Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

TheKingofSprings posted:

Someone bring up PanglacialWurm.txt.

I know about reversing illegal actions. I'm just confused about modo letting you reverse all mana abilities, presumably even those that are non-reversible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Entropic posted:

Weirdly, for white cards being such rear end in M14 limited, they're super good for constructed right now. I just won a GPT with the white weenie deck that runs Path of Bravery, Banisher Priest, Mutavault, Celestial Flare, Brave the Elements and Fiendslayer Paladin. I even had an Imposing Sovereign in the sideboard. Of course it's mainly built around having 16 one-drops, none of which are M14, plus the 2 Theros block anthems.

It's worth noting that you almost exclusively listed rares :)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

odiv posted:

The LGS here used to just enter everything in after the fact until I let the owner know that whenever I'm traveling I use Wizards' calendar to find out who is running what.

So I wouldn't take it as a given. Do they ask for your DCI #?

Yeah it's most likely this. A store owner is missing out on free poo poo come prerelease time + foils etc if they're not bothering sanctioning their events. Maybe they're just super disorganized or don't have a competent TO or anything. They're strongly incentivized to get on the wpn treadmill.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

odiv posted:

The LGS here used to just enter everything in after the fact until I let the owner know that whenever I'm traveling I use Wizards' calendar to find out who is running what.

So I wouldn't take it as a given. Do they ask for your DCI #?

No idea, it's in a town an hour north of me near my in-laws and was considering dropping in since I'll be up there anyways. It seems odd that they wouldn't show up in the event finder for anything but call it FNM. I called to see and the "Magic guy" wasn't around, maybe I'll try later. I'd hate to show up and not be in the running for a promo, especially since every player wins one pack for playing plus "other great prizes." It also might be nice to have a non-FNM Friday, but why would I want to do that? :downs:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah it's most likely this. A store owner is missing out on free poo poo come prerelease time + foils etc if they're not bothering sanctioning their events. Maybe they're just super disorganized or don't have a competent TO or anything. They're strongly incentivized to get on the wpn treadmill.

They do seem disorganized/not magic focused. I've stopped in once or twice and it seems like it's primarily a place for the owner to play WoW or League of Legends while charging other people to rent gaming computer or console time. There's tables for Warhammer/TCGs in the back and a case and some binders of singles, but computer games seems to be the big focus.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Dr. Stab posted:

I know about reversing illegal actions. I'm just confused about modo letting you reverse all mana abilities, presumably even those that are non-reversible.

Talking about Chromatic Sphere especially: If you activate Sphere while paying a mana cost, the card will be face-down in your hand until you finish paying the cost. If you cancel trying to pay, the card goes back on top of your deck. I'm betting they don't let you reverse it once you finish paying and it turns face up.

Selvala has the problem that you can't resolve her ability without seeing the cards, which means it really really can't be reversed.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like there's a MODO bug with the commander 2013 card order of succession. If you have less creatures than your opponent you get an undismissable empty chose dialog until you time out.

http://www.twitch.tv/oarsman79/b/537253992

Granted, a 4cmc sorcery instant win is actually occasionally beatable in legacy but that is some bullshit.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

LordSaturn posted:

Talking about Chromatic Sphere especially: If you activate Sphere while paying a mana cost, the card will be face-down in your hand until you finish paying the cost. If you cancel trying to pay, the card goes back on top of your deck. I'm betting they don't let you reverse it once you finish paying and it turns face up.

Selvala has the problem that you can't resolve her ability without seeing the cards, which means it really really can't be reversed.

This would all go away if you had to pay mana costs before casting a spell. I see zero problems with this solution.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

vOv posted:

This would all go away if you had to pay mana costs before casting a spell. I see zero problems with this solution.

You mean if you had to tap mana first? I'm not sure why they've made it keep working this way, but it's terribly convenient on MODO - click the spell, then click mana until the spell pops itself onto the stack. If you make the wrong color, click cancel, do it again.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Also helps when you misclick Cast instead of Cast with bestow.

Wtgamerz
Jan 5, 2005

I tolerate this century
Loving this deck so far, but I'm still confused with the sideboard. (friend suggested the sideboard) Against what decks should I really sub in the creatures, and what cards might be right to take out? Or is the sideboard question something I just have to determine when I face certain decks at FNM?

Deck: rw 2

//Lands
4 Mana Confluence
11 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

//Spells
4 Boros Charm
2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Searing Blood
2 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Wild Guess

//Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

//Sideboard
4 Firedrinker Satyr
2 Chained to the Rocks
1 Dictate of the Twin Gods
4 Satyr Firedancer
2 Wear
2 Act of Treason

Display deck statistics

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
I'm considering getting a box of Conspiracy to draft with a few friends. They've never done a draft before though and I figured Conspiracy would be a fun way to introduce them to it. Problem is we can usually only muster up 4-5 people on any given night. What might be some methods of dealing with the lower player count? Draft an extra pack? Two picks per pack? I don't want to do a Rotisserie draft because it seems like it goes against what Conspiracy is trying to accomplish and I don't think Conspiracy is meant to be played in Sealed either.

