Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Space Gopher posted:

Boeing did pretty well on the civilian market with its C-5 competitor.

So I hit Google and after I went "Oh yeah, that little known plane", I found this thing:

:stare:

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

FrozenVent posted:

So I hit Google and after I went "Oh yeah, that little known plane", I found this thing:

:stare:

Both of those are out in Pima now, one at the air and space museum, and one on the bus tour of the Davis-Monthan Boneyard. Though they are both in bare aluminum and without engines right now.

I love upper surface blowing jets. Just looks cool. Though this is the best.

AN-71 AEWR. USB jets, and a radome on top of the tail.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

benito posted:

Is there any plan for a commercial airliner version of something like the Airbus A400M?

Lockheed sold the L-100 (and might sell a L-100J based on the Super Herk), but that's less a "commercial airliner" and more "a civilianised Herk we sold to bush airlines, mining companies, and other crazy non-mil folks who need to get large bulky items in and out of short fields in remote areas."

Closest thing I can think of would be the Electra, but that was a civ design that was then modified to a military purpose. Captain Postal and hobbesmaster hit on the main reasons why a military trash hauler will never make that great of a true airliner, they're just designed for different purposes.

Space Gopher posted:

lol

Kind of proves the point though because the 747 as built had some pretty big design differences from the original CX-HLS competitor that optimized it for airline service.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 9, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Space Gopher posted:

Boeing's C-5 competitor never entered production. Pan Am however said "Hey boeing get rid of all that military crap and we'll buy a ton" and the result was the 747.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Slo-Tek posted:

I love upper surface blowing jets. Just looks cool.
Antonov agrees. :ussr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3TxeVffslQ

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Only plane I can think of that started life as a military cargo plane and had a (somewhat) successful civilian adaptation is the C-97 Stratofreighter/ the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser

And remember that the C-97 itself was adapted from the B-50, which was really just an up-engined B-29

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Slo-Tek posted:

Gonna give this a shot today http://www.slrcfa.com/wordpress/

Weather doesn't look like it is going to be fit, but I really want to see flying B-36 half the size of a 172. Pictures to be edited in if there are any.

a B-36 half the size of a 172 would fly on .10's and have unlimited vertical performance. :-)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Spanish Eurofighter crashed earlier today, pilot did not survive: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27768001

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

A happier Eurofighter story:
http://imgur.com/gallery/ewUqxSs

e: although Moron Base... what a name

simplefish fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 9, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's amazing what Spirit will pay parts when they're AoG

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

rscott posted:

Given what cancelling flights/chartering replacement aircraft costs, added to additional unplanned parking fees, it is rare for any price not to be accepted. My employer spent $120K on buying a single part, and a smaller but noticeable chunk of cash in getting it hand-couriered from the US to the UK, instead of waiting two more days for one from elsewhere for loan/repair cost only - and it was still worth it.

My previous employer outright purchased a Learjet 45 for flying around AOG parts/replacement crews/engineers a couple years back. Apparently they've bought/leased a second Learjet since then. It was easily worth it.

I've also seen the odd towing incident which ended up with a $1M+ parts bill. Apparently horizontal stabiliser ribs and spar sections are pretty drat expensive when there's only one available worldwide...

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Quote is not edit. Whoops.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

rscott posted:

It's amazing what Spirit every airline will pay parts when they're AoG

Airlines that balk at a $500 part during a heavy check will gladly pay $5000 for that same part later on if it means keeping their revenue flights up and on time. It's crazy.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
I remember being yelled at that I didn't get a log page in quick enough that resulted in an $24,000 charter to bring an EPR transmitter from MSP to STL.

And I did have the log in, they ignored it.

stan488
Mar 18, 2005

rscott posted:

I always wonder how much money changes hands when a part we need goes from 90 day lead time to showing up on the receiving shelf the next day, luckily lately we have spare engines and such to rob sub assemblies off of to get the plane flying again

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My favorite non-routine job card on quick turns was always R&Ring major airframe components and assemblies that were still airworthy, but leased from FinnAir.

Sure, we can do an engine inlet duct swap in forty-five minutes. No sweat. Inner trailing edge flap with no hoist or crane, and only two hours? Of course, no problem.

Idiots.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Every so often I am reminded that there's a crazy dude in Portland living in a 727 http://www.airplanehome.com/

Shine on crazy dude living in your aeroplane balanced on a pile of pallets and wood.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrYenko posted:

My favorite non-routine job card on quick turns was always R&Ring major airframe components and assemblies that were still airworthy, but leased from FinnAir.

Sure, we can do an engine inlet duct swap in forty-five minutes. No sweat. Inner trailing edge flap with no hoist or crane, and only two hours? Of course, no problem.

Idiots.

