Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's a no-win scenario for Miles. If he rejects girl-Keiko, she'll get pissed and say he doesn't love her anymore. If he accepts her, he's a pedo.

All I can think of is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOtls2ZvjE4

That episode would have been better if a Red Shirt had been turned into a kid and then decided to stay that way. I was watching that episode a few weeks ago and, drat, it would have been a tempting offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

DrSunshine posted:

What's wrong with "I still love you, honey, and I promise we'll have sex after we figure out how to turn you back to normal"?

Because it's O'Brien and there's NEVER an easy solution. Win or lose. There's no in-between.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Kazy posted:

You guys say the Netflix thing is a hoax, but my exclusive leaked promotional material says otherwise :colbert:

Not even kidding, that would EASILY be a better show than Voyager.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Truly, a staggeringly high bar to hurdle.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
YES, PLEASE.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Apollodorus posted:

It would also be a better show than House of Cards.

(It's not a good show.)

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mogomra posted:

Is that what happened? I just assumed no one thought past the first season.

Pretty much. Basically Fuller stepped out to do another show (I want to say it was the short lived Pushing Daises?) and then the main show runner (Kring) decided to swap to "pull whatever you are thinking out of your rear end" screenwriting with zero pre-planning (this REALLY shows with the gaping, gaping plot holes).

It's actually hilarious because at peak-train wreck, they got him back, and then tried to hype him as the single-handed savior of the show. He actually DID do a couple of surprisingly good episodes then left again, saying that the writing team was nothing like they once were and were a bunch of massively disorganized gently caress ups that couldn't agree on a single thing, and didn't resemble the group he ran before whatsoever.

I absolutely believe the guy.

A) That looks nothing at all remotely like the Enterprise and I don't even get why they are trying to do comparisons.

B) It still looks absolutely loving awesome.

Actually it reminded me way more of this (bonus points if anyone can ID it) with rings attached:

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 11, 2014

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

DrSunshine posted:

What's wrong with "I still love you, honey, and I promise we'll have sex after we figure out how to turn you back to normal"?

"What if I'd lost my arms or received a disfiguring scar from the transporter? Would we have to wait for Dr. Crusher to make me pretty again? I knew you only liked me for my looks..." Cue four hour argument and no sex for a week.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sash! posted:

That episode would have been better if a Red Shirt had been turned into a kid and then decided to stay that way. I was watching that episode a few weeks ago and, drat, it would have been a tempting offer.

Hell it didn't sound like it would've been too hard to tweak the process and make everyone 21 instead.

Then again an eternally 21 Riker would probably decimate the Federation.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 11, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Decimate? He'd start a new baby boom single-handedly.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Good lord that's some terrible science reporting.

We should probably all be thankful FTL is impossible, or we probably wouldn't exist.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You remember how any time anyone wanted to bone a new species they were supposed to get medical scans to see if it was safe?

They'd have to added the "Riker Relation" test to the mix too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

"Captain, I've compiled a list of humanoids that humans are sexually compatible with, as well as an identical list of placed I can visit family whenever we go on shore leave."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Actually it reminded me way more of this (bonus points if anyone can ID it) with rings attached:

That is a Drayman-class transport, sir. :colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

gently caress that latter-gen bullshit, this is a Drayman :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

...which I've only just noticed shares much of its profile with a Firefly. Huh.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Good lord that's some terrible science reporting.

We should probably all be thankful FTL is impossible, or we probably wouldn't exist.

An OtherworldlyInvader trying to convince us that FTL is not possible. :crossarms:

Hmmmmm how convenient it would be for you if we believed that and never tried, but I'm onto you Muton.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Data Graham posted:

gently caress that latter-gen bullshit, this is a Drayman :colbert:

Poor 1st gen Draymens. You could try and try to protect them but sooner or later, they'd accidentally run head first into something. Lemmings had a better survival rate.

jng2058 posted:

...which I've only just noticed shares much of its profile with a Firefly. Huh.

I had never noticed that before. That's pretty cool.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
I finished all of Enterprise. It wasn't too horrible and there were several episodes i legitimately enjoyed. I didn't have any major problems until I hit season 4's In A Mirror Darkly I &II. Other than their fantastic changed lead-ins they were absolute garbage. Anything with the Andorians I ended up really liking. My husband even joined me in watching mid-season 3 and all of 4, so it became a nightly thing for us.

I am now watching Voyager. I know, I have been warned by previous posts! Right now I am watching 'Time and Again.' Things haven't been too terrible yet.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Voyager seemed to have a lot of female fans and it may be because of the female captain. The last episode had a moment where Janeway and B'ellana were excitedly figuring out the science of the quantum singularity while the men sat in the background looking a bit bewildered. Goddamn was that refreshing to me. I have not watched much Voyager before, due to being stationed overseas when it aired, but if the show has even just small moments like those scattered throughout, I could see how it would keep women watching.

After watching the Enterprise sexualize T'Pol almost constantly, it has been enjoyable not to see that so far in Voyager. I guess that changes when Seven shows up? I agree too, with an earlier poster that it really does feel like TNG, which is a nice change after marathoning 4 seasons of Enterprise.

Edit::: um, ok holographic lungs. Now I know what the heck y'all were talking about. Wtf!

Svanja fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 12, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXtBwr3pR30&t=51s

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 12, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

some youtube comment posted:

ha ha, this is that episode where they want to make a crack in an event horizon. which makes as much sense as making a crack in the three point line to make three point slam dunks and layups.

That episode is so dumb. The part where they are trying to get back to voyager and they are like "oh poo poo, which ship is the right one?!" is like, wow, no wonder it's taking you so long to get home. You are apparently navigating only by sight and not keeping any navigational records. Do the helmsmen sometimes look at the viewscreen and go "oh gently caress I forgot which star I was flying towards..."

