Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

The core book also has a lot of great setting info and illustrations. Probably the nicest RPG book I own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterEff
Sep 24, 2008
I've picked up and played the adventure in the beginner game, and I have questions about non-Nemesis NPCs rolling threat on attacks.

First, who decides how to spend the threat - the target, or the GM?

Second, if the threat is spent on strain, does that translate directly to wounds just like any other source of strain? Is it possible to kill an NPC entirely through threat-induced strain?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The target decides, and yes indeed you can take out a minion entirely with threat-induced strain. I forget if rivals have a strain track separate from their wounds, but if they don't then the same thing applies to them.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

What's the general consensus on the game's upper tiers of play?

Our game has been going on for a while now and it's getting a little rocket tag-y. Most combats between similarly skilled opponents are over pretty quickly and I find for the most part, with higher soak values and Adversary ratings, you pretty much need to go big or go home when it comes to weapons and skill ratings.

I guess what I'm asking is how would you design a high XP game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mendrian posted:

What's the general consensus on the game's upper tiers of play?

Our game has been going on for a while now and it's getting a little rocket tag-y. Most combats between similarly skilled opponents are over pretty quickly and I find for the most part, with higher soak values and Adversary ratings, you pretty much need to go big or go home when it comes to weapons and skill ratings.

I guess what I'm asking is how would you design a high XP game.

Have wounds start incurring setbacks as they start to add up, so you can wear enemies down with regular weaponry and also be worn down yourself. Then just keep a tight grip on the Rarity ratings to stop it from devolving into "I fire my huge loving turbolaser at the guy" every time. You can still have drama and tension, the key is to parsing out the encounters so they're drawn out affairs where there are multiple rounds and thus multiple dice rolls and therefore multiple chances to have advantage/threat and Triumph/Despair to spice things up and add variety.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Then just keep a tight grip on the Rarity ratings to stop it from devolving into "I fire my huge loving turbolaser at the guy" every time.
This x1000. The biggest mistake I ever made was when the group's bounty hunter got his hands on a Disruptor Pistol and modded the crit rating to 1 using the team's mechanic. 10d, Crit 1 is absolutely silly on a weapon with Vicious 4.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Everblight posted:

This x1000. The biggest mistake I ever made was when the group's bounty hunter got his hands on a Disruptor Pistol and modded the crit rating to 1 using the team's mechanic. 10d, Crit 1 is absolutely silly on a weapon with Vicious 4.

They're also very illegal or highly regulated. I told my players they'd pick up a 5 point Criminal obligation if they took one from a dead mook after a firefight. They did.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

We're walking around with a collection of lightsabers taken from the hands of Order 66 survivors that we've hunted down and murdered. It's only a matter of time before we get arrested and end up in supremely deep poo poo.

Also, fun fact, they're just not as good as they seem. They're GREAT against PCs and Rivals. But Breach 1 is usually overkill in general, the damage against minion groups falls off compared to heavier weapons, and there's no way to add attachments to try to compensate for the increased difficulty against Adversaries.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PantsOptional posted:

We're walking around with a collection of lightsabers taken from the hands of Order 66 survivors that we've hunted down and murdered.
:catstare:

Did your group start out evil, or just evolve into it?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Hey man, the Jedi tried to kill the Chancellor and led a failed rebellion. The Empire is paying good cash money for these criminals and conveniently forgetting about crimes like smuggling spice. Get money get paid.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
If a group of multiple jedi can't handle a group of EotE scum then they weren't gonna be bringing down the Empire themselves anytime soon either.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The Jedi, as in, all of them in general. We drank the Imperial propaganda Kool-Aid pretty hard.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I haven't really followed this game since it came out, but my wife and I have been on a major Star Wars kick lately. Have they released rules for playing Jedi or any other Force-using tradition like the Jensaarai and the Matukai yet?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

-Fish- posted:

I haven't really followed this game since it came out, but my wife and I have been on a major Star Wars kick lately. Have they released rules for playing Jedi or any other Force-using tradition like the Jensaarai and the Matukai yet?

No, and it's why the game is so good. There's a significantly gimped "Force-Sensitive" in the back of the main book, but it's way too much XP for what amounts to Improved Initiative and +1 Dodge.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Everblight posted:

No, and it's why the game is so good. There's a significantly gimped "Force-Sensitive" in the back of the main book, but it's way too much XP for what amounts to Improved Initiative and +1 Dodge.