Glad to see planning departments are the same the world over.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Every so often I am reminded that there's a crazy dude in Portland living in a 727 http://www.airplanehome.com/

Shine on crazy dude living in your aeroplane balanced on a pile of pallets and wood.

quote:

"Humanity's current challenge is to devise efficient means and methods to economically site essentially complete retired jetliners as homes, making them much more commonly available. An elegantly executed project using an intact jetliner (except sans engines) is urgently needed to provide a compelling model which can be easily emulated. My dream is to accomplish this with the Airplane Home V2.0 project, ideally using a Boeing 747-400ER, hopefully starting in earnest within less than one year.

I also hope to execute this project on the shores of Kyushu, where it will serve not only as a private home, but also a crucial tsunami lifeboat for the local community. My hope is that many such home / lifeboat projects will follow in many tsunami risk areas in Nippon."

Skimming the giant wall of text which follows, he appears to be serious about this. 747 hulks will save glorious Nippon from future tsunamis because what could be a better lifeboat than an airliner, and he shall be so famous and desired that he'll be able to have his fantasy waifu dance for him on their wings. :catstare: Hope he's getting some mental health care, 'cause he's deep in some kind of delusional belief system.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

BobHoward posted:

Skimming the giant wall of text which follows, he appears to be serious about this. 747 hulks will save glorious Nippon from future tsunamis because what could be a better lifeboat than an airliner, and he shall be so famous and desired that he'll be able to have his fantasy waifu dance for him on their wings. :catstare: Hope he's getting some mental health care, 'cause he's deep in some kind of delusional belief system.

This is what happens when you watch The Last Flight of Noah's Ark just one time too many

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Wow, that is incredible to read. How quickly it goes from "This is a good idea" to "THIS IS THE BEST IDEA" right into "GLORIOUS NIPPON :japan:" is great.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

I drove out to get a view of it but it's so far back from the road and in trees you cannot see even a bit of it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FAA approves first commercial drone use: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-27785538

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

SyHopeful posted:

I drove out to get a view of it but it's so far back from the road and in trees you cannot see even a bit of it.

Shame, I'd love to know if those big fan grills he's installed in the starboard wing are for A/C or something else (I guess I could email him, but he seems pretty crazy)

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
They look like they're plumbed in to something so I'm guessing solar water heaters, like this but home made ghetto style

e: christ I didn't realise the image was that big thanks android app

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 11, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

They look like they're plumbed in to something so I'm guessing solar water heaters, like this but home made ghetto style

Looks like it, I found a pic on one of his updates (14-mar-2003) where you can tell they're just coils of hose, which is kind of disappointing, I had a mental vision of it being some really awesome home-made A/C, but oh well.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Is that really?
Oh. Indian company.
Still might want to rethink the swastikas if they ever want to export those...

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Of some vague relevance to this thread: I decided today that I'm going to start studying and gaining experience towards my aircraft maintenance engineer's license. So in three years or so, I might well be fixing a plane near you (hopefully not too near you)!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
...or we'll know who to blame when a stab breaks off or a turbine throws a blade. :v:

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Granted the 727 house guy might be a little crazy, but I can't be the only one here who dreams of having a yard full of airplanes, right? Hell, here in Ohio there're at least two dudes I know of who have fulfilled that dream, plus of course the late, legendary Walter Soplata

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Didn't see this posted, but looks like there was crash involving a student pilot and instructor at that other flight school in DAB. http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/plane-crash-reported-daytona-beach-intl-airport/ngHhH/

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
For you million milers out there.
Bored guy makes a music video by himself while stuck in McCarran overnight.
http://gawker.com/man-trapped-overn...dium=socialflow

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I saw a strange-looking aircraft today and wonder if you guys could id it by description: twin pusher turbo prop with a blocky canard on the front, about the size of a typical business jet.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

EightBit posted:

I saw a strange-looking aircraft today and wonder if you guys could id it by description: twin pusher turbo prop with a blocky canard on the front, about the size of a typical business jet.

Either a Beechcraft Starship

or a Piaggio Avanti

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
That's probably about it. The Piaggio would be much more common. Though since Avantair folded I haven't seen an Avanti in a while.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It was probably an Avanti; it had a normal-looking vertical stabilizer, at least. I stop to catch my breath on a hill that is under the approach and takeoff routes for SAT when I'm riding solo or the dirt trails are too muddy and get to see lots of stuff coming and going.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was trying to figure out what plane it was I flew on ages ago and perhaps the thread can help. It was Canadian regional (airline long since acquired by air canada) twin turboprop high wing. The interesting thing is the square fuselage profile. I thought it might be a dornier 228 but it looked a little different, especially in the nose. It was a really boxy looking plane.

I remember getting on the plane and everyone chose to sit at the back and the plane did a wheelie until the steward asked some folks to distribute the weight around :haw:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A Shorts?

Doesn't seem like it'd have an issue standing on its tail though... It was just the first boxy airplane I thought of.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
YES! That is exactly it. Wow, got it in one. Cool! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yes! Finally I get one.

Also on my recent CRJ-200 flight, passengers were asked to move for weight and balance. Those little regionals run into that from time to time.

EDIT: Also now I'm going through all of American Eagle's old turbo prop fleet. Here's another boxy one, the Casa 212:

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 11, 2014