Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Snake not being back sucks, he had some of the most visceral moves next to Ike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
So that was cool. We got Pac Man and Game & Watch. Hopefully more surprises await before we get to that October release date.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Countblanc posted:

We don't know for sure, but it does seem likely.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
8:07 Michael "TYP" Cole: Q: online was broken in Brawl. How ensuring online experience will be good this time?
8:08 Neal Ronaghan: Last question btw
8:10 Neal Ronaghan: Sakurai believe he gave players too much choice in Brawl online. seems to have misunderstood intent of question.

loving idiot journalists don't know how to ask questions, gently caress.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Didn't Zero Suit Samus get Snake's Final Smash? It looked very similar to it.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Regardless of how he interpreted the question I don't see how anyone could think Brawl's online gives players too much choice.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Thanks Internet posted:

Licensing issues probably.

Also doesn't help the whole poo poo storm with David Hayter.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

DoctorWhat posted:

8:07 Michael "TYP" Cole: Q: online was broken in Brawl. How ensuring online experience will be good this time?
8:10 Neal Ronaghan: Sakurai believe he gave players too much choice in Brawl online. seems to have misunderstood intent of question.

Forget the question what is up with that response?

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
You know, I bet Sakurai made sure that you can pick a purple shirt and Waluigi hat for your Mii Fighters just to gently caress with us.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

GenericMartini posted:

Didn't Zero Suit Samus get Snake's Final Smash? It looked very similar to it.

Basically but it looks considerably more powerful. ZSS was pretty ridiculous at the tournament tonight.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I wonder if they'll be showing off anything else (more characters) over the next few days, or if they've blown their load already. I'm not disappointed, just greedy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

8:12 Neal Ronaghan: In new game, they are giving more solidified options. Its tough to keep all 4 players synced up. Sakurai says to try to get strongest WiFi connection possible.

8:13 Michael "TYP" Cole: With brawl the players could set up everything, with freedom. But we learned that some folks team up or play differently, making it difficult for all to enjoy. There is a reporting system. As far as technical connection issues, we're still working on it. They use async communication in Mario Kart and other games to improve this, but that doesn't work well for fighting games. So there is cascading failure, especially for four players. That is why they ask people to have the best communication system available (eg a LAN adapter)

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

DoctorWhat posted:

It would be a stupid question even if asked properly. Sakurai and his wife are the only two who made Brawl who are making 4, plus Namco has the best fighting game netcode in the industry PLUS Sakurai already proved he can make a working online mode with KI:U

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Regardless of how he interpreted the question I don't see how anyone could think Brawl's online gives players too much choice.

You get to choose how long you would like to beat on the sandbag before giving up!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

He talked about brawl's online shortcomings in the direct back then anyway, it's supposed to be way better now.

Countblanc posted:

Yep I hope they at least shove some of his moves into a newcomer or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Forget the question what is up with that response?

Being translated to and from Japanese? Comeon.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

any loving one of us in this thread would be more competent at this than Ronaghan or Cole, I mean it.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

THE loving MOON posted:

I wonder if they'll be showing off anything else (more characters) over the next few days, or if they've blown their load already. I'm not disappointed, just greedy.

Last year they showed three characters, we'll probably get a trailer for Pac-Man tomorrow and that'll be it.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Keep in mind the Project M scene is alive and well so it's not like characters getting cut is a big terrible event. You can play them, more balanced than ever, in PM. You can pretty much play as anybody you want actually!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

DoctorWhat posted:

any loving one of us in this thread would be more competent at this than Ronaghan or Cole, I mean it.

They're two guys watching the goddamn roundtable, not doing a loving interview by themselves.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Excels posted:

Keep in mind the Project M scene is alive and well so it's not like characters getting cut is a big terrible event. You can play them, more balanced than ever, in PM. You can pretty much play as anybody you want actually!

Nintendo fans are better at being Nintendo than Nintendo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Color Printer posted:

They're two guys watching the goddamn roundtable, not doing a loving interview by themselves.

Then we'd be better than whoever's asking the questions.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

quote:

Neal Ronaghan:
Zero Suit Samus won over Kirby. he predicted ZSS winning.

quote:

Michael "TYP" Cole:
Sakurai is heading back to Japan tomorrow. He works hard!