There's also a Force Exile in the AoR book, but it basically amounts to the same thing, yeah.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Everblight posted:

Move and influence are pretty versatile powers even when they only work some of the time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Jedi stuff is gonna be in the 3rd core book, Force and Destiny. Presumably coming out in a little over a year-ish. (But it's and FFG product; so don't get too attached to a release date)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

art from AoR :allears:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Thanks for the name generator.

How do you guys deal with people being weary of the specialty dice. I had a friend day they souks have just used the d10 system din the 40k books. They're willing to give it a shot but I sort of hope they're not expecting the worse abdominal looking for conformation bias against it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

KomradeX posted:

Thanks for the name generator.

How do you guys deal with people being weary of the specialty dice. I had a friend day they souks have just used the d10 system din the 40k books. They're willing to give it a shot but I sort of hope they're not expecting the worse abdominal looking for conformation bias against it.

Tell them to suck it up, the dice work really well, this is one of the tightest systems I've played in.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The dice system is so much quicker than any other dice system I've played with. I think it's due to you not having to deal with numbers, but just matching symbols.

It's really slick, and once everyone learns what the symbols do, they'll sit there and make up the die resolutions very quickly.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I think so to. I'm enamored with the system and I'm looking forward to my first foray with it. One guy said you could do the whole fail a treat but have something good happen with numbered dice and I was thinking about it and that's just too arbitrarily, like what would a threshold be for something like that imagine paying an attack roll in D&D and the GM telling you, you hit him but he cried out for help and here come more guys (or whatever).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The only big system that comes close is WoD, and even that wasn't as simple or had as much variance as this.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fuzz posted:

The only big system that comes close is WoD, and even that wasn't as simple or had as much variance as this.

Unless you count Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3E as "big,", obviously.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Age of Rebellion updated to expected date: July 2014 :)

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Trip Report for Age of Empire (using Beta).

My group decided to make a Rebel Black Ops team, off the books sorta deal. They've got Asyr, a Bothan former sniper assassin; Ax, a Duros saboteur; P0-4E, a recon Droid Slicer; Lyt, a Twilek smuggler-turned-Rebel-tinkerer/pilot; and Rory the Human tactician. I started them off with the Shell Game mission from the Beta book since its seemed suited to their squad. I felt I needed to add something to the first act, though, to spice it up a bit. Spoilers for Shell Game follow.

I opened on the transport to Titan Base, and asked the group what they wanted to do during the ride. The slicer droid decided to find a computer access port, so I added the following encounter:

As he reached a maintenance access port, he came across two droids, an astromech and a humanoid repair droid, who acted nervous and alarmed at the intrusion. The slicer droid moved to another terminal while the repair droid tapped on the astromech and urged it to hurry it up. Our slicer decided to check the ship manifest for the droids. Sure enough, they were picked up at a previous stop and destined for Lt. Shara, the logistics officer at Titan Base. Still suspicious, 4E decided to snoop on what they were doing. It turned out they were trying to download the hyperdrive nav-data. Alerted to 4E's snooping, the repair droid turned on 4E with his welder, prompting a droid repair tool battle, and 4E sounding the alarm.

Asyr sprinted down to the battle and tried to pull the repair droid away, getting a headbutt in return. 4E, despite some strain damage from the arc welder, distracted the repair droid with his fusion cutter while deploying his hidden built-in blaster. The astromech, finishing its download, turned to flee toward the escape pods of the Action IV transport, but Asyr's well-placed blaster shot fried it in place, even as Ax sliced into the transport to sabotage the escape pods, resulting in a very upset ship's captain, who demanded Ax's datapad for the remaining duration of the flight. Seeing its mission failed, the repair droid activated a suicide routine and fried itself with its arc welder.

After arriving at Titan Base and reporting the potential Imperial infiltration attempt to Lt. Shara, the group went straight into their mission briefing. They responded well to Commander Elemack's comment about them being last minute replacements, and asked some good questions about their mission target, the Shell-Cracker prototype, a ship in final flight testing stage at an Imperial starbase called the Hammer. The group disguised themselves as an Imperial survey team on a captured Llambda shuttle, the aliens as indentured servants to Captain Rory, and made their way to the base.

Upon arrival, Asyr made himself a bit too conspicuous carrying his rifle case, but managed to bluff his way through by claiming his former legitimate credentials as an Imperial contractor. After deliberating in temporary quarters while their shuttle was placed on a repairs queue, the group made their way to engineering, which their credentials allowed, and started investigating via slicing. Some threats determined that the detention level's computers were dedicated and not connected to the rest of the station. However, they did find the security plan for the restricted section, where they assumed the prototype ship was. The restricted hangar turned out to have tractor beams, which Ax started tracking down the power feed for. He managed to disable the power routed to the tractor beams, and check their frequency of use, feeling reassured that while the prototype was held in that hangar, the beams hadn't been used. The group was concerned about how to get past the blast doors and ray shielding on the hangar, though. The blast doors would take a while to close, but the ray shielding would be instantaneous.

