Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Genderfluid posted:

the knob is really nice, if that helps. speaking of the 670.

Security Camera, Berlin by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Nice shot.

Its absolutely the price thats holding me back from buying one, I'd just prefer a winder rather than a knob :gay:

I'm nearly definitely going to get a GS645s, yes its 6x4.5, but I just don't shoot 35mm anymore and a 16 shot roll with decent sized negatives seems like a pretty good point and shoot to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Spedman posted:

Nice shot.

Its absolutely the price thats holding me back from buying one, I'd just prefer a winder rather than a knob :gay:

I'm nearly definitely going to get a GS645s, yes its 6x4.5, but I just don't shoot 35mm anymore and a 16 shot roll with decent sized negatives seems like a pretty good point and shoot to me.

i started using 35mm again when i got a little point and shoot, an olympus xa2. i just put up a bunch of stuff from that on my flickr. i found that the shooting style with that kind of camera was a nice compliment to a medium format camera. here are two more from the 670.

Ben, Amsterdam by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Le Gendarme, Paris by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Genderfluid posted:

i started using 35mm again when i got a little point and shoot, an olympus xa2. i just put up a bunch of stuff from that on my flickr. i found that the shooting style with that kind of camera was a nice compliment to a medium format camera. here are two more from the 670.

Ben, Amsterdam by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Le Gendarme, Paris by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

I've got a mju:ii (epic stylus) that I use every now and again, and thats my go to 35mm, as its really pocketable and a proper point and shoot. And getting rid of a quite good 35mm that I just don't use at all for a medium format size thats somewhere between 35mm and 6x9 would be nice. Plus I just like Fuji medium format cameras, have to collect 'em all!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Tell me how bad of an idea this is:

Pentax 6x7
Pentax 55mm f4 SMC
Inoperative meter TTL prism

- What's really new about the 6x7 vs the 67? Is it worth the extra money to get a 67 over a 6x7?
- I'm assuming that if I get a TTL prism, but the metering is broken, I can still use it, just without metering.
- Anything else I'm forgetting? Aside from major neck and spine surgery, a beefy strap, and some 120 or 220 film

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Wild EEPROM posted:

- I'm assuming that if I get a TTL prism, but the metering is broken, I can still use it, just without metering.

Yeah. Also, a 55mm lens on 6x7 is really wide, equivalent to ~25mm on 35mm film. You might not find it very versatile, so you might want to consider a different lens.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

Pentax 6x7
Pentax 55mm f4 SMC

- What's really new about the 6x7 vs the 67? Is it worth the extra money to get a 67 over a 6x7?
- Anything else I'm forgetting? Aside from major neck and spine surgery, a beefy strap, and some 120 or 220 film

Don't forget dat grip, its the only reason to get the camera. :c00lbert:

Also the strap is weird on the 6x7, at least for mine (I think its the very first version) uses a special strap that attaches to what I can only describe as rivets on the front of the camera body, so you will probably want to get the strap as well.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ezekiel_980 posted:

The other reason would be the 105/2.4 cream machine.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Wild EEPROM posted:

Pentax 6x7
Pentax 55mm f4 SMC

Just gonna do a little shameless plug. I'm currently selling my P6x7 kit in the photo gear buy thread for $425 shipped.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3125105&perpage=40&pagenumber=188#post430400298

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Large Hadron posted:

Yeah. Also, a 55mm lens on 6x7 is really wide, equivalent to ~25mm on 35mm film. You might not find it very versatile, so you might want to consider a different lens.

Yup, one of the reasons, I like wides. I have a 14mm on my aps-c dslr (equivalent to about 21mm), and it's great. Maybe I'll pick something else up, just not now.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Also the strap is weird on the 6x7, at least for mine (I think its the very first version) uses a special strap that attaches to what I can only describe as rivets on the front of the camera body, so you will probably want to get the strap as well.

I'm thinking of using my blackrapid. Or would that be too weak for the massive mannliness that this camera is?

