Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr E posted:

Finally got around to beating VII along with the WEAPONS (Emerald was extremely annoying).
You shoulda just cheesed him with All 7 Fever where you set up the last two digits to __77 and heal to 7777 with potions. After your opening berserk barrage, if you chain limit breaks (Cloud, Cid, and anyone else with a lot of hits), he'll have like 50,000 HP left. You're done in five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I'm just running it on default at the moment and it runs fine and dandy, whats all this inferno business people are talking a boot?

Also I just tried Crisis Core on ppsspp, and oh my is it beautiful.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

FF7 remake confirmed.

Going to be released as a series of smartphone apps containing 5 minutes of the original's gameplay apiece.

The Knights of the Round and Super Nova spells will have several apiece just dedicated to them.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mr E posted:

Finally got around to beating VII along with the WEAPONS (Emerald was extremely annoying). I just can't help but think how much better the story would be in my head if they just ended VII with that last Red XIII cutscene over Midgar. Great game overall, though, it was really nice to play an upbeat Cloud after he unfucked his mind.

They did end it there though? Unless you're referring to the Compilation, in which case I completely agree.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I'm just running it on default at the moment and it runs fine and dandy, whats all this inferno business people are talking a boot?

It's referring to how the PSP handles running game images. You can switch it between a few drivers, but generally Inferno is the highest compatibility option.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

They did end it there though? Unless you're referring to the Compilation, in which case I completely agree.

Yeah, I mean the Compilation.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

BloodWulfe posted:

I'm not very far into Type-0 yet, but so far the whole Fabula Nova Crystallis stuff is way more engrossing in it than it was in any of the XIII games. L'Cie and Eidolons, and the world building in general, are way more interesting so far.

I genuinely don't remember if this was the case in XIII, but I guess if you die in Type-0 your existence is sort of wiped from everyone's memory. Is that about right? So if no one finds your memory codex it's like you never existed?

That's super hosed up.

I mean, I love the world building and am finding the game's story pretty neat at this point, but boy do the characters suffer for it. Machina, Rem, and Ace have gotten a bit of early stuff but I could barely tell you anything about the rest of these jokers. Jack is always :buddy:? Nine's a douche? Deuce is a girl? Trey is... the gently caress is Trey, I don't think he's even talked yet, what's your deal. You suck in combat too, get out Trey.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Terper posted:

I mean, I love the world building and am finding the game's story pretty neat at this point, but boy do the characters suffer for it. Machina, Rem, and Ace have gotten a bit of early stuff but I could barely tell you anything about the rest of these jokers. Jack is always :buddy:? Nine's a douche? Deuce is a girl? Trey is... the gently caress is Trey, I don't think he's even talked yet, what's your deal. You suck in combat too, get out Trey.

You forgot Queen :colbert: That icy Tsundere bitch.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Queen is just Smart Girl (who might be interested in Nine?). Cater is ditzy, hyper girl... or was that Cinque? One has a mace, one has a gun. I have no idea how Sice and Seven are different. I need more interactions between the characters instead of with NPCs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have no idea how to unlock the next tier of weapons in Type-0.
Queen owns in combat. Haven't seen anything of her out of it apart from "Stupidity isn't contagious, so I'll still hang out with you." or something similar, which is a pretty nice burn.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mr E posted:

Yeah, I mean the Compilation.

That mess is exactly why I hope Square doesn't remake FF VII. If a fan project takes it on, great. Otherwise, leave it alone.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
After trying Type-0 for a while I can safely say it's a Good Game, so I'll hold on with more playing until the proper port, especially since it seems they'll be making a bit of an effort.

