Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Aurain posted:

It makes a lot of sense if you look at the bigger picture. They're spending a lot of money on making PS4/Bone games in XV and KH3, so they want to help increase the install base for those consoles as much as they can. They can do that by helping make them a more attractive purchase, and while Type-0 isn't a system seller for those consoles (It may have been for Vita), it's going to interest people when they're looking at what games are worth buying for the consoles out of upcoming and current releases. Companies won't want to support the old consoles forever, and they're doing that by making games that realistically would work fine on them not available for them.

Then again, if the screenshot here at the end of this video is any indication, they actually are putting in the extra effort to make it more than just an HD upscale port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQice_T4Nio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Krad posted:

Then again, if the screenshot here at the end of this video is any indication, they actually are putting in the extra effort to make it more than just an HD upscale port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQice_T4Nio

Yeah, assuming that isn't some bullshit mockup, that looks goddamned amazing compared to the PSP version.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
On the SE livestream, they just announced that gay marriage is coming to FFXIV: ARR.

Oh, and inter-species marriage is in as well for good measure. What am I supposed to tell my kids when they see a Lalafell kissing a Roegadyn in public?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Seems a stupid decision to call it Final Fantasy Type-0 HD in the west. Giving a game a HD subtitle screams "this is an old game with updated graphics", and some people just think to themselves that "it mustn't be any good since they would have purchased it when it was released before, right?" Giving it the HD title will lower sales since people won't understand it's a FF game that's never before been released in English (and therefore for all intents and purposes a brand new game). Just call it Final Fantasy Type-0 and it would be perceived as a brand new game in the FF series, with HD in the title it's no longer a new game, it's an old game that mustn't have been very good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Shakugan posted:

Seems a stupid decision to call it Final Fantasy Type-0 HD in the west. Giving a game a HD subtitle screams "this is an old game with updated graphics", and some people just think to themselves that "it mustn't be any good since they would have purchased it when it was released before, right?" Giving it the HD title will lower sales since people won't understand it's a FF game that's never before been released in English (and therefore for all intents and purposes a brand new game). Just call it Final Fantasy Type-0 and it would be perceived as a brand new game in the FF series, with HD in the title it's no longer a new game, it's an old game that mustn't have been very good.

I've never thought that or even heard of anyone thinking that. That must be why all these HD collections of old games don't sell well at al-waaait a minute! That's not true at all!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I've never thought that or even heard of anyone thinking that. That must be why all these HD collections of old games don't sell well at al-waaait a minute! That's not true at all!

HD collections of old games that people have played/owned before and were attached to. Completely different to this situation.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Shakugan posted:

I don't think that's true. I think people who buy Final Fantasy fall into one or both of two categories: people who buy anything named Final Fantasy because it's a safe buy, and people who really care about Final Fantasy. The former will buy it anyway, and the latter know its nature.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Shakugan posted:

HD collections of old games that people have played/owned before and were attached to. Completely different to this situation.

Do you have any data that supports your claim at all?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Aurain posted:

e2: Ninja/Rogue are DPS classes. It's not clear if Rogue leads to Ninja.

It does, actually. Rogue is a Class, Ninja is a Job. They had a whole discussion along with the reveal.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Sunning posted:

On the SE livestream, they just announced that gay marriage is coming to FFXIV: ARR.

Oh, and inter-species marriage is in as well for good measure. What am I supposed to tell my kids when they see a Lalafell kissing a Roegadyn in public?

What kind of parent doesn't look forward to explaining to their kids the sanctity of bromance? :colbert:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

It does, actually. Rogue is a Class, Ninja is a Job. They had a whole discussion along with the reveal.

Did they say what the secondary job requirement would be?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Man, I just can't stop and be amazed how hosed up 13 did with their l'cie poo poo when I see entire armies retreat in Type-0 just because two of them fight each other. I don't think I ever got the motion that being a l'cie means you're a walking nuclear bomb.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Dross posted:

Did they say what the secondary job requirement would be?

No, but it will probably be Pugilist. I don't think the ninjutsu will actually be "magic" so stuff like Swiftcast won't matter.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dross posted:

I don't think that's true. I think people who buy Final Fantasy fall into one or both of two categories: people who buy anything named Final Fantasy because it's a safe buy, and people who really care about Final Fantasy. The former will buy it anyway, and the latter know its nature.