Im That One Guy posted:

Just gonna do a little shameless plug. I'm currently selling my P6x7 kit in the photo gear buy thread for $425 shipped.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...8#post430400298

Sent you a PM
Edit: you don't have PMs, just posted in the thread instead

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

alkanphel posted:

The other reason would be the 105/2.4 cream machine.

I have that lens and I'm not all that impressed with it. Because it has the special thorium lenses it has gone yellow over time and so far nothing I have tried has removed the drat tint.

Wild EEPROM posted:

I'm thinking of using my blackrapid. Or would that be too weak for the massive mannliness that this camera is?

I've never tried it my self because I usually use a tripod cus its so drat heavy but i'll give it a go this weekend and let you know the results.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I have that lens and I'm not all that impressed with it. Because it has the special thorium lenses it has gone yellow over time and so far nothing I have tried has removed the drat tint.

What did you try? Depending on your weather it might take up to a month of exposure to sunlight to completely fix.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

What did you try? Depending on your weather it might take up to a month of exposure to sunlight to completely fix.

Since my apartment is surrounded by trees I decided to skip sun and try lamps. I first tried a energy efficient black light bulb but a few days did nothing and reading indicated that it prolly wouldn't help. I'm trying the ikea lamp that has been mentioned on a few web pages and that has done very little over the course of a week. So I switched to the front end of lens today to see if that will help. After that I might see if I can pay to use time in a tanning salon bed for the drat thing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Wild EEPROM posted:

Pentax 6x7
Pentax 55mm f4 SMC

Nothing is new in the 67 vs the 6x7 model. Some of the 6x7 models have MLU ("6x7 MLU") and the 67 is identical to those. Some of the 6x7 models also do not have MLU ("6x7 pre-MLU"), where 67 is guaranteed to have MLU. Other than that, supposedly some of the feed gearing in the 67 became plastic, so it may be marginally lighter/less durable. It's not significant enough to sway a buying decision though.

Yep, it'll work although it will be slightly heavier. Do be careful, you will need to follow the mounting-unmounting procedure (mount prism first, then lens, unmount lens first, then prism) or you may break the meter chain which will devalue the body.

To get 35mm equivalents on 67, divide the focal length by 2. The aspect ratio is a little different than 35mm so it's not quite a direct conversion, but that's the best rule to use in my experience. 55mm on 6x7 is equivalent to 28mm on 35mm, where the 45mm is closer to a 23mm. The 55mm isn't really as wide as a 25mm, the extra few mm matter a lot at the wide end.

I like the 105 and the 55 as a kit, or if you're only getting one lens to start with you may want to split the difference and get a 75mm (35mm equivalent). The 90mm is nice too, just a little wider and slower and has a little wider DoF due to the shorter focal length (relative to the 105mm). It's also a little bit of a redundant focal length if you have the 75mm and 105mm, which are both really popular, the 105mm gives you a little more spacing.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 10, 2014

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Untitled by juliancallan, on Flickr

Multiple exposure on my Bronica SQ-A with Provia 100F

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Untitled by juliancallan, on Flickr

Multiple exposure on my Bronica SQ-A with Provia 100F

Good candidate for this month's contest. :catdrugs:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I finally bought a scanner and I've been scanning and processing photos from the last two months. I've never had to process photos before, so please, if my photos are strangely colored, let me know.

Muir Woods by spikemccue, on Flickr

AK by spikemccue, on Flickr

Mount Desert Island, ME by spikemccue, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Owns owns owns

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Thats killer.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Used up almost all of my Astia rolls (but 1) in Hong Kong, and this was the first shot there.

HKIA, Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong by alkanphel, on Flickr

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Could you, if it's not to much trouble, post your post workflow? I have a friend who's invested in a C330 and a v700 and he's lamenting his inability to get tonality like this. I develop his negs for him and his density is dead on, but I'm not really up on scanning and digitizing.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Spedman posted:

Thats killer.