Try not to kill yourself Sakurai, please

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Countblanc posted:

I'm gonna miss Snake. :(

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Tier list already. This is the consensus according to the 16 contestants, and the commentators I guess.

quote:

Top tier
- Kirby
- Pit

High Tier
- Villager
- Zero Suit Samus
- Mario
- Wii Fit Trainer
Mid Tier
- Pikachu
- Sonic
- Fox
- Marth
- Greninja
Low Tier
- Bowser
- Zelda
Bottom Tier
- Little Mac (for FFA, TERRIBLE). Might be god-like on FD
- Bowser (DJN’s opinion)
???
- Olimar
- Rosalina
- Donkey Kong
- Link

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Was Snake confirmed to not return?:(

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Space T Rex posted:

Nintendo fans are better at being Nintendo than Nintendo.

Nintendo is actually one of the few companies I respect far more than its fanbase.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

DoctorWhat posted:

Then we'd be better than whoever's asking the questions.

"Why isn't Waluigi playable?!?!"

"Is Ridley still too big???"

"Why was Brawl such a piece of poo poo and why are you a poo poo human being?"

"What happens when Alfonzo joins the battle loololololol"

Excels posted:

Nintendo is actually one of the few companies I respect far more than its fanbase.

Why is this not the case for every company in existence?

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Was Snake confirmed to not return?:(

No, but there's a lot of reasons to believe he won't.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

So it seems Sal posted a third minor leak on Smashboards just prior to E3 reconfirming the six newcomers listed prior, referring to the Mii as Mii Fighter. He also said that his leaker knows of internal discussions to cut Lucas and sell DLC characters, which is loving garbage.

Interestingly enough, if you can believe that Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are cut, this is also lends credence to the only other possible leak that people still give a solid chance, a claim by a dude named RosalinaX that the roster will be 48 characters with 4 cuts from Brawl. If Chrom, Choir, Pac, and Shulk are in, as well as the 11 veterans not yet mentioned, that's 47 in total. So either Lucas is included in RosalinaX's 48, or one character still hasn't been leaked, or RX is full of poo poo.

In any case, expect Chrom, Chorus Men, etc. It's a done deal.

quoting this because it's accurate

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Color Printer posted:

While this is true, I do agree with Doctor What's basic sentiment that "gaming journalism" is embarrassingly bad as a general rule.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

F. Lobot posted:

Tier list already. This is the consensus according to the 16 contestants, and the commentators I guess.

I like how they didn't even bother to list Megaman. Poor guy can't catch a break.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Well I guess DLC characters are thing? I don't really have any strong opinions for or against that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GenericMartini posted:

Well I guess DLC characters are thing? I don't really have any strong opinions for or against that.

Where did you get that? No they probably aren't.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

F. Lobot posted:

Seriously, people? The game's not even out yet and you're figuring out the pro metagame strats?

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Famous TV Dad posted:

he has a point. didnt PSA have some competitive players help design it and it was dog poo poo.

They were all developers too though, only one of them wasn't and he was just the community manager. And competitive balance wise it was fine-ish. It became horribly broken when the new developers took over.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
People are complaining about Pac-Man being in Smash? I can't even...

It's loving Pac-Man. I'm not old enough to have been playing games when Pac-Man was a real cultural force, but I understand that there are few more iconic characters in the videogame pantheon. With Namco helping to develop the game, how was it even conceivable that Pac-Man wouldn't be a fighter? It would be crazy not to include him, no matter the reputation of Pac-Man games in modern times.

I don't care if it's dumb, I look forward to a four player match between Mario, Sonic, Megaman, and Pac-Man, just for nostalgia's sake.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

LanceKing2200 posted:

Reminder that, as a retro character Pac Man was a more recognizable name from the arcade days than Mario ever was, and as a modern character Pac Man has had more recent releases (Pac Man and the Ghostly adventures (2013), Pac Man Party (2010), and Pac Man Battle Royale (2011), among numerous Android and iOS rereleases) than Mega Man (last real game was Mega Man 10 (2010)).

Any argument about how Pac Man isn't "relevant" applies far more to Mega Man, Game & Watch, and numerous other characters. You don't have to like him, but saying that he's a bad choice or not relevant anymore is just ignorant.
Pac-Man has been the headlining protagonist of a video game more recently than Samus, Fox, Peach, Mega-Man, Marth, Ike, Mr. Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, Little Mac, and Zelda--and that's just among those smashers that have been protagonists at least once. I'm not like a huge Pac-Man fan or anything but with his status as an old school icon and given that Namco is developing the game, he was a pretty easy guess.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So how come Snake won't be coming back? :(

Probably because Kojima hasn't made a Nintendo game in years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Seriously, people? The game's not even out yet and you're figuring out the pro metagame strats?

They're already planning the balance romhack probably

(I think that Project:M thing is a very cool thing)

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 11, 2014

• Locked thread