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Janeway has pretty hair and pretty pajamas.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Svanja posted:

After watching the Enterprise sexualize T'Pol almost constantly, it has been enjoyable not to see that so far in Voyager. I guess that changes when Seven shows up?

Not exactly. While she was obviously added to increase ratings because SEX APPEAL, they don't actually play that angle too often in the show. But when they do, it's usually cringeworthy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85O6HISsUTk

Though on occasion it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Kf3_KJPtM

(Warning: this one is kind of spoiler-ish, because you'll have zero context for it till you see the episode):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjN8WDaPT8k

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"YOU BECAME SEXUALLY AROUSED IN MY BODY" is the greatest line in all of Voyager and you know it

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Sash! posted:

"YOU BECAME SEXUALLY AROUSED IN MY BODY" is the greatest line in all of Voyager and you know it

Ahahaha, I totally didn't think of that one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sash! posted:

I'm mostly impressed that Ryan was able to keep a straight face.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Snak posted:

That episode is so dumb. The part where they are trying to get back to voyager and they are like "oh poo poo, which ship is the right one?!" is like, wow, no wonder it's taking you so long to get home. You are apparently navigating only by sight and not keeping any navigational records. Do the helmsmen sometimes look at the viewscreen and go "oh gently caress I forgot which star I was flying towards..."

Well uh you see Star Trek is heavily inspired by age of sail nautical traditions, and they used to navigate based on the positions of the stars, so uhhh

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Svanja posted:

I finished all of Enterprise. It wasn't too horrible and there were several episodes i legitimately enjoyed. I didn't have any major problems until I hit season 4's In A Mirror Darkly I &II. Other than their fantastic changed lead-ins they were absolute garbage. Anything with the Andorians I ended up really liking. My husband even joined me in watching mid-season 3 and all of 4, so it became a nightly thing for us.

It got a lot worse by my metric in season 3, when they really should have been finding their place and instead balanced pretty awkwardly in between creating an arc story with the Xindi plot and having the philosophical dilemma of the week. Archer has started to grate on me, the Trip/T'Pol thing gets more and more annoying, and I don't particularly like the military group as a plot point. I still have a good eight or so episodes left in season 3 and then season 4, though.

Then I have JJ Trek, which probably won't be great but has to be better than Voyager. Good luck/RIP.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Gaz-L posted:

I'm mostly impressed that Ryan was able to keep a straight face.

There's no way it didn't require, like, 12 takes.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

It got a lot worse by my metric in season 3, when they really should have been finding their place and instead balanced pretty awkwardly in between creating an arc story with the Xindi plot and having the philosophical dilemma of the week. Archer has started to grate on me, the Trip/T'Pol thing gets more and more annoying, and I don't particularly like the military group as a plot point. I still have a good eight or so episodes left in season 3 and then season 4, though.

Then I have JJ Trek, which probably won't be great but has to be better than Voyager. Good luck/RIP.

Oh gosh, the Trip/T'Pol stuff...cringe-worthy, and I wish I could tell you it gets better. I enjoyed late season 3, let me know how it goes with you!

I am also a dirty JJ Trek lover, so I'm biased there. I've watched the first one several times and the second one about 4 times. I would say its better than Voyager!

**watches Seven videos***

Oh my word...this should be interesting.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

This is less sex appeal and more :3: appeal. I love this scene, it's so adorable, it's one of my favorites in Voyager. Especially that little look of surprise Seven gives the Doctor when he starts doing the harmony thing.

Even if the show was kind of bland and mediocre and is saddled with some of the most wasted potential, they still had a few good scenes and episodes. Like BRIDE OF CHAOTICA! for example. Generally it's episodes where the actors get to actually have a little fun that are the better ones.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Bride of Chaotica! is one of those holodeck episodes that really makes use of the premise. Also it is hilarious.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Apollodorus posted:

Bride of Chaotica! is one of those holodeck episodes that really makes use of the premise. Also it is hilarious.

"Hmph! You are no match for ARACHNIA, QUEEN of the SPIDER PEOPLE!"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Final Frontier is on one of the millions of movie channels I get. I never noticed before just how many neon tubes there are in this movie. There is neon everywhere. And it's all ugly and pastel like you'd find in a supermarket. Like the Federation got this great deal on discount pink neon tubes and just decided to stick them everywhere.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Tiny pixel Data on a tiny pixel Enterprise :3: http://www.pixeltrek.com/

(I would play the hell out of an FTL-like game in this style)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pikestaff posted:

Oh my god I went to the bridge and Riker has his foot up on the helm stand like he does in the show, I'm sold.

I don't know if it'd work as an FTL-style game but gently caress it, an adventure game based on this would be amazing. Make it for mobiles, touch to move, sell to all the nerds.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 12, 2014

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

DrSunshine posted:

"Hmph! You are no match for ARACHNIA, QUEEN of the SPIDER PEOPLE!"

I would have loved to see Janeway captain the ship as Arachnia, just for one episode.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Writer Cath posted:

I would have loved to see Arachnia captain the ship as Janeway, just for one episode.
Fixed that for you. We all know that "psychopathic murderer" is a normal day at the office for the good captain.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pikestaff posted:

Bathrooms everywhere! :black101:

And the storage room on the shuttle access deck? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm pretty sure it was one of the Chaotica episodes, but I seem to recall that Voyager lost power while they were playing in the holodeck and the lights flickered.

Like, the lights in the simulation flickered. It made no goddamn sense. The light just comes from the holographic projection which remained stable. Did the program decide that since the lights went down in the reset of the ship that it should adapt the simulation to do the same?

• Locked thread