Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Marvel Adventures ruled, I wouldn't have minded if it had replaced the main line. I think Marvel Adventures Avengers was the strongest of the books, tho. Giant Girl was a great addition to the team and a lot more likeable and interesting than the Wasp ever was, and every character had great dynamics, especially Wolverine and Hulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know they have ones loosely based on the cartoons now, but I've never read them because I don't much care for the cartoons. Are they just based on them in name only or are they like the old Adventures line?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Giant-Girl and Ant-Man from Marvel Adventures: Avengers were really charming, I wish they were the mainline versions of the characters.

I quite liked Chat, and Emma as Silencer was pretty cool.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Deadpool posted:

But enough about Spider-Man. To keep on topic with this thread I just caught up on the latest Punisher book. I'm digging it so far, anybody else have any thoughts on it?
I am reading it, but I'm waaaaaaay behind. I did enjoy the first couple, though. Between it and Black Widow, Edmonson is a pretty decent, if not spectacular, writer. The art on both books is great too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah like 50% of what makes Chapter One so insulting is knowing that Byrne thought he was Officially and Permanently rewriting the character's early history, aka some of the best comics of all time. It's pretty lovely on its own, but knowing the sheer hubris of the writer makes it Super lovely. It's kinda lost some of its venom now that it's a forgotten failed experiment.

I was never too fond of the totem stuff but some very good stories came out of it, just like the Clone Saga, so it's more of a mixed bag for me than a "gently caress this bullshit". I'll take a premise I dislike written well over a premise I love written poorly, which describes Dan Slott's entire run.

The really hosed up part is him going out of his way to slam Ultimate Spider-Man years later. He claimed they were the same thing, and that it was unfair people liked it and not his. He also claimed that hardcores weren't the target audience so their opinion of the book did not matter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He started slamming USM within 3 months of it's release. One of his favorite things to point out is that despite USM being a critical darling, Chapter One outsold it massively. And if you point out that you can buy a complete set of Chapter One for $3 and USM #1 runs $200+ he bans you from his forum.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

I know they have ones loosely based on the cartoons now, but I've never read them because I don't much care for the cartoons. Are they just based on them in name only or are they like the old Adventures line?

I don't really know what you mean by "in name only". You mean are they like the cartoons? It's hard to describe. I picked up one of the Avengers: EMH comics back when that show was on the air and it was kind of... mediocre. I honestly can't imagine the new comics based on the new cartoons being much better (being that they're all written by the same guy, Joe Caramagna). I think part of it could be the comic being hamstringed by being a tie-in to a show. Can't introduce a character to the Avengers comic if you don't have a reference for how the show is going to depict them yet, that kind of thing.

So short answer to "are they like the old Adventures line?", no. Adventures was much better because it wasn't constrained to mimic a cartoon.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

In other news, Dennis Hopeless continues to poo poo on the Runaways. Because apparently killing off characters and ruining the survivors wasn't enough for him.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
gently caress Hopeless and gently caress Marvel for letting him poo poo on established characters from writers with more talent in a fingertip than Hopeless has in his entire body.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I wonder if Hopeless doesn't have some sort of Jekyll/Hyde writing problem because I remember really liking Cable & X-Force but then I see poo poo like this and I think "Can this really be the same guy?"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 10, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It honestly feels vindictive. He's still pissed people didn't buy the last series and suck his dick for the tired "maybe it's you the audience who is the real bad guy" Funny Games bullshit.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Actually, it could be that some people actually like his books for some reason and he isn't writing them to get back at us since we didn't.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

Actually, it could be that some people actually like his books for some reason and he isn't writing them to get back at us since we didn't.

One problem with that theory nobody liked Arena and nobody bought Arena.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

One problem with that theory nobody liked Arena and nobody bought Arena.

You can be hyperbolic if you want but I personally know people who loved it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The unprecedented crime of having a character last seen swearing to escape from a dimension escape from a dimension.

I'm not a Hopeless fan at all but getting riled up about this, in particular, is a stretch. BKV left a very convenient loophole open for a future writer to bring Alex back. It's been seven years, he was going to pop back out of that white chamber eventually.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 10, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

It's not really hyperbolic. It had abysmal sales. You might have known people who loved it, but they were clearly a minority.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That's sort of a weird one to debate, since comics are pretty niche and sales are kinda hard to judge against how many people would actually buy the book. There's a ton of runaways fans, or at least enough vocal people to make it seem like it, but the threads on /co/ made it mostly sound like none of them actually buy comics anymore. So all you can really judge by is the fact the book bled thousands of readers issue after issue until it fell into the cancel range, and got canceled. We can pretend it didn't, but I'm pretty sure in early interviews they implied it would go far longer than it did.

And I do kinda get a self-congratulating tone of "the book was great you're the dumb" from Undercover when it talks about events in Arena, but honestly it is kinda hard to remember what is even happening in Undercover. The book is so boring. Arena was terrible, but Undercover is just very average in spite of how it tries to be a very serious book. Satire has to feel punchy and being grimdark doesn't cut it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Codependent Poster posted:

It's not really hyperbolic. It had abysmal sales. You might have known people who loved it, but they were clearly a minority.