Also, Final Fantasy XIV is great - good graphics, music, an engaging combat system; for the most part you can ignore the MMO aspects (provided you can clear the main campaign in the month you get, though) - I've been playing it like a single player game with a bunch of competent AIs who sometimes want you to join the party for some reason. In the beginning there's a slew of sidequests, which may overwhelm you, but after a while the amount grows smaller and far more manageable. I thought I might like to play FF XII HD, but now I think FF XIV is a better version of that :v:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Terper posted:

I agree, and it feels really weird not seeing your characters basically not be a part of the plot. All the cutscenes seem to be of higher ups and enemies. Presumably this will change at some point though

I actually think Trey is pretty good in combat. Good range and good damage when you charge his bow up. He's terrible against things that move fast but good against big slow boss things. The only ones I can't find a use for are Eight, Cinque, Cater and Deuce

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Aurain posted:

I have no idea how to unlock the next tier of weapons in Type-0.
Queen owns in combat. Haven't seen anything of her out of it apart from "Stupidity isn't contagious, so I'll still hang out with you." or something similar, which is a pretty nice burn.
You can buy new weapons from a guy in the arms place at the academy

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

BloodWulfe posted:

I genuinely don't remember if this was the case in XIII, but I guess if you die in Type-0 your existence is sort of wiped from everyone's memory. Is that about right? So if no one finds your memory codex it's like you never existed?

That's super hosed up.

I don't think everyone forgets the person, just the ones under the "influence" of the crystal. I might be wrong, though. Rem being all cheery when she tells everyone she writes down the names of everyone she goes to missions with in case they die and she forgets them was pretty hosed up in any case.

Lightning Returns has a similar plot point but the person's soul has to be destroyed to make everyone forget about him/her.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I started playing the Type-0 translation patch yesterday and got through the first mission. I'm using an emulator so I was able to map the d-pad controls to the right stick of my controller and it makes things a lot easier. The combat is really fun and i'm looking forward to having some more cadets to mess around with.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

You can buy new weapons from a guy in the arms place at the academy

Yeah, I meant how to unlock the next set of weapons up at that guy.

While I'm at it, a spreadsheet made by gamefaqs(?), with info on basically everything.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqRPQz13F4fZdDVtdWdRV2pqWWdyLVViMWxtVklOY2c#gid=45

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Paperhouse posted:

I agree, and it feels really weird not seeing your characters basically not be a part of the plot. All the cutscenes seem to be of higher ups and enemies. Presumably this will change at some point though

I actually think Trey is pretty good in combat. Good range and good damage when you charge his bow up. He's terrible against things that move fast but good against big slow boss things. The only ones I can't find a use for are Eight, Cinque, Cater and Deuce

To answer this and other concerns on characterization, apparently when you do a new game+ you gain access to a set of missions that replace all the missions stsarting from chapter 3 onwards that run parallel to the ones from the first run through, only these ones focus more on the exploits of Class-0's members rather than on the overall war itself.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

New FF spinoff for the 3DS, Final Fantasy Explorers. Multiplayer action RPG.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Terper posted:

Yeah, I couldn't tell you anything about the characters beyond "Nine is basically a dragoon." They're mostly interchangeable and disposable so far. In fact, it feels more like I'm selecting what weapon I want to use in Monster Hunter than picking party members.

Game makes up for it by immediately introducing the best series chocobo, Chichiri, and my new favorite Prussian-wannabe Cid.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BloodWulfe posted:

Yeah, I couldn't tell you anything about the characters beyond "Nine is basically a dragoon."

If that doesn't excite you, you're wrong :colbert:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

BloodWulfe posted:

Game makes up for it by immediately introducing the best series chocobo, Chichiri, and my new favorite Prussian-wannabe Cid.

Talking to Machina before the Iscah Infiltration mission: "If I ever have a chocobo, I'm gonna name it Chichiri! ...Wait, why do I feel so sad?" You left us too soon, brave chocobo. :smithicide: They give Memory Tags to all the soldiers, sure, but none to the animals.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Who am I meant to give the memory tags to, I can't find the memory tag person!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

Who am I meant to give the memory tags to, I can't find the memory tag person!

It's a moogle near the big sigil, but you can't do it until a few missions in.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Welp, I just finished the first half of Chapter 3 thinking I'm fine, then the game literally tells me to don't try the 2nd half until you're level 22.

