Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

duckmaster posted:

Isn't it a massive philosophical question as well? Sort of like if a tree falls in a forest and nobodys there, does it make a sound? If I experience terrible pain but don't remember it, did I experience that pain? I had that pain and experienced it but I don't have an experience of that pain so I didn't have it..

Maybe I've been given that drug before :psyboom:

Well, when you're in pain, your brain doesn't just try to dump as much serotonin and dopamine into you as it can to relieve the pain, it's also under a fuckton of stress, so it's firing off all sorts of OH HOLY poo poo gently caress ME stress hormones at the same time. Presumably, you'd still have "proof" of the pain in your bloodstream after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Right, but you'd so be spared the secondary effects of pain induced stress, and likely be healthier overall for it.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I've had it a bunch of times. It's exactly the same mechanism as when you black out from drinking.

I kept having surgeries on my hand after I crushed it in a car wreck in 2013 and my pinky was reattached, and it was administered as part of general anesthesia (I can't comment on exactly how routine this is, though). I'm not sure if this might have been just because there is sometimes a need to be woken up so the plastic surgeon can assess my ability to move my hand, and you can be brought back to consciousness yet still in that black-out "fugue state".

My cousin had the similar procedures because of a similar type of injury, but he REMEMBERS being woken up. He told me about looking at his filleted-open hand at his own request, moving it or something, then going back to sleep. This would have been in the early nineties or even earlier, which is (I believe) before Versed was being used, or at least was mainstream.

Most EMT's have really strict protocols to adhere to, and would probably only be able to administer the drug under a Doctors explicit direction (these vary by state in the US). If it's used in a hospital setting, it's probably under the observation of multiple doctors - and it's inappropriate use is probably the type of ethics violation and/or malpractice they work really hard to avoid.

So yeah, it's an interesting thing to think about, but not something I'd personally worry about because in The infrequent instances that it IS used, it's drat justified.

Reminds me a little bit of http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scopolamine, which criminals in South America use to incapacitate you and get you into a highly suggestible, passive state in which you'll reputedly help them carry the stuff they're stealing from you.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

The Scientist posted:

Reminds me a little bit of http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scopolamine, which criminals in South America use to incapacitate you and get you into a highly suggestible, passive state in which you'll reputedly help them carry the stuff they're stealing from you.

I'm surprised how succesful some people are at tricking people into drinking solutions of it. They must really have a hard on for the con women who administer the spiked drinks to them because alkaloids in general taste very horrible and bitter. How strong does scopolamine taste? Some alkaloids are pretty manageable taste wise, while others, such as strychnine can be detected by it's strong bitter taste a mile away.

Speaking of which, strychnine is one of the scariest plant toxins i can think of. Inhibits glycine, which is a neurotransmittor inhibitor of the spinal cord, basically causes your muscles to spasm and convulse. Imagine having each skeletal muscle you have convulsing and your body all arched out as can be, and then death comes from asphyxiation caused by said spasms. It doesn't affect your brain directly either, so ones mind is completely clear.

It's an amazing looking molecule too, it's amazing how plants have evolved to synthesize such compounds for themselves, starting from innocuous terpenes and amino acids in the case of strychnine.

Boggles the mind the accumulated random mutations and selections which finally makes such a powerful poison able to be produced.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Jun 10, 2014

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
I might sound a bit thick here but is the purpose of Midazolam to induce amnesia or is this just a side effect of its anesthetic function? and if so, whats the purpose of inducing amnesia??

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Falukorv posted:

Some alkaloids are pretty manageable taste wise, while others, such as strychnine can be detected by it's strong bitter taste a mile away.

Speaking of which, strychnine is one of the scariest plant toxins i can think of. Inhibits glycine, which is a neurotransmittor inhibitor of the spinal cord, basically causes your muscles to spasm and convulse. Imagine having each skeletal muscle you have convulsing and your body all arched out as can be, and then death comes from asphyxiation caused by said spasms. It doesn't affect your brain directly either, so ones mind is completely clear.

