Legit channel and Protector's is that Legit Greeds on everything. When Greed is declared in a Protector's run, it means Greed on Purple gear, but you Need on Shards, Marks, Enchantments and stuff like Residium. It was strange when I first started, but it works fine.

Neverwinter Dungeon etiquette for new players is strange. In our next episode we can talk about Speed runs.

oriface fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 7, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That doesn't really explain why you wouldn't just set loot to round robin though.

oriface
Jul 13, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

That doesn't really explain why you wouldn't just set loot to round robin though.

You can't.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They didn't implement a round robin mode? That boggles my mind. But then they didn't even implement a capcha or some poo poo on account registration so :shrug:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I think you can set it to that in the group menu but I'm not 100% on that, you can set it to leader decides. That will freak the pubs right out

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Started this tonight. After wasting hours in Age of Wushu, A voiced tutorial that guides me through combat and inventory is a godsend.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

oriface posted:

You can't.

There is a round robin loot mode, what am I not understanding here?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
If there is a round robin mode, can you set it to round robin for everything but purps? I remember in L2 when it was set to round robin people would game which mob died in what order so they would get the best loot.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

But the people who go to those lengths to skew round robin will be the same ones who hit Need at the wrong time so really what's the loving difference.

e: oh I see I guess you can monitor the log before the rolling is complete and uhhh jesus christ I guess just play with people who are not dicks idk

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

But the people who go to those lengths to skew round robin will be the same ones who hit Need at the wrong time so really what's the loving difference.

e: oh I see I guess you can monitor the log before the rolling is complete and uhhh jesus christ I guess just play with people who are not dicks idk

Yeah, it's not always feasible to not play with dicks; I try to get a goon group going when I do DD and failing that I check legit, but it not uncommon that I need to grab someone from LFG to fill out the last spot or two. Regardless, once you're at 60 and running epic dungeons you're rarely rolling on legit upgrades and generally just farming purples for AD so you can upgrade enchantments; hence the greed on everything rule being so popular.

It didn't sit right with me either when I first started playing, for much the same reasons you seem to have a problem with it. Once I got the dread ring/sharandar grind mostly finished and have had a few epic dungeons under my belt it started to make more sense.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 9, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's not that I have any kind of ethical objection or that I don't think it's fair, it just seems a horrible bunch of extra clicking that OMG YOU BETTER NOT CLICK WRONG THING FUCKER when round robin does exactly the same thing, over time.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

It's not that I have any kind of ethical objection or that I don't think it's fair, it just seems a horrible bunch of extra clicking that OMG YOU BETTER NOT CLICK WRONG THING FUCKER when round robin does exactly the same thing, over time.

It doesn't. Round robin permits abuse that is effectively impossible to distinguish from acting in good faith. "Always greed" is perfectly fair, and abuse (clicking Need instead) is obvious. Thus the latter is enforceably fair through social pressures, while the former isn't.

Round robin is a stupid way of doing loot. It should just be a purely random distribution mode instead (i.e., automatically always Greed). Blindly "taking turns" is dumb and exploitable, and only appeals to people who are superstitious about probability.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

How exactly can one person in a team of five randomly recruited players able to control kill order in any meaningful way. I mean really, how. He will screw himself at least as often as he succeeds (imo probably about four times out of five)

e: I mean "we just like it that way" is a perfectly acceptable answer but claiming an honor system of people never ever making a mistake or they are booted is really better than another method, mmm I dunno man

e: I'm trying to imagine the flawless sperging required to count unannounced random loot drops that may or may not be picked up and logged to a chat window what the gently caress I don't even see how you could put this into practice :confused:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 9, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They should just make a mode that disables Need and put this poo poo behind them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Unrelated, what is this poo poo with the 6 day pray coin chest thing and unlocking Icewind Dale?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

How exactly can one person in a team of five randomly recruited players able to control kill order in any meaningful way. I mean really, how. He will screw himself at least as often as he succeeds (imo probably about four times out of five)

e: I mean "we just like it that way" is a perfectly acceptable answer but claiming an honor system of people never ever making a mistake or they are booted is really better than another method, mmm I dunno man

e: I'm trying to imagine the flawless sperging required to count unannounced random loot drops that may or may not be picked up and logged to a chat window what the gently caress I don't even see how you could put this into practice :confused:

Loot is distributed on pickup (unless that's changed; haven't played in a while). So you don't have to control kill order. It's certainly not going to be a guaranteed system, but as long as there's a non-zero advantage to gaming the system, it's an unfair system.

