Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

grassy gnoll posted:

If you're doing it right, On Fire is a stunt. :colbert:

If you're doing it right, you're playing firefighters and "On Fire" is how the GM presents you challenges.

Seriously, that was one of the Fate Worlds settings. I can't help but think that it grew out of the inevitable "On Fire" discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Down With People posted:

I've never actually heard of this setting before; is it worth picking up in spite of the Monte Cooked-ness?
The setting is great, but the info is fairly sparse (which is honestly how I prefer it). That's Monte's real strength, imo. It's worth a few bucks, if you want a more playable version of Donaldson's Thomas Covenant setting. The races are legitimately great, and racial levels are an awesome way to handle powerful races in 3.x. The classes are evocative with problematic mechanics, but still better than, say, Pathfinder.

I wouldn't run it again, though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Caster supremacy isn't about player intent. It's about a system where, if you play a certain type of character, that character just sort of ends up really good.
And yes, this describes AE perfectly. My players didn't exactly spend... Uh... Any time at all between sessions. It just emerged naturally by them being potent spellcasters.

At that point, the totem warrior, champion, and... Witch?... Couldn't keep up. I couldn't reasonably challenge both the casters and non casters without bullshit like antimagic zones.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

dwarf74 posted:

And yes, this describes AE perfectly. My players didn't exactly spend... Uh... Any time at all between sessions. It just emerged naturally by them being potent spellcasters.

At that point, the totem warrior, champion, and... Witch?... Couldn't keep up. I couldn't reasonably challenge both the casters and non casters without bullshit like antimagic zones.

Weird. I never had that problem. I never even had to use the Harrid.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's interesting that there's no Pathfinder products there, but there is a ton of Exalted.

Resident Pathfinder expert chiming in here.

Paizo Publishing does not sell any of their official products on Drive-Thru RPG, and the core books are only available in German by a translator publisher on said site. This leaves only 3rd Party Products on Drive-Thru, which are a rapidly-growing market supply-wise and forces them to all compete with each other. The sameyness of several mini-books by different publishers doesn't help matter much.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Libertad! posted:

Paizo Publishing does not sell any of their official products on Drive-Thru RPG, and the core books are only available in German by a translator publisher on said site. This leaves only 3rd Party Products on Drive-Thru, which are a rapidly-growing market supply-wise and forces them to all compete with each other. The sameyness of several mini-books by different publishers doesn't help matter much.

resident pathfinder expert lol

You even bolded it. How full of yourself are you?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Weird. I never had that problem. I never even had to use the Harrid.
Well, I'm certainly not going to tell you you had an experience you didn't. I can only talk about my own campaign, running it for close on 2 years. The disparity was pretty devastating in my own games, and I found that any solutions were too much work.

It really kicked in around 9th level or so, and running the game became a chore. It was too bad because we had some great stories.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Libertad! posted:

It's like the d20 glut never ended! A Precambrian world of poo poo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Libertad! posted:

Blocked and reported.

Seriously, though, that's kind of surprising. I suppose it's a way of keeping PF fans "tied" to the Paizo brand, he said cynically.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

DocBubonic posted:

Does any system that isn't derived from D&D have to worry about caster supremacy? It feels like every time this issue comes up its in regards to something D&D.
IME in certain rules-light systems like Wushu and PDQ and such magic can wind up being overpowered if you're not careful just because it'll be like:
"I have +4 to punch dudes!"
"I have +2 to fix things!"
"I have +4 to bend reality to my whims!"

It's easy enough to flavor magic to have actual limitations in what it can do, but it's also easy for a player with a magic Quality/Aspect/Cliche/whatever to end up using it all the time and overshadowing the other players (and for that matter their character's other abilities) without even really meaning to.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

DocBubonic posted:

Does any system that isn't derived from D&D have to worry about caster supremacy? It feels like every time this issue comes up its in regards to something D&D.

Various Shadowrun editions, for sure, Deadlands (pre-savage worlds) (although HoE has the Templar, which are like badass fighters, and the overabundance of automatic weapons made it much less so), 7th Sea had some really broken magic and some really lovely magic.

