Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Probably not, Ultimax seems to be a full on sequel right down to the story mode, character additions, and new mechanics. THere's a lot they've added and they're charging full retail price for it it seems. I'm gonna buy it because I enjoy the fighting games, but yeah if you don't particularly care for them, you might not get as much out of this version as you did Arena, especially with the 60 dollar price tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
It's taking everything in my willpower not to pre-order that Persona Q bundle right now.

Stay, credit card, stay.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, I'll probably wait for a price drop like I did for Arena then, looks cool but yea, not a big fighting games dude so not really into paying sixty bucks for an upgrade/sequel/whatever, I do like what they're doing with it though.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I probably won't get Ultimax just because I'm not a big fighting games dude (but I did like Arena), are they doing like Street Fighter where if you bought Arena on PSN you can buy the upgrade for cheap?

No, because Ultimax is 1. A hugely different game to Arena and 2. An atlus game.

Ultimax is really just a completely different game. It has enough changes to warrant a new purchase, and the overall game feel is really different.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Is it different in the way that the latest version of Street Fighter 4 is to the original release? The story stuff is what interests me (not much since Arena is bad, but I can't help but be curious) but it looked a lot like that kind of roster update game as opposed to a full sequel. I don't really know enough about how they play to know though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The seven new characters, mechanical changes, story mode, golden arena, old characters being rebalanced and given new moves, shadow forms, new stages, music, and the fact that this game might be wrapping up Persona 3 and 4 altogether makes it a lot different than a balance change with new characters like what USF4 is. That being said Super Street Fighter IV is sort of similar to Ultimax in the changes it received and how it was treated, the updates after SSFIV are all basically standard balance changes with the new characters here and there.

It seems like Ultimax might be the last version of Arena that is going to exist and they are going all out with the things they are doing which is probably what makes this a full priced game.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Also I am pretty sure this was mentioned but Arena 2 will have the full story mode of Arena 1 included for free. I think they said it was DLC.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They said there will be a DLC summarizing the events of Arena.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Is it different in the way that the latest version of Street Fighter 4 is to the original release? The story stuff is what interests me (not much since Arena is bad, but I can't help but be curious) but it looked a lot like that kind of roster update game as opposed to a full sequel. I don't really know enough about how they play to know though.

Lots of mechanical changes, lots of character additions (Full cast shadow type + new characters and their shadows), Overall changes to how the modes work (there are now difficulty levels for score attack and different "sets" and challenge runs), Characters are tweaked to fix the balance and change their playstyle so that even if you love the old game you don't feel like it's just the same update-sequel stuff. Akihiko doesn't even play like he used to -- which to some people may be scary, but it's interesting from a mechanical perspective.

Also, full new story with character routes.

I doubt Ultimax will be the last, though. If only because it's popular over here in Japan and there is no reason not to add the rest of the cast/more SMT characters. You know how Atlus likes their cash.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think Ultimax might be the last, because it feels like Atlus doesn't want to tie their brand to one thing entirely. They're trying to ride their money train as much as they can before it stops coming and Ultimax sort of feels like the end to all of that (Well aside from the fact that P4D is still coming out after it). What with a big fan favorite addition like Adachi, the story mode having even higher stakes than P4A, stuff like the cover showing all of the characters as if this is like the ultimate scrap to end them all, and even that we're getting the god boss in this game.

It could go on, but I don't see this train lasting forever and they don't have more P3/4 characters they can keep adding before they have to start pulling from the wells of significantly less popular games that no one cares about. It feels like at that point they'd just be beating a dead horse, which I think Atlus is smart enough to know to get while the getting is good and drop it before their good will runs out. I dunno though, this is just speculation on my part with no concrete basis.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Beef Waifu posted:

It could go on, but I don't see this train lasting forever and they don't have more P3/4 characters they can keep adding before they have to start pulling from the wells of significantly less popular games that no one cares about.

They can still add Minato, FeMC, Shinji, Strega, Margaret, Theo, Dojima...

