Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Not really. Steve, Master Chief, Assassin's Creed guy, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

net cafe scandal posted:

Competitors weigh in on how Smash 4 plays. TW: lots of scary tryhard tourney terms

Basically, you can't combo for poo poo and dashing feels weird.

The game feels like Brawl but everything is a bit heavier and feels pithy. It's... :smith:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

IronicDongz posted:

Well, Lara was name dropped in Wreck it Ralph. I doubt you could mention those other characters only by name and have people know who they were.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

If Rhythm Heaven gets a representative, it needs to be these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avm062ol9uM

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sire Oblivion posted:

The game feels like Brawl but everything is a bit heavier and feels pithy. It's... :smith:

Can we at least wait til the game is officially released before we start complaining about problems other people had with the game?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

IronicDongz posted:

This might be a dumb question but who is Steve?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

I don't see anything about comboing except for throws having a delay and no grab release infinites.

Sire Oblivion posted:

It's an unfinished game and I doubt anyone in that invitational got to play for more than an afternoon, but what I saw in that stream (and corroborated by the feedback from the invitational players) was a 1 hit fighting game and no wavedashing, no l-cancelling + sluggish aerial landing lag, delay after throwing, and easy airdodges means that nobody in a room full of 16 mad good players had any idea how to do anything but trade punches. I know this matters absolutely nothing to a lot of people, which is cool and o.k., but what was shown in the invitational stream, outside of the gleam of newness and exciting final smashes, was not really pulse-pounding gameplay. I'm excited to see how it feels in my hands, but it really doesn't look good in some respects (in others, it looks great: everything about the newcomers are perfect IMO)

But hey it's not out yet. Maybe it'll end up being Project M HD with Mega Man and I'll be one happy camper :)

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

IronicDongz posted:

there are like 6 Assassins Creed Guys

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

net cafe scandal posted:

It's an unfinished game and I doubt anyone in that invitational got to play for more than an afternoon, but what I saw in that stream (and corroborated by the feedback from the invitational players) was a 1 hit fighting game and no wavedashing, no l-cancelling + sluggish aerial landing lag, delay after throwing, and easy airdodges means that nobody in a room full of 16 mad good players had any idea how to do anything but trade punches. I know this matters absolutely nothing to a lot of people, which is cool and o.k., but what was shown in the invitational stream, outside of the gleam of newness and exciting final smashes, was not really pulse-pounding gameplay. I'm excited to see how it feels in my hands, but it really doesn't look good in some respects (in others, it looks great: everything about the newcomers are perfect IMO)

Orrrr it was because they had just been playing the game for a few hours.

And no L-canceling is a good thing, L-canceling is retarded.

Also, it's dumb to expect wavedashing when it was a product of Melee's physics engine quirks.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 11, 2014

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I think he means Blocky Minecraft Player Character Guy.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Spacebump posted:

Guy in a stripped shirt. Sits on a couch. Mainly attacks with a notepad and a blue dog. Nice guy, but not very bright.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Orrrr it was because they had just been playing the game for a few hours.

And no L-canceling is a good thing, L-canceling is retarded.

i agree

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Has anyone seen any footage of Bowser using his final smash? Or any other character who's final smash we haven't seen yet for that matter.

Of the character's who's final smashes that weren't officially shown off, I've so far seen:

Pikachu's - same as Brawl (Volt Tackle)
Fox's - same as Brawl (Landmaster)
Olimar's - same as Brawl (End of Day)
Sonic's - same as Brawl (Super Sonic)
Marth's - same as Brawl (Critical Hit)
Zero Suit Samus's - new, she jumps into her ship and goes into first person mode, shooting whoever she targets with her ship's laser cannons, kind of like Snake's but different
Sheik - same as Brawl (Light Arrow, sends opponent horizontally flying)

also I saw a Link try to use his final smash once but he missed it so I don't know if it's different. Looked like it was probably the same though.

Really curious if anyone else's have been changed or not

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Monicro posted:

there are like 6 Assassins Creed Guys
good thing they're all the loving same

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

sharrrk posted:

Has anyone seen any footage of Bowser using his final smash? Or any other character who's final smash we haven't seen yet for that matter.

Of the character's who's final smashes that weren't officially shown off, I've so far seen:

Zero Suit Samus's - new, she jumps into her ship and goes into first person mode, shooting whoever she targets with her ship's laser cannons, kind of like Snake's but different

also I saw a Link try to use his final smash once but he missed it so I don't know if it's different. Looked like it was probably the same though.

Word is that most if not all veteran's Final Smashes are the same (including Giga Bowser, who I'm dying to see). I'm pretty sure there aren't any exceptions so far besides what's been shown in a direct and ZSS's beastly FPS mode

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

I feel like a lot of stuff could easily change from now until release date- I really liked that they did this event and I'd be really super impressed if Nintendo took some of the players advice from it and we see some actual gameplay changes. I don't think anyone wants another Melee or a Project M clone but hearing some suggestions from the community as far as the 1 hit fighting or whatever would be cool.