Caster Supremacy runs through many rpgs with magic, especially fantasy ones, but it's hard to label any of those as non D&D related or inspired. Summoning tends to break the action economy in just about any game it enters to boot.

It's also worth mentioning that Caster Supremacy ala D&D really wasn't a huge problem until 3e and its variants; sure, wizards were pretty powerful in earlier editions but often had the kind of hit points that a fighter or rogue could get through before they could get off a spell, and spell failure was automatic. 2e and back had much more reliance on the full party of classes as ways to cover each others weakness (which comes from the wargaming background - wizards were basically like artillery pieces, high damage output and battlefield control but dead when anything got to them).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

TheAnomaly posted:

Various Shadowrun editions, for sure, Deadlands (pre-savage worlds) (although HoE has the Templar, which are like badass fighters, and the overabundance of automatic weapons made it much less so), 7th Sea had some really broken magic and some really lovely magic.

Caster Supremacy runs through many rpgs with magic, especially fantasy ones, but it's hard to label any of those as non D&D related or inspired. Summoning tends to break the action economy in just about any game it enters to boot.

It's also worth mentioning that Caster Supremacy ala D&D really wasn't a huge problem until 3e and its variants; sure, wizards were pretty powerful in earlier editions but often had the kind of hit points that a fighter or rogue could get through before they could get off a spell, and spell failure was automatic. 2e and back had much more reliance on the full party of classes as ways to cover each others weakness (which comes from the wargaming background - wizards were basically like artillery pieces, high damage output and battlefield control but dead when anything got to them).

d20 7th Sea actually had some pretty significant downsides to spell casting, aside from the story based one of the world's largest religion wanting you dead.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Caster Supremacy is pretty much what Mage is about. I guess it could be a problem if you insisted on mixing and matching WoD character types, but that always seemed a bit problematic.

Exalted actually has the opposite problem; it takes so much of your starting resources to cast spells and they take so long to cast in combat that a sorcerer is a very specialized, limited character type.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Out of the characters played by fifteen different players I have seen:

Oh, that reminds me about Ritual Warrior whose primary class ability was full access to the most boring spell list ever written.

Arcana Evolved was a great system for pulling yourself out of the 3.5 doldrums though.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

DocBubonic posted:

Fantasy Craft doesn't. It achieves this by making every non-caster actually good at their jobs, and every caster good at their jobs, but not overwhelmingly so. They're fairly versatile in that judicious spell/path selection will let you cover a wide range of bases (including the valuable and super nice base of being able to heal people without a Mend check), but the individual options aren't strong to the point where they poo poo all over non-casters, besides the whole healing thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sionak posted:

Caster Supremacy is pretty much what Mage is about. I guess it could be a problem if you insisted on mixing and matching WoD character types, but that always seemed a bit problematic.
I've been in at least 3 "World of Darkness potpourri" campaigns.

Caster supremacy is the least of your problems.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Does anyone have any actual play experiences of Golden Sky Stories? It's the game I'd most like to run at the moment, but knowing my group I'm not sure if it'd be their thing. We mostly play games involving wizards killing dragons and macho spacemen killing aliens, and even though most of the people in said group are huge fans of Miyazaki (I mean, who isn't?) I'm not sure they'd be up for a game of magical animal slice-of-life anime.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The fact that it's WoD is far worse. I knew Mark Hagen before he had the dot when he was at St. Olaf's in Minnesota. He was a pompous twit then and when Vampire was released he let the whole world know it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

d20 7th Sea actually had some pretty significant downsides to spell casting, aside from the story based one of the world's largest religion wanting you dead.

On the other hand, d20 7th Sea sucked.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sionak posted:

Exalted actually has the opposite problem; it takes so much of your starting resources to cast spells and they take so long to cast in combat that a sorcerer is a very specialized, limited character type.
I find this to be the case with L5R too. Spells take so long to cast that combat is usually over by the time you get your spell off, or you burn a bunch of raises on fast casting but are more likely to fail the spell casting roll. Also, you're likely never going to be better than the bushi in combat thanks to their school techniques unless you're constantly battling oni and/or the Lying Darkness and you'll never out-social the courtiers for much the same reason; you can get okay numbers but you'll always miss out on the really good extras of those classes.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A d20 cash-in conversion of a non-d20 game being less than stellar? No! Say it ain't so, Mors.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Mors Rattus posted:

On the other hand, d20 7th Sea sucked.

