Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

Its shocking how many people login to servers through remote desktop to do basic poo poo. It seems so silly. No, you don't need to login to the DC to access active directory using RDP.
One of my baseline sys admin questions during a (edit: senior level) technical interview is to ask the candidate to discuss some ways to manage user accounts without logging on to the domain controller. I've had people run screaming from the building. God, just say the word Powershell and we'll move onto something more substantial. If you say dsmod I'll just give you the job right now.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
poo poo not pissing me off:

Approved about 6 months worth of updates :hellyeah:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

poo poo pissing me off:

Drove around half the state yesterday and in the end the most productive thing I was able to accomplish was plugging in an ethernet cable. I had planned to hit up a brewery near my remote site (Bell's) but got out so late it wasn't even worth the effort anymore. Then, driving back home on the highway a rock flew up and took a big ole chip from my otherwise pristine-for-14-years windshield, and immediately began to spiderweb.

:smith:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sirotan posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

Drove around half the state yesterday and in the end the most productive thing I was able to accomplish was plugging in an ethernet cable. I had planned to hit up a brewery near my remote site (Bell's) but got out so late it wasn't even worth the effort anymore. Then, driving back home on the highway a rock flew up and took a big ole chip from my otherwise pristine-for-14-years windshield, and immediately began to spiderweb.

Make a claim with your company insurance?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

I can never get RSAT to connect, various errors get thrown back. It's all a bit bizarre.
We have our relatively normal every day user accounts and we also have separate admin accounts that we're supposed to use for any admin tasks. Trying to login via RSAT while running the program as either will not connect to any of our DCs as far as I can tell. And yet, making Powershell changes from my desktop under my normal user account will propagate out perfectly fine, so clearly that's broken. I mean I created 50 or so users from a CSV file the other day and didn't even THINK about credentials until after it was done and I realized that I shouldn't be able to do that given how things are set up.....

But I am head of internal desktop support, not the server team, so I just go OH WELL most of the time or make a mention of it to someone and let it go :\

edit: for content:

Also pissing me off is that while we have a DC here in this office, all of our authentication goes all the way out to a DC in a different site over 1,000 miles a way. What the hell!??!

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 10, 2014

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

That feeling when you catch something out of the corner of your eye on your other monitor that's remoted into your DC.

Java Update Available
FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
I had to install some software with an interesting "solution" to this issue; Their installer installs an obsolete version of the JRE as the first step. Updates disabled, of course.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Logged into my Payroll software this morning to enter in my first punch, noticed that the pay date had been bumped a few days later in the month. Checked my email for any warning, and nothing was there. Just inexplicably a few days later.

Sent an email to our accountant to make sure that's legit, and if it is, I'm going to eat him alive. I just paid rent and bills with my first check and have no cushion until the second because of some unavoidable car maintenance. I'm going to be living on ramen like a college freshman until next Tuesday instead of going out with friends for drinks this Friday

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

AlternateAccount posted:

edit: for content:

Also pissing me off is that while we have a DC here in this office, all of our authentication goes all the way out to a DC in a different site over 1,000 miles a way. What the hell!??!

Make sure all your poo poo is properly setup in AD Sites and Services.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

skipdogg posted:

Make sure all your poo poo is properly setup in AD Sites and Services.

Well, the DC here isn't even LISTED in the Servers for this site, so it's clearly hosed. But it's not something I can dig around in and fix, outside my jurisdiction :\

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Sure lets replace the DC/FS with Dropbox, whatever. What's the worst than can happen?

Oh, the local admin stuff isn't written down anywhere? And installing printers takes 4 times as long? And I have to wait while I download the 1GB+ Office installer over the WAN connection?

:waycool:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We do lots of meetings offsite at a local venue. Their corporate sales manager got in touch with me (via email, to my non-work account -- i must have given it to her, gently caress knows why) to tell me she's having trouble emailing people at my organization. Our Exchange guy got right on it and asked her to test. That was Friday. I called her that same day and left a voicemail asking her to try it, and have called every day since, and still can't raise her. Finally I gave up and emailed her again, we'll see if she ever answers. How the gently caress can a corporate sales manager not return phone calls from an organization with which she does a fuckload of business?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Holy poo poo DBA, I know you are protective of who has access to databases but I have jumped through all the hoops to show you that the only way I can make these changes to Heat is by adding it to the staging table or writing directly to the database. I am not excited about it either but I am more sick of my bosses breathing down my neck.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

$11,000 spent on new payroll program. We are currently using Paychex.com and for whatever reason, the head of HR doesn't want to use it any longer.

