Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Shear Modulus posted:

Just saw they announced Pac Man and Palutena. Pac Man is awesome as hell, don't have an opinion on Palutena.

How many more new characters can they have left to announce at this point?

Just Waluigi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

TerminusEst13 posted:

Somewhere between "one" and "a lot".
We've got three weeks before release, and I can guarantee you Sakurai isn't going to announce the secret characters.
I can also guarantee you that there will be at least one secret character. More than four is likely.

I want to live in this world with you.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The rumor we saw also said in addition to Chrom we'd also be getting Shulk from Xenosaga and something called the "Chorus Men" which Google tells me is from Rhythm Heaven.

Honestly if that were true, as long as we got (most) of the old cast back, I don't see how anyone could be less than stoked with the overall line up.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

As someone who doesn't watch competitive Smash the best part of the tournament was when that one announcer freaked out over Megaman's final smash.

Super fighting robot, MEGAMAN!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Hellioning posted:

Is a game with a button that allows you to instantly win any fight a good game though? Like, I never played the original Guilty Gear and I'm guessing that's what you're referring too, since I heard about it's instant kill mechanics, but there's a reason they changed those mechanics in the later games.

Guilty Gear 1 wasn't a good game, that was largely my point. Generally, if a game sucks at a high level then the "at a high level" part is largely unnecessary to the equation and people can move on. It's not like there aren't other games for us to play; look what happened to Brawl. There's a dropoff point where it's very clear that a game is both not fun to play or watch; it just so happens that not understanding the nuances of a game can make it not fun to watch more often than it should. If you that dropoff, though, the game is bad and it's time to move on.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Blackheart posted:

I mean we were laughing at goony scarf kid during the live event but I'd like to believe most of us weren't really serious. It's not like the guy was M2K. Hope people won't start harassing him or anything.

Considering how many people have been reacting to him both on SA and off, I'm not too hopeful. People get really, really mad over this idea of honor.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Rhonne posted:

As someone who doesn't watch competitive Smash the best part of the tournament was when that one announcer freaked out over Megaman's final smash.

Super fighting robot, MEGAMAN!

My friends and I were doing the same thing, cheering for Mega Man to suck it up and get his Final Smash off until he finally did it.

As far as characters go, the only one I'd be legitimately upset over getting cut is Ganondorf. That said, I'd put money on him being playable in Hyrule Warriors so that'll probably take some of the sting out. If he's left out of Hyrule Warriors and Smash, I will drown the world in my man-child tears.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

They set a release date?

October 4.

We should probably put that date in the thread title.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

FZeroRacer posted:

Considering how many people have been reacting to him both on SA and off, I'm not too hopeful. People get really, really mad over this idea of honor.

I'm starting to feel bad for this kid. Other than looking goony as gently caress he really hasn't done anything to draw this much ire.

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 11, 2014

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010
A lot of people here seem surprised that a group of the most competitive smash players in the world did everything they could to win. It wasn't just the ZSS player, either. The Wii Fit trainer spent most of every match running from people and cherry picking kills with items. HungryBox himself spent half of a match chilling and generally played defensively unless there was an easy target with a lot of percentage (especially when he had the lead.) I expected more players to do this, honestly. Nobody should take the results of this very seriously, I guarantee HungryBox doesn't.

As for the speed of the game, it was obvious these players just didn't have enough practice with the game to string together awesome combos, but you could also tell those combos exist. Players moved around plenty fast, and characters die at reasonable percentage. I think Smash64, the longstanding expectation of speed for this game, seems to be a pretty close comparison. The biggest thing I saw that slows the game down is that players spend a lot of time not in control of their characters compared to Melee/M but that's not exactly surprising.

Obviously ZSS spending 30 seconds running in circles to abuse the rules was kind of cheesy, but the game ending in sudden death was extremely fitting. My biggest complaint about it was the loving AWFUL CAMERAMEN. Not just at that moment but throughout the tournament.

Edit: On scrubchat, I've played more competitive games than I care to admit, and across multiple genres. People who do everything they can to win, including utilizing rules in unexpected and lovely ways, have NEVER been called scrubs by any decent player. "Scrub" generally refers to people who are bad at a game. If ZSS player had done this in a major SSBB tournament nobody would've batted an eye, it's completely commonplace.

Icy Penguigo fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 11, 2014

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bongo Bill posted:

October 4.

We should probably put that date in the thread title.