Thanks!

XTimmy posted:

Could you, if it's not to much trouble, post your post workflow? I have a friend who's invested in a C330 and a v700 and he's lamenting his inability to get tonality like this. I develop his negs for him and his density is dead on, but I'm not really up on scanning and digitizing.

Uhh, to be honest, I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing. I was referred to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qeZOWqchM when I asked around in the dorkroom IRC that shall not be talked about, and I basically followed those instructions. I also used a mask to darken the exposure on the figure in the light (aka my mom) to make it/her stand out more.

But yeah, otherwise, I'm a loving noob and I have no idea what I'm doing. Sorry I can't be more help.

Edit: to be more specific, I scanned it as positive film, 48 bit color, 1200 dpi. I inverted it in photoshop and then used levels and curves adjustments. Used a v600 scanner.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 11, 2014

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

You could probably pull back some of the color in the highlights if you wanted with that Mount Desert Island one. Dpends on what you want the look to be though.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I've decided on the GA645 for a medium format point and shoot, auto film winding, can also stop mid roll, and most importantly it has P mode for professional :haw:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pfft, if you aren't lugging a lightmeter around in your already-too heavy camera bag, you ain't playing the MF game properly.

Seriously though, that's a GORGEOUS camera.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Spedman posted:

I've decided on the GA645 for a medium format point and shoot, auto film winding, can also stop mid roll, and most importantly it has P mode for professional :haw:

Might as well go whole hog and get a GA645zi.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Fa Yuen Street Market, Hong Kong by alkanphel, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

MrBlandAverage posted:

Might as well go whole hog and get a GA645zi.

I did have a look at them, but I don't shoot with zooms, and the 60mm on the non-zi is exactly the focal length I like to shoot at. And I'm not a fan of the champagne colour they typically are sold with (solid reason I know).

But I'll probably change my mind back and forth again until I get the Bessa sold to get the money to pay for it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I am poo poo at coloring and editing photos, godammit.

Dad in Mt Desert by spikemccue, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

I am poo poo at coloring and editing photos, godammit.

Dad in Mt Desert by spikemccue, on Flickr

so good...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Spedman posted:

I really like my GS645, I really don't think you'll go too far wrong. If you want a 6x4.5 P+S I'm sure Fuji will deliver in spades.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I am teetering perilously close to buying into the Pentax 6x7 system.

I really want a 67ii. KEH has one, but it's got a Polaroid back and I can't find a normal film back to replace it with.

There's one on [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-67II-Medium-Format-SLR-Film-AE-Camera-Body-only-/251561717523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a923f2f13]ebay]/url] for $850 which includes the AE prism. Considering that the AE prism on KEH is ~$400, that would make the body $450 which seems kind of a steal for a 67ii. I like the idea of the 67ii with the AE prism for shooting AP.

Anybody tracking KEH know what their ballpark for a non Polaroid back 67ii is (when they have them in stock)? Does this ebay auction look good? Should I just stop being a jerk and buy a 67 (original) from KEH and call it a day?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

There aren't really any "backs" that exist, the polaroid "back" is a total replacement that requires peeling leatherette/unscrewing a door so I wouldn't really put a lot of weight on finding a standard back.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ZippySLC posted:

I am teetering perilously close to buying into the Pentax 6x7 system.

I really want a 67ii. KEH has one, but it's got a Polaroid back and I can't find a normal film back to replace it with.

There's one on [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-67II-Medium-Format-SLR-Film-AE-Camera-Body-only-/251561717523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a923f2f13]ebay]/url] for $850 which includes the AE prism. Considering that the AE prism on KEH is ~$400, that would make the body $450 which seems kind of a steal for a 67ii. I like the idea of the 67ii with the AE prism for shooting AP.

Anybody tracking KEH know what their ballpark for a non Polaroid back 67ii is (when they have them in stock)? Does this ebay auction look good? Should I just stop being a jerk and buy a 67 (original) from KEH and call it a day?