There was a case in the early 90's of girls playing a high school basketball game who were slipped strychnine and developed more or less permanent tremors. I assume they were too thirsty to notice the taste.

I tried finding a mention of it online, but instead I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_in_sport#Strychnine_at_the_Olympics

quote:

Thomas Hicks, an American born in England on January 7, 1875, won the Olympic marathon in 1904. He crossed the line behind a fellow American Fred Lorz, who had been transported for 11 miles of the course by his trainer, leading to his disqualification. However, Hicks's trainer Charles Lucas, pulled out a syringe and came to his aid as his runner began to struggle.

"I therefore decided to inject him with a milligram of sulphate of strychnine and to make him drink a large glass brimming with brandy. He set off again as best he could [but] he needed another injection four miles from the end to give him a semblance of speed and to get him to the finish."

The use of strychnine, at the time, was thought necessary to survive demanding races, according to sports historians Alain Lunzenfichter and historian of sports doping, Dr Jean-Pierre de Mondenard, who said:

"It has to be appreciated that at the time the menace of doping for the health of athletes or of the purity of competition had yet to enter the morals because, after this marathon, the official race report said: The marathon has shown from a medical point of view how drugs can be very useful to athletes in long-distance races."

Hicks was, in the phrase of the time, "between life and death" but recovered, collected his gold medal a few days later, and lived for almost 60 more years, although he never again took part in athletics.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

spleen merchant posted:

I might sound a bit thick here but is the purpose of Midazolam to induce amnesia or is this just a side effect of its anesthetic function? and if so, whats the purpose of inducing amnesia??

So if you wake up while they're cutting into your chest or your eye, you don't go insane from enduring minutes or hours of unspeakable pain, as some anesthetics have been known to wear off unexpectedly while the paralytics that keep your unconscious body from jerking around do not.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

spleen merchant posted:

Apparently the purpose is to forget the last page of posts. Good news, it worked!

And, to provide some content, the current situation with Casey Kasem's wife and children fighting disturbs the hell out of me. Basically, he's mute, and his children had been wanting to see him, but his current wife wouldn't tell anyone where he was. The kids got custody and he was found in Washington State, which is possibly a happy ending, but the fact that we, the public, have no idea what Kasem himself wants, yet this battle is being played out so publicly, it's disconcerting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Kasem

Grassy Knowles has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Jun 10, 2014

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Jack Gladney posted:

So if you wake up while they're cutting into your chest or your eye, you don't go insane from enduring minutes or hours of unspeakable pain, as some anesthetics have been known to wear off unexpectedly while the paralytics that keep your unconscious body from jerking around do not.

If you were fully paralyzed on the operating table, how would they know you had regained consciousness and thus required the use of Midazolam?

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanning

Doctors worldwide drilled holes in skulls from at least 6500 BC until well into the modern era. They performed these operations to cure seizures, migraines and mental disorders, and also to remove fragments of fractured skull and pooled blood. To this days, there's wackos who do it as new age medicine. Here's a quote from someone who was really happy to remove part of his skull:

quote:

After some time there was an ominous sounding schlurp and the sound of bubbling. I drew the trepan out and the gurgling continued. It sounded like air bubbles running under the skull as they were pressed out. I looked at the trepan and there was a bit of bone in it. At last!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Phyzzle posted:

There was a case in the early 90's of girls playing a high school basketball game who were slipped strychnine and developed more or less permanent tremors. I assume they were too thirsty to notice the taste.

I tried finding a mention of it online, but instead I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_in_sport#Strychnine_at_the_Olympics

Yeah i might be wrong, it is insanely bitter but according to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strychnine_poisoning#Notable_strychnine_poisonings) several people have been fooled anyway.

But even if you can taste the bitterness, one might be fooled anyway if it's laced in a drink that is expected to have a bitter taste. Like a guy in that linked who drank it from cough syrup, which is essentially a foul tasting concoction of bitter plant-based alkaloids in the first place.
So if you can trick someone that they're drinking medicine, you can also trick them into drinking strychnine.