No. It was pretty great.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Kai Tave posted:

A d20 cash-in conversion of a non-d20 game being less than stellar? No! Say it ain't so, Mors.

Wasn't there a completely unnecessary Earthdawn to Pathfinder conversion in the works at some point? Does anyone know what's going on with that at the moment?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Who even knows what's up with Earthdawn these days, the studio formerly known as Redbrick and now known as FASA (but not really FASA) seems to exist in a perpetual state of inaction.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The fact that it's WoD is far worse. I knew Mark Hagen before he had the dot when he was at St. Olaf's in Minnesota. He was a pompous twit then and when Vampire was released he let the whole world know it.
Please tell us more stories of The Smug Dickhead Adventures Of Young Mark Hagen.

Kai Tave posted:

Who even knows what's up with Earthdawn these days, the studio formerly known as Redbrick and now known as FASA (but not really FASA) seems to exist in a perpetual state of inaction.
I saw the digest-sized FADING SUNS rulebooks at my FLGS this weekend, did a double-take that someone was still publishing hardcopy books for FS.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Sionak posted:

"[supernatural creatures] think they [possess trait], but no one is more [trait] than Mages. With this power, all Mages can"

It'd be funny if it wasn't true. Oh hell, it's still funny.

Several Mage-focused WoD games I've been in had some crossover with other supernaturals and what I've noticed being the root cause of the power bloat Mages experience is the fact that when you buy up an arcanum dot, you're buying a massive suite of potential abilities that fall within the thematic realm of a given arcanum. This is in contrast to most of the other game lines, where you buy up specific powers individually and it ends up being much more expensive to build a diverse selection of tricks to use. I played a Promethean in a game where the other PCs were Mages, and the ST's answer to the bloat was to dump vitriol on me at every conceivable opportunity at a rate that vastly outstripped the arcane experience anyone else received purely so I could keep up.

I actually wish mage armor didn't exist. Once you reach 4-5 dot mage armor, you really become sort of invincible, when one of the major drawbacks IMO of being a Mage versus any other kind of supernatural should be that you're a glass cannon; a Vampire, a Werewolf, or (especially!) a Promethean can soak up a lot more damage and have more ways of dealing with that in most cases, but if someone gets the jump on you as a Mage regardless of the weapon they're using you better start praying.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mage Armor's kind of nuts, yeah. I mean, it totally obviates the idea of 'mages need prep time' because every Mage game I've ever seen has had a standing rule of 'yes, you can just say you put mage armor up every morning' as long as they could afford the mana.

There are so many ways to get the mana, or to obviate the need for it if you include some of the optional rules. We tended to include style casting because it was fun and cool and then it kind of broke the only thing keeping Mage Armor from being on literally all the time.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Arivia posted:

resident pathfinder expert lol

You even bolded it. How full of yourself are you?

It's a joke, meant tongue-in-cheek.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Blocked and reported.

Seriously, though, that's kind of surprising. I suppose it's a way of keeping PF fans "tied" to the Paizo brand, he said cynically.

Go to DTRPG. Filter by rules system for Pathfinder. Scroll to the bottom of the page and look at the number of products currently available.

Now do the same thing for the OSR (under D&D/D20), the other big Edition-centric movement in the D&D fandom.

Now do the same for World of Darkness, Classic, which contains products dating back to the 90s.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 11, 2014

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Libertad! posted:

It's a joke.

I'm sorry forums poster Libertad!, but these forums are limited to seriousposting only between the hours of 7-10 am and 5-9 pm Eastern Standard Time.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Gau posted:

I'm sorry forums poster Libertad!, but these forums are limited to seriousposting only between the hours of 7-10 am and 5-9 pm Eastern Standard Time.

Is this the part where Winson Paine sweeps in on his Middle Finger Unicorn, delivers a quick jab, and puts me in the Kitty Probation Prison?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Libertad! posted:

Is this the part where Winson Paine sweeps in on his Middle Finger Unicorn, delivers a quick jab, and puts me in the Kitty Probation Prison?