There is no Mac client for either the timeclock itself, or the editing/admin page. So our graphics and marketing departments are going to have to share a Windows machine SIMPLY TO PUNCH IN or we'll have to buy Windows licenses for a VM. D'oh.

IT was never involved with this move.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

$11,000 spent on new payroll program. We are currently using Paychex.com and for whatever reason, the head of HR doesn't want to use it any longer.

My ex-girlfriend's company used Paychex. They had to scrutinize their paychecks every two weeks, because the payroll data file their HR sent over to Paychex was clearly hand-entered into Paychex's system - tons of decimal errors and typos. How this is acceptable, I have no idea.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mierdaan posted:

My ex-girlfriend's company used Paychex. They had to scrutinize their paychecks every two weeks, because the payroll data file their HR sent over to Paychex was clearly hand-entered into Paychex's system - tons of decimal errors and typos. How this is acceptable, I have no idea.

Yeah, but those errors never seem to increase the value of your check by an order of magnitude. It's always an error that costs you money.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mierdaan posted:

We're still going to use Paychex, just not the timeclock portion. :psyduck:

Here's what the new program looks like

The instruction book has screenshots from Windows 98

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Last time HR bought software without consult they subscribed to some online bulletin board called Airbo that game-ifies HR by giving you experience points and tickets. The domain name: Air.bo

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 10, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Ahahahaha what? It's like Microsoft Bob Pro.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Caged posted:

Ahahahaha what? It's like Microsoft Bob Pro.

I was trying to explain to people what Packard Bell Navigator was but nobody got it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

I need this.

(Change Job)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bob Morales posted:

Jesus Christ, did they find the software in a dusty unopened cupboard?

Just think, someone, somewhere, their job is to develop that archaic mess.

Although apparently nobody's job to update documentation.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

That looks Windows 98 as gently caress, it's incredible that they're charging $11k.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
The next person I meet who sneeringly tells me I need to 'embrace Change', I am going to install a new OS on his computer every week. Win 7, Win 8, Mac OS X, Win XP, Linux, BSD, Vista, Haiku, etc...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

Hard to believe that the floppies to install it still worked and that you found a working drive. Good job!

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

dogstile posted:

Didn't find out about that until about five minutes before I left, when co-worker helpfully let me know. I'll just send in a text and quote that next time, i've definitely not opted out, i'm not that dumb.

I'm pretty sure I have signed out and you wouldn't catch me doing that!

Moey posted:

I pushed for Server Core but apparently that is wayyyyyyy too crazy of a concept here...

My boss wanted to play with server core and hyper v so he decided to combine the 2 into one experiment.
The vm's were regular GUI flavour so I was fine with them, one day I needed something from the host and I had never actually been told it was a server core instance so it did take 10 minutes to work out the login script wasn't actually stuck and that was supposed to happen!

Moey posted:

None of these twits even knew what RSAT was. I explained it to them and showed them many times, no dice.

Edit: I would love to see one of them try and work with powershell to make changes.

Actually, no. No I would not.

I still think of it as adminpak.msi although now I've changed job I have no more 2003/XP so I guess I better start calling it RSAT

On the other had I'm not sure I will be allowed it on my desktop as it may be a security risk :(
I am literally having to argue about which machines I'm allowed to use RDP from with security consultants.

The debate kind of goes along the lines of - "A risk had been identified in the use of RDP despite the severe amount of encryption you have implemented on it... Can you turn it off?"
No
What about locking it down to your admin PC?
No
But risk!
But the site has a 6 mile perimeter - if Jones has a problem on the other side that just needs a quick AD group membership (or w/e) I'm not walking back and forth all day
But risk!
No!

I like a good argument but the security guys we've got have no clue regarding manageability

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
"Who would ever change their name?" - Someone at Google HAD to have said this.