"Greed-only" is better because it produces a stable equilibrium where if everyone plays to their own advantage (the only reasonable expectation to have), it's fair (since clicking Need is likely to ultimately cost more than it gains). This is not true of "round robin". It has no stable equilibrium, other than the spergiest player getting the best loot. And are you actually doubting the amount of sperging MMO players are capable of? :confused:

That some might misclick (or misunderstand) is unfortunate, and a reason why Cryptic should codify "greed-only" as an actual loot rule. But it's not a reason to use "round robin" that's going to be compelling to anyone. Everyone's just going to assume that it's someone else who makes that mistake; why should they care? People care that others might cheat them, not that others might accidentally screw themselves.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Unrelated, what is this poo poo with the 6 day pray coin chest thing and unlocking Icewind Dale?

Make sure you log in once a day to pray and cash in your coins when you get to 7 for the box you get, since they can occasionally yield coalescent wards. That's pretty much the gist of it on that front. The other counter that increments is for another set of rewards, which are mostly pretty useless. The most expensive reward there is a purple companion that doesn't seem too bad, but it takes a year of logging in to pray daily to acquire it if you buy nothing else.

Icewind Dale requires you get to level 60, have a 10k gear score, and unlock the 3rd boon in either the Dread Ring or Sharandar. You get boons from running daily and weekly quests in those zones; which takes about a month of daily poopsocking to unlock everything of value in them. The dailies are essentially a limitation to stunt your progress through the campaigns so you're not able to 'beat' the game in less than a month after getting to level 60. If you were allowed to do the grind non stop instead of dailies you'd pretty much have both zones finished in a week of regular play; it only takes me about 20 minutes to do the dailies in Dread Ring and another 20 for Sharandar. Personally I don't mind these limits because it gives me a reason to log the hell out and go do something else with my time every day after I get my dailies done. I should really hang out and do more DDs to get my gear upgraded, but :effort:

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 9, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

eth0.n posted:

Loot is distributed on pickup (unless that's changed; haven't played in a while). So you don't have to control kill order. It's certainly not going to be a guaranteed system, but as long as there's a non-zero advantage to gaming the system, it's an unfair system.

No, the pickup permission is determined when the item is dropped, and this event is not logged. It's only logged when someone actually picks up the item, other people won't even see the object if they don't have pickup rights. Someone trying to game this has no way of knowing reliably whose turn it is for pickup. While you can see the order of who is being given pickup rights, you have no way to monitor when an item was dropped or whether the crucial guy just before the boss picked up his thing. And if you're trying to game this and it's more than one step away from you when you hit the boss, which statistically it will be 4 out of 5 times ... what do you do to manipulate this, say OH GOD GUYS LET'S GO OVER HERE AND KILL THESE 15 SPIDERS OH OKY BOB PICKED UP A THING KILL BOSS NOW!!!

e: on the rolling greed only method, what happens when Cheater Jim waits until everyone else has rolled and THEN hits Need? too late to vote kick him

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 10, 2014

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
This is getting to the point of being pedantic, but generally the group leader waits until the rest of the group has rolled to make sure everyone greeds. When I'm in a group with random people I don't know I'll wait until at least everyone who can need on an item goes before rolling myself.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

News flash: Clerics are pretty good.

Gravity Works
Aug 7, 2006

Break everything you love.

Flesh Forge posted:

News flash: Clerics are pretty good.

I haven't played in a while what's the best rotation for cleric moves?

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
For solo: Divine glow, chains, daunting light. Best set: miracle healer, or high prophet and chug a bunch of potions/stack a lot of regen/hire a cleric companion to top you up between fights.

For dungeons: Divine glow, astral shield, something else to generate divine power. Best set: high prophet. For some bosses, swap astral shield with healing word.

For PvP: don't bother. If you're intent on the PvP artefact anyway, chains, forgemasters, and healing word. Best set: miracle healer maybe?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really hope they add some more classes. I'd love to play a Paladin.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Firstborn posted:

I really hope they add some more classes. I'd love to play a Paladin.

Didn't they announce a Warlock like a year ago

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don Tacorleone posted:

Didn't they announce a Warlock like a year ago

That still hasn't shown up???

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I don't think warlocks have ever been officially announced, but warlock assets have been in the game since (I believe) the beta. In dread ring, you can see a handful of probably-warlock powers used by Markos, or the illusion of Markos in the phantasmal fortress boss fight.

Regardless, when the ranger came out, the devs said the next class was half-done, druids would probably be next, and no work had been done on what would come after.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hope we get druid! I would rather have that class next.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm really pretty shocked they've not released like, a class every 3-6 months. I realize there's a lot of work involved in making a class in this game due to how each of them has a total (and very large) set of model/texture assets, for every possible race and gender, not just the game mechanical stuff, but dang Cryptic you should be all over that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

They can't balance the classes they do have and they have in fairness tried quite hard whatever the results were. Adding another class each 6 months probably isn't doable especially when they decided to not go mmo trinity.

• Locked thread