Sure, plot wise it wouldn't made a lot of sense to have them but at this point logical plots are the last thig Atlus is worried about.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hahahaha who the gently caress cares about Strega? Like I think Chidori is the only relatively popular one in that team and even she is only slightly above Kanji's spot on polls, this is not even mentioning they're all probably dead (Again, except Chidori). I gotta admit though, I'm relatively surprised they haven't made Margaret playable.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

beef waifu i have to point out you are always uncomfortably hostile and passive-aggressive about how you know everything so maybe you should just make all our posts for us tia.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm actually full of the most poo poo, sorry to inform you.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dojima is a bad idea, it's just hilarious so people keep bringing it up. Theo would feel redundant, especially if they added Margaret. Everyone else there is dead or can't summon a Persona anymore. Going so far out of their way to gently caress with canon, not to mention the major themes of Persona 3, just to have those characters would not be a good idea.

Also FeMC will never be acknowledged again in anything. :(

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

They can still add Minato, FeMC, Shinji, Strega, Margaret, Theo, Dojima...

Sure, plot wise it wouldn't made a lot of sense to have them but at this point logical plots are the last thig Atlus is worried about.

Elizabeth's entire thing in Arena is that she's searching for a way to save Minato/MC/Fuckass so if Ultimax is supposed to be wrapping up the plots of these games I'd be surprised if he doesn't at least cameo in some way. Maybe as just a story event thing if not a later DLC character.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MrAristocrates posted:

Dojima is a bad idea, it's just hilarious so people keep bringing it up. Theo would feel redundant, especially if they added Margaret. Everyone else there is dead or can't summon a Persona anymore. Going so far out of their way to gently caress with canon just to have those characters would not be a good idea.

Oh I know, but if Atlus really wants to milk Arena for all its worth they have those characters to make a quick buck. Since P3/P4 became a hit Atlus has become kind of lazy and just throwing poo poo at the wall with those characters to see what sticks.

I want another Raidou game, or a Dissidia Megaten :smith:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would really love it if Vincent and Raidou could work their way into a fighting game, I don't care how. On the subject of the other characters, I apologize Tzitzimine, if that come off as derisive of you. That's something I just found legit funny because all I can imagine is people seeing that announcement and being like "Uh, okay." Dojima would be fine as like a joke character, which is what they were planning to do with him to begin with since Nanako was gonna be his persona. Shinjiro's dead, Strega is possibly mostly dead, the P3MC could have something I guess, FemC ain't happening ever as much as I hate to say it.

Margaret and Theo could totally work though, I'd actually imagine Margaret might be a DLC character for Ultimax since ArcSys still has a few months and they like their console characters, but again I have no real basis for that.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 11, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

His Persona can be Doom's Bride.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
The only character I could see being added to Ultimax at this point would be Margaret. They could make it so that she could be an interesting counter-point to Elizabeth in terms of play style by having Margaret crib physical supers from the cast as her specials instead of magic ones like Elizabeth does. You could also add a float mechanic to her as well if you really wanted to. The only problem would be what would she actually use as a Persona, since she doesn't have a uniquely designed one she could readily steal for herself.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

Dojima is a bad idea, it's just hilarious so people keep bringing it up. Theo would feel redundant, especially if they added Margaret. Everyone else there is dead or can't summon a Persona anymore. Going so far out of their way to gently caress with canon, not to mention the major themes of Persona 3, just to have those characters would not be a good idea.

They should just make the games non canon and then they can do whatever the gently caress they want and bring in any characters they want. I still don't get why they didn't do that in the first place, it would have been cool.

Also I don't really need more Persona 4 spinoffs, much as I love that game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess they felt they wanted to give purpose to the game's existence rather than it being straight up fanservice, but pulling Adachi from his cell is kind of edging towards that territory.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I want them to continue Arena until they put P1 and P2 characters in it, dammit!

...It's gonna happen eventually. Right?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hellioning posted:

I want them to continue Arena until they put P1 and P2 characters in it, dammit!

...It's gonna happen eventually. Right?