We use Google Apps, but everyone cannot live without Outlook/Office. Before I was hired here; we were running Ubuntu desktops, but people couldn't cope without Office so we went back to Windows.

Our CEO's secretary just got married and wants her name changed. Change goes through on Google's end, but we have to rebuild her Outlook profile because Apps Sync can't handle username changes. However Apps Sync must be reading/storing config. info off/in a registry key or something in a user's local profile, because it's no longer creating an Outlook profile for her. I've uninstalled, reinstalled Sync and Office and wiped all the leftover files.

I'm just waiting for Google to come back and say I have to rebuild her Windows profile.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Commodore 64 posted:

I'm just waiting for Google to come back and say I have to rebuild her unmarried name.

And the profile too, probably.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Regarding the working time directive, if this is UK chat then the only part you can opt out of is the 45 hour limit on the work week. Everything else is mandatory, including the 11 hours between periods of work.

Anyone telling you otherwise is probably trying to get away with something illegal, and you should go read the relevant act of parliament online - it's surprisingly clear and free of legalese.

To anyone wondering "why would someone opt out of that", it's standard practice now for employers to include the opt out as part of your initial contract. Assuming you even notice they've done that, most won't modify the contract for you, requiring you to provide them with a written statement that you're withdrawing your permission. This in turn doesn't have to be accepted for up to 3 months (I think), and no doubt goes down as a black mark against you. Even though retaliatory action is illegal, since you'll still be in your probationary period you can pretty much be let go without recourse - sorry, you weren't a good fit!

Basically, the UK is working very hard to emulate all of the worst aspects of US culture. Having got "wasting billions on pointless conflicts" and "obesity epidemic" sorted out, we'd now like to add "sociopathic disregard for the workforce" to that list.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 10, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

rolleyes posted:

Basically, the UK is working very hard to emulate all of the worst aspects of US culture. Having got "wasting billions on pointless conflicts" and "obesity epidemic" sorted out, we'd now like to add "sociopathic disregard for the workforce" to that list.

U S A! U S A!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Click on the pen and drag it into your eye to unlock the secret pto sick leave functions

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jesus gently caress Unitrends, it's really tough to sell people on your appliances when there's a Furry front and centre on your home page.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
"I don't have a password" are the 5 worst words in the English language.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Caged posted:

Jesus gently caress Unitrends, it's really tough to sell people on your appliances when there's a Furry front and centre on your home page.

What.The.gently caress.

wanna ddos that furry

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Caged posted:

But they're crazy-committed (or maybe they should be...).

Why is there an anime animal girl mascot spokesperson? I mean, what does it have to do with anything? I could see like, marketing materials for a Japan branch, but not the goddamn face of the whole company. And the video. The video.

:psyduck:

Edit: They have blogs. Tempted to troll the comments.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 11, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7IsqW3e_v4

If they put that much effort into producing anime, they're sure to be a great company to work with.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Roargasm posted:

What.The.gently caress.

wanna ddos that furry

Just give me a flamethrower, that's all I need.

Also, gently caress citrix and is piece of poo poo products. View is just so much straight forward on poo poo.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

Sirotan posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

Bell's had an IT opening recently, you should just work there. It would be like Strange Brew + annoying "PRODUCTION IS DOWN" emails from pretentious beer hippies

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZetsurinPower posted:

Bell's had an IT opening recently, you should just work there. It would be like Strange Brew + annoying "PRODUCTION IS DOWN" emails from pretentious beer hippies

Are you a Bell?!

In other news, apparently enough of our clients are still getting Cryptolocker that we had to send out another round of e-mails, and pushing the GPOs to block the thing from executing in the first place is still in "testing."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've got the blocks in place via GPO and it was annoying at first to have to test and whitelist things but it's better than not doing it. You find out how apps abuse appdata, like the installer that is secretly the 32 and 64 bit version and when you run it decompresses to appdata first and runs the appropriate one. Appdata's like a garbage collection site for lazy programmers.

The lifesaver is a registry entry that will generate a log file when apps run so I can check it to get the full path for whatever triggers the block warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah, I figure that any pain from blocking exes in the directory that we then have to whitelist is a lot less than having to restore an entire business from backups (because lol granular permissions for shares wtf is that?)