Case in point: XIII. It sucked monkey balls, yet did splendidly well.

Tae posted:

Man, I just can't stop and be amazed how hosed up 13 did with their l'cie poo poo when I see entire armies retreat in Type-0 just because two of them fight each other. I don't think I ever got the motion that being a l'cie means you're a walking nuclear bomb.

But you kinda fight one off in the beginning with your level 8-9 characters. Those armies must suck a lot. :confused:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Krad posted:

But you kinda fight one off in the beginning with your level 8-9 characters. Those armies must suck a lot. :confused:

Stopped its advance, but she's basically immortal with teleportation poo poo. I'm talking about the 2nd enemy L'cie that's basically a bomb.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Tae posted:

Stopped its advance, but she's basically immortal with teleportation poo poo. I'm talking about the 2nd enemy L'cie that's basically a bomb.

Oh, that's awesome. I should keep playing.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hm. I want to track down Type-0 but I also think I should wait for the HD release. Is it worth getting right now?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Hm. I want to track down Type-0 but I also think I should wait for the HD release. Is it worth getting right now?

Assuming that the HD version fixes the claw control scheme of Type-0 I'd probably wait.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Unlucky7 posted:

Eh, it'll probably be at least a full year until we get the HD version, if not more. If you can find it for cheap, sure, why not.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

Assuming that the HD version fixes the claw control scheme of Type-0 I'd probably wait.

Is it the Monster Hunter claw, where the camera is controlled by the D Pad? Or camera and aiming handled by the face buttons? I could handle the later.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it the Monster Hunter claw, where the camera is controlled by the D Pad? Or camera and aiming handled by the face buttons? I could handle the later.

It's the Monster Hunter claw.

I'd imagine the HD version will also end up getting extra missions and stuff since Square is usually good about doing that stuff for their game updates.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Having played Type-0 for about 6 hours now and after taking someone's advice in this thread, I don't think the claw thing is that big a deal. In battles you can use the right trigger to centre the camera behind your character and that's pretty much good enough, you don't need to control the camera freely really. It would be nicer having two analog sticks but you'd still have the not enough hands/fingers problem, just in a different way

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean if you played Dynasty Warriors before, it's the same camera thing. Just use R1 to reset the camera.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Krad posted:

Eh, it'll probably be at least a full year until we get the HD version, if not more.

Considering I'd given up hope of it ever getting a release outside of Japan, waiting another year or so isn't going to kill me at this point.

Shame that's it not a port to the Vita, but at this point, I'm just happy we're getting it at all.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Play the game on PPSSPP if you're worried about "the claw" and remap the dpad to the right thumbstick. It looks better, runs better and plays better.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I've been having a problem with it in PPSSPP where the performance degrades over time. Like when I first start it up everything is smooth and great but twenty minutes later it's a slideshow even though the emulator's fps counter still says it's running at full speed. If I save state, restart the emulator, and then load that state everything is smooth again so it's not like there's anything in the scene that's dragging it down. Is there some setting that fixes this?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

straight jerkers posted:

I've been having a problem with it in PPSSPP where the performance degrades over time. Like when I first start it up everything is smooth and great but twenty minutes later it's a slideshow even though the emulator's fps counter still says it's running at full speed. If I save state, restart the emulator, and then load that state everything is smooth again so it's not like there's anything in the scene that's dragging it down. Is there some setting that fixes this?

What build are you using?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If you guys haven't done it already, check out the beginner's guide: http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5352

Most notably this is a game changer that turned Tactics Ogre from unplayable to smooth:

quote:

Change CPU Clock

Here is the great secret of super speed. With this option you can control the clock virtual processor (like the processor virtual PSP, PPSSPPP is a virtual PSP), and determine the load it will make on the system. Well, it sounds crazy, but while the lower clock, the faster the emulation speed (%) and the lowest FPS (speed virtual PSP). But the loss of FPS is not so, and gain speed (%) compensates for the loss of FPS, there are cases that you do not lose anything. But this is because reducing the internal clock, the processor will have as much "load" and may have more power left to increase speed (%). It is complicated to understand, but if you philosophize a bit, you can understand. You can increase and decrease buttons "+" and "-".