Already PM'd a mod about it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

TerminusEst13 posted:

Somewhere between "one" and "a lot".
We've got three weeks before release, and I can guarantee you Sakurai isn't going to announce the secret characters.
I can also guarantee you that there will be at least one secret character. More than four is likely.

Three weeks? You mean like three or four months right?

Space T Rex posted:

Just Waluigi.

And Mewtwo.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I'm starting to feel bad for this kid. Other than looking goony as gently caress he really hasn't done anything to draw this much ire.

But but but he played the game WRONG because I said so

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The other competitors know he just played to win and its all good, so they'll will probably defend him and put an end to it pretty quickly if people start e-attacking the dude.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

He got to touch the Glorious Golden Hand of Reggie. That alone is worth any 'scrub' tactics in any video game and you nerds know it.

yeah this

The Invitational was a really fun event and it looked like everyone who was invited was having a great time.
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/476508033216835584
The dude who won, Zero I think his handle was?, played really smart and I was rooting for him the whole time (mostly because ZSS is my favorite fighter, but he was playing really well too). It was really obvious that they still needed time to learn the game before they could do any really cool poo poo, especially the Mega Man player, but that they were all able to come together and play the newest edition of the game they all love is what really mattered. I'm sure they were all freaking out over that alone the whole time. Everyone here who is getting mad needs to chill the gently caress out because everyone who actually played the game was too busy having a ton of fun to get upset about anything. This was the first time Nintendo has done anything to actually reach out to the Smash community, and it was a huge success.

I can't wait until next year when Reggie kicks PPMD's rear end infront of a live studio audience.

also pac-man and the other newcomers are all cool etc

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Pac-man is the worst announcement thus far. It's kinda cool all the namco games that he uses though for his attacks. It makes it slightly better but I wouldn't say by much.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I want to live in this world with you.

Shear Modulus posted:

Three weeks? You mean like three or four months right?

Yes, sorry. :doh:

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I'm starting to wonder, we know that there is hitstun, but how much?

I noticed several times Hungrybox down throws and tries to follow up, and by my understanding it should combo... but then they air dodge. Ken had this problem too. It might just be the low percents, but usually low percents are the best time to combo...

I don't want another one hit fighting game.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Say what you will about ZeRo's tactics in the Grand Final, but that scarf was sentai as gently caress and I loved it.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
For those wondering why ZeRo was wearing that scarf https://twitter.com/CT_ZeRo/status/476601487087239168

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Black Mage Knight posted:

For those wondering why ZeRo was wearing that scarf https://twitter.com/CT_ZeRo/status/476601487087239168

I don't think anybody was wondering why instead of saying it looked terrible

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Pac-Man looks awesome.
If 48 character roster is true, as well as Gematsu leak, the roster becomes largely predictable.

Currently confirmed: 33
half-confirmed: Mr. Game&Watch, bringing total to 34
Assuming Gematsu is on the level: Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men (the gently caress?) - 37
Obvious returnees: Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Ness, Wario, Jigglypuff, Metaknight - 43
Not quite as obvious returnees: Ice Climbers, ROB, Mewtwo - 46
Then I guess Falco but not Wolf, and then one more newcomer.
Snake, Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle and Ivysaur out.

People were saying Metaknight might not return, but I don't think Sakurai would stand for it given that he created Metaknight himself.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
At this point, I'm perfectly happy with all the announced new stuff for Smash...all I need now is some confirmation of veterans and we'll have the perfect game. Jigglypuff, Ness, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Metaknight, and ROB. That's my wish list.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Spatula City posted:

Pac-Man looks awesome.
If 48 character roster is true, as well as Gematsu leak, the roster becomes largely predictable.

Currently confirmed: 33
half-confirmed: Mr. Game&Watch, bringing total to 34
Assuming Gematsu is on the level: Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men (the gently caress?) - 37
Obvious returnees: Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Ness, Wario, Jigglypuff, Metaknight - 43
Not quite as obvious returnees: Ice Climbers, ROB, Mewtwo - 46
Then I guess Falco but not Wolf, and then one more newcomer.
Snake, Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle and Ivysaur out.

People were saying Metaknight might not return, but I don't think Sakurai would stand for it given that he created Metaknight himself.

If that rumor is true, only four characters from Brawl were cut. Most likely Squirtle and Ivysaur, Wolf, and Snake.

So at 34, the three new guys brings it up to 37, and then Dorfy, CF, Ness, Wario, JP, MK, Falco, Ice Climbers, ROB, and Lucas would bring it up to 47.

