Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It was nice they gave Frenzy a push during that period as well. Seeing another new face on the teams is always nice. The legacy angle for Rogue was a stroke of brilliance though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Cutioner's song is extremely '90s and you can definitely tell that they were making it up as they go along and there's one panel where they only drew half of Cable that is loving hilarious, but I still really like it. The Peter David/Jae Lee issues of X-Factor make it worth a read on their lonesome, and it's got some cool action scenes with Apocalypse, Cable, Stryfe and Archangel (did I mention it's very '90s?) and there's a scene where Stryfe force-feeds Cyclops baby food. And the epilogue issue with Professor Xavier and Jubilee is actually kinda sweet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

X-Cutioner's song is extremely '90s and you can definitely tell that they were making it up as they go along and there's one panel where they only drew half of Cable that is loving hilarious, but I still really like it. The Peter David/Jae Lee issues of X-Factor make it worth a read on their lonesome, and it's got some cool action scenes with Apocalypse, Cable, Stryfe and Archangel (did I mention it's very '90s?) and there's a scene where Stryfe force-feeds Cyclops baby food. And the epilogue issue with Professor Xavier and Jubilee is actually kinda sweet.

The best is still the X-factor issue that has no members of X-factor in it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X Necrosha is pretty good if you like gritty, stabby X-Force in all black and gray. Personally, I didn't care for it much, but it had its moments.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
X-Cutioner's Song is Peak '90s Crossover so is possibly interesting historically, but don't expect to actually enjoy it. It's probably a lot less irritating reading it out of context and after the fact, because you won't care that the ongoing books get their own plotlines put on hold for four months (again, Peter David's X-Factor got the worst of this), and the ending promising to actually explain Cable and Stryfe's backstory then abruptly swerving away from it won't be such a crushing sucker-punch.

X-Cutioner's Song and the first year of Spawn were the one-two punch that made me drop comics for like five years.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

At any rate, it's certainly not as bad as the other '90s X-crossover event that's on sale, Fatal Attractions. I haven't read it in a while but I remember it being really dire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

At any rate, it's certainly not as bad as the other '90s X-crossover event that's on sale, Fatal Attractions. I haven't read it in a while but I remember it being really dire.

Yeah it's horrible and only notable because of Wolverine losing his adamantium.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Yeah it's horrible and only notable because of Wolverine losing his adamantium.

It also helped to cause an even worse crossover.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

X-Cutioner's Song is better than Battle of the Atom, things actually happen in it between the 1st and last issues.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

irlZaphod posted:

X-Cutioner's Song is better than Battle of the Atom, things actually happen in it between the 1st and last issues.

I felt like other than X-Factor it fit into what was happening in the individual books and with all the writers seemingly on board everyone's voice came across much better than in some of the more recent crossovers where there's a few notable characters and everyone else is just there. It seemed like since the cast was more limited they were able to work more characters in.

Fatal Attractions can hardly be called a major event in my opinion since it only took 1 issue of each book and X-Factor and X-Force were both pretty self contained. Wolverine losing the adamantium was a pretty cool plot point for the character. Xavier mindwiping Magneto seemed interesting as well, of course Onslaught was terrible. Either way it was 4 issues, granted they were expensive holofoil covers in the first run, but there was only 4 of them so at worst it lasted a month and was over.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I liked X-Tinction Agenda but it was one of those things that was out when I was very new to comics so it's probably nostalgia more than anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Okay, the X-Cutioner's Song rollerblade epilogue was dumb fun, and I guess I liked the bit with Cannonball asking some small town if they knew where any bad guys were hiding out.

It also led to X-Force fighting War Machine on Cable's space station in the Battle of the 90's, so I guess that counts for something.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

It also led to X-Force fighting War Machine on Cable's space station in the Battle of the 90's, so I guess that counts for something.

I purchased the trade this is covered in "Assault on Graymalkin" purely because X-Force #19 is one of my favorite comics and having followed New Mutants for quite a while I was so excited to see Sam & Co. setup up into major characters. 20 years later and I'm reading that Sam and Bobby are shirking responsibility on a beach somewhere when Captain America comes calling because Stark needs a human cannonball and a non-flying solar powered punching dude.

