Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

gently caress them posted:

so is powershell a repl ?

yes

fuckin' hate powershell, i do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

gently caress them posted:

so is powershell a repl ?

dos is a repl, sql clients have repls, blah blah blah blah

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

tef posted:

database janitoring

tell us the pg story

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
life is a repl

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

MeruFM posted:

life is a repl

read-eval-post-loop

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rest-eat-poop-live

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Suspicious Dish posted:

read-eval-post-loop

pppl

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Suspicious Dish posted:

read-eval-post-loop

lol read

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

function eval(post) {
    return 1
}

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

https://www.nuget.org/packages/ZooKeeperNet/

netty idk if there's anything. probably the biggest missing thing

asm -> Mono.CeCIL not doing it for you?

a package with exactly 1 release doesn't inspire confidence in me at all. and java has curator which makes ZK much less of a pita

cecil doesn't do what i want (operate on class bytes) but that need is based on how redefining classes works on the JVM so maybe cecil is sufficient on the clr

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nuget loving sucks

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

nuget loving sucks

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Shaggar posted:

nuget loving sucks

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

a package with exactly 1 release doesn't inspire confidence in me at all. and java has curator which makes ZK much less of a pita

cecil doesn't do what i want (operate on class bytes) but that need is based on how redefining classes works on the JVM so maybe cecil is sufficient on the clr

wth are you doing modifying class bytes

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

making classes do things i want them to do that the creator didn't want them to do. so far i haven't had an excuse to do it in production but fingers crossed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
what

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I like it when I think about doing some edge case scenario and how I'd have to change existing code and then I find I already handled it in the existing code.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Malcolm XML posted:

Spring and Hibernate both use ASM.jar for things like proxies and reflection.

Tons of other people use it as well http://asm.ow2.org/users.html

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
don't use hibernate

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
don't use orm

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Yeah Spring + MyBatis seems like the way to go.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes. spring mybatis is very ftw

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Malcolm XML posted:

repls own, esp when u can set a breakpoint and drop down into one for debugging, then have the editor splice in the code fix :)

this sounds great. what does this

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

diagnostic instrumentation for debugging. capturing state to correlate with later failures, for example

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

tef posted:

it's where you go through the theatrics of agile - you have sprints, stand ups, kanban boards, turndown charts.

My new job has a daily 30-60 minute standup meeting in a boardroom where everyone sits down.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

My new job has a daily 30-60 minute standup meeting in a boardroom where everyone sits down.

do we work together? james, is that you??

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

diagnostic instrumentation for debugging. capturing state to correlate with later failures, for example

also for tools that do binary rewriting to insert instrumentation (event-causality for performance and error monitoring, error injection for testing, all the usual defadvice sorts of stuff), which can be hugely helpful. MSR wrote a paper about a tool to do this on CLR bytecode for Windows Phone apps, I forget the name of it.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

we sit at the standup but thats just because everyones lazy, the meeting runner gets poo poo if they let it go longer than 10 minutes

i went the whole day w/o talking to anyone, it was a v good & productive day

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

also for tools that do binary rewriting to insert instrumentation (event-causality for performance and error monitoring, error injection for testing, all the usual defadvice sorts of stuff), which can be hugely helpful. MSR wrote a paper about a tool to do this on CLR bytecode for Windows Phone apps, I forget the name of it.

more importantly its fun to rewrite class bytecode and make java.lang.String.<init> throw SQLException

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

a couple of jobs ago i had a daily ~45 minute standup w/ 10? 11? people. it was total garbage. i took to sitting down. people glared at me.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

not a team player

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Shaggar posted:

nugent loving sucks

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

he had one good song :shrug:

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

quote:

The "best" example of this maintainability problem could be found in the old implementation of the printf family of functions. The CRT provides 142 different variations of printf, but most of the behavior is the same for all of the functions, so there are a set of common implementation functions that do the bulk of the work. These common implementation functions were all defined in output.c in the CRT sources(1). This 2,696 line file had 223 conditionally compiled regions of code (#ifdef, #else, etc.), over half of which were in a single 1,400 line function. This file was compiled 12 different ways to generate all of the common implementation functions.

microsoft

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
In order to unify these different CRTs, we have split the CRT into three pieces:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

microsoft posted:

Before this refactoring, the sprintf functions, which write formatted data to a character buffer, were implemented by wrapping the result buffer in a temporary FILE object and then deferring to the equivalent fprintf function.

lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ms doesn't have the luxury of burning the bikeshed to the ground and building an identical one that's blue instead of pink this time every five years. the linux ppl do because nobody uses linux for anything important.

trolling aside though, splitting the libc from the system call interface is like literally the one good thing that win32's design has going for it

i wish ms wouldn't refer to their libc as a crt though argh that's not what a crt is god drat it, a crt is something that sets up the stack and prepares argc and argv (ok and envp but who gives a gently caress about that) for main

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Dog posted:

ms doesn't have the luxury of burning the bikeshed to the ground and building an identical one that's blue instead of pink this time every five years. the linux ppl do because nobody uses linux for anything important.

trolling aside though, splitting the libc from the system call interface is like literally the one good thing that win32's design has going for it

i wish ms wouldn't refer to their libc as a crt though argh that's not what a crt is god drat it, a crt is something that sets up the stack and prepares argc and argv (ok and envp but who gives a gently caress about that) for main

i thought it did :confused: or is it just winmain or what.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

In order to unify these different CRTs, we have split the CRT into three pieces:

worked for Gaul, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

I recognize your attempt at tricking hackbunny into making a new Win32 effortpost and thank you for it! :)