2MB fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 11, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I find it amusing that Meteor Crater can't generate mana off of a Meteorite.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wtgamerz posted:

Loving this deck so far, but I'm still confused with the sideboard. (friend suggested the sideboard) Against what decks should I really sub in the creatures, and what cards might be right to take out? Or is the sideboard question something I just have to determine when I face certain decks at FNM?

This should really go in the deck building thread. I will tell you that I have the Firedancers maindecked instead of the Eidolons. The deck won't really win consistently without the easy early damage Mutavaults can deal against more durdly decks. And Harness by Force is a way better than Act of Treason.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

2MB posted:

I'm considering getting a box of Conspiracy to draft with a few friends. They've never done a draft before though and I figured Conspiracy would be a fun way to introduce them to it. Problem is we can usually only muster up 4-5 people on any given night. What might be some methods of dealing with the lower player count? Draft an extra pack? Two picks per pack? I don't want to do a Rotisserie draft because it seems like it goes against what Conspiracy is trying to accomplish and I don't think Conspiracy is meant to be played in Sealed either.

Ive drafted Conspiracy with 3 and 4 people with no real detrimental effect. Yes, the card-pool is lower, but for friends and a more casual environment it remains quite fun, and you can have multiple drafts off the same box, too!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A couple months ago one of my coworkers told me that she played Magic, or at least used to a decade or so ago. She keeps telling me she has her decks to show me and I finally get around to doing so today, and she has two Rishadan Ports sitting in the middle of some 200-card UW monstrosity :stare: I told her I'd definitely be interested in looking at the rest of her collection, and helping her move stuff if she wants to (I gave her the TCGPlayer page for Port, in case you were worried about me ripping her off). Anyone have any good buried treasure stories from recent memory?

2MB posted:

Curious about this too, I actually just bought a box and am trying to get some people together to play but I've only managed five total for now.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

A friend of mine heard I got back into playing so he said he'd send me his small collection if I paid shipping. Nothing too crazy in there, but there was a pristine Taiga, which was a nice find. I tried to send him some more money after the fact, but he said he was happy to give it to someone who would use it.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

2MB posted:

I've never had problems drafting normally with 4 people and 3 packs each.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
If an ætherling attacks a +1'd vraska can it flicker after dealing combat damage to avoid being destroyed by the vraska +1?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Mezzanon posted:

If an ætherling attacks a +1'd vraska can it flicker after dealing combat damage to avoid being destroyed by the vraska +1?

Sure, you can flicker with the destroy trigger on the stack, and it'll be safe since it's a "new" Aetherling.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Edit: I don't read cards

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I can't seem to find it, have they said when Vintage Masters will be going away?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Darksaber posted:

I can't seem to find it, have they said when Vintage Masters will be going away?

You'll be able to buy Vintage Masters boosters until the release of Khans of Tarkir on MTGO. http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/05192014/vma

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Darksaber posted:

Until September.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Drafted Conspiracy twice tonight and won both times. :allears:

The first one was just the absolute best. I drafted a swell bant deck; simic splashed white for Brago's Representative, Selvala (Taps, everyone parley) and an unquestioned authority. I hate drafted a Magus of the Mirror in P2, got passed Vedalken Orrery and another Magus of the Mirror. :staredog:

So the Unexpected Potential (Card you name can be cast with any color of mana) I drafted earlier for Selvala got switched to Magus. :holy:

Game went on for a bit, the other players playing heavy parley for everyone to draw. I had a Magus in hand from the beginning and played Orrery on turn 5. By turn 8, I was down to 3 life, purposefully letting people beat on me. "You won't swing on; no balls. No balls. Aw poo poo, you swung at me.. :smith:" End of turn, flash in Magus. Switch health with another player at 29 health at my upkeep. :unsmigghh:

Game went downhill for everyone else, using the 4/4 flying fellows that counter the first ability used on them.

Draft Round 2, I got lucky with a Mirari's Awakening and a lot of Rouse the Soul cards. Was in a three person game and killed the other two pretty fast with Echoing Courage.

Someone at the draft table pulled a foil Dack Fayden, which was nice to see. :unsmith:

Overall, I love the poo poo out of Conspiracy.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

C-Euro posted:

A couple months ago one of my coworkers told me that she played Magic, or at least used to a decade or so ago. She keeps telling me she has her decks to show me and I finally get around to doing so today, and she has two Rishadan Ports sitting in the middle of some 200-card UW monstrosity :stare: I told her I'd definitely be interested in looking at the rest of her collection, and helping her move stuff if she wants to (I gave her the TCGPlayer page for Port, in case you were worried about me ripping her off). Anyone have any good buried treasure stories from recent memory?