And? Let's not kid ourselves, there are load of series here which a bunch of us love and which had abysmal sales, does that mean those books were awful and hated too?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Runaways drew in a lot of non-regular comic buyers who, like sane people would, got frustrated with comic shops and stopped buying monthlies. There's a vocal outcry but it never shows up in the numbers because the loudest just don't buy comics.

I'm not a big fan of Runaways actually, Arena was just such a blatant failed artistic statement with poo poo writing and Hopeless attempt at martyrdom afterwards is as annoying as it always is. "The audience only wants violence and death! *movie/show/book project fails* How dare the audience not conform to my ideas about the failings of society, they're all against me!"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Exactly, much like the tiny minority of dummies that care/cared about poor-selling pieces of poo poo like Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Scarlet Spider, Young Avengers, Secret Avengers, Avengers Academy, Sentinel, Runaways, etc. This is why Spawn is still probably the best comic book of the past thirty years.

I do enjoy the idea that Dennis Hopeless is sitting around reading BSS going "I'll show you guys, I'm going to write AN EVEN SHITTIER COMIC, THAT WILL SHOW PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET! I MIGHT JUST LITERALLY poo poo ON THE PAGE AND SEND THAT IN NEXT MONTH, THAT WILL SHOW THEM ALL!"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Senor Candle posted:

People loved the clone saga, what's your point?

There is at least one person who loves everything that exist, doesn't make it suck any less.

(I am the guy who likes the clone saga, but it sucks nonetheless)

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I know lots of people who liked Arena just fine.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Exactly, much like the tiny minority of dummies that care/cared about poor-selling pieces of poo poo like Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Scarlet Spider, Young Avengers, Secret Avengers, Avengers Academy, Sentinel, Runaways, etc. This is why Spawn is still probably the best comic book of the past thirty years.

It's funny that you included books like Young Avengers and Captain Marvel on this list when yeah, there were a lot of people who thought those were terrible too. Even people on this very board.

So let's not just limit it to sales, but general reactions and reviews and the majority of opinions that say the book sucked too.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It's funny that you included books like Young Avengers and Captain Marvel on this list when yeah, there were a lot of people who thought those were terrible too. Even people on this very board.

So let's not just limit it to sales, but general reactions and reviews and the majority of opinions that say the book sucked too.
The general response to the Gillen/McKelvie/Norton Young Avengers was positive. I wasn't talking about Heinberg's first volume or Children's Crusade, because those books sold really well, so they're obviously better than anything else you can name.

A lot of people on here seem to believe that Dennis Hopeless is personally and deliberately making GBS threads on them by personally and deliberately taking their favorite characters and personally and deliberately making a lovely comic with them in it. This is amusing and insane. I don't even like Avengers Arena that much, though I do like Kev Walker's art. That puts it into a category of books like Hawkeye and Nextwave in having pretty nice art and some dumb out of character stuff on the writing side, but fewer loud angry internet fans ride or die for Roger Stern's Avengers compared to Runaways or whatever, so no one cares.

But considering the "general reactions and reviews" on this site and really Team Comics Internet in general, sales are probably the last thing anyone should bring to a quality argument. Also people enjoy being outraged on behalf of marginal characters they love. Pretty sure if someone wants to do a good Runaways book or hell I don't know, are there still actually Darkhawk fans? I bet you can revamp Darkhawk in five years regardless of whatever Dennis Hopeless wrote to deliberately ruin your day because he has a blood vendetta against you and he just gets so loving mad people don't think he's a genius and he's going to get you, get you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I never read Avengers Arena or Undercover but I liked his Cable and X-Force series and was sad when it was canned and replaced with the one we have now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

People loved the clone saga, what's your point?

There is at least one person who loves everything that exist, doesn't make it suck any less.

(I am the guy who likes the clone saga, but it sucks nonetheless)

Lets not forget their is someone on this very site who buys two copies of Red Hood and the Outlaws and also buys anything with Jason Todd.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Edge & Christian posted:

or Children's Crusade, because those books sold really well, so they're obviously better than anything else you can name.
This just makes me feel like the key to making Arena successful would be to make it some big line wide, takes two years to finish crossover extravaganza that will set the Marvel world on fire with its incredible retcons and totally in character writing!

Man that would have been great. But yeah, the argument goes all weird. I still kinda feel like rate of decline is a reasonable number to point to the success of a book.

Deadpool posted:

I never read Avengers Arena or Undercover but I liked his Cable and X-Force series and was sad when it was canned and replaced with the one we have now.
Yeah, I wish Undercover had been more in the spirit of that. Just forget about Arena and do a silly book not about how edgy talking about PTSD and murdering Arcade is.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Spiderdrake posted:

I still kinda feel like rate of decline is a reasonable number to point to the success of a book.
It definitely points to financial success, but that is distinct from critical success. I guess the good news is that a book with neither will get cancelled and the creator won't work much at the big 2.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Edge & Christian posted:

I do enjoy the idea that Dennis Hopeless is sitting around reading BSS going "I'll show you guys, I'm going to write AN EVEN SHITTIER COMIC, THAT WILL SHOW PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET! I MIGHT JUST LITERALLY poo poo ON THE PAGE AND SEND THAT IN NEXT MONTH, THAT WILL SHOW THEM ALL!"

