Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

thrawn527 posted:

I'm sure it will have prequel locations. Hell, see more in Spring 2015? Probably going to come out late 2015 then. I'm sure it'll have some Episode VII content, even if only a little like a new location or character.

Yeah I would bet money that it's coming out within 3 weeks or so of the new movie to build up hype (probably Black Friday).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I'm sure it will have prequel locations. Hell, see more in Spring 2015? Probably going to come out late 2015 then. I'm sure it'll have some Episode VII content, even if only a little like a new location or character.
I'm sure it will, but I think they're doing their best to send a message to people who have felt let down by the games Lucasarts was putting out towards end of life.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm sure it will, but I think they're doing their best to send a message to people who have felt let down by the games Lucasarts was putting out towards end of life.

I thought Pandemic did a pretty good job with the first two Battlefront games. They weren't awful and had a few nice levels. II got bogged down a bit with playing Force/Special characters.

Still, it's nice to see them setting a playful tone but it'd be nicer still to really see them produce fun maps that happen to also capture the movies.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wasn't counting the Battlefront series as bad, maybe not as polished as they could have been but good.

Really liking The Secret History of Star Wars.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I've been bouncing around various Star Wars forums last week after more or less going on hiatus from the series for a few years. One thing I saw a lot of that kind of irritated me was how everyone tried to rank SW characters into a numbered list of the most "powerful". This is probably an old-fashioned view of things, but I never saw the Force as something as easily quantified as Dragonball Z power levels. Trying to rank force power, is like trying to rank spiritual enlightenment; it just doesn't work like that.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Uh sure it does, don't you know anything?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Now that's a trip down memory lane.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Does it say bad things about me if I'm looking at a ranking of Jedi by compiled by SuperShadow and my first instinct is to explain why he was wrong?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Zoran posted:

Does it say bad things about me if I'm looking at a ranking of Jedi by compiled by SuperShadow and my first instinct is to explain why he was wrong?

Only if you act on it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Casimir Radon posted:

I wasn't counting the Battlefront series as bad, maybe not as polished as they could have been but good.

My two main complaints RE Battlefront 2:

Some of the maps in 2 were really linear and boxlike. This kind of sucks when everyone is armed with grenades.

The brain dead AI that'd literally run into gunfire. I never could finish the single player mode. It ended at Yavin IV because those Stormtroopers were so eager to be the first guy that gets shot running at the Rebels.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

cptn_dr posted:

Why do I torture myself by re-reading through all the crazy?

Indiana Jones 5 trailer posted:

Mutt Williams speaks with agitation: "I'll never finish school because of these endless adventures."

Indiana Jones says to Mutt Williams in a joking manner: "You can't learn any of this in a class room."

Did we ever figure out if he was trolling, or genuinely insane?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

cptn_dr posted:

If I remember right, that list used to have them ranked by midi-chlorian count complete with numbers but I guess he changed it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I remember around the time Episode III came out, his list indicated that General Grievous had a higher midi-chlorian count than Mace Windu.

I believe he's also responsible for perpetuating the rumour that Dooku's first name is "Jard" (even though it's right there in the movie - his first name is "Count" :v:).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hazo posted:

If I remember right, that list used to have them ranked by midi-chlorian count complete with numbers but I guess he changed it.

I love there was an article on the AOTC lead-in HoloNet News website that was a complete mockery of SuperShadow.

Metal Loaf posted:

I believe he's also responsible for perpetuating the rumour that Dooku's first name is "Jard" (even though it's right there in the movie - his first name is "Count" :v:).

Well, the second volume of the Agent of the Empire comics features the Dooku family heavily and makes it pretty clear he would have had a first name, unless he was like Palpatine and deliberately rejected it or something.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Jesus, he couldn't have been trying too hard with some of those names...hang on...

quote:

29. Darth Crankor

I can't tell if Prince of Space now makes more or less sense. :psyduck:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

To be fair, if my parents had named me "Jard", I'd want to Force-choke a couple people too...

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Jesus, he couldn't have been trying too hard with some of those names...hang on...

I can't tell if Prince of Space now makes more or less sense. :psyduck:
Darth Flamrim and Darth Craptar are my favorites.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

All that said, I think this bears repeating...

