Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

WastedJoker posted:

Balls, I am a spellslinger.

This game sucks at explaining poo poo.

I was under the impression that both second areas (Deradune and Ellevar for Dominion) had the same 3 AMP choices from whatever quest, so you can get that particular AMP from either zone. I could be misinformed though, and I've yet to take a character through Deradune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

I was under the impression that both second areas (Deradune and Ellevar for Dominion) had the same 3 AMP choices from whatever quest, so you can get that particular AMP from either zone. I could be misinformed though, and I've yet to take a character through Deradune.

Ellevar and Deradune have unique workorders and amps and reputation. Backtracking is more or less optional and I went through the whole game without Reckful from the Ellevar Amp vendor, although IIRC there was a quest in deradune that gives you one of the amps you can get from the ellevar rep vendor, so it probably works vice versa.

Incidentally technologist required me to go back to ellevar to get a tech point that I missed since I had gone through deradune.

I don't really think it's on the game to explain that to you, it's nice to have a whole zone to play around in while gathering mats that I didn't bother with when rushing to 50.

Tokaii
Mar 8, 2004

Oldest Goon
July 29, 1942

Zephyrine posted:

I did the opposite. Miner and Survival. Mine the nodes, Shot the trees and then just enjoy the free leather while killing casually anyway.

It's like some universal rule that crafting professions in MMO can never pay out for the time and materials you put into them.

I have mining and relic hunter. I have found many dozens of relic nodes and one mining node. I'm guessing I have to do something besides just looking around as I quest?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Grogsy posted:

At first I could not agree more. Then I realized how spoiled we have become, and while I do not know why, there is a certain attraction to the "hardcordness" or "oldschoolnes" or "whatever you wanna call it" of this game.

No, how amps are handled are pretty much bullshit. I don't want to go back and farm Level 1-10 rep. There should be a universal rep that brings you up with other factions in other starting zones.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tokaii posted:

I have mining and relic hunter. I have found many dozens of relic nodes and one mining node. I'm guessing I have to do something besides just looking around as I quest?
That's... odd. Normally you should be seeing more mining nodes than relic nodes as relic nodes happen to be concentrated more in certain technological areas. Mining stuff is everywhere. Check your minimap, you should see both nodes on there or else something is wrong. I'm a Miner/Survivalist and I see rocks and trees on mine, but not relic nodes as I'm not a Relic Hunter. It should display both to you.

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
Playing on a podunk Exile server was the right idea. I got 4 CREDD at bargain price and I'm going to destroy this market come months end.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

No, how amps are handled are pretty much bullshit. I don't want to go back and farm Level 1-10 rep. There should be a universal rep that brings you up with other factions in other starting zones.

Just have someone who did it buy them for you. That's what guilds are for: doing the work so you don't have to.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tokaii posted:

Mining nodes should be set to show on your minimap by default, but maybe they're turned off - hover the mouse just under the map and click the gear icon, make sure mining nodes are turned 'on'.

That said, they tend to be around rocky areas - zone walls that are cliffs/rocks, around the base of free-standing rock formations, alongside rocky riverbanks, etc. Kind of all over. The icon on the minimap is a sort of anchor looking thing (circle with a line leading down to a half-circle smiley thing, same icon as relic nodes).

e: I just saw that the cybernetic eye costume thing is a reward for setting up the authenticator stuff? How do you do that if you don't have an iphone or another such device?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can run Android apps on a PC in an emulator. You pretty much lose the security but hey, free stuff.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

You can run Android apps on a PC in an emulator. You pretty much lose the security but hey, free stuff.

That's not how you would do it at all.

Winauth actually does authentication properly without emulation at all. It's obviously not the same as having a mobile device, but it'll keep someone who gets your login/pw from logging in all the same.

And since authenticator access can be done behind an encrypted key to access the authenticator, there is a level of protection there.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 10, 2014

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

Theyre like a G on the AH.

Tokaii
Mar 8, 2004

Oldest Goon
July 29, 1942
Where do you buy Credd for real cash?

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

WarLocke posted:

The icon on the minimap is a sort of anchor looking thing (circle with a line leading down to a half-circle smiley thing, same icon as relic nodes).
It's not the same icon.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Tokaii posted:

Where do you buy Credd for real cash?

https://shop.wildstar-online.com/product/credd

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Rhymenoserous posted:

So go buy the amp from the broker for 10 silver.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Can you go to the starting zone you didn't pick later on in the game? I know it's trivial to just walk to the other 8-15 zone but my completionist explorer senses make me want to map out the whole continent.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
Does anyone know where the creepy cave expedition fabkit is hiding? I need it to complete my barbie dreamhouse.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
yo we gettin close to beating the first boss of Stormtalon's Vet

drat the second phase is quite something though

absolutely no mistakes allowed, ever

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dr Snofeld posted:

Can you go to the starting zone you didn't pick later on in the game? I know it's trivial to just walk to the other 8-15 zone but my completionist explorer senses make me want to map out the whole continent.
Absolutely. You have to know where the little clicky is in the other first town to warp in there, though. Usually it's by a ship or something nearish to the taxi. The one in Ellevar always throws me off because it's not the sign on the platform up from the water but rather an identical looking sign on the next platform up the hill around the corner from it. It should be glowing, if I remember correctly.

Sang
Oct 7, 2008
So I tried the official buddy pass thread, but it seems pretty dead. If anyone has some buddy passes left, my friend and I are interested in trying this game out to see if we want to buy it. If anyone has 2 passes they could pm, I'd be very grateful. If for some reason I end up with more than 2, I'll pass them along to the buddy pass thread.