Oh yeah that's defiantly it. He's reading this very site because we are so important. His response is in fact directed only at me and not the craploads of other people giving him poo poo for Arena and Undercover on the internet.

Nobody ever responds to the internet, it's doesn't have some vast influence on anything, just a bunch of nerds on message boards like it was in the 90's forever and ever.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SirDan3k posted:

Oh yeah that's defiantly it. He's reading this very site because we are so important. His response is in fact directed only at me and not the craploads of other people giving him poo poo for Arena and Undercover on the internet.

Nobody ever responds to the internet, it's doesn't have some vast influence on anything, just a bunch of nerds on message boards like it was in the 90's forever and ever.

Well, John Byrne does....but gently caress that guy.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Why doesn't Tony hook Cap up with a War Machine suit? Wouldn't Captain America be like the best drat Iron Man, shooting tactical smoke grenades and flash bangs all over the place and up in the air orchestrating the battle? I get why they probably would never do this in the main universe, but they should have at least done it in Ultimates for a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Why doesn't Tony hook Cap up with a War Machine suit? Wouldn't Captain America be like the best drat Iron Man, shooting tactical smoke grenades and flash bangs all over the place and up in the air orchestrating the battle? I get why they probably would never do this in the main universe, but they should have at least done it in Ultimates for a while.

What a great idea!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

SirDan3k posted:

Oh yeah that's defiantly it. He's reading this very site because we are so important. His response is in fact directed only at me and not the craploads of other people giving him poo poo for Arena and Undercover on the internet. Nobody ever responds to the internet, it's doesn't have some vast influence on anything, just a bunch of nerds on message boards like it was in the 90's forever and ever.
I don't pay a lot of attention to message boards besides this one, but the sphere of Internet blogs/Twitter/etc. that I do pay attention to was pretty silent/apathetic about Avengers Arena. It's really only here that I see people flip out about how loving terrible Dennis Hopeless is. I mean, if people have been bombarding his Twitter and e-mails with 'fuk u :("s then maybe he's responding to those people. I know Dan Slott is a petulant child who searches for his own name and has passive aggressively responded on my blog and on Twitter, but even then I don't pretend that anything he wrote in his book was in response to me/the Internet at large. I guess it's possible that Avengers Undercover is a massive burn where he doesn't care about telling a story or pleasing his editor or getting a paycheck or doing anything but just STICKING THE GODDAMN loving KNIFE INTO THOSE INTERNET MOTHERFUCKERS WHO CARE ABOUT GAY OL' RUNAWAYS. Or maybe you don't think that? I got sarcasm whiplash.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Rhyno posted:

What a great idea!

Welp, that looks terrible. It's amusing to me that whoever designed that must have considered making the costume look like Iron Patriot's amazing design, which is essentially just Iron Man in Red Silver and Blue, and went "nah I think I'm going to do better than that, I have this SuperPro homage I want to do ..". Maybe it's more in character for Steve Rogers to have the worst looking Iron Man armor.

So, what ends up happening? What's the rationale for him not just suiting up from then on out? I tried googling but this ends up retrieving pages of blogs reporting the same Iron Patriot movie news from a year ago

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think it was because he was paralyzed or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The serum was breaking down in his system and he was losing the use of his body slowly.

First he used this weird suit thing

He put on the other suit when his body started failing. Then when he was at death's door the Red Skull had him kidnapped and gave him a complete blood transfusion (the Skull was living in a cloned body of Steve Rogers).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Because that worked well for him when he did it with Spider-Man. I don't think Iron Man gets along that great with people lacking a certain amount of moral flexibility, in terms of funding an incredibly expensive battle suit that likely requires constant maintenence and I doubt Cap would trust the same.

Also consider two issues ago Avengers featured Cap punching Tony Stark in the face.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Rhyno posted:

First he used this weird suit thing

Are that pouches in front of his chest painted with the sides of the star?

Also why would the Red Skull give him a blood transfusion?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Schneider Heim posted:

Are that pouches in front of his chest painted with the sides of the star?

Also why would the Red Skull give him a blood transfusion?

The Skull needed him for his plan to regain the Cosmic Cube. Hitler's "soul" was inhabiting the cube and the Skull needed Cap to kill him so he could use the Cube's full powers. It's Mark Waid's first Captain America story and it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Edge & Christian posted:

I guess it's possible that Avengers Undercover is a massive burn where he doesn't care about telling a story or pleasing his editor or getting a paycheck or doing anything but just STICKING THE GODDAMN loving KNIFE INTO THOSE INTERNET MOTHERFUCKERS WHO CARE ABOUT GAY OL' RUNAWAYS.

Maybe just maybe he can do all of that at the same time like some kind of fully realized human being with multiple motivations to their thoughts, feeling, and actions.

Or he's just a complicated script writing program with the dial set to poo poo.

• Locked thread