Anyway, surprising to hear about this more modern cases, as strychnine is something i imagined people were doing pre-1930's. You know, royal assassinations, 19th century crime novels type poo poo.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Strychnine poisonings are kinda scary I guess. I probably wouldn't want to ingest poison to run faster than death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hicks_(athlete)

... then again its also forbidden now for athletes.

E: this is about twitchy Thomas more than the Olympic article as a whole :colbert:

Sponge Baathist has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Jun 11, 2014

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

amityville anus posted:

Strychnine poisonings are kinda scary I guess. I probably wouldn't want to ingest poison to run faster than death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hicks_(athlete)

... then again its also forbidden now for athletes.

6 posts up, duder.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

MrGreenShirt posted:

If you were fully paralyzed on the operating table, how would they know you had regained consciousness and thus required the use of Midazolam?

Many hospitals have begun using more advanced monitoring devices that will tell everyone that the patient needs more anesthesia, but there's no guarantee every operating room uses them and they are also unreliable in many cases. There are certain techniques, like applying a tourniquet to an arm before muscle relaxers are administered, thus allowing the patient to move their arm should they become conscious.

Like all things in life, it has a wikipedia article.

You all may also be comforted by the fact that, not only is this incident uncommon, but you often do not remember anything that happens during moments of consciousness.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Scopolamine!

I used to work at a major pharmaceuticals company and the plant had all sorts of crazy dangerous chemicals that where laying around. Which included 100Kg of 100% pure scopolamine which was one of the deadliest things in the plant for use in a sea sickness patch we made that just sat out in cupboard with a few warning labels on it. We also had things like Rivastigmine tartrate which are nerve toxins without any refinement or alteration, and morphine so concentrated a single drop on your skin can cause an overdose.

Enoch Root
Aug 28, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You all may also be comforted by the fact that, not only is this incident uncommon, but you often do not remember anything that happens during moments of consciousness.

This is true, I regained consciousness in the middle of my wisdom teeth being taken out to the point where they literally had to strap me to the table so they could knock me out again (I guess I was a little upset about it).

After the surgery the only thing I remember is the moment before I went under looking at the IV in my hand and then waking up with the IV in my other hand with leather straps on both of my arms.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Enoch Root posted:

This is true, I regained consciousness in the middle of my wisdom teeth being taken out to the point where they literally had to strap me to the table so they could knock me out again (I guess I was a little upset about it).

After the surgery the only thing I remember is the moment before I went under looking at the IV in my hand and then waking up with the IV in my other hand with leather straps on both of my arms.

When I had mine taken out, I remained, strictly speaking, conscious.

Nitrous is the way to go for that poo poo. It's a lovely time.

PutinOnTheRitz
Oct 25, 2010

duckmaster posted:

Isn't it a massive philosophical question as well? Sort of like if a tree falls in a forest and nobodys there, does it make a sound? If I experience terrible pain but don't remember it, did I experience that pain? I had that pain and experienced it but I don't have an experience of that pain so I didn't have it..

Maybe I've been given that drug before :psyboom:

I had my knee operated on when I was 18, and the nerve block didn't work. When I woke up from the anesthesia as planned, I felt everything they had done during the surgery- which amounted to cutting through my tibia, rotating it inwards 25 degrees, reattaching, then aligning what was left of my kneecap in an artificial socket. Lots of bone pain, to say the least. My parents were there as I woke up and began to feel everything, and apparently it only took a minute or two until a doctor had me knocked out and rolled over to get a proper nerve block in my thigh again. I don't remember any of this, but I always chalked it up to the anesthetic, or shock or something. Now, I wonder.

When they did the second knee a year later, they kicked up the anaesthesia and triple checked the nerve block before I went under. Smooth sailing on that one!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

When I had mine taken out, I remained, strictly speaking, conscious.

Nitrous is the way to go for that poo poo. It's a lovely time.

Meh, it didn't make the bonesaw to my jaw any less nerve-wracking (and it still hurt, though obviously not as much as it would without nitrous and novocaine).