Curious about this too, I actually just bought a box and am trying to get some people together to play but I've only managed five total for now.
Found an old pre-modern multiplayer mill deck. 4 Planeshift Meddling Mage, 2 Mirari's Wake, a Serra's Sanctum, Island Sanctuarys, Howling Mines, Brain Freeze, bunch of Unglued lands. Dismantled it for trade-in loots for my EDH deck. Good times. Not quite the treasured find of two Ports, but still.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So for Conspiracy brewing that doesn't involve ridiculous fantasies about the conspiracies themselves being legal... Might Tyrant's choice see play in legacy burn? 2 mana for 4 to the dome seems about where you want to be, and the 1B cost isn't too restrictive. Or does no one care because Burn isn't a tier 1 legacy deck?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Entropic posted:

So for Conspiracy brewing that doesn't involve ridiculous fantasies about the conspiracies themselves being legal... Might Tyrant's choice see play in legacy burn? 2 mana for 4 to the dome seems about where you want to be, and the 1B cost isn't too restrictive. Or does no one care because Burn isn't a tier 1 legacy deck?

It's pretty much just a better Flame Rift which can get hated out by Wasteland, so maybe?

I'm considering the 1U copy or counter a spell card for super secret tech vs. Entreat the Angels. I'm sure it's a terrible idea, but so is sticking Counterbalance and Top in Shardless BUG (at least on paper;) I'm not adverse to doing silly things. I have Pernicious Deed and Engineered Explosives but they always seem to have Pithing Needle on whichever one I have, even if I haven't cast it yet.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You should really read the latest Uncharted Realms.
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ur/303

It turns out that Kruphix knows everything in theros... and when planeswalkers come to theros, he gets their knowlege.
Recent planeswalker arrivals have given Kruphix much to think about.
Elspeth knew a ton about Phyrexia and the oil when she went to theros.
Ajani knew of Nicol Bolas ambitions.
Kiora knows of the Eldrazi and what they do to worlds.

All this worries Kruphix.
He fears he will be powerless to stop these threats should they arrive on theros.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pharohman777 posted:

He fears he will be powerless to stop these threats should they arrive on theros.
This is the dude who communicates via starfishes, right? I can see why there might be a problem.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

C-Euro posted:

Anyone have any good buried treasure stories
college buddy gave me his collection to sell. Found an Ancestral Recall stuck to an Enchantment Alteration.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

This is the dude who communicates via starfishes, right? I can see why there might be a problem.

It's the sacrifice and infect effects, man. Not even gods can handle that.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Pharohman777 posted:

You should really read the latest Uncharted Realms.
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ur/303

It turns out that Kruphix knows everything in theros... and when planeswalkers come to theros, he gets their knowlege.
Recent planeswalker arrivals have given Kruphix much to think about.
Elspeth knew a ton about Phyrexia and the oil when she went to theros.
Ajani knew of Nicol Bolas ambitions.
Kiora knows of the Eldrazi and what they do to worlds.

All this worries Kruphix.

Somehow, a god growing more and more :stare: as people arrive on its plane is hilarious. Oh my god we're hosed we're all so hosed.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

We're gonna need a bigger starfish...

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

We're gonna need a bigger starfish...

Back to Innistrad, land of the B Horror!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Not gonna lie, a block that's about the gods of Theros vs. Nicol Bolas, the Eldrazi, or the Phyrexians sounds boss as hell.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
For anyone interested in Magic history (specifically, cool decks) should read these Cult Classics columns I've been writing for the Card Kingdom newsletter

Did I mention I work for Card Kingdom? It rules

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

For anyone interested in Magic history (specifically, cool decks) should read these Cult Classics columns I've been writing for the Card Kingdom newsletter

Did I mention I work for Card Kingdom? It rules

Thanks, man. We heard the first several times.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Ramos posted:

Thanks, man. We heard the first several times.

Well I wouldn't want anyone to overlook that Card Kingdom, the premier game store in Seattle, is also something I write for in addition to being my employer

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

kingcobweb posted:

Well I wouldn't want anyone to overlook that Card Kingdom, the premier game store in Seattle, is also something I write for in addition to being my employer
Suddenly KCW slips into posting in goodgamery mode!

whydirt posted:

Not gonna lie, a block that's about the gods of Theros vs. Nicol Bolas, the Eldrazi, or the Phyrexians sounds boss as hell.
Why not a four way battle? Phyrexians fighting Eldrazi would be amazing. And make sense, I doubt they'd have any interest in their home being destroyed.

Also if we can get a card of Heliod kidney punching Nicol Bolas it makes up for everything. And if it can somehow fit into the theme of "gently caress planeswalkers", well then, too good for words.

kingcobweb posted:

I'm pretty sure that a Rosewater has hinted at "villains collide" as a future story arc, but maybe he just acknowledged it as a possibility??
But Maro also believes in skill testers, so anything he says could be him testing your skill.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I'm pretty sure that a Rosewater has hinted at "villains collide" as a future story arc, but maybe he just acknowledged it as a possibility??

• Locked thread