Most of my party's around 16. I hit a wall here.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

If that doesn't excite you, you're wrong :colbert:

He's the best character because of that, even without the heavy ornate armor that dragoons usually have.

I mean, I couldn't tell you anything about his characterization, but jump is great!

Terper posted:

Talking to Machina before the Iscah Infiltration mission: "If I ever have a chocobo, I'm gonna name it Chichiri! ...Wait, why do I feel so sad?" You left us too soon, brave chocobo. :smithicide: They give Memory Tags to all the soldiers, sure, but none to the animals.

Orience is a super depressing place. :ohdear:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They announced 3 english VA's (Matthew Mercer, Cristina Vee, and Apollo Justice's VA) for Type-0, which means localization is probably sooner than a year. Maybe even 6 months since they're being so quick about announcing the cast.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Really digging the gameplay in Type 0 so far. I usually play Jack because he fucks bosses and bigger enemies right up, and just pick randomly for my backup characters. So far, I've found King, Eight, and the mace girl (Cinque?) to be the best AI pals. I feel like I'm missing something with Sice though, her scythe either misses entirely or does piddly damage, and her special attacks seem pretty mediocore.

On the other hand, I can't make myself give even a teeny tiny little poo poo about the story. I think my brain just shuts off when I see the word l'cie because fuuuck 13. Plus the piles of people, places, things and terms it throws at you all in the opening cutscene. I dunno, maybe I'm too old to actually care about bad JRPG storylines now. That plus the lack of actual characters is a big black spot on an otherwise super cool game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So wait is type 0 related to 13 or are they just reusing l'cie or what? I haven't been paying much attention to it because nothing about it interested me, until now, I guess.

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

So wait is type 0 related to 13 or are they just reusing l'cie or what? I haven't been paying much attention to it because nothing about it interested me, until now, I guess.

Back when XIII, Agito and Versus were a collection of games it was but Square Enix have since split both of those games away from the XIII label into their own things. It does still share some of the mythology and plot devices like l'cie but it's nothing that really matters.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

They use L'Cie and poo poo like Previous FF used Rumah/Ifrit/Crystals/etc. Thematic links but used differently and with its own set of rules and narrative impact.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They share L'cie and other setting terms specific to the NEW TALES OF THE CRYSTALS games but otherwise are unrelated. Think of it like how chocobos show up in multiple games as the same thing but the worlds and stories are completely separate.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If they changed L'Cie to a different term like super crystal slaves or something, nothing about the game really relates to 13.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It uses some of the same terms that 13 does because Type-0 is still involved in that Fabula Nova whatever stuff, but isn't actually linked in any meaningful way.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Also l'cie in Type 0 are basically loving Dragonball Z Fist Of The North Star level ridiculous.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Compilation of FFVII, Ivalice Alliance, FABULANOVACRYSTALIS. Are there other setting groups for FF?

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Tae posted:

They announced 3 english VA's (Matthew Mercer, Cristina Vee, and Apollo Justice's VA) for Type-0, which means localization is probably sooner than a year. Maybe even 6 months since they're being so quick about announcing the cast.

I wish they would just buy the fan translation and work off of that. It's been rock solid so far, and they had to gently caress about with an insane amount of dialogue.

Square would never, ever do that, but it's nice to think about anyways.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Type-0 might be trying to make it cool or something but l'cie is still a really stupid word. I kinda half-wish the official localization tries to wipe its hands clean of 13 references, but that's not going to happen. Also

:eyepop:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Thank you for explaining the l'cie thing and, to T.G. Xarbala, do not worry, i am not the mod here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Barudak posted:

Compilation of FFVII, Ivalice Alliance, FABULANOVACRYSTALIS. Are there other setting groups for FF?

I don't know if the other ones have names. They've put out FFIV the After Years and that middle story, whatever it was called. Then there's X and X-2.