Game Informer posted:

The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I really liked about KOTOR was the idea that "Revan" and "Malak" were their real names and they just added "Darth" because it's a title.

Malak's real name later turned out to be "Alek Squinquargesimus" but that's probably non-canon now.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

One thing I really liked about KOTOR was the idea that "Revan" and "Malak" were their real names and they just added "Darth" because it's a title.

Malak's real name later turned out to be "Alek Squinquargesimus" but that's probably non-canon now.

Malak's probably non-canon now... :(

At least it's harder to actively contradict stuff set before the films, even if they are decanonised.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

I really enjoyed the idea of the tradition twisting out of sheer ignorance on the part of the Sith over time. "Darth Revan and Darth Malak? Oh, so I guess we're supposed to just come up with a threatening-sounding name to come after Darth, huh? I mean, those guys obviously just made their names up."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if the worst Darth names are the really lazy ones (Darth Maladi, Darth Karnage) or the ones that try way too hard to be clever (Darth Andeddu, Darth Wyrrlok).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cptn_dr posted:

All that said, I think this bears repeating...

what article is that from? and doesnt george hate force unleashed now.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

EddieDean posted:

At least it's harder to actively contradict stuff set before the films, even if they are decanonised.

Maybe its my years as a comic reader, but the canonicy thing doesn't bother me. This blank slate will last all of five minutes before Disney starts crapping out licensed stuff to make their money back and before you know it it'll be a tangled mess all over again.

One good thing about it is that now everything in the old EU is more or less the same level of "true" now, so you're free to pick and chose what counts without anyone being able to argue otherwise.

Personally, this means SWTOR doesn't count and we can only guess what happened to Revan and Exile.

Metal Loaf posted:

Caesar, Kaiser, T'sar, etc...

Though that does make me wonder where the Darth title first came from.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Canemacar posted:

Though that does make me wonder where the Darth title first came from.

I seem to recall some flaky made up language sources that linked it to "master" or "elite" or some such, and the idea that it was just a contraction of "DARk Lord of the SiTH". Of the two, I find the latter fits how language seems to develop better. Not like Sith aren't pretentious enough to use a simple abbreviation and pretend it's some cool ancient word.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
When I think back to something like even Darth Vader, I don't even know if I like the idea of the whole name being a title (like Lt. Commander) vs. just a wholly fake name (first name Darth, last name Vader) vs. a title and a name.

As fanficky as this sounds, it might have been an interesting development if the chosen suffix of your Darth title had to have some symbolic beyond than just sounding cool or scary or abandoning your old identity.

Like that it isn't just a name you choose or is chosen for you, but as a Sith it's the name you literally TAKE by killing someone. Your first personally chosen victim as an apprentice, you take their name or a variation of it as an eternal reminder of your dedication to the dark side. I could see something like that as a powerful tool to the Sith.

It could serve as a constant, inescapable reminder of the choice and act you committed to pull you to the darkside -- it literally has defined you as a person. It could be demoralizing to potential enemies to hear the name/reputation of a dead friend/ally being twisted to serve the Sith. People who just had the galactic misfortune of having a cool name like "Todd Vyrruss" and gets a red lightsaber to the face because some punk Sith apprentice wanted to go around calling himself "Darth Vyrruss" (Or "Darth Todd")

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

When I think back to something like even Darth Vader, I don't even know if I like the idea of the whole name being a title (like Lt. Commander) vs. just a wholly fake name (first name Darth, last name Vader) vs. a title and a name.

As fanficky as this sounds, it might have been an interesting development if the chosen suffix of your Darth title had to have some symbolic beyond than just sounding cool or scary or abandoning your old identity.

Like that it isn't just a name you choose or is chosen for you, but as a Sith it's the name you literally TAKE by killing someone. Your first personally chosen victim as an apprentice, you take their name or a variation of it as an eternal reminder of your dedication to the dark side. I could see something like that as a powerful tool to the Sith.