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Jack Gladney posted:

anesthetics have been known to wear off unexpectedly while the paralytics that keep your unconscious body from jerking around do not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intraoperative_awareness

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does anybody have the link from the last thread about that Russian guy who personally executed something like 1000 people?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
From today's Wikipedia featured article.

Two people cross a racetrack to go help a driver whose car had caught on fire, just as four more cars are coming around a curve. One of the guys narrowly makes it to the other side. The other... Doesn't.

Emphasis added by me.

quote:

As the two men started to run across the track, four cars driven by Hans-Joachim Stuck, Pryce, Jacques Laffite and Gunnar Nilsson were exiting the final corner and coming onto the main straight.

From his position Pryce could not see Van Vuuren and was unable to react as quickly as Stuck had done. He struck the teenage marshal at approximately 270 km/h (170 mph). Van Vuuren was thrown into the air and landed in front of Zorzi and Bill. He died on impact, and his body was badly mutilated by Pryce's car. The fire extinguisher he had been carrying smashed into Pryce's head, before striking the Shadow's roll hoop. The force of the impact was such that the extinguisher was thrown up and over the adjacent grandstand. It came to ground in the car park to the rear of the stand, where it hit a parked car and jammed its door shut.

The impact with the fire extinguisher wrenched Pryce's helmet upward sharply, and he was partly decapitated by the strap. Death was almost certainly instantaneous. Pryce's Shadow DN8, now with its driver dead at the wheel, continued at speed down the main straight towards the first corner, called Crowthorne. The car left the track to the right, scraping the metal barriers, hitting an entrance for emergency vehicles, and veering back onto the track. It then hit Jacques Laffite's Ligier, sending both Pryce and Laffite head-on into the barriers. Van Vuuren's injuries were so severe that, initially, his body was identified only after the race director had summoned all of the race marshals and he was not among them.

High-speed accidents scare the poo poo out of me :stonklol:

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
Speaking of strychnine, there was a recent case in Australia where a father went to a chemist (=drugstore, for the Americans) looking for something to help stop his son from biting his nails. Somehow he was sold a bottle of strychnine to put on his kid's fingers. Later that day someone realised what had happened and there was a massive media campaign to try to warn the guy, luckily he was contacted in time. But it's pretty crazy that a suburban chemist had bottles of strychnine sitting on the shelves, could've easily ended very badly.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Geoff posted:

Speaking of strychnine, there was a recent case in Australia where a father went to a chemist (=drugstore, for the Americans) looking for something to help stop his son from biting his nails. Somehow he was sold a bottle of strychnine to put on his kid's fingers. Later that day someone realised what had happened and there was a massive media campaign to try to warn the guy, luckily he was contacted in time. But it's pretty crazy that a suburban chemist had bottles of strychnine sitting on the shelves, could've easily ended very badly.

I dunno, it isn't that odd to me. From what I understand, many pharmacists still have laudanum in stock (basically an alcohol/opium cocktail) in case... you know, someone needs it? That's about as fatal as anything else, just more fun.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

The Geoff posted:

Speaking of strychnine, there was a recent case in Australia where a father went to a chemist (=drugstore, for the Americans) looking for something to help stop his son from biting his nails.

That seems somewhat excessive given that you can buy Cayenne pepper-flavored nail polish as a nail biting deterrent. (Not that it worked on me as a child, I just adopted a taste for peppers. But at least I didn't convulse and die horribly!)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I dunno, it isn't that odd to me. From what I understand, many pharmacists still have laudanum in stock (basically an alcohol/opium cocktail) in case... you know, someone needs it? That's about as fatal as anything else, just more fun.

I work in a pharmacy in the UK and holy Christ no, we don't have laudanum or strychnine just sitting around in case somebody needs them. We do have a massive attic that was full of ancient bottles of horrifying stuff, and when we were finally able to explain this to the regulators, they got very quiet and sent over some men in serious gear to get rid of it all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Enoch Root posted:

It's not a horrifying story, but I was watching a Tested podcast where Adam Savage told the most awesome surgery story ever.