That would leave room for one more spot on the Roster which if I had to guess would be Mewtwo returning. He seems to make the most sense to me to come back out of anyone marketing wise. He was recently in one of the newly released movies, he got two new Mega Evolutions similar to how Charizard and Lucario have them, and is a fan favorite.

Edit: If it's 4 that's being cut, I'd say for sure Squirtle and Ivysaur are gone, Snake for obvious reasons. The last one is probably a toss up between Lucas and Wolf. I'm thinking more towards Wolf because while they're both 'clones' Lucas was the main character for his game, and Wolf is a villain that doesn't really represent Star Fox as a whole the way Lucas represents Mother 3.

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 11, 2014

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
The list of veterans that haven't been announced based on first game is as follows:

SSB
-
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
Ness

Melee
-
Ice Climbers
Falco
Ganondorf
Mewtwo
Pichu
Roy
Young Link
Dr. Mario

Brawl
-
Lucas
Meta Knight
Pokemon Trainer/Squirtle/Ivysaur
Wario
R.O.B.
Snake
Wolf

I'm assuming G&W is confirmed. Pokemon Trainer is confirmed gone. Snake, Pichu, Young Link, Wolf and Dr. Mario are almost certainly not appearing (but as costumes maybe). Same with Roy unless he's secretly the third FE character. I think Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Ness, Falco, Ganondorf and Meta Knight are pretty likely to return. I would say Mewtwo, Ice Climbers and Wario are possible. I seriously doubt Lucas and R.O.B. will be coming back, but I didn't think G&W would either.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

The PDP controller has 2 Z buttons.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

With the news that an early Star Fox U build was floating around backstage, I'd be really surprised if the Space Animals took a casualty.

Plus, Wolf is cool and Falco is a nerd, so there :colbert:

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Heatwizard posted:

With the news that an early Star Fox U build was floating around backstage

They also showed some of it during the Treehouse.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
In my dreams not only would Snake return but Raiden would be announced so I could turn off my pain inhibitors and use my hanzo steel to fight Mega Man.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I could see Lucas and Falco/Wolf cut semi-justified by the fact that the customized specials system can sort of replicate them. No need to think up a bunch of Reflector variations when Brawl already had 3.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

I could see Lucas and Falco/Wolf cut semi-justified by the fact that the customized specials system can sort of replicate them. No need to think up a bunch of Reflector variations when Brawl already had 3.

Yeah, seriously. I'm surprised that Toon Link is still in, because this customizable moves system means that there's no reason to keep clone characters, or even partial clones. Tweak the moves, maybe an alt costume, and viola.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Brother Entropy posted:

Yeah, I figure we won't have them, but Ness and Fox are going to have their moves.

And then we get Porky to replace Lucas because god loving damnit, I've gotten myself all hyped up at the idea of playing as Porky and it'll be disappointing when I don't get it!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

If Lucas is gone, I'm going to be very, very sad. He was my main in Brawl, and I would hate to see him gone this time. :(

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Competitors weigh in on how Smash 4 plays. TW: lots of scary tryhard tourney terms

Basically, you can't combo for poo poo and dashing feels weird.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

On the other hand, somebody said in this reddit AMA that Nintendo reps drilled the players about what they wanted changed and took notes so hopefully those notebooks end up in Sakurai's hands and the game ends up fun and good to play.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I literally cannot believe Palutena is in. I'll need to have the game in my hands to be sure.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Holy poo poo, they went for Classic Pac-Man, and he looks awesome.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

net cafe scandal posted:

Competitors weigh in on how Smash 4 plays. TW: lots of scary tryhard tourney terms

Basically, you can't combo for poo poo and dashing feels weird.
I don't see anything about comboing except for throws having a delay and no grab release infinites.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

As with a lot of these productions in the mid-90s, the actual Megaman show was terrible though - because it was made by clueless Americans, with the animation handled overseas. They redesigned stuff and wrote cliched stock lovely-cartoon-show-plots meant to appeal to western audiences, because I guess they thought a whole show with the characters looking and acting like the airbrushed non-anime Megaman box art would REALLY APPEAL to American kids. :rolleyes:

The show's animation director (who was responsible for that rad intro) apparently went on to direct the Capcom game Power Stone though. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Lara Croft is now the most well known games character to not appear in Smash Bros. Apart from maybe Angry Bird or something.

• Locked thread