Also holy poo poo is creating tier lists spergtastic, wow.

A cool damn horse fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 11, 2014

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

net cafe scandal posted:

Word is that most if not all veteran's Final Smashes are the same (including Giga Bowser, who I'm dying to see). I'm pretty sure there aren't any exceptions so far besides what's been shown in a direct and ZSS's beastly FPS mode

http://youtu.be/1P3i5vsGvkw (starts at 0:58)

He's pretty much the same.

GenericMartini fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 11, 2014

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

GenericMartini posted:

http://youtu.be/1P3i5vsGvkw (starts at 0:58

He's pretty much the same.

Yummy.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

That's a bit disappointing to hear. I was really hoping Mario's and Bowser's were changed to be something more true to their characters instead of just weird unrelated things. Also Zelda and Sheik still having the same final smash despite being seperate characters is upsetting as well. Oh well, I probably won't be playing with them on for very long anyway so it doesn't matter.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

sharrrk posted:

Lucario might have changed to his Mega transformation.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

net cafe scandal posted:

It felt like Brawl when I was playing it, just not as disjointed and floaty.

Dr Pepper posted:

Also, it's dumb to expect wavedashing when it was a product of Melee's physics engine quirks.

Wavedashing was intended.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Sire Oblivion posted:

Wavedashing was intended.

Do you have a source for this?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Giga Bowser is the lamest possible bullshit. It should of been replaced with a Koopa Clown Car bombing run or something else entirely. What a let down.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Wavedashing wasn't intended, but it was something they noticed in development and decided to keep in. They didn't think it something worth caring about, then they were late proven wrong.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Giga Bowser is the lamest possible bullshit. It should of been replaced with a Koopa Clown Car bombing run or something else entirely. What a let down.

yes, this. I really wanted them to just let you play as the Super Mario World final boss as his final smash. Would be so much more interesting and would actually make sense.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
^ :argh:
Wasn't wavedashing not intended, but once they found it they decided to leave it in since they assumed it wasn't a big deal?(it isn't actually.)

Game isn't nearly as fast as melee but from what I've watched aerial movement/falling looks a hell of a lot less floaty/slow, so I'm sold.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

A cool drat horse posted:

Also holy poo poo is creating tier lists spergtastic, wow.

Smash Bros is a tier list.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

Do you have a source for this?

If he's thinking of the same thing I'm thinking of, I recall specifically hearing that each character has a hardcoded variable for how far they can slide off a wavedash. I've never poked around in the data myself to find it, though.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

yeah the gravity looks nice, the floatiness of brawl was the worst thing about it so I'm at least glad that they gave the engine a kick in the rear end there

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

net cafe scandal posted:

yeah the gravity looks nice, the floatiness of brawl was the worst thing about it so I'm at least glad that they gave the engine a kick in the rear end there

I agree. The only real gripes I had with Brawl was tripping and that sense of floatiness. They've eliminated both in this one, which is great.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Here's the tournament stream for those that missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK8En6dIdAg

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Just caught up to the last 12 pages. Pacman's trailer got me more excited for the character than Palutena's did, so bravo for him. Also, G&W being confirmed to return is great too - nothing beats hitting that 9. :v:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
What are the chances that the Mii Fighters are also the new alloy/wireframe/polygon replacement? Given their potential random, diverse movesets, it makes sense to me.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This is hands down the best stage they have ever made.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I really hope the new Fighting _________ Team isn't just Miis...I have no idea where they can go with it past the Wireframe, Polygon, and Alloy teams, but I'd really like to see another one in that style.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

jivjov posted:

I really hope the new Fighting _________ Team isn't just Miis...I have no idea where they can go with it past the Wireframe, Polygon, and Alloy teams, but I'd really like to see another one in that style.

Wonderful Ones.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Anyone who was planning on doing Nintendo World, you should get here ASAP because there's a big line, and they only have Smash in the three stations off to the side of the top floor.

No video or pictures allowed either.

Doubt Best Buy would be any better.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Little Mac looked scary in that tourney but it really does look like his downfall (at least in casual play) is going to be his weak air game. He was killing it on the ground but just didn't have the air strength to break smash balls.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

jivjov posted:

I'd be okay with them being the new version of this if instead of random or generic Miis, they scoured the internet for the worst Mii versions of the characters that got into Smash 4 possible.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

F. Lobot posted:

The PDP controller has 2 Z buttons.

I don't understand why these things need to be tethered to a Wii-mote when Pro controllers don't. With 2 Z buttons, isn't it functionally a pro controller with different button layout/shapes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Can we agree that the loss of L-cancelling is bearable as long as they reduce the landing lag of the moves? Results in faster gameplay, no artificial extra division between casual and competitive play, and a quality of life improvement for everyone.

• Locked thread