That would be funny if he did I bet

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ratpick posted:

Wasn't there a completely unnecessary Earthdawn to Pathfinder conversion in the works at some point? Does anyone know what's going on with that at the moment?
I think it already exists, and it was as poorly-thought-out as the wretched Savage Worlds conversion.

Simply put, Earthdawn is constructed in a very 90's way so that there's basically no metagame. All game terms are knowable to characters in the system with the exceptions of maybe Steps and actual numbers. Because of this, a conversion to some other system is pretty much doomed to failure from the outset.

(There was also a 4e conversion talked about. It never materialized.)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
When you get down to it, caster supremacy is, 99 times out of 100, the result of both laziness and a lack of creativity, so, you know, it's not really all that surprising it crops up in D&D-esques so often.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Libertad! posted:

Although thank you for spelling my name correctly

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Reene posted:

I played a Promethean in a game where the other PCs were Mages, and the ST's answer to the bloat was to dump vitriol on me at every conceivable opportunity at a rate that vastly outstripped the arcane experience anyone else received purely so I could keep up.

This was funnier before I remembered vitriol is a game resource.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Evil Mastermind posted:

Blocked and reported.

I can't actually blame them, I guess? I mean they are big enough to maintain their own webstore and they get to keep all the money they make from selling things through it. It makes a hell of a lot of sense, really. I bet if WOTC had any sense of web infrastructure or gave a poo poo about selling PDFs they would do the same thing.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Ratpick posted:

Does anyone have any actual play experiences of Golden Sky Stories? It's the game I'd most like to run at the moment, but knowing my group I'm not sure if it'd be their thing. We mostly play games involving wizards killing dragons and macho spacemen killing aliens, and even though most of the people in said group are huge fans of Miyazaki (I mean, who isn't?) I'm not sure they'd be up for a game of magical animal slice-of-life anime.

I don't have personal experience with this (the people I've mostly played with have had other tastes), but I've heard that such habitual murderhobo players can sometimes take surprisingly well to a change of pace. It seems to be something that varies from group to group and the people in them, but it's worth a try asking them.

EDIT:

As for play experience, it's pretty cute. I keep trying to think of more to add to this descriptor, but honestly that's the most concise way of putting it. Pretty much about everything in the game, from the way it's written to the abilities (which includes adorable stuff like telling people it'll be alright), to the explicit lack of rule support for violence, to the resource names (Wonder/Feelings/Dreams), to the way you get XP... It just all adds up. And yet it manages to be heartfelt rather than saccharine.

In short, the creator had a pretty good idea of how to produce the intended effect, and the mechanics heavily support the intended play style. It's all tied into a tight point ecosystem, where you get points to spend on doing cool stuff by getting closer to people, which you gets points for by doing things other players like or find cute. So the mechanically optimal way to play the game is to form IC friendships and play your character in a likable (sometimes bumbling or mischievous but still likable) way.

And for people that don't bother to think about optimization, it just works for producing the intended effect.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 11, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I meant more in terms of "if you want the core PDFs for other games you can go anywhere, but if you want Pathfinder you have to go through Paizo."

But now I'm curious...

Libertad! posted:

Go to DTRPG. Filter by rules system for Pathfinder. Scroll to the bottom of the page and look at the number of products currently available.
3601. (3.X/OGL is 6558.)

quote:

Now do the same thing for the OSR (under D&D/D20), the other big Edition-centric movement in the D&D fandom.

quote:

Now do the same for World of Darkness, Classic, which contains products dating back to the 90s.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Winson_Paine posted:

Although thank you for spelling my name correctly

I winced in pain.

Mors Rattus posted:

Mage Armor's kind of nuts, yeah. I mean, it totally obviates the idea of 'mages need prep time' because every Mage game I've ever seen has had a standing rule of 'yes, you can just say you put mage armor up every morning' as long as they could afford the mana.

There are so many ways to get the mana, or to obviate the need for it if you include some of the optional rules. We tended to include style casting because it was fun and cool and then it kind of broke the only thing keeping Mage Armor from being on literally all the time.

Hopefully the updated rule system cuts or significantly alters Mage Armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Effectronica posted:

I winced in pain.

People calling me Winston bugs me

• Locked thread