See Atlus adding the Full Moon bosses instead :v:

Beef Waifu posted:

I would really love it if Vincent and Raidou could work their way into a fighting game, I don't care how. On the subject of the other characters, I apologize Tzitzimine, if that come off as derisive of you. That's something I just found legit funny because all I can imagine is people seeing that announcement and being like "Uh, okay." Dojima would be fine as like a joke character, which is what they were planning to do with him to begin with since Nanako was gonna be his persona. Shinjiro's dead, Strega is possibly mostly dead, the P3MC could have something I guess, FemC ain't happening ever as much as I hate to say it.

Margaret and Theo could totally work though, I'd actually imagine Margaret might be a DLC character for Ultimax since ArcSys still has a few months and they like their console characters, but again I have no real basis for that.

Is cool man I also think it would be a really stupid idea but after DAN, I believe Atlus willing to do anything to keep riding the P3/P4 train.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The next game is a retelling of The Fox and the Hound starring Koromaru and the Hermit link fox.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Hellioning posted:

I want them to continue Arena until they put P2 characters in it, dammit!

Just give me Baofu, Katsuya and Eikichi. Everyone else I can take or leave.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Uh... the Führer?!?

P2 dudes would be pretty rad, it's too bad that it is really, really not gonna happen.

Hearing good things about how some the new dudes play out though, so... hopeful? As long as they play uniquely enough.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Dragonatrix posted:

Ahem, Ulala. Baofu may be the best but Ulala is still second-best.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

The arena games, while extremely excellent fighters, are still fanservice games. The only reason they're being made is because people will buy games with their favorite characters animated in ways different than the original game. So yeah, Atlus will pump out as many versions as they can with as many new characters as they can because, at least here in Japan, people will buy them just on the basis of liking a single character.

Just look at their Blazblue track record, those games sell relatively well and have pretty much just become self-referential character bingo. Same with stuff like Melty Blood. Don't ever underestimate the power of adding cameo characters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It doesn't need to be a fighting game though is the point. It doesn't matter if the next game that continues the story is in the same genre, which Arena itself proves. Though I think that so long as Persona 5 is well regarded that'll be when they stop doing these fan service games based primarily on P4. Assuming P5 has nothing to do with 3/4 at any rate.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I thought all the VR training quests were basically garbage in SMTIV. Then I unlocked #6 and #8. Holy poo poo.

I know it's stupid as hell but I just could not stop laughing at R. Lee Ermey quotes with all the censorship as "hee-ho"s.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gamestop has their Persona Q special Edition page up online. Probably extends to in store as well.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I thought all the VR training quests were basically garbage in SMTIV. Then I unlocked #6 and #8. Holy poo poo.

I know it's stupid as hell but I just could not stop laughing at R. Lee Ermey quotes with all the censorship as "hee-ho"s.

Demonheeho (I forget his name) is totally the best demon and never left my party after I saw that and fused him. :allears:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

ChaosArgate posted:

Demonheeho (I forget his name) is totally the best demon and never left my party after I saw that and fused him. :allears:

Plus he's actually got probably the best Almighty skill in the game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It looks like Persona Q has a V1.1 update adding a DLC menu, also something about changing navigation voices in the party menu?

http://p-ch.jp/news/detail/?nid=131

Updated content

Title menu from "Add content", additional content to purchase, I can now download. In addition, the "party organization" from the "Navi Settings", I can now change the voice of navigation.

E: Those earlier spoilers I posted are looking to be true, so be warned spoilers are around.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 11, 2014

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

November 25th? That's starting to stretch the definition of "fall '14" guys :(.

Let me play the chibi demon game please.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dehry posted:

E: Those earlier spoilers I posted are looking to be true, so be warned spoilers are around.

Bummer, those were kind of lame. Guess I'll be picking up Q just for the fanservice then.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

projecthalaxy posted:

November 25th? That's starting to stretch the definition of "fall '14" guys :(.

Let me play the chibi demon game please.

Seriously I know nothing of localization but does it really need that long to translate things? It's not like they have to remove a bunch of cultural references and poo poo, just make Chie do her bland rear end 'oh is this the time' or whatever line again guys!

I'm trying hard to avoid spoilers too, so all I've listened to is the music.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

5~6 months for a localization isn't terribly long, geeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm finding it difficult to care at all about Persona Q. Which is weird, since I'm a fan of Persona and Etrian Odyssey. Looking forward to DAN, though.