Ax wanted to try to sabotage the TIE hangar next, but was thwarted when he couldn't come up with a reason to be in that hangar. Lyt allayed suspicions with well-placed charm, and with a triumph managed to get the technician to try and impress her with the rumors he knew about the prototype. Finding out about the rumors of a ship that can penetrate shields allayed their worries about the ray shielding. Meanwhile, Asyr went to the mess area and waited patiently, and with his keen perception, managed to determine which group was the prototype technician team. He sent 4E to eavesdrop and discovered, with another triumph, that the technicians were starting early the next day to retrieve test-ordinance to make sure they worked properly through the new shield interface.

Since Rory's player determined he wasn't going to be able to continue playing, I announced he didn't show up to the rendezvous after he went off to investigate the detention center. Since alarms hadn't gone off and they hadn't been detained, the group broke into the armory and found the test ordinance. They tore out the internals and stashed them out of sight, then climbed into the hollowed out heavy bombs (about 1 meter diameter), Lyt's idea. Unfortunately, there were only two bombs, so Asyr volunteered to try and fast talk his way through. When the engineers showed up the next day to retrieve the bombs, Asyr stood outside the armory and said nothing. When they left, he started marching lockstep. When the technicians questioned him, he spoke as if he assumed they knew he'd been reassigned to them. I granted him a boost die for the convincing portrayal, and when they checked up on his story, along with his upgrading with a destiny point, and a second boost die when they checked up on his story and spoke to the logistics officer who suspected when they landed that the secretive contractor may have been on the Hammer for some secret mission, he managed to convince the team.

That still left the two security checkpoints into the restricted section. With another destiny point, Asyr made it through the first checkpoint. While his team went through, hidden in the bombs, the door to the hangar open to let the technicians pass, Asyr was restrained by the security team, who started to recheck his credentials, finding some discrepancies. He had failed the roll to bluff his way through, but decided to use his advantage to take a sudden maneuver and dive through the door, dragging his slicer droid with him. As the guards turned to open fire, Asyr knocked on the bombs, shocking the technicians when his teammates burst from cover and blasted them. Sprinting to the ship while returning fire, the group managed to seal themselves inside the Shell-Cracker and start it up. Praying as they burst through the ray shielding and the slowly closing blast doors, Asyr climbed into the turret and ionized the TIE fighters as they launched, while Lyt punched it and Ax started the astrogation compilations. Since the tractor beams were non-functional, Lyt continued to speed away from the station at full tilt.

4E sent the pre-arranged signal to Nightmare squadron, from Titan Base, who jumped in from their staging point to support the escape. Nightmare squadron landed an astoundingly lucky barrage with their proton torpedoes as the TIEs on maneuvers in the nearby asteroid field closed in, due to some excellent spotting by Asyr. The second wing of fighters shot down one member of the squadron, and another fell in the dogfight while the navicomputer finished the compilations, allowing the group to jump to hyperspace and safety.

Congratulated for their successful mission, Commander Elemack let the group rest and recover from their battle wounds. Two days later, Lt. Shara approached the team with a new recruit, mercenary Kossir, a trandoshan hired gun. Command hadn't time to put together an official mission to investigate the infiltrator droids, so the Lt was hoping that the team would be willing to investigate the spot the droids were picked up from on Doniphon...

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The Roll20 sheet is really coming along nicely. He added a feature to allow GMs to manipulate difficulty dice, and also added a display for skill checks that tells you what you can do with certain results:

It really has taken the game to another level for my players.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

How do you guys conceal being force sensitive form other players? I'm about to start a campaign and one guy wants to be force sensitive, but I talked him into keeping it a secret. Do you just not mention when you give him a boost die on perception checks? Or do you just tell the players and expect them to roleplay?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Prefect Six posted:

How do you guys conceal being force sensitive form other players? I'm about to start a campaign and one guy wants to be force sensitive, but I talked him into keeping it a secret. Do you just not mention when you give him a boost die on perception checks? Or do you just tell the players and expect them to roleplay?

It is always easier to tell the players and expect them to roleplay their ignorance. Unlike using the Force to backflip over a dewback, it's not as though it's obvious somebody is doing something special to notice more.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

What are people's thoughts about the unofficial menagerie? How do people feel about the balance or lack thereof?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Prefect Six posted:

What are people's thoughts about the unofficial menagerie? How do people feel about the balance or lack thereof?