I think it's $900-ish from KEH but I couldn't say for sure. From what I remember of KEH's pricing, the Polaroid back ones usually go for a bit less than the real deal, presumably because the Polaroid backs kinda suck. It's $0.85 per shot for FP-100c, 6x7 doesn't fill the entire 3x4" image area, the fiber-optic blocks blur the image and are very susceptible to scratches. From what I know they are just a complete door replacement, you take the hinge pin out and swap on a new door. Among other things this means that you can't switch mid-roll and it's difficult to use them as "proofs" because you need two completely separate lenses/etc and that's an opportunity to mess up focus/settings/composition/etc.

The one for $850 looks like a pretty good deal, the price seems to have spiked a bit lately and that's a reasonable price even pre-spike.

However, the value proposition on the 67ii is questionable. If you have the money to blow, they're nicer than the 67, sure, but not $600-700 nicer. Basically you get aperture-priority, the ability to change screens yourself (67 can be changed, you just need to send it to Eric Hendrickson), and better mirror damping (not that it's really a problem on the 67). The 67 is fine for most use-cases.

Would you really rather have a super-nice body rather than a nice body and a lot of super-nice glass? $700 is any three of most of the lenses (either 55/4, 90/2.8, 105/2.4, 75/4.5, 150, either 165mm, 200mm, etc), or your pick of the rare lenses (75/2.8 AL, zoom lenses, 100 macro with life-size converter, etc), or a good chunk of the cost of the 300mm or 400mm EDIFs (which are great adapted to digital or 35mm as well). Or a bunch of film and processing (6x7 slides :unsmigghh:), or another full medium/large-format setup. There's a lot of things $700 can buy you other than automatic shutter-speed control. I know I'd rather turn the knob myself and have kick-rear end lenses, or spend the money on slide film and processing, etc.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 17, 2014

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
It looks like I can get into a BGN 67 and TTL meter for $334 at KEH. Maybe I'll just do that.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

so good...

Thanks! Here's another one from the same trip that I'm also struggling with:

Parents by spikemccue, on Flickr

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Would i be mad buying a Fuji GX680 with a 100mm lens as my first medium format camera? They seem like insane studio cameras, but one's popped up at a price that I would probably be able to accept. Would you even take on outside? Are they utterly painful to use?

Edit: There seems to be a bit of a blip in the MF format around here, everything's being asked for a bit more than i'm used to seeing on the classified. Should I hold out for a pentax 67 that is of a reasonable price? What about RB/RZ setups?

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 18, 2014

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I don't think there's a wrong choice for a first camera, but I think with a GX680, you're more than likely going to learn that you should have gone with something smaller or that large format photography is right up your alley.

That aside, it really comes down to what kind of photography you're going to be shooting. You really can't go wrong with a Pentax 67, they seem pretty well suited for everything, whereas if it's mostly landscapes with narrow depths of field, a rangefinder may be a lighter and more convenient option. I'm an advocate for trying everything so long as you buy it for cheaper than you know you can sell it.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 18, 2014

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The GX680 is a bit of a monster for a first MF camera.

Are you aiming for just studio work? Are you happy to leave it just on the tripod or do you want to also walk around with it?

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;

Awkward Davies posted:

Thanks! Here's another one from the same trip that I'm also struggling with:

Parents by spikemccue, on Flickr

This is amazing. What a great composition and execution. What are you struggling with exactly, these look all spot on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
I ended up getting, of all things, a Pentax 6x7 (vs the 67 or 67II that I was talking about above.) The reason being that KEH had one fitted with a Beatte Intenscreen, and I get very annoyed with cameras that have dim finders.

I got the camera, TTL finder, 55 F/4, wood grip :woop:, manual, and front and top caps for just under $600. (All of this is BGN grade.)

I will probably have to go to ebay to find the 105 f/2.4 since the one KEH has is expensive.

• Locked thread