James Randi (the famous magician and debunker) was having surgery done, and was chatting with the nurse before going under. Eventually he tells her about being a magician etc.

"Oh, so you're a magician? I'll show you a trick. Close your eyes and count backwards from 10."

So he counted backwards 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 and when he opened his eyes, he was in the recovery room!

The nurse had memorized where he dozed off during the count-down and had restarted him counting at that number while he was waking up. Apparently, it felt completely seamless to him, and he regards it as the best magic trick he's ever been part of.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

HopperUK posted:

I work in a pharmacy in the UK and holy Christ no, we don't have laudanum or strychnine just sitting around in case somebody needs them. We do have a massive attic that was full of ancient bottles of horrifying stuff, and when we were finally able to explain this to the regulators, they got very quiet and sent over some men in serious gear to get rid of it all.

Thank gently caress for that. I have a friend who worked in a pharmacy, and she told me they had all sorts of bizarre poo poo lying around still. Old pharmaceuticals ain't nothin' to gently caress with.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's not a horrifying story, but I was watching a Tested podcast where Adam Savage told the most awesome surgery story ever.

James Randi (the famous magician and debunker) was having surgery done, and was chatting with the nurse before going under. Eventually he tells her about being a magician etc.

"Oh, so you're a magician? I'll show you a trick. Close your eyes and count backwards from 10."

So he counted backwards 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 and when he opened his eyes, he was in the recovery room!

The nurse had memorized where he dozed off during the count-down and had restarted him counting at that number while he was waking up. Apparently, it felt completely seamless to him, and he regards it as the best magic trick he's ever been part of.

This is an awesome story. I love James Randi. :unsmith:

Could I get a link to the episode, by chance?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Could I get a link to the episode, by chance?

It's one of their "Still Untitled - The Adam Savage project" podcasts, but I can't remember which one. You should watch/listen to all of them, though, they're full of great stories and random geeky ramblings on everything from home ownership to which place in the Mission District has the best burritos.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Mikl posted:

From today's Wikipedia featured article.

Two people cross a racetrack to go help a driver whose car had caught on fire, just as four more cars are coming around a curve. One of the guys narrowly makes it to the other side. The other... Doesn't.

Emphasis added by me.

High-speed accidents scare the poo poo out of me :stonklol:

You can find the video somewhere. Apparently, human beings hit by 200 MPH cars sound like hitting cardboard boxes.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

bean_shadow posted:

You can find the video somewhere. Apparently, human beings hit by 200 MPH cars sound like hitting cardboard boxes.

Extremely not mind-safe, obviously. I had actually thought that Tom Pryce was the marshal who got hit, not an entirely separate driver.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Does anybody have the link from the last thread about that Russian guy who personally executed something like 1000 people?

Vasili Blokhin

quote:

Blokhin's most infamous act was the April 1940 execution by shooting of over 7,000 Polish prisoners interned in the Ostashkov prisoner of war camp—mostly military—and police officers who had been captured following the Soviet invasion of Poland in 1939—as part of the extended Katyn massacre.[10] ...

Blokhin initially decided on an ambitious quota of 300 executions per night; and engineered an efficient system in which the prisoners were individually led to a small antechamber—which had been painted red and was known as the "Leninist room"—for a brief and cursory positive identification, before being handcuffed and led into the execution room next door. The room was specially designed with padded walls for soundproofing, a sloping concrete floor with a drain and hose, and a log wall for the prisoners to stand against. Blokhin would stand waiting behind the door in his executioner garb: a leather butcher's apron, leather hat, and shoulder-length leather gloves. Then, without a hearing, the reading of a sentence or any other formalities, each prisoner was brought in and restrained by guards while Blokhin shot him once in the base of the skull with a German Walther Model 2 .25 ACP pistol.[13][14][15] He had brought a briefcase full of his own Walther pistols, since he did not trust the reliability of the standard-issue Soviet TT-30 for the frequent, heavy use he intended. The use of a German pocket pistol, which was commonly carried by German police and intelligence agents, also provided plausible deniability of the executions if the bodies were discovered later.[16]