Still not as depressing as actually reading the next 50 issues of X-Force volume 1, jesus that comic went to poo poo pretty fast after I quit reading about a year after Fatal Attractions. Back in the day every 25th issue was a big deal so when I got to X-Force and read the big #75th issue where they go to burning man and fight Selene I pretty much vomited in my mouth.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 9, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

20 years later and I'm reading that Sam and Bobby are shirking responsibility on a beach somewhere when Captain America comes calling because Stark needs a human cannonball and a non-flying solar powered punching dude.

I thought it was due to New Mutants just ending and them taking a break after Avengers v X-men.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it was due to New Mutants just ending and them taking a break after Avengers v X-men.

The point is more that they were building up Sam as the future leader of the X-Men but instead when he finally got on the team he was the new guy who kept screwing up and they threw away all the confidence he'd built up over the years. Don't get me wrong, I love that he and Bobby are Avengers, and they've been good in it, it just didn't go where it had been leading way back when.

I will say that even though Cyclops eventually got out from under being the "field leader" to full on running the show, that also took a while.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

The point is more that they were building up Sam as the future leader of the X-Men but instead when he finally got on the team he was the new guy who kept screwing up and they threw away all the confidence he'd built up over the years. Don't get me wrong, I love that he and Bobby are Avengers, and they've been good in it, it just didn't go where it had been leading way back when.

Yeah I remember one of my favorite issues was when Sam beat Gladiator. I was horrified to learn it was written by Lobdell. It then made sense how he was devolved when written by him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Incidentally, the New Mutants Classic trades are what I'm currently reading; I've just got to the Sienkiewicz issues, which are really cool (I liked the Demon Bear Saga; a bit weird that it's only about four issues given its reputation, but then again, Dark Phoenix was only six and DOFP was only two).

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sam is one of those good, well rounded b or c-list characters where writers just forget to care and write them completely out of current characterization. Wasn't he on the team that worked for Pete Wisdom and did a bunch of gnarly black ops poo poo even? His resume is pretty drat respectable, but no one ever remembers.

edit: Oh and Age of X is drat excellent, it is sort of a AU where some of it matters and it is one of the best Legion stories. Probably my favorite Rogue story, and I sort of wish Frenzy was still hanging around with Cyclops but I guess Bendis didn't want to follow up on that.

Does have the alternate timeline version of Pixie slipping in one of the dirtiest lines in a comic, but "Nightmare" might annoy people anyway.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 9, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know, Fatal Attractions sucks balls but the X-Force issue was actually pretty good. There's this touching (for a 90's comic) scene where Cable and Cannonball come to terms with all of the lies Cable fed them over the past two years and it ends with the team unified in a new way. Sadly this only lasted until AoA but I'll always love that brief run of comics.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Since someone mentioned it earlier, is Assault on Greymalkin worth a read? I haven't read any of that X-Force stuff since I was a kid, but I generally like Fabian Nicieza as a writer and Cable as a character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Since someone mentioned it earlier, is Assault on Greymalkin worth a read? I haven't read any of that X-Force stuff since I was a kid, but I generally like Fabian Nicieza as a writer and Cable as a character.

It's original, old school X-Force and has work by pre spawn Greg Capullo which is very clean and decent looking artwork. There's a ton of sub plots that are introduced that never get any resolution so be prepared for that as well.

Oh and Cable's not in that arc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

You know, Fatal Attractions sucks balls but the X-Force issue was actually pretty good. There's this touching (for a 90's comic) scene where Cable and Cannonball come to terms with all of the lies Cable fed them over the past two years and it ends with the team unified in a new way. Sadly this only lasted until AoA but I'll always love that brief run of comics.

I used to have a copy of that issue signed by Greg Capullo.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I got Age of X. I'd love to get Inferno and Mutant Massacre but they're $30 combined and I can't afford them right now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's not terrible, but I wouldn't spend a lot on it. I *think* it also the issue where they make new costumes in the Magic Alien Costume Machine the X-Men keep in their basement and then the most heavy-handed metaphor imaginable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

I used to have a copy of that issue signed by Greg Capullo.

I've seen a dozen copies come through the store with his autograph on them. Dude used to hit every convention every summer.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

irlZaphod posted:

Being better than Battle of the Atom isn't really an accomplishment.