Thanks in advance.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Having tried half the classes during my trial period I'm still at a loss as to what I want to play if I end up buying the game; Wildstar is a vanilla WoW level shitheap of bad MMO design but it's also scratching my long-dormant itch for a WoW style game.

Supposing I do sub, how crazy are raids? Of the classes I've played I sort of love/hate the Esper and while I'm okay with the relative immobility questing at low levels I'm concerned that the class will be utterly hosed if raids require you to be moving constantly.

Warrior feels okay but rather like a generic Warrior, same with Stalker being a rogue. Spellslinger feels okay at low levels and I like their class gimmick in theory but in practice it feels clunky and unreliable to cycle on/off in combat. I haven't tried Medic yet but Warrior Priests were a blast in WAR and Medics look similar in theme.

Esper is the class I thought I'd be playing before I downloaded the game as I usually gravitate toward casters with loads of CC like EQ Enchanters or Mesmers, but I just don't know about Espers. Love the spell effects, not crazy about the idea of the class being fundamentally broken on high level content.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
My kingdom for a Chua stalker!

The Dominion races have grown on me. Someone mentioned earlier not liking the religious/temple stuff. It does seem a little odd to be a post-human robot warrior ringing bells and hustling people off to chapel, but the violin music and chanting in that area rocks.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Wheeee posted:

Having tried half the classes during my trial period I'm still at a loss as to what I want to play if I end up buying the game; Wildstar is a vanilla WoW level shitheap of bad MMO design but it's also scratching my long-dormant itch for a WoW style game.

Supposing I do sub, how crazy are raids? Of the classes I've played I sort of love/hate the Esper and while I'm okay with the relative immobility questing at low levels I'm concerned that the class will be utterly hosed if raids require you to be moving constantly.

Warrior feels okay but rather like a generic Warrior, same with Stalker being a rogue. Spellslinger feels okay at low levels and I like their class gimmick in theory but in practice it feels clunky and unreliable to cycle on/off in combat. I haven't tried Medic yet but Warrior Priests were a blast in WAR and Medics look similar in theme.

Esper is the class I thought I'd be playing before I downloaded the game as I usually gravitate toward casters with loads of CC like EQ Enchanters or Mesmers, but I just don't know about Espers. Love the spell effects, not crazy about the idea of the class being fundamentally broken on high level content.

Raids.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Wheeee posted:

This statement is absolutely ridiculous. People should stop making it.

Playing a 'turret' class properly in a scenario where movement is involved has never been an issue that keeps a class from being viable.

Also, Esper healers never have to stand still unless they cast their worst heal, so that's a thing too.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
No seriously, what do people use for soloing as a Medic? Not PvP, I couldn't give less of a gently caress. Soloing. Questing. I'm doing alright but I'm the kind of guy who likes to optimize his leveling.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Poultron posted:

No seriously, what do people use for soloing as a Medic? Not PvP, I couldn't give less of a gently caress. Soloing. Questing. I'm doing alright but I'm the kind of guy who likes to optimize his leveling.

My Build

This is what I have been using. Never die. Never Stop. Doesn't have the highest TTK but you can just keep on trucking and are pretty immune to ganks.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Yeah uh, what are you even talking about? You realize Espers were consistently parsing very high in the 20-man raids in beta, right?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Poultron posted:

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29581-medic-leveling-guide-updated-527/ just follow that

Poultron
May 26, 2006

BadLlama posted:

My Build

This is what I have been using. Never die. Never Stop. Doesn't have the highest TTK but you can just keep on trucking and are pretty immune to ganks.

I am not on a PvP server, so I don't care about ganks. Is there a way to improve the TTK with this in mind?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

BadLlama posted:

My Build

Without gamma rays or quantum cascade I think "doesn't have the highest TTK" is huge understatement.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

cathead posted:

Yeah uh, what are you even talking about? You realize Espers were consistently parsing very high in the 20-man raids in beta, right?

People seem to have this crazy idea that the Esper has mobility issues.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

A Tartan Tory posted:

People seem to have this crazy idea that the Esper has mobility issues.

The game would benefit from a trial system for classes that lets you see how they play at high level before you invest time into actually leveling them. People are writing off espers based on the newbie zone experience.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

folgore posted:

The game would benefit from a trial system for classes that lets you see how they play at high level before you invest time into actually leveling them. People are writing off espers based on the newbie zone experience.

Yeah god forbid they listen to people who have actually played the class.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Oh this works thanks guy

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

cathead posted:

Yeah god forbid they listen to people who have actually played the class.

Ok great, they should still let people trial level 25 characters at a minimum, like GW2 and I believe Tera did. There are no significant downsides to this. Everyone becomes more knowledgeable about the game and you can stop pissing your diaper every time a goon posts something stupid about espers.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Zoness posted:

This statement is absolutely ridiculous. People should stop making it.

Playing a 'turret' class properly in a scenario where movement is involved has never been an issue that keeps a class from being viable.

Also, Esper healers never have to stand still unless they cast their worst heal, so that's a thing too.

What server do I join ZONESS

GUIDE ME

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
The Lopp stoner challenge in this house is hard. :350:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

folgore posted:

Ok great, they should still let people trial level 25 characters at a minimum, like GW2 and I believe Tera did. There are no significant downsides to this. Everyone becomes more knowledgeable about the game and you can stop pissing your diaper every time a goon posts something stupid about espers.

Then you'd have people actually playing Esper past 14 and the entire class wouldn't be comprised solely of smug goonlords. No one wants that. KEEP ESPER WEIRD

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013

:stare:

Well gently caress. I was never good at bullet hell games :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

folgore posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I'm just grumpy because I really like the class but there's people being wrong about Esper EVERYWHERE. :(

• Locked thread