Blokhin and his team worked without pause for ten hours each night, with Blokhin executing an average of one prisoner every three minutes.[3] At the end of the night, Blokhin provided vodka to all his men.[18] On April 27, 1940, Blokhin secretly received the Order of the Red Banner and a modest monthly pay premium as a reward from Joseph Stalin for his "skill and organization in the effective carrying out of special tasks".[19][20] His count of 7,000 shot in 28 days remains the most organized and protracted mass murder by a single individual on record;[3] and saw him being named the Guinness World Record holder for 'Most Prolific Executioner' in 2010.[4]

Not much left to say after that.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
"Twilight sleep" was made up of morphine and scopolamine, this is what they used to give to women in labor. They woke up with a baby that they didn't remember having, and no memory of pain.

From the unfortunately brief Wikipedia article:.

quote:

The next thing I knew I was awake [...] and then I thought to myself "I wonder how long before I shall begin to have the baby," and while I was still wondering a nurse came in with a pillow, and on the pillow was a baby, and they said I had had it—perhaps I had—but I certainly can never prove it in a courtroom.[6]

As we've been discussing though, with scopolamine, no memory of pain does not mean no pain. Because the combination of twilight sleep and the pain of childbirth was so disorienting and overwhelming, it could bring on panic and delirium. Some of these woman had to be physically restrained by being tied at the hands and feet with lambswool restraints or put into straitjackets. Their heads might also be wrapped to keep them from injuring themselves in their thrashing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The nearest modern equivalent is probably kaolin & morphine, which is still OTC in some UK pharmacies. It's sold as a liquid in a solution/suspension of water with some alcohol and ether. The active dose is very low though, it's for symptomatic relief of diarrhea/stomach pain as opposed to the huge (and dubious) range of things laudanum was prescribed for.

There have been cases in the past where people have attempted to consume a number of bottles of it for recreational purposes. Ingesting that much suspended clay alongside something that reduces gut water content is a bad idea.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

bean_shadow posted:

And you will appreciate how understated this sentence is:

quote:

He died on impact, and his body was badly mutilated by Pryce's car.
Yeah, badly mutilated sounds pretty awful but it really doesn't accurately describe the situation.

Enoch Root
Aug 28, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

And you will appreciate how understated this sentence is:

quote:

He died on impact, and his body was badly mutilated by Pryce's car.
Yeah, badly mutilated sounds pretty awful but it really doesn't accurately describe the situation.

It can be pretty bad, I have a paramedic friend who responded to a scene where a street racer hit a pedestrian (can't remember how fast they were going). Basically the victim was apparently cut in half with the top half being found about 100ft down the road from the bottom half :stonk:

Needless to say she had to take some time off after that one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Also in disturbing cetacean news, check out this bizarre as gently caress 1960s experiment to teach dolphins to speak English:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/08/the-dolphin-who-loved-me

It's weird as hell and totally unethical - and that's even before they start injecting the dolphins with LSD.

(artist's impression)

Apparently they would paint their faces black and their lips white so the dolphins could see their mouths better.

This is one of the craziest loving things I've ever read.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

1stGear posted:

Extremely not mind-safe, obviously. I had actually thought that Tom Pryce was the marshal who got hit, not an entirely separate driver.

Jeeeeeeeesus. And I thought the other video I'd found was bad, where the camera was focused on the burning car from the front and all you see of the accident is a spray of gibs across the bottom of the screen.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
He certainly paid the Pryce for that error

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Kimmalah posted:

No it wasn't Aatrek.

The guy wasn't a goon at all, he just gets posted in these creepy threads a lot and for some reason people get it mixed up.

Satisfyingly, as I finished reading the incredibly disturbing transcript, I switched tabs to amazon prime to find something to watch, and the first thing my eyes saw was for "deadwood". Gave me a much-needed chuckle.