Very recommended. You will gain much speed. Recommend use at 60 in Android, and at 222 in PC.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Verranicus posted:

What build are you using?

v0.9.8-1088-ga31194a, newest one from here http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/
e: 32bit. Should I use the 64bit one? I think I've had problems with 64bit emulators in the past.

Tae posted:

If you guys haven't done it already, check out the beginner's guide: http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5352

Most notably this is a game changer that turned Tactics Ogre from unplayable to smooth:

OK that's hard to understand. So what do you recommend? 222?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Ugh, word of warning to anyone still starting out on FFX HD like me: if you do the backtrack thing from Macalania to Besaid to get the Jecht Spheres without having to fight Dark Aeons, even if you use First Strike -> Flee, the round trip takes about two and a half loving hours. This game's encounter rate is obnoxious.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

straight jerkers posted:

v0.9.8-1088-ga31194a, newest one from here http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/
e: 32bit. Should I use the 64bit one? I think I've had problems with 64bit emulators in the past.

I'm using the 64bit version and having to issues.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

straight jerkers posted:

222 if you're on PC. Whatever it did, it makes games playable and smooth. Before I did this, Tactics Ogre had this really nasty slowdown whenever there's remotely any weather.

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

straight jerkers posted:

Texture scaling was giving me a lot of issues, try turning that off completely if you've got it on.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Tae posted:

I'm not very far into Type-0 yet, but so far the whole Fabula Nova Crystallis stuff is way more engrossing in it than it was in any of the XIII games. L'Cie and Eidolons, and the world building in general, are way more interesting so far.

I genuinely don't remember if this was the case in XIII, but I guess if you die in Type-0 your existence is sort of wiped from everyone's memory. Is that about right? So if no one finds your memory codex it's like you never existed?

That's super hosed up.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Welp, the ps4 is slowly winning me over. MGS, Final Fantasies, backwards compatibility through streaming. Black box looks cooler and by the time I get one a slim will probably be out.

On the other hand type 0 is pretty cool. Loving the designs, especially for the weird tiger armour woman. Endolions actually feel useful/powerful. Queen is my jam (though she gets knocked down easily). Claw mode has not been a problem but, having a wee bit of trouble keeping my peeps alive for now but, I'm sure I'll learn!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BloodWulfe posted:

I'm not very far into Type-0 yet, but so far the whole Fabula Nova Crystallis stuff is way more engrossing in it than it was in any of the XIII games. L'Cie and Eidolons, and the world building in general, are way more interesting so far.

I genuinely don't remember if this was the case in XIII, but I guess if you die in Type-0 your existence is sort of wiped from everyone's memory. Is that about right? So if no one finds your memory codex it's like you never existed?

That's super hosed up.

If it was the case in XIII, then we wouldn't had got Hope's terrible plot about avenging his mom.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

BloodWulfe posted:

but I guess if you die in Type-0 your existence is sort of wiped from everyone's memory. Is that about right? So if no one finds your memory codex it's like you never existed?

That's super hosed up.

It's just like the Wing Commander movie! :haw:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

For whatever reason I still can't get the game running on an original PSP without the opening cinematic stuttering to hell. I have it set on Inferno and I have CFW 6.60 PRO-C2 so I don't know what the deal is :(

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finally got around to beating VII along with the WEAPONS (Emerald was extremely annoying). I just can't help but think how much better the story would be in my head if they just ended VII with that last Red XIII cutscene over Midgar. Great game overall, though, it was really nice to play an upbeat Cloud after he unfucked his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Skeezy posted:

For whatever reason I still can't get the game running on an original PSP without the opening cinematic stuttering to hell. I have it set on Inferno and I have CFW 6.60 PRO-C2 so I don't know what the deal is :(

It's running great on my PSP 1001 with 6.60, Inferno, and default CPU/BUS speeds. It did freeze when I tried to open the codex in the Crystarium, but I haven't tried to replicate that yet.

It might be an issue resulting from the patching process. Did you merge it into a single ISO? That's what I'm using, and it's smooth.