Rhyno posted:

It's original, old school X-Force and has work by pre spawn Greg Capullo which is very clean and decent looking artwork. There's a ton of sub plots that are introduced that never get any resolution so be prepared for that as well.

I'll go out on a limb and say '90s X-Force isn't that bad. Is it a GREAT comic? Not really but I think it's readable enough outside of constantly getting caught up in '90s X-Men Crossover Madness. Nicieza's run is alright, Loeb's is readable, Moore has the road trip arc which is one of my favorite X-Men stories even if it gets a bit eh near the end with the Reignfire origin which was dumb but, well, Reignfire was a dumb mess to begin with.

Then Counter-X starts and Ellis turns them into a black ops team (a superhero team being described as "black ops" is not always but usually a big indicator to just stay away) and naturally brings in his self-insert Pete Wisdom and it's garbage until Milligan/Allred.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spiderdrake posted:

Sam is one of those good, well rounded b or c-list characters where writers just forget to care and write them completely out of current characterization. Wasn't he on the team that worked for Pete Wisdom and did a bunch of gnarly black ops poo poo even? His resume is pretty drat respectable, but no one ever remembers.

edit: Oh and Age of X is drat excellent, it is sort of a AU where some of it matters and it is one of the best Legion stories. Probably my favorite Rogue story, and I sort of wish Frenzy was still hanging around with Cyclops but I guess Bendis didn't want to follow up on that.

Does have the alternate timeline version of Pixie slipping in one of the dirtiest lines in a comic, but "Nightmare" might annoy people anyway.

What's the line?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Rhyno posted:

In the trade "Assault on Graymalkin" it collects 19-25, so he should up at the end of 24 and is central through 25.

That little run is probably my favorite part of X-Force volume 1 because of the status quo it presents for a few issues and yeah, wacky new 90s costumes. The time compression gets a bit wonky as 23-23 take place then 25 plays into events and feels like it should have been a year later or so. Very 90s stuff with them steal Cable's arsenal which includes a giant tank, fair bit of TnA, etc.

I think it's worth $10 but it's also fond memories for me. Somethings feel very different when you get them on a month to month basis then they do when you just read them in trade or in sequence very quickly back to back.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 10, 2014

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Skwirl posted:

What's the line?

"Big is good. You can't beat butter with a toothpick my grandma always said."

I remember age of x coming out of pretty much nowhere but being interesting and making legion relevant again, which lead us into the recent aweosme legacy run.

The Rogue as Legacy was neat in AoX, though I didn't particularly enjoy that run of the series. Never been a big Rogue fan.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

wacky new 90s costumes

Speaking of X-Force and '90s costumes, the "pilot" outfit (for lack of a term, the blue/yellow bomber jacket, goggles, etc. one) is Cannonball's best costume and should come back. :colbert:

Cannonball has had some awful costumes though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Didn't X-force have Strong Guy in it? My least favorite major mutant ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

He was on X-Factor.

PaybackJack posted:

In the trade "Assault on Graymalkin" it collects 19-25, so he should up at the end of 24 and is central through 25.

Ah, I thought it stopped at #24.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

That was X-Factor, and also :frogout: Strong Guy rules.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That was X-Factor, and also :frogout: Strong Guy rules.

He has a pretty terrible name.

Like if you called Cyclops, laserface, or Wolverine Clawy McHealy.

You know what? Wolverine should be called Clawy McHealy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

He has a pretty terrible name.

Like if you called Cyclops, laserface, or Wolverine Clawy McHealy.

You know what? Wolverine should be called Clawy McHealy.
:thejoke:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I know its a joke, doesn't change poo poo, still his name.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's not the name, it was design. Guido's look in the 90s was awful.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

What is it like to live with no joy in your life?
EDIT: That's what I get for leaving the tab open too long.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

It's not the name, it was design. Guido's look in the 90s was awful.

I always took his look as a shot at Liefeld and other '90s misshapen muscle artists but he was around before the '90s so I guess probably not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Guido is supposed to look all misshapen and weird because when he was a kid he got hit by a bus and that triggered his powers. It made his body get all hosed up.

• Locked thread