It could serve as a constant, inescapable reminder of the choice and act you committed to pull you to the darkside -- it literally has defined you as a person. It could be demoralizing to potential enemies to hear the name/reputation of a dead friend/ally being twisted to serve the Sith. People who just had the galactic misfortune of having a cool name like "Todd Vyrruss" and gets a red lightsaber to the face because some punk Sith apprentice wanted to go around calling himself "Darth Vyrruss" (Or "Darth Todd")

So then Darth Vader's name would have been Darth Younglings?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Or Darth Slaughteredthemlikeanimals.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Or Darth Slaughteredthemlikeanimals.

What if we went with the first sandperson murdered? Darth Huuuurgh-hur-hur-hur?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's too bad party members couldn't become Dark/Jedi in the first KOTOR game, because then you could've had Darth Carth.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Metal Loaf posted:

It's too bad party members couldn't become Dark/Jedi in the first KOTOR game, because then you could've had Darth Carth.

He tortures you by whining at you constantly. That would've been a pretty effective villain, actually. We all hate Carth as is and he was the "good guy".

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Canemacar posted:

So then Darth Vader's name would have been Darth Younglings?

Darth Amidala/Darth Padme?

poo poo, even with my idea you can twist it into what you like. Having the Tuskan tribe being the "V'dar" or something could easily be twisted into that sort of fit that sort of thing.

I know in one of the comics set between the prequels and the OT, Vader describes his power from the darkside is fueled by his self-hatred. Having to forever carry a name of someone you hated enough to kill or as a constant reminder of your fall to the darkside could be useful in maintaining a sense of negativity that the darkside seems to feed on.

Also, in a sort of strange way, I could see it working in the confines of even the original trilogy: If Luke had killed Vader, he'd literally and figuratively taken Darth Vader's place at Palpatine's side, right down to inheriting the title and name of Vader.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

It's a cool idea, no doubt.

You just have to make sure you pick the right one for your first. No one wants to lose their temper at the space-DMV and become Darth Clarence.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McGann posted:

He tortures you by whining at you constantly. That would've been a pretty effective villain, actually. We all hate Carth as is and he was the "good guy".

I remember the old starwars.com message board had this joke thread called "Things KOTOR characters would never say" and the best one was Carth saying, "But enough about me, let's talk about you."

JediTalentAgent posted:

Also, in a sort of strange way, I could see it working in the confines of even the original trilogy: If Luke had killed Vader, he'd literally and figuratively taken Darth Vader's place at Palpatine's side, right down to inheriting the title and name of Vader.

He would have been called Daarth Vaader if that had been the case.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Metal Loaf posted:

He would have been called Daarth Vaader if that had been the case.

Nah, he'd have to be a clone for that.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Nah, he'd have to be a clone for that.

And a new Zahn novel is born.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Zahn's already covering the clones characters:

"An Apology posted:

There has been too much blood. Too much death. Too much destruction.

The time has come to set the record straight.

It wasn’t supposed to be like this. I was supposed to be the answer to all the chaos spinning through the New Republic. Part of the solution, not part of the problem. Certainly not one of the chief perpetrators.

But you know what they say about the best-laid plans of Ranats and men.

It started out perfectly. I was chosen by Grand Admiral Thrawn to be the new heir to the Rebel leadership and to the new Jedi Order that he knew would arise at my hand. The confrontation at Mount Tantiss went off without a hitch, all the noise and smoke and confusion completely masking the fact that that crazy Jade woman nailed the wrong guy.

Or maybe she nailed the right guy. That was what she’d been ordered to do, you know.

Either way, that was it for Luke Skywalker, hero of the Rebellion. When Han and Leia and the others made their mad scramble out of there, I was the one they took along.

It went all right for awhile. Thrawn fed me instructions and orders, and I was able to handle things reasonably well.

Sure, there were adjustments to be made. My taste in food didn’t always fit Skywalker’s. Hot chocolate was the worst. I could choke it down when the situation called for it, but the stuff always seemed unnatural. But those were minor annoyances, and I got through them.

And like I said, the game started all right. But slowly, I could see things starting to go sideways. The Jedi Academy, for instance. Half the time I didn’t have the slightest idea what I was doing. Maybe the real Luke wouldn’t have, either. But he wasn’t the one on the scene. I was. Corran Horn helped out some, but I got the impression he was making it up as he went along just as much as I was.