Well, my PbPs are pretty infamous for not allowing the unofficial species. I don't have a problem with the, per se, I just really prefer to stick with official options.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Prefect Six posted:

It's been a while since I looked at the whole list but half my players use races out of the menagerie and it never seemed out of balance to us. Species stats aren't really that significant to be honest.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Prefect Six posted:

They're fine. I honestly think the species UOM's model of '322221' is more balanced than some of the official '332211' races that have been released.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Prefect Six posted:

I've had stuff like this in my games since I was like 15 and I've never been a fan of it. There's always somebody who wants to keep a secret OOC and then at some unspecified date there's going to be a big reveal and everybody will be like "WOAH SO AWESOME" and it'll be great. Except it never loving works out that way - in my experience somebody finds out the 'wrong' way and every game becomes a comedy of errors. Not to mention the Secret-Keeper tends to get all smug about his or her secret.

I've found that it tends to be far more dramatic if everybody knows OOC since then you can sort of relish those near-misses together. Of course, sometimes there's that one person in the group who will say or do anything to turn OOC knowledge into IC knowledge but yeah secrets are frustrating and dull. But yeah trying to keep everybody unaware that you get a special secret boost die on perception tests or that you can cancel black dice on Streetwise checks is like the opposite of fun.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Prefect Six posted:

I'd say don't conceal it from the players at the table. It's just not that interesting. Also aside from Move, I don't think any of the Force powers presented thus far would actually be noticeable to an outside observer.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Thanks for all the input! I skimmed the thread looking for any definitive cheat sheets, does anyone have one they really like? An abbreviated talent/skill (with controlling stat) list would be nice.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
See there are a lot but most of it is for EotE and not a lot includes the rebellion stuff.

Let me get the important links for you:

First up the place to be to ask questions if you are in a hurry is #sweote on irc.synirc.net I 100% recommend popping in there if you are looking for information on EotE.

Second, if you have new players and they are all complaining about how the dice works, here is a sweet easy guide for that. The original was taken down for some reason so I thought I'd put it back up.

This is the Big reference sheet which I find to be a great quick GM aid so I dont have to look in the book. Some of it might be a little off, but for the most part it works a charm.

There's your usual One page reference sheet, which should have some part of what youare looking for, Advanced combat sheet, and The greatest character generator you are going to find for this baby out there. It's got all the details, but none of the writing in the talent stuff so you will need a reference to look that up (or just type it in yourself if you wish)

Finally, the main reason why there isn't a massive list is that people on the FFG forum have pretty much kicked our asses at making a compiled resources list. It's not perfect by a long margin, but it's the best you're going to find around. Take a look to see if there is anything on there you like.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Druggeddwarf posted:

See there are a lot but most of it is for EotE and not a lot includes the rebellion stuff.

Let me get the important links for you:

First up the place to be to ask questions if you are in a hurry is #sweote on irc.synirc.net I 100% recommend popping in there if you are looking for information on EotE.

Second, if you have new players and they are all complaining about how the dice works, here is a sweet easy guide for that. The original was taken down for some reason so I thought I'd put it back up.

This is the Big reference sheet which I find to be a great quick GM aid so I dont have to look in the book. Some of it might be a little off, but for the most part it works a charm.

There's your usual One page reference sheet, which should have some part of what youare looking for, Advanced combat sheet, and The greatest character generator you are going to find for this baby out there. It's got all the details, but none of the writing in the talent stuff so you will need a reference to look that up (or just type it in yourself if you wish)

Finally, the main reason why there isn't a massive list is that people on the FFG forum have pretty much kicked our asses at making a compiled resources list. It's not perfect by a long margin, but it's the best you're going to find around. Take a look to see if there is anything on there you like.

Thanks! I've been browsing through that compiled list on FFG's forum, but wanted to see if anyone here had found some better. I've got OggDude's chargen and it is really nice. As a C# novice, I was really hoping he posted the source to git or somewhere, but doesn't look like that's the case. Can't really blame him, looks like he put in quite a bit of work on it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I've just picked up the core book, and reading through it it looks like you can't purchase stat increases with XP after character creation. Am I misreading or is this the case? Doesn't that heavily encourage all your players to spend their entire starting XP on stat ups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Doesn't that heavily encourage all your players to spend their entire starting XP on stat ups?

Yes.

You can buy a single stat up with the dedication talent at the bottom of each talent tree you buy access to though.

• Locked thread