Exar Kun knew, of course. He cackled nonstop about it when we were alone. But in the end we got through it.

Thrawn really wanted me to get a sample so that he could make his own Exaar Kun. He seemed very put out that without a body I couldn’t do that. He was miffed about Callista, too, for the same reason.

He was mollified, though, with the samples I later got him from Prince Xizor and Durga the Hutt. He still likes to play holochess with Xiizor, though the Falleen sulks a lot about not being allowed to go back to Black Sun. Why Thrawn keeps Duurga around I don’t know. Still, there’s a marsh behind the king’s palace, and Hutts do tend to keep down the frog population.

Life went on. The Black Fleet crisis was dealt with, and the Caamas Document thing, and a whole lot of other troubles.

But the strains were beginning to show. I was starting to get too old for all this, and even the Grand Admiral started wondering aloud if I needed to be replaced by a new model. I was thinking maybe that might not be a bad idea when I suddenly came to a new, horrific realization.

The goal was no longer peace and justice across the galaxy. That had been my goal, but not Thrawn’s. Maybe never had been.

His goal had become to collect a complete set of clones.

Where this insanity came from I have no idea. Maybe by that time it wasn’t even Thrawn pulling the strings anymore. Maybe he’d already been replaced by a Thraawn clone. Maybe we were even up to Thraaawn by now—the galaxy has been pretty hard on Grand Admirals over the years.

I first noticed it when the Vong came in and dropped that moon on Chewbacca. Thrawn (maybe Thraawn. Whoever.) had a Chewbaacca clone up and running practically before the dust settled.

He used to like pairing him up with Duurga for arm-wrestling. But after Chewbaacca pulled one of Duurga’s arms out of its socket, he stopped those bouts. He hasn’t let Chewbaacca anywhere near Duuurga since.

That was bad enough. But then Thraawn (Thraaawn. Whoever.) took it even further. He started making his clones, but then substituting them for people before they died, snatching the originals and taking them back to live at his secret fortress in the Patagonia system.

I’m serious. He started by putting in Anaakin for Anakin. When he got away with that, he went on to Maara, then Jaacen (we’re really sorry about Jaacen, by the way), then Gilaad Pellaeon, and literally dozens of others. Even now, there are clones running around all over the place, on both sides of whatever war we’re in at the moment. (After everything I’ve been through, I’ve started to lose track.) Nataasi Daala’s a clone, Jaagged Fell’s a clone, and I’m pretty sure Jaina is at least on Thraaaawn’s to-do list.

Some people take so many chances with their lives that they’re already up to their third or fourth clone. I’ve lost track as to whether it’s Boooba Fett or Booooba Fett inside that Mandalorian armor. (The armor’s probably on its second or third generation, too. Fett gets shot at a lot.)

The only ones I’m absolutely sure are still the originals are Han and Leia. I think.

It’s been a long, long road. And I, for one, am looking forward to ending my part of it. Luuuke is already in place, so if you want to interpret this message as simply a deranged bit of nonsense from some crazy old wizard, I’ll understand.

But whether you believe me or not, please believe that I’m deeply sorry for my part in this collector’s nightmare you’ve all been thrown into.

I go now to Patagonia, to the palace of the former pirate Roberts, and I will not be coming forth again.

Farewell, and may the Faarce be with you.
-Luuke Skywalker

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Pesky Splinter posted:

Zahn's already covering the clones characters:

I have no idea if this was by Zahn or not, but I got a good chuckle out of it anyway. :)

Especially at Booba Fett.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

pengun101 posted:

what article is that from? and doesnt george hate force unleashed now.

Game informer from a few months ago about the collapse of LucasArts. I also had the bits about "Jet Brody"'s name being changed on a whim a few pages back

In other news, the Falcon has done something to Harrison Ford... Everything from "OH MY GOD IT CRUSHED HIM" to "Bruised his ankle" has been reported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Last week, Mark Hammill appeared at Disney World's Star Wars Weekends and was interviewed by James Arnold Taylor (the voice of Obi-Wan and Plo Koon on the Clone Wars TV series). It's 45 minutes long